PDA

View Full Version : Reds release Jeff Francis

Redsfan320
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
According to MLBTR, he exercised a June 1 opt-out clause. That's kind of a hit to our starting pitching depth.

cumberlandreds
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
According to MLBTR, he exercised a June 1 opt-out clause. That's kind of a hit to our starting pitching depth.

Not really. Other than a warm body being put on the mound I can't see that it affects it that much. You could probably pick up another one just like him without much of a problem.

Unassisted
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Then technically, the Reds didn't release him, he walked away from his ml deal with them, correct?

klw
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
I guess that shutout he threw the other night must have gotten someone's attention. I wonder where he will sign- I imagine one of the Oswalt losers would have an interest.

Redsfan320
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Then technically, the Reds didn't release him, he walked away from his ml deal with them, correct?

IDK. MLBTR says "released at his request", then later goes on to say he exercised a June 1 opt-out.

RedsManRick
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I guess that shutout he threw the other night must have gotten someone's attention. I wonder where he will sign- I imagine one of the Oswalt losers would have an interest.

Yeah; I imagine that typically goes the way of the agent talking with other clubs and only having his guy opt out once he's got something better lined up.

CySeymour
06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Usually a team will have at least one starter go down for a start or two. He just got unlucky to be with a team who has been blessed with good health so far. Can't blame him for looking for something elsewhere.

puca
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
The paper thin starting depth just got thinner.

WildcatFan
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
That's too bad. I really thought he had a chance to make some starts with the big league club to spell Leake. Hopefully he gets a shot to bounce back somewhere.

marcshoe
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I understand him doing this, as it looks as if the Reds won't be needing another starter in the near future and he likely has an immediate chance elsewhere. The problem comes for the Reds if a starter goes down or becomes ineffective long-term. I'd be okay using Simon for a few spot starts or even Tomko for a short-term gig, but I don't want to see either of them, or anyone in Louisville, become a regular in the rotation. I hope Walt's looking into other options.

dougdirt
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM

He wouldn't have been the first guy I would have called up anyways (at least in a situation where I couldn't choose my guy rather than picking the guy who was on the same schedule).

puca
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
He wouldn't have been the first guy I would have called up anyways (at least in a situation where I couldn't choose my guy rather than picking the guy who was on the same schedule).

So who would be that guy?

Tom Servo
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Too bad, I liked Francis. Best of luck to him.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I wonder if he doesn't end up back with the Rockies. That's where he's had his success and their rotation isn't anything to write home about.

dougdirt
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
So who would be that guy?

Villarreal.

Vottomatic
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Nah.

LeCure
Hoover
Chapman

Plenty of options. And they could call up Donnie Joseph to relieve and move one of them into the starting rotation. Especially if one of the starters was only going to miss 1 or 2 starts.

Hoover has slightly more time in the minors starting than relieving. And quite effectively from what I've read.

Lecure has filled in before.

.....and everyone is licking their chops to see Chapman start.

I'm not worried about starting pitching depth.

And if/when Bray and Masset return, the roster moves might really get interesting.

RedlegJake
06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Everyone but Doug has ignored the real starting pitching depth at Louisville - Pedro Villareal. His numbers are better than Francis. His stuff is better. He's pitched decently since his promotion from Pensacola where he pitched really well. If the Reds need a spot start or two I'd expect Villareal to get the look. He's already on the 40 man, has all his options left and doesn't beat himself with walks and has only given up 2 homers in 65 innings this year.

HokieRed
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Everyone but Doug has ignored the real starting pitching depth at Louisville - Pedro Villareal. His numbers are better than Francis. His stuff is better. He's pitched decently since his promotion from Pensacola where he pitched really well. If the Reds need a spot start or two I'd expect Villareal to get the look. He's already on the 40 man, has all his options left and doesn't beat himself with walks and has only given up 2 homers in 65 innings this year.

Not everyone. I pushed him all through this year's prospect poll. Excellent K to W ratio, very low home runs--consistently. And he finished last year strongly at AA and picked that right up again this year. Has been decent at Lville.

puca
06-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Villarreal.

I was sort of wondering if he was your guy. I hope he is ready when/if they need him because chances are they will.

puca
06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Nah.

LeCure
Hoover
Chapman

Plenty of options. And they could call up Donnie Joseph to relieve and move one of them into the starting rotation. Especially if one of the starters was only going to miss 1 or 2 starts.

Hoover has slightly more time in the minors starting than relieving. And quite effectively from what I've read.

Lecure has filled in before.

.....and everyone is licking their chops to see Chapman start.

I'm not worried about starting pitching depth.

And if/when Bray and Masset return, the roster moves might really get interesting.

I'm fairly certain the 'Chapman to starter' experiment will not happen this year, at least while the Reds are in contention. They value the closer role way to much for that to happen.

I'm not sure Hoover is a good choice. He hasn't been a full time starter since 2010 and has only started 18 games above A+ ball.

LeCure certainly has the experieince but he has been a meh starter his whole career. I'd be okay with him filling in for a start or two while they got someone else (maybe Villarreal) on schedule.

So by process of elimination, if they didn't think Villarreal was ready I'm guessing Simon would be the guy.

mth123
06-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I'm fairly certain the 'Chapman to starter' experiment will not happen this year, at least while the Reds are in contention. They value the closer role way to much for that to happen.

I'm not sure Hoover is a good choice. He hasn't been a full time starter since 2010 and has only started 18 games above A+ ball.

LeCure certainly has the experieince but he has been a meh starter his whole career. I'd be okay with him filling in for a start or two while they got someone else (maybe Villarreal) on schedule.

So by process of elimination, if they didn't think Villarreal was ready I'm guessing Simon would be the guy.

If its only for a start or two, I think they'd just call-up whoever from Louisville's turn it is. Longer stints may require a deal. A sleeper may be Kyle Lotzkar. He's pitching well at AA and is on the 40 man roster.

I wonder who fills Francis' spot in the AAA rotation. Jamie Moyer anyone?

powersackers
06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Francis did indeed sign with the Rockies.

RedlegJake
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
If its only for a start or two, I think they'd just call-up whoever from Louisville's turn it is. Longer stints may require a deal. A sleeper may be Kyle Lotzkar. He's pitching well at AA and is on the 40 man roster.

I wonder who fills Francis' spot in the AAA rotation. Jamie Moyer anyone?

Moyer already signed a minor league deal deal with the Orioles

powersackers
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Moyer already signed a minor league deal deal with the Orioles

LHP Ryan Feierebend (Feierabend) replaced Francis per the bats probably pitchers listing. Friday night will be his org debut for CIN. Even the Bats can't spell his name right. Let's hope the jersey is correct.

RedlegJake
06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
LHP Ryan Feierebend (Feierabend) replaced Francis per the bats probably pitchers listing. Friday night will be his org debut for CIN. Even the Bats can't spell his name right. Let's hope the jersey is correct.

If its pronounced Fire-Bend that's not a half bad name for a pitcher....

camisadelgolf
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
For those of you aspiring to speak German, Feierabend translated literally means "celebration evening", but Germans usually know it as a celebration or rest that follows hard work.

CTA513
06-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Francis pitched for the Rockies today: 3 Innings, 10 Hits, 8 Runs, 1 BB, 1 K

Captain Hook
06-09-2012, 06:16 PM

It's so refreshing to see that there are big league teams that will sign and insert into their starting rotation, guys that the Reds no longer need on their AAA team.

Dan
06-09-2012, 07:01 PM
It's so refreshing to see that there are big league teams that will sign and insert into their starting rotation, guys that the Reds no longer need on their AAA team.

Remember when it used to be the other way around?

cincinnati chili
06-09-2012, 09:15 PM

And if it's possible, he looked much worse than his line. It's sad because this guy could have been a really good major league pitcher if he hadn't gotten hurt. He was topping out around 86.

traderumor
06-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Moyer already signed a minor league deal deal with the OriolesThis is ridiculous. Moyer has nothing. Other than Sideshow Bob, what's the deal? If they want his experience, hire him as a coach.