PDA

View Full Version : Billings

Benihana
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
When does the season start? What could the Billings team look like? Here's a first (wild) guess...

CF Amaral
3B Rosa
SS Rahier
LF Winker
1B ???
RF Matthews
2B Fiorentino/Phillips
C Hudson

SP Stephenson
SP Cisco
SP Guillon
SP Travieso
SP Moscot/Mugarian

(Assuming Garrett, Romano, and Felt (if he signs) start in the AZL. Gelalich and Langfield start in Dayton)

dougdirt
06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I would expect Travieso in the AZL.

RedlegJake
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I would expect Travieso in the AZL.

Yep. Working with him same as they've done with Stephenson.

camisadelgolf
06-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I thought Mugarian was hurt. Here's a quick guess on the roster:
C Joe Hudson
1B Robert Maddox
2B Adam Muenster?
3B Robert Ramirez
SS Sammy Diaz
LF Beau Amaral
CF Jeff Gelalich
RF Jon Matthews
DH Brennan May
C Julio Morillo
C Fray Sosa
1B Carlos Sanchez
OF Spencer Dickinson
OF Wilfrel Estevez

SP Robert Stephenson
SP Drew Cisco
SP Ismael Guillon
SP Jon Moscot
SP Joel Bender
RP Dan Langfield
RP Nick Fleece
RP Tony Amezcua
RP Jesus Adames
RP Porfirio Martinez
RP Kevin Arico
RP Alejandro Chacin
RP Mitch Clarke
RP Carlos Gonzalez

RedlegJake
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
looks like a pretty good roster right there. some real power in Maddox, Hudson, possibly Ramirez and Gelalich, real good arms in Cisco, Stephenson, Guillon, Langfield, and plenty of guys to watch Chcin, Martinez, Moscot, Gonzalez etc

Benihana
06-05-2012, 06:45 PM
IMO first round HS picks, especially those in the top half of the round should go to Billings. A first (sandwich) round college hitter like Gelalich should go to Dayton.

Stephenson is on one of the slower timelines of first round pitchers from last year's draft. Most first rounders pitch in A ball by their second season.

dougdirt
06-05-2012, 07:03 PM
IMO first round HS picks, especially those in the top half of the round should go to Billings. A first (sandwich) round college hitter like Gelalich should go to Dayton.

Stephenson is on one of the slower timelines of first round pitchers from last year's draft. Most first rounders pitch in A ball by their second season.

When have the Reds started a HS pitcher at Billings the year they were drafted? I can't recall the last time it happened.

corkedbat
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Is Ty Washington still around? I believe YRod is on the Billings or Goodyear roster too. Not sure if he'll go back to Dayton after the short-season clubs start.

camisadelgolf
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Is Ty Washington still around? I believe YRod is on the Billings or Goodyear roster too. Not sure if he'll go back to Dayton after the short-season clubs start.
Yes, he is, but he won't turn 19 until September. Players that young are usually in Florida/Arizona.

Jay Bruce
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
When have the Reds started a HS pitcher at Billings the year they were drafted? I can't recall the last time it happened.

I believe Chris Gruler started in Billings, nothing ominous there...

dougdirt
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I believe Chris Gruler started in Billings, nothing ominous there...

Yeah, no one from this regime is around since the last time it happened. It won't be happening this year. If he earns it like Wood and Lotzkar did, then we could see him there. But he will have to go out to Arizona and earn it first.

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, no question Travieso will start his pro career with the AZL Reds. And I bet they'll keep his inning total extremely low. That's still a jump on what we saw from Stephenson last year, which was nothing. Looking forward to seeing him at Billings this year.

redsmetz
06-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Yeah, no question Travieso will start his pro career with the AZL Reds. And I bet they'll keep his inning total extremely low. That's still a jump on what we saw from Stephenson last year, which was nothing. Looking forward to seeing him at Billings this year.

Did Stephenson sign late last summer? I don't remember now.

corkedbat
06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Here's my WAG (as it now stands):

(OF) Jeff Gelalich and (RHP) Dan Langfield start out in Dayton.

Goodyear

CF Beau Amarl
2B Ty Washington
3B Tanner Rahier
RF Jesse Winker
1B Yimmy Lopez
DH Seth Mejias-Brean
CA Joe Hudson
LF Daniel Piggott
SS Brent Peterson

IF Philip Bauer
IF Robert Ramirez
OF Matt Lentz
CA Julio Morillo

Robert Stephenson
Nick Travieso
Amir Garrett (L)
Carlos Gonzalez
Andrew Cisco
(DL) Jeremy Kivel
Ben Klimesh
Nick Fleece
Erik Alessio
Cesar Caceras
Carlos Ramios
Tyree Hayes
Mason Felt (L)
Jon Moscot
Matt Boyd (L)
Lucas Moran

Billings

CF Dayne Read
2B Sammy Diaz
RF Spencer Dickinson
3B Gabe Rosa
DH Brennan May
1B Carlos Sanchez
RF Drew Poulk
CA Fray Sosa
SS Humberto Valor

IF Adam Muenster
IF Cristobel Rodriguez
OF Winfrel Estevez
OF Jon Matthews
CA Wagner Gomez

Wes Mugarian
Ishmail Guillon (L)
Mitch Clarke
Joel Bender (L)
Sal Romano
Eliezar Beard
Abel De Los Santos
Po Cheng-Chi
Jim Moran
Matt Leonard (L)
Patrick Quinn
Jessus Adames
Jose Amezcua
Porfinio Martinez
Aguido Gonzalez (L)
Kevin Arico
Alejandro Chacin

Of course, there won't be that many pitchers on either squad, it pre-supposes all drafted so far will sign and there are 25 more selections tomorrow. The first five pitchers listed for each team would be the probable starters.

lollipopcurve
06-06-2012, 07:27 AM
I believe Dayne Read retired. I think Amaral will be in Billings. Pigott and Hudson too. I'd also switch Peterson and Valor. College guys, especially those drafted in earlier rounds, tend to go to Billings. We'll see with Gelalich and Langfield....

icehole3
06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
sounds like Travieso will get treated like fine china

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120605/COL03/120605043/Doc-Reds-pick-brings-bad-memories

dougdirt
06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
What a terrible article. Seriously, I don't even understand the point of it other than to try and scare people into thinking this was a bad pick. A fastball is never the reason someone hurts their arm. It is how they throw the pitch. Butcher of an article.

Az. Reds Fan
06-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Anyone know if Carter Morrison is still in the Reds organization? I haven't seen anywhere that he was released, but I don't think he played at all last year.

camisadelgolf
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Anyone know if Carter Morrison is still in the Reds organization? I haven't seen anywhere that he was released, but I don't think he played at all last year.
He was released earlier this year.

Az. Reds Fan
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

icehole3
06-06-2012, 12:18 PM
What a terrible article. Seriously, I don't even understand the point of it other than to try and scare people into thinking this was a bad pick. A fastball is never the reason someone hurts their arm. It is how they throw the pitch. Butcher of an article.

As Dr. Kremchek said, “You only have so many pitches in your arm, at least that you can throw where you want to.’’

that is pretty scarey :scared:

Superdude
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
As Dr. Kremchek said, “You only have so many pitches in your arm, at least that you can throw where you want to.’’

that is pretty scarey :scared:

Same goes for every pitcher ever. I'm with Doug; terrible article.

camisadelgolf
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Par for the course. Thank goodness for C. Trent Rosecrans and Jamie Ramsey.

Benihana
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
This could be a reason to send Travieso to Billings:

The 18-year-old Travieso, who stands at 6-foot-2 and weighs 215 pounds, is also friends with Tony Fossas, who happens to be the pitching coach for the Reds' Rookie League affiliate in Billings, Mont.

It all added up to the Reds making Travieso their first-round selection on Monday night.
"I've kind of grown with him in the last year," Travieso said of Fossas. "It feels amazing just to be selected in the Draft at all, especially going to a city like Cincinnati. I've been dreaming about this day my whole life."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120604&content_id=32756160&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin