PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/6

chicoruiz
06-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Reds:

Matt Belisle (32) -Always seemd like a nice kid; glad he's had some success with the Rockies.

Jeremy Affeldt (33) -A Red in 2008; like Belisle he's pitched better as an ex-Red.

Brooks Kieschnick (40) -Had a cup of coffee withthe 2004 Reds. Only two-time college player of the year. Able to pitch and hit at a decent, if not great, level.

Max Venable (55) -A spare OF with the Reds from 85 through 87. Father of ML player Will, and Boise State football player Winston.

Merv Rettenmund (69) -He only got 400 plate appearances in a season once, but he could always hit- that is, until he came to the Reds in 1974 and instantly lost it.

Others:

Bill Dickey -When I was a kid, Dickey was the consensus top catcher of all time. Now that we understand more about things like park effects he's probably not in the top ten, but he wa a good player.

Bill Lange -Nicknamed "Little Eva", for unknown reasons probably not related to the song The Locomotion"...A great power/speed combination for his time; Connie Mack called him the greatest base runner he ever saw...Retired at age 28 when his fiance's father refused to let her marry a ball player...One of his nephews, George "Highpockets" Kelly, is in the Hall of Fame.

oneupper
06-06-2012, 08:10 AM
My Marriage (25) :)

Rettenmund for Grimsley IMO is easily one of the REDS worst trades ever, up there with the Robinson and Hamilton deals.

Bob Borkowski
06-06-2013, 05:59 PM

Happy Anniversary, oneupper! :thumbup:

cumberlandreds
06-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Rettenmund for Grimsley IMO is easily one of the REDS worst trades ever, up there with the Robinson and Hamilton deals.

I'm hoping you are celebrating number 26 today! Happy Anniversary!

I don't think Sparky liked Grimsley and that was reason behind that trade. At the time Rettenmund looked like a good young hitter with the Orioles but sure didn't do anything with the Reds.