PDA

View Full Version : Something other than coffee brewing in Seattle

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 01:43 AM
That is all. Appears to be of the mixed variety.

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 01:57 AM
*?

Very close play.

VR
06-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Chris Carpenter is fired up that Brendan Ryan is finally making plays at short.

mbgrayson
06-09-2012, 01:58 AM
A combined no hitter, Mariners beat the Dodgers 1-0 with Millwood throwing 6 innings before leaving with a groin injury. Then finished up by 5 different Mariner relievers.... 10th combined no-no in MLB history.

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the whole "jinx a no hitter" thing. There's no such thing.

/this post is only half serious

mbgrayson
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the whole "jinx a no hitter" thing. There's no such thing.

/this post is only half serious

As a no -hitter??? LOL

WVRedsFan
06-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Is it just me or are no-hitters a little more common than they used to be? I asked this in the scoreboard watching thread, but I can remember as a kid that a no-no was so special. With, what is it, four this year, we seem to see them all the time.

VR
06-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Good for the Mariners.

dougdirt
06-09-2012, 02:05 AM
A question just posed on twitter: Is Kevin Millwood the only guy on the no hitter list who has done it both by himself and with the help of teammates?

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 02:06 AM
As a no -hitter??? LOL

No, a jinx, haha. :D

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 02:07 AM
A question just posed on twitter: Is Kevin Millwood the only guy on the no hitter list who has done it both by himself and with the help of teammates?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

dougdirt
06-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Kent Mercker.

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Is it just me or are no-hitters a little more common than they used to be? I asked this in the scoreboard watching thread, but I can remember as a kid that a no-no was so special. With, what is it, four this year, we seem to see them all the time.

Pause to consider that there may have been 2 no-hitters in the last 10 days that would not exist if replay existed.

- Nothing conclusive from me yet on the Dee Gordon play...it is too late to analyze frame by frame...but on TIVO replay my gut reaction was that "tie goes to the runner". The morning may prove me wrong, but again, it is late.

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Kent Mercker.

I knew that, dangit. :banghead:

reds44
06-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Pause to consider that there may have been 2 no-hitters in the last 10 days that would not exist if replay existed.

- Nothing conclusive from me yet on the Dee Gordon play...it is too late to analyze frame by frame...but on TIVO replay my gut reaction was that "tie goes to the runner". The morning may prove me wrong, but again, it is late.
Tie goes to the no hitter.

gilpdawg
06-09-2012, 03:45 AM
I thought he was safe.

jojo
06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Guess I'm gonna have to pull the teal Mercury Mariner out of the garage this morning and give it a wash. Baseball has been very fun the last few weeks.

jojo
06-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Kent Mercker.

Vida Blue as well. There's a name from the past. I remember Pete Rose saying Blue was one of the hardest guys to hit that he faced. Face a lefty that can throw gas a plus change and a hammer curve? No thanks!

BCubb2003
06-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Vida Blue as well. There's a name from the past. I remember Pete Rose saying Blue was one of the hardest guys to hit that he faced. Face a lefty that can throw gas a plus change and a hammer curve? No thanks!

Can you imagine Vida Blue as a Red?

mbgrayson
06-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Can you imagine Vida Blue as a Red?

Well, he is 62 years old now, but can he pitch like Jamie Moyer? Whose place in the rotation would he take? ;)

Sea Ray
06-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Guess I'm gonna have to pull the teal Mercury Mariner out of the garage this morning and give it a wash. Baseball has been very fun the last few weeks.

I'll say. A no hitter after scoring a three TD win over the Rangers a short while back.

George Anderson
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
-but on TIVO replay my gut reaction was that "tie goes to the runner". .

No such rule.

One of those little league sayings about a rule that just doesn't exist.

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 11:21 AM
No such rule.

Johnny Carson voice - "I did not know that"

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I missed this game by two days. I'm in Seattle this weekend and am going to the game Sunday. The M's are the only team in MLB that I haven't seen in person.

In typical Seattle fashion, at the bar last night where I was watching the game, maybe three other fans even knew/cared that their team was in the process of throwing a no-no.

Sea Ray
06-09-2012, 12:11 PM
No such rule.

If the throw doesn't beat the runner then isn't he safe? I would think that essentially it does say that

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
If the throw doesn't beat the runner then isn't he safe? I would think that essentially it does say that

All that is stated is that the runner must beat the ball.

BCubb2003
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
All that is stated is that the runner must beat the ball.

That would mean the tie goes to the ball ...

George Anderson
06-09-2012, 02:02 PM
That would mean the tie goes to the ball ...

Ties do not exist. They are either safe or out. Unless you are at the little league level no coach or umpire will say such a thing and expect to be taken seriously.

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Ties do not exist. They are either safe or out. Unless you are at the little league level no coach or umpire will say such a thing and expect to be taken seriously.

I could swear I've heard announcers state the tie thing as well...just a myth I now see.

reds1869
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I could swear I've heard announcers state the tie thing as well...just a myth I now see.

From one MLB veteran umpire:

I am an umpire for Little League. The coach told me that ties go to the runner. I said the batter has to beat the throw to first because there are no such thing as ties. Who is right?
-- L.M.F.

McClelland: That is exactly right. There are no ties and there is no rule that says the tie goes to the runner. But the rule book does say that the runner must beat the ball to first base, and so if he doesn't beat the ball, then he is out. So you have to make the decision. That's why umpires are paid the money they are, to make the decision on if he did or if he didn't. The only thing you can do is go by whether or not he beat the ball. If he did, then he is safe.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/feature.jsp?feature=mcclellandqa

kaldaniels
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Tie business aside what do you guys think about that play with Gordon?

(I'm going with "out")

reds1869
06-09-2012, 02:47 PM

(I'm going with "out")

After watching multiple times from different angles I'm pretty sure he was out.

George Anderson
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM

(I'm going with "out")

He was out.

The same reasoning above. If the runner didn't beat the throw then he is out. Gordon didn't beat the throw so he is out.

Sea Ray
06-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Good for the Mariners.

You'd think a win like this would help a team but it sure hasn't. Here we are a week later and the M's haven't won a game, mired in a 6 game losing streak and in the basement of the AL West. How do you figure this one out?

Our Reds lost a heart breaker on national TV and they haven't lost since...

Rojo
06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
You'd think a win like this would help a team but it sure hasn't. Here we are a week later and the M's haven't won a game, mired in a 6 game losing streak and in the basement of the AL West. How do you figure this one out?

Our Reds lost a heart breaker on national TV and they haven't lost since...

Saw them last night against the Giants. They're awful. I wouldn't watch them either.

WebScorpion
06-17-2012, 03:02 AM

Our Reds lost a heart breaker on national TV and they haven't lost since...That's baseball for you. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, everything turns around and heads the other way. :dunno:

In baseball, all things are possible. ;)

Sea Ray
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Saw them last night against the Giants. They're awful. I wouldn't watch them either.

To their credit, they got over 30K last night and are expecting over 40K today. Not only are they terrible, they're boring as all get out. Their marquee player, Ichiro, is hitting .260. It's a painstaking process for them to score runs. I watch them in small doses. They had their offensive breakout game of the week last night