PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox to designate Marlon Byrd for assignment

hebroncougar
06-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Reports have the Red Sox will designate Marlon Byrd today to activate Dice K. I would definitely have serious interest if I were Walt.

Kc61
06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Reports have the Red Sox will designate Marlon Byrd today to activate Dice K. I would definitely have serious interest if I were Walt.

I would pass. Diminishing OPS. Last year, a full year with the Cubs, .719 OPS. Another righty bat.

Has had a good career, but at this point, I don't see the big upside over Heisey/Ludwick and I don't see how Byrd diversifies the offense.

westofyou
06-09-2012, 12:37 PM
If he goes through waivers he'll probably be plucked before the Reds get a chance

blumj
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
If he goes through waivers he'll probably be plucked before the Reds get a chance
You should hope so. Here are the OFs on the Red Sox current 25 man roster: Ryan Sweeney, Daniel Nava, Darnell McDonald, and Scott Podsednik. That's the field he had to beat out just one of to hold onto a roster spot.

mth123
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
If he makes it to the Reds, he's worth a look over the 25th men that the Reds are running out there. His ability to play all three OF spots may free the team to include Stubbs or Heisey in a deal for something more substantial. He doesn't really solve any problems on his own, but the lack of another true CF reserve may be part of what prevents the team from changing the mix a bit with Heisey or Stubbs going in a deal

vic715
06-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I would pass. Diminishing OPS. Last year, a full year with the Cubs, .719 OPS. Another righty bat.

Has had a good career, but at this point, I don't see the big upside over Heisey/Ludwick and I don't see how Byrd diversifies the offense.

719 ops!!! sign him up.

powersackers
06-10-2012, 04:11 PM
He can have the Negron spot and out OPS him by 200 pts. Yes we should look at it. Only caveat being Rolens return.

traderumor
06-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think he'd be a bad idea to take a flyer on to improve the bench. Too bad he's not lefty, but he could be a stop gap, injury insurance, and pinch hitter improvement.

defender
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
He was hitting very well last May. Missed June because he was hit in the face. Had a very good July. He has been bad for 4 months. I don't think that is enough to say he is washed up.