PDA

View Full Version : Jaime Garcia Out At Least Four Weeks

reds1869
06-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Things just got a whole lot worse for the Cardinals injury situation. Jaime Garcia is out for an extended period of time with a shoulder problem.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/garcia-probably-out-months/article_25c848f9-a105-5731-94ba-a6d97a405048.html

RedLegsToday
06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Not sure why this is a problem. They'll sign someone like Jeff Francis and he'll got 4-0 with a 2.00 era over the next 4 weeks. ;-)

PuffyPig
06-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Actually he isn't picking up a baseball for a month, he's out at least 6 weeks, likely 8 weeks, and they really don't know if rest will help him.

06-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Cardinals could not have babied Garcia more than they did. More evidence that a certain percentage of pitchers will get hurt, no matter what how you handle them. Sign me up for the Nolan Ryan school of pitching. Just let them pitch.

cincrazy
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
From what I've read, the tears in his rotator cuff and labrum are considered moderate, and that is not good news for the Cardinals. There's no guarantee the rest and rehab will work, and although surgery isn't an option right now, it COULD be in the future. And shoulder surgery is a dicey proposition.

cincrazy
06-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Also, I wouldn't say the Cards babied Garcia. He went wayyyyyy over his innings limit last year.

06-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Also, I wouldn't say the Cards babied Garcia. He went wayyyyyy over his innings limit last year.

He went from 163 to 194 IP. He never went above 107 pitches a game, and only went over 100 six times. He went over 7 innings 3 times, and less than 7 innings 22 times.

Looks like he was babied to me.

PuffyPig
06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

They started him last game, even though it seemed clear to everybody other than them that he was hurting.

06-09-2012, 06:32 PM
They started him last game, even though it seemed clear to everybody other than them that he was hurting.

Just talking about everythig up to this year, during the TLR/Duncan era.

cincrazy
06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
He went from 163 to 194 IP. He never went above 107 pitches a game, and only went over 100 six times. He went over 7 innings 3 times, and less than 7 innings 22 times.

That's not counting postseason statistics, however. They had an extra month tacked onto their season. So he went quite a bit over his previous career high. And those postseason innings were high leverage, high stress situations. You're right that they've babied him to an extent as far as how long they let him pitch in individual games. But he threw a ton of innings last year, and I'm not surprised he's aching.

Brutus
06-09-2012, 06:59 PM
A 'season' is just an arbitrary time constraint. There's no evidence that pitching an extra 5 innings in a month, or roughly 90 extra pitches, has any impact on a body.

Tony Cloninger
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Cardinals could not have babied Garcia more than they did. More evidence that a certain percentage of pitchers will get hurt, no matter what how you handle them. Sign me up for the Nolan Ryan school of pitching. Just let them pitch.

I am with you. They did all they could.......and barely pushed him much, IMO.
If you are going to get hurt....it's going to happen.

cincrazy
06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm by no means insinuating the way the Cards used him is why he got hurt. I don't believe that at all. But he has a very small frame, and I've always thought he was bound to come back to earth at some point, via performance, injury, or a combination of both.

The Operator
06-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Just talking about everythig up to this year, during the TLR/Duncan era.They let him throw 163 innings coming off of TJ surgery at age 23. I wouldn't call that babying.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, at this point, these injuries are becoming per the usual for the Cardinals this season. This is looking an awful lot like the 2007 season. Coming off of the 2006 WS, they had a ton of injuries. While I certainly wouldn't trade the 2011 World Series for a full healthy year this year, I think teams should now expect that if they make or win the World Series, there are going to be significant injuries the following year. While the Rangers haven't had the same issues as the Cards, they are still experiencing some injury issues. It's a grind and it takes a toll.

That said, Joe Kelly certainly didn't dissappoint in his major league debut. I was at the game on Sunday and he was constantly hitting 93,94,95 mph. I'm not saying he's going to be great but it looks like he can give the Cards decent to solid replacement production. If he can keep the Cards in games, I think that's all you can really ask from him.

bucksfan2
06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, at this point, these injuries are becoming per the usual for the Cardinals this season. This is looking an awful lot like the 2007 season. Coming off of the 2006 WS, they had a ton of injuries. While I certainly wouldn't trade the 2011 World Series for a full healthy year this year, I think teams should now expect that if they make or win the World Series, there are going to be significant injuries the following year. While the Rangers haven't had the same issues as the Cards, they are still experiencing some injury issues. It's a grind and it takes a toll.

I think its really the norm going forward. TLR rode the Cards rotation heavily through the post season. I thought all along Carpenter and Garcia would have issues this season. Garcia threw a ton of post season innings and Carpenter was pitched on 3 days rest 3 (?) times. Its hard to bounce back from those extra innings especially when you get one less month to recover.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
I think its really the norm going forward. TLR rode the Cards rotation heavily through the post season. I thought all along Carpenter and Garcia would have issues this season. Garcia threw a ton of post season innings and Carpenter was pitched on 3 days rest 3 (?) times. Its hard to bounce back from those extra innings especially when you get one less month to recover.

Still, I would do it all over again in an instant. There's so few chances to win it all and I think teams have to risk getting one even if that means having injuries in the future. Those memories last forever and those teams become immortal in baseball lore.

kaldaniels
06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Still, I would do it all over again in an instant. There's so few chances to win it all and I think teams have to risk getting one even if that means having injuries in the future. Those memories last forever and those teams become immortal in baseball lore.

I agree so long as all parties know the risks involved, which I assume they did.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree so long as all parties know the risks involved, which I assume they did.

I think Chris Carpenter said to himself "Screw it, I'll throw over 4000 pitches. I can worry about injuries next year. Now... how do I explain that to my son?"

:lol:

The Operator
06-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I think Chris Carpenter said to himself "Screw it, I'll throw over 4000 pitches. I can worry about injuries next year. Now... how do I explain that to my son?"

:lol:LOL. There's one way to thwart the classic Redszone Carpenterism - beat us to it! Well played sir, well played indeed.

bellhead
06-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Kinda sad for Jamie, as he never received a big contract...Would love to see the Cards saddled with a 8 year 140million deal...

PuffyPig
06-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Kinda sad for Jamie, as he never received a big contract...Would love to see the Cards saddled with a 8 year 140million deal...

Garcia is still owed about $24M over the next 3 year including some option buy outs.

He'll eat. Maybe not Big Puma eat, but he'll eat.