PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/10

chicoruiz
06-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Reds:

Pokey Reese (39) -Calvin is one of those guys about which you probably know as much as I do...I will say that I thought there should have been much more effort made to keep him at shortstop. He was a wonderful second baseman but he really didn't have the bat for it.

Brad Gulden (56) -One of only two major league players to be traded for himself (as a PTBNL). He currrently lives in Minnesota, where he sells cars and serves as a volunteer firefighter.

Johnny Edwards (73) -Came up at the end of the 1961 pennant race; he wasn't ready, but Bob Schmidt and Jerry Zimmerman were so heinous that there was really no choice... One statiscal study named him the second-best defensive catcher of all time...Worked for G.E. as a nuclear engineer after his playing days.

Hank Foiles (83) -Lots of Reds catchers today. Foiles served two stints as a Reds backup; in between he made an All-Star team in 1957 for the Pirates...One of the few players to be selected twice in the Rule 5 draft... Currently has a website, at hankfoiles.com, where he'll sell you a copy of his biography, or an autographed glossy for $20 if you're into that sort of thing.

Danny MacFayden- A Red in 1935; nicknamed "Deacon Danny" for his serious demeanor. He had a long career pitching mostly for bad teams, but there were some highlights: he had a 15-strikeout game, and as a reliever he once came into a game against the Yankees with the bases loaded and no outs and retired Ruth, Gehrig and Lazzeri, striking out the last two.

Others:

Ken Singleton (65) -Cousin of Celtic coach Doc Rivers...Once had hits in ten consecutive ABs...Most similar player to him is Dusty Baker.

Jack Graney -Beloved by trivia buffs for three reasons: 1. He was the first batter to face Babe Ruth when Babe came up as a pitcher 2. He was the first player to wear a number on his jersey. 3. He was the first former player to broadcast a game.

Edskin
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Still possibly my favorite individual moment as a Reds fan came off the bat of Pokey. I will never forget this and wish there was video floating out there somewhere. I've tried in vain for years to track it down...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199909260CN5

Bob Borkowski
06-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Still possibly my favorite individual moment as a Reds fan came off the bat of Pokey. I will never forget this and wish there was video floating out there somewhere. I've tried in vain for years to track it down...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199909260CN5

A great moment, for sure. I was in my car on !-275 and almost drove off the road when he hit that homer. :)