Rk Tm W L W-L% R RA Rdiff pythWL
1 CIN 32 26 .552 4.2 3.9 0.3 31-27
2 PIT 31 27 .534 3.2 3.6 -0.3 27-31
3 STL 31 29 .517 5.1 4.1 1.0 36-24
4 MIL 27 32 .458 4.4 4.7 -0.4 27-32
5 HOU 25 34 .424 4.2 4.7 -0.5 26-33
6 CHC 19 40 .322 3.6 4.6 -1.0 23-36
Avg 27 31 .467 4.1 4.3 28-30

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool): View Original Table (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-standings.shtml?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#expanded_standings_C)
Generated 6/10/2012.

I would be more concerned with the Cardinals than the Pirates.

It is satisfying to see the Cubs simultaneously bad and underperforming!

buckeyenut
06-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Pythagoras can't take into account injuries to Berkman and Garcia. That is what is going to hurt STL.

RedsManRick
06-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't forget about Pythagoras' cousin, BABIP. Cards are sporting a .321 BABIP (best in baseball) and a 14.6% HR/FB ratio. There hasn't been a team BABIP that high over the course of the season since 2007; it's maxed out at .311 the last few years. And there hasn't been a HR/FB like that over the course of the seaosn since the 2005 Reds. In other words, the Cards aren't likely going to keep scoring 5 runs a game.

oneupper
06-10-2012, 12:27 PM
When do we start worrying about the Brewers? Injuries and all, they concern me.

traderumor
06-10-2012, 12:45 PM
When do we start worrying about the Brewers? Injuries and all, they concern me.When they start pitching.

RedsManRick
06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
When they start pitching.

Their pitchers have actually been pretty decent -- 2nd highest K/9 in baseball. But their defense has been very poor.

westofyou
06-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Their pitchers have actually been pretty decent -- 2nd highest K/9 in baseball. But their defense has been very poor.

Their defense is horrendous, just a mess

traderumor
06-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Their pitchers have actually been pretty decent -- 2nd highest K/9 in baseball. But their defense has been very poor.So, I'll revise it "run prevention unit." ;) I'm on record that the Brewers somewhat remind me of the plodding 2000s Reds, except for having some legit MLB pitchers.

Caveat Emperor
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Their defense is horrendous, just a mess

Watching the Brewers play defense reminds me of how miserable I was, as a Reds fan, for the majority of the last decade.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Pythagoras also doesn't take into account how putrid the Cardinals bullpen has been. That, in my opinion, has been the biggest issue. I love what Lance Lynn is doing but his absense from the bullpen is clearly noticable.

fearofpopvol1
07-08-2012, 05:26 PM
The Pirates are now +32. Less than 2 weeks ago, they were in the negatives. What an amazing turnaround.

The Reds are +40 before the game started today. That could potentially go up, we'll see.

I think it's fair to say the Pirates are on par with the Reds at this point. The Cards are a remarkable +69! That's 2nd best in baseball behind the Rangers (who are +78).

IslandRed
07-08-2012, 08:46 PM
The Cardinals were +34 when the season was twelve games old. Given the choice between "juggernaut who's been a bit unlucky of late" and "just happened to have their best two-week stretch of the season in the first two weeks," I'm leaning toward/hoping for the latter.

The Operator
07-08-2012, 11:25 PM
The Pirates are now +32. Less than 2 weeks ago, they were in the negatives.Which says to me they've been on a run offensively that there's absolutely no way they can continue.

fearofpopvol1
07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Which says to me they've been on a run offensively that there's absolutely no way they can continue.

Or perhaps they're peaking at the right time. Pirates had a very difficult April. Much tougher than St. Louis or Cincinnati did.

VR
07-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Or perhaps they're peaking at the right time. Pirates had a very difficult April. Much tougher than St. Louis or Cincinnati did.

I just don't see the depth in pitching for them to sustain this. (or hitting for that matter)

And, they're the Pirates.

fearofpopvol1
07-09-2012, 01:07 AM
I just don't see the depth in pitching for them to sustain this. (or hitting for that matter)

And, they're the Pirates.

Keep in mind...Pirates have the prospects and the salary room to add talent to their roster. And they are ahead in the standings. Their remaining schedule is similar to the Reds in terms of the .500 or better clubs they play the rest of the way.

The Pirates are by no means out of this.

gilpdawg
07-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Keep in mind...Pirates have the prospects and the salary room to add talent to their roster. And they are ahead in the standings. Their remaining schedule is similar to the Reds in terms of the .500 or better clubs they play the rest of the way.

The Pirates are by no means out of this.

If the Pirates trade anything but org. depth guys they are fools. They have too good of a thing going to change direction now. They are going to be a force in this division over the next decade, and they don't have to win now to do that. Stay the course. The Pirates trading prospects for a run this year would be similar to if we had traded Votto/Cueto for Bedard back in 2007.

fearofpopvol1
07-09-2012, 03:32 AM
If the Pirates trade anything but org. depth guys they are fools. They have too good of a thing going to change direction now. They are going to be a force in this division over the next decade, and they don't have to win now to do that. Stay the course. The Pirates trading prospects for a run this year would be similar to if we had traded Votto/Cueto for Bedard back in 2007.

Totally disagree. The Pirates are in 1st place for crying out loud, and at the All Star Break no less! If they were 5-6 games back, sure, I'd see your point. The Bedard move was considered before the start of that season anyhow.

The Reds don't look to be throwing down the gauntlet and the Cards have 1 of the toughest remaining schedules of any competing team (not to mention, a lousy bullpen). Add to the fact that there is an additional wild card slot and the rest of the National League doesn't seem to be running away with anything and it's a great time for the Pirates to make moves. Maybe not all-in moves, but they could make a couple of moves without selling their whole future while continuing to try to compete for the division. Or they could try to add talent that's signed for a few years as well. Justin Upton on their team all of a sudden makes them a much tougher squad.

gilpdawg
07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Totally disagree. The Pirates are in 1st place for crying out loud, and at the All Star Break no less! If they were 5-6 games back, sure, I'd see your point. The Bedard move was considered before the start of that season anyhow.

The Reds don't look to be throwing down the gauntlet and the Cards have 1 of the toughest remaining schedules of any competing team (not to mention, a lousy bullpen). Add to the fact that there is an additional wild card slot and the rest of the National League doesn't seem to be running away with anything and it's a great time for the Pirates to make moves. Maybe not all-in moves, but they could make a couple of moves without selling their whole future while continuing to try to compete for the division. Or they could try to add talent that's signed for a few years as well. Justin Upton on their team all of a sudden makes them a much tougher squad.

Sure, a small move makes sense, but I wouldn't touch my top ten prospects. No way.

Granted, if an Upton comes available then you can do something more, but I'm not convinced that he's really on the block.