Tom Servo
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/06/cubs-sign-jorge-soler/

9 years, 30 million supposedly

klw
06-11-2012, 04:04 PM
JOn Heyman reporting the 9y $30 mil figure
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19332209/cubs-get-jorge-soler

The Cubs signed Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, CBSSports.com has confirmed.

The deal is for nine years and $30 million, CBSSports.com has learned.

Word was that at least "three or four teams'' bid at least $20 million for the power-hitting 20-year-old. The deal keeps Soler, a otential cornerstone player, with the Cubs until he's close to 30.

With Starlin Castro, Brett Jackson and also Anthony Rizzo, the Cubs have the makings of a formidable lineup of the future. They still need young pitching and are expected to seek it on the trade market where they will be active sellers.

Speaking of Soler, one A.L. scout summed him up in four words, "Strength legit. Power bat.''

The Yankees, Dodgers, Jays, Braves and several other teams showed interested in Soler.

Soler's agreement was first reported by Joel Sherman of The New York Post.

Vottomatic
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
JOn Heyman reporting the 9y $30 mil figure
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19332209/cubs-get-jorge-soler

I don't get why the Reds don't get in the mix. They had success with Chapman. Cespedes is doing pretty well. Soler is supposed to be better than Cespedes.

Makes no sense why they didn't try.

RichRed
06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't get why the Reds don't get in the mix. They had success with Chapman. Cespedes is doing pretty well. Soler is supposed to be better than Cespedes.

Do we know for sure they didn't try?

The Yankees, Dodgers, Jays, Braves and several other teams showed interested in Soler.

PuffyPig
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Maybe they did, matbe they don't particularly like him? Maybe they simply didn't think he was worth the money being invested? Teams with more money weren't involved, what does that tell you?

Vottomatic
06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Maybe they did, matbe they don't particularly like him? Maybe they simply didn't think he was worth the money being invested? Teams with more money weren't involved, what does that tell you?

Well, Boston and the Yankees are trying to reduce expenditures. That explains that.

I don't think those other teams were exactly cheap.

edabbs44
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM

They didnt try for him, they didn't try for Mark Appel in the draft, Walt must be out for lunch this month.

dougdirt
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Soler may wind up being better than Cespedes. Right now, it isn't even close. Soler is considered roughly to be ready for Low-A. Cespedes is in the Majors.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2012, 08:00 PM

I don't know if they tried or not, but they didn't try hard enough it appears. For the price the Cubs paid, I'm surprised the Reds didn't try harder. It's not a lot of money for the amount of years. Keith Law purports Soler would be a top 5 pick in the draft.

IslandRed
06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't know if they tried or not, but they didn't try hard enough it appears. For the price the Cubs paid, I'm surprised the Reds didn't try harder. It's not a lot of money for the amount of years. Keith Law purports Soler would be a top 5 pick in the draft.

$30 million of guaranteed money is a lot for a guy who's merely a top-five pick, not a sure-fire #1/generational talent. A lot of people thought the Reds overpaid for Chapman and he was higher on that scale.

We have to remember the dynamics here. The international signing cap is about to go into effect. This was the last chance to win a premium talent by whipping out the fattest wallet, and the Cubs were going to spend whatever it took. In that context, I'm okay with the Reds spending $30 million some other way.

dougdirt
06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
$30 million of guaranteed money is a lot for a guy who's merely a top-five pick, not a sure-fire #1/generational talent. A lot of people thought the Reds overpaid for Chapman and he was higher on that scale.

We have to remember the dynamics here. The international signing cap is about to go into effect. This was the last chance to win a premium talent by whipping out the fattest wallet, and the Cubs were going to spend whatever it took. In that context, I'm okay with the Reds spending $30 million some other way.

If draft picks could negotiate freely, they would all get paid a whole lot more. That is why MLB is setting up new rules for international players, so they don't have to pay them like they used to.

fearofpopvol1
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM

And it's also for 9 years of control at about $3.3M per year. That spreads out the risk and it's not a lot of money when you look at the money on an annual basis. Sure, it's a risk, but even if the guy ends up being a good bullpen arm (which is likely his floor), it would still be a good deal for the Cubs. If he ends up being an ace (which seems to be his ceiling), it's a tremendous deal.

Ghosts of 1990
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Who is a comparable for Soler of a past or present big leaguer?

Benihana
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I also wish the Reds could've landed this guy. It sucks that he went to the Cubs.