2B - Brandon Phillips
3B - David Wright
SS - Starling Castro
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Ryan Braun

RedsManRick
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
First, I'll note that I treat the all-star starters as "best player at each position in league right now" not "who had the best 2 months". If a guy is having a breakout year, I put him on the team - but he doesn't get to start until we have reason to believe he's truly the best.

This might be one or two guys too many or too few. Last year there were like 40 guys named, but I know some of them were replacements.

CA Molina, Ruiz
1B Votto, LaHair
2B Phillips, Altuve, Uggla
3B Wright, Headley, Prado
SS Tulowitski, Lowrie
OF Braun, CarGo
OF McCutchen, Kemp, Bourn
OF Beltran, Stanton

Some notable snubs include AJ Ellis, Rafael Furcal, Melky Cabrera and Matt Holliday. You could also argue Bryce Harper should be there and some might argue for Hanley Ramirez, though he hasn't been a great player since since 2009. And, of course, some Reds fans will insist Bruce should be in the conversation.

This gets reps from every team except Washington, San Fran & Arizona, though the first two will certainly have pitcher reps (Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Cain). Arizona is the only obvious team that doesn't have any deserving reps, though I would argue Ian Kennedy should be an easy choice.

Raisor
06-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm a homer, I voted for Ludwick.

reds1869
06-11-2012, 08:44 PM
C - Carlos Ruiz
1B - Joey Votto
2B - Brandon Phillips
3B - David Wright
SS - Starlin Castro
OF - Andrew McCutchen
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
OF - Giancarlo Stanton

_Sir_Charles_
06-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm a homer, I voted for Ludwick.

Lol. YOU'RE a homer? I voted for all the Reds except Rolen. Frazier as a write-in. :O) :p

Ghosts of 1990
06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Bruce isn't going to make it, is he?

I'll say from our squad, Votto and Chapman get tabbed and Phillips gets in via player vote.

cumberlandreds
06-12-2012, 07:28 AM
just voted for NL all-stars

1b Votto
2b Atuve
3b Wright
SS Castro
Of Beltran
Of Stanton
Of McCutcheon
C Molina

whats yours?

Here's mine. I'm a homer to a point:

1b Votto
2b Phillips
3b Wright
ss Furcal
Of Bruce
Of Kemp
Of McCutcheon
C Posey

The Reds that will make it will be Votto,Phillips and Chapman. Bruce still has a shot if he can another hot streak in the next couple of weeks.

WildcatFan
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
I base my votes on the current season only, which makes this a WAY TOO EARLY vote:

C Carlos Ruiz
1B Joey Votto
2B Jose Altuve
SS Troy Tulowitzki
3B David Wright
OF Carlos Gonzalez
OF Melky Cabrera
OF Andrew McCutchen

Kemp's out for me because of injury. Braun's out for me because of steroids.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
C Molina
1B Votto
2B Altuve
3B Wright
SS Furcal
OF Stanton
OF McCutchen
OF Beltran

I won't officially vote until about a week from when the balloting is finished. At that point, we will have an even clearer picture as to who deserves to be in there. I think even at this point it's too early to be voting.

_Sir_Charles_
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Nobody thinks Cueto makes it? I do.

WVRedsFan
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
1B - Votto
2B - Phillips
3B - Wright
SS - Castro
OF - McCutcheon
OD - Braun (oops!) :)
OF - Beltran
C - Molina

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
This is on topic since we're talking about all stars but is Altuve starting to be one of the players you appreciate from a far? Tulo is probably my favorite non-Cardinal but Altuve is becoming a close second. He just does everything right and is a very smart player for his age.

cumberlandreds
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Nobody thinks Cueto makes it? I do.

He's got a shot at it. His next two starts may be key for him to make it. Have a couple of really good starts and wins and he may be there.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm also looking at the NL 1B and besides Votto, it's a bare crop of players. I think if Allen Craig continues to play out of his mind, he might actually make it to the All Star game even though he was out the first month due to injury.

DGullett35
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I agree Cueto's next couple starts will be key. IMO hes one of the most underrated starters in all of baseball. You just don't here much about him. IMO there may be many reasons for that but the big one is the language barrier. He just a quiet guy and doesn't say much. Plus he plays in Cincinnati which isnt the biggest market.

_Sir_Charles_
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm also looking at the NL 1B and besides Votto, it's a bare crop of players. I think if Allen Craig continues to play out of his mind, he might actually make it to the All Star game even though he was out the first month due to injury.

No way. LaHair would get it IMO without a doubt.

RedsManRick
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
I agree Cueto's next couple starts will be key. IMO hes one of the most underrated starters in all of baseball. You just don't here much about him. IMO there may be many reasons for that but the big one is the language barrier. He just a quiet guy and doesn't say much. Plus he plays in Cincinnati which isnt the biggest market.

He also doesn't dominate. He rarely completes games. He doesn't strikeout many guys. He's been succeeding by limiting walks and generating weak contact; not exactly sexy. And he's only been doing it for about a calendar year. If he does this for another 200 innings, I promise you he'll get more pub.

06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
No way. LaHair would get it IMO without a doubt.

From Pulojs, Fielder, AGon, Votto, Berkman logjam to deciding between Ryan LaHair and Allen Craig. Crazy .

_Sir_Charles_
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
He also doesn't dominate. He rarely completes games. He doesn't strikeout many guys. He's been succeeding by limiting walks and generating weak contact; not exactly sexy. And he's only been doing it for about a calendar year. If he does this for another 200 innings, I promise you he'll get more pub.

Johnny read your comment Rick...and took exception to it. :lol: 7 k's, complete game and still no walks. :thumbup:

kaldaniels
06-12-2012, 10:02 PM

As mentioned above Rick, you may want to scrub the CG remark, only 3 guys in the NL have more since the start of last season. :D

But I do agree, he isn't "sexy" as far as the highlight reel goes.

RedsManRick
06-13-2012, 12:19 AM
As mentioned above Rick, you may want to scrub the CG remark, only 3 guys in the NL have more since the start of last season. :D

But I do agree, he isn't "sexy" as far as the highlight reel goes.

I guess I'll have to eat a little crow on that one. But year, doesn't have that "ace" feel regardless of how well he's pitched.

kaldaniels
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I guess I'll have to eat a little crow on that one. But year, doesn't have that "ace" feel regardless of how well he's pitched.

Nah if any thing it just shows how rare complete games have become.

I'm with you, not an "ace" yet, but at the end of the year that evaluation could change.

camisadelgolf
06-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I included the current vote leaders and added my own picks as if I were the manager picking out the roster. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it, so these are liable to change.

NL AL
C Buster Posey C Mike Napoli
1B Joey Votto 1B Prince Fielder
2B Dan Uggla 2B Ian Kinsler
3B David Wright 3B Adrian Beltre
SS Troy Tulowitzki SS Derek Jeter
LF Ryan Braun LF Josh Hamilton
CF Matt Kemp CF Curtis Granderson
RF Carlos Beltran RF Nelson Cruz
DH Carlos Gonzalez DH David Ortiz
SP Gio Gonzalez SP Chris Sale

C Carlos Ruiz C A.J. Pierzynski