PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers to Extend Ethier

redsmetz
06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Mlbtraderumors.com is citing several sources stating that the Dodgers are set to extend Andre Ethier, 5 years at $85M with a vesting option for a 6th year that could raise his payday to $100M.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/dodgers-to-extend-andre-ethier.html

westofyou
06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
He's currently in the middle of a slump that would make Jay Bruce blush

camisadelgolf
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
He also currently has the best OPS+ of his career (134). I think LA is going to regret this one unless they cut bait with James Loney, move Matt Kemp to a corner spot, and transition Ethier to the everyday first baseman.

DGullett35
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
He sure has helped out my fantasy team this year. Hes kept that offense goin without Kemp. He deserves it Ive always liked the guy

WMR
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
He also currently has the best OPS+ of his career (134). I think LA is going to regret this one unless they cut bait with James Loney, move Matt Kemp to a corner spot, and transition Ethier to the everyday first baseman.

The Dodgers could end up with a payroll to rival the Yankees once this ownership group gets everything squared away and working correctly.

RedsManRick
06-12-2012, 02:48 PM
He probably won't be "worth it" from a $/WAR perspective, but he's probably better than their alternatives and they can afford the luxury.

camisadelgolf
06-12-2012, 02:56 PM
He probably won't be "worth it" from a $/WAR perspective, but he's probably better than their alternatives and they can afford the luxury.
Sounds like the BP extension.

RedsManRick
06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Sounds like the BP extension.

Similar in my mind, with two caveats.

1) Phillips had a longer track record of better performance, making it more likely he provides fair market value.

2) The Ethier contract won't materially affect their ability to spend elsewhere should the need arise. With the Reds, it's a commitment they have to live with for better or worse.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
The Doyers are going to probably be getting one of those huge new TV contracts soon so I don't think they're going to regret any financial move they make now.

camisadelgolf
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't think it's so much the finances they'll regret. In Los Angeles, they can certainly afford a sunken contract or two. But unless he's moved to first base, I think they'll regret playing him in the outfield everyday. This contract takes him through his mid-30s, and organizations seem reluctant to move players of his caliber off their positions once they sign huge contracts. But one thing I really like about this deal is the fact that Corey Hart becomes a free agent after next season, and this will hopefully drive up the price for the Brewers to keep him around since he's about equally as valuable.