PDA

View Full Version : Sitting by yourself at games

WildcatFan
06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I've got a chance to ride up with a friend and her family today, have dinner, and go to the game. But they've got their tickets already, and Stubhub doesn't have anything near them. So here's my question:

Who here sits/has sat by themselves at games? I think I'd be fine with it, but I can imagine that sixth/seventh inning lull getting pretty lonely. What's everyone's philosophy?

reds1869
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a season ticket all by myself and have for several years. I absolutely love it. My time at the ballpark is a nice escape from reality and I never have any trouble striking up a conversation with someone nearby if I want to--but I'm extremely extroverted.

dougdirt
I have done it before, it isn't bad. But I am betting that you can probably find a seat around them rather easily unless it is a giveaway night.

wolfboy
I've got a chance to ride up with a friend and her family today, have dinner, and go to the game. But they've got their tickets already, and Stubhub doesn't have anything near them. So here's my question:

Who here sits/has sat by themselves at games? I think I'd be fine with it, but I can imagine that sixth/seventh inning lull getting pretty lonely. What's everyone's philosophy?

I can't imagine it will be a full house. Perhaps you can find an empty seat near your friend and her family?

WildcatFan
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I can't imagine it will be a full house. Perhaps you can find an empty seat near your friend and her family?

You may be right; they're in the Moon Deck. Mostly though, I'm now interested in the sitting-by-yourself opinions of my RZ friends.

reds1869
06-13-2012, 10:38 AM

If it is anything like last night you will be able to pretty much pick your seat in most sections. I sat in the view level rather than my usual bleacher seat but could have went pretty much anywhere other than Club or Diamond.

wolfboy
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

When I was younger, I went/sat by myself a lot. I worked downtown, and it was convenient to pick up a cheap ticket and catch a game. Sometimes I met up with friends, sometimes not. I suspect a lot has to do with individual personality. I've never been bothered by a lack of company, although I always welcome good company.

George Anderson
06-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Go shirtless, paint your entire upper body with red paint and sing the theme to Happy Days nonstop and no one will notice a thing. =)

cumberlandreds
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I've done it a lot in the past. I don't mind it at all. But I'm a loner type person anyway.

camisadelgolf
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
I do it all the time. It's nice not having to wonder what someone else is thinking or feeling obligated to tell someone I'm going to the restroom, getting something to drink, etc.

_Sir_Charles_
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Go shirtless, paint your entire upper body with red paint and sing the theme to Happy Days nonstop and no one will notice a thing. =)

ROFLMAO!!! :laugh:

KittyDuran
06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I have a season ticket all by myself and have for several years. I absolutely love it. My time at the ballpark is a nice escape from reality and I never have any trouble striking up a conversation with someone nearby if I want to--but I'm extremely extroverted.

That's me as well... In fact I usually avoid as much interaction as I can. Sorry, but I'm here to watch a baseball game with my hard earned money... The only time I'm with another person is Chip, but even that is rare nowadays because of my Club tickets and the fact he has a social life now (& I don't). ;)

Raisor
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Nice to see how many serial killers are on Redszone.

"He kept to himself, and he seemed so nice."

reds44
06-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Nice to see how many serial killers are on Redszone.

"He kept to himself, and he seemed so nice."
LMAO.

But seriously, I haven't done it before but that's because the Reds play 6 hours away from me. I don't see a problem with it.

The Voice of IH
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Done it once, I went to a rain delayed game against Atlanta a few years back.

I think if it wasn't so long, and so hot, I would have enjoyed it more lol.

_Sir_Charles_
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I did it the second game of the Houston series just a while back for the first time (family members bailed on me at the last minute). It was fine, but it did feel kinda weird. Lots of Reds fans around me, so there was plenty of conversation going on. I think the biggest thing was seeing a 70$ front row ticket go to waste. That's just wrong!

WildcatFan
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM

I tried that once already. Suffice it to say I won't be going back to that church again.

WVRedsFan
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I tried that once already. Suffice it to say I won't be going back to that church again.

LMAO!

Pentecostal? :)

15fan
06-13-2012, 07:08 PM
9 innings of solitude at a Reds game?

Yesplease.

Dan
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm a natural introvert, which means I'm at ease doing things by myself. That includes going to Reds games. Now, living out of town I only make it back to Dayton a few times a year, and family isn't always available to come out with me.

I saw the first game of the Rockies series this year by myself. I think that's the third year in a row I've seen a game by myself. It's really not bad, though given the choice I wouldn't mind having a fellow Reds fan/baseball lover there to converse with.

TeamBoone
06-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I go to games by myself a lot, as does Kitty. If you really want to watch the game and not be distracted by conversation with friends, it's often preferrable. Not that I don't like to go with friends, but I often find myself saying "what just happened? I missed it.".

guttle11
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I've done it many times, mostly "business day specials". Always prefer to go with my dad, friends, or a lady friend, but I have no problem going by myself if no one else wants to/can go. I've picked up conversations with seat neighbors, or with people out under the power stacks, and I've sat through games only saying "thank you" to the ticket taker and "Large Coke" to the concession worker. I went to the clinch game in 2010 alone. Bought a tweetup ticket and ended up under the power stacks. Spent 20 minutes after the game talking and high fiving people I had never met and have never seen again.

I have no point of reference, but I'm guessing it's easier in the smart phone age. If I get bored between innings I can look at twitter/facebook, return texts, or play some Fruit Ninja.

If I really want to go, I have no aversion to catching a game alone. May do it tomorrow, haven't decided if it's worth putting more work into a Friday. Certainly much easier to do than playing golf as a single. I love golf, but that is misery.

gilpdawg
06-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I've done it too. Don't mind it. Go to concerts alone sometimes if it is a band where I don't know anyone else into them.

RedsManRick
06-14-2012, 12:45 AM
I went a Reds/Cubs game solo at Wrigley. Ended up listening to the radio broadcast while watching the game. Was nice and relaxing.

VR
06-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Is there a better choice? My best baseball memories are at games, sitting by myself, taking it all in. And trust me, there's a lot to take in by oneself.

Captain Hook
06-14-2012, 01:41 AM
I enjoyed myself the one time I did it.Surprised I haven't done it more since none of my friends are hard core baseball fans and my wife could care less.So I've been to a lot of games that I had to drag someone to.My one solo trip I didn't have to deal with stupid questions or someone wanting to leave in the 7th.It's amazing how so many non-baseball fans think a 2 or 3 run lead is safe with a few innings to play.

06-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Before I was married I went alt by myself. I actually miss it. I went to game 2 of 1990 Series alone.

Sea Ray
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Going alone is the best way to actually watch the game. If you want to use the game as a social function, that's fine but sometimes I just want to watch baseball. I too have found that finding other fans to chat with at the game has never been problematic. As a single person you can often get a good deal from a scalper outside the stadium or if you prefer, snatch a good seat that you notice is empty after you arrive

marcshoe
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
LMAO!

Pentecostal? :)

Unfortunately it was Episcopalian.

vaticanplum
06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
I used to do this all the time and loved it. It is is the absolute best way to keep a scorecard...mine go haywire with social interaction. I kind of miss going to games alone, actually.

DGullett35
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Ive never been to a game alone but I could see how it would really be relaxing. Im going to have to try it sometime.

FlightRick
06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm in Dayton, and I go to a goodly number of Dragons's games, and at least half of those are alone. And I really enjoy it. But it should be noted that I think I go to Dragons' games with a different agenda than Reds' games.

With the Reds, I'm 100% there for the winning (or the losing)... the outcome drives how I perceive the ultimate experience, and if I'm driving 45 minutes each way, hey, I'm gonna take out some insurance on that by having some friends around to turn it into a social event. Win or lose, at least I can count on my friends to not suck.

But going to a Dragons' game, it's just something to do on a random weeknight, and not only can I get my baseball dork on the same as I do while enjoying my inner monologue during games on TV/radio, but I can also do something I CAN'T do at Reds' games: I can learn something. Familiarizing yourself with new players, and doing it in person, is a hell of a way to be smarter than all your friends at the Reds' games when the discussion turns to minor leaguers. That's something that can only happen when you're pulling the ol' Solitary Man.

Winning/losing becomes secondary at the minor league level, and absorbing the game becomes primary. Going solo is a great way to do this; do it right, and you can even insulate yourself into a baseball dork bubble where not even the obnoxious mid-inning crapola will annoy you. Much.

But I still prefer having someone(s) to cheer with and high-five when the winning matters....

Rick

Roy Tucker
06-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Been to many Businessmens Specials by myself. Leave the office, get a cheap seat, eat a hot dog and a beer, and watch a few innings.

Also, when I was a road warrior, I went to a lot of out of town ballparks by myself.

I'm a little on the gabby side so I can strike up a conversation with about anyone.

Raisor
06-15-2012, 06:06 AM
"I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel"

06-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Maybe we should all get together and go alone as a group.

WildcatFan
06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Maybe we should all get together and go alone as a group.

We'll communicate only with thumbs ups and knowing nods.

LincolnparkRed
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
I usually do it when traveling for work. Went to Camden yards and new yankee stadium. I play with my phone and can talk to pretty much anyone.

Big Klu
06-16-2012, 12:26 PM
"I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel"

"Large Marge sent me."

George Anderson
06-16-2012, 02:04 PM
"Large Marge sent me."

Was this "Midnight Madness"? It was a good flick

SunDeck
06-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I like watching baseball games by myself. In fact, sometimes when I go with friends, I tend to have long stretches where I sort of forget about them anyway. Not the most social person to hang with, but I do buy a round of beers now and then.

Just don't pass one to me when I'm trying to work on my score card.

camisadelgolf
06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I like watching baseball games by myself. In fact, sometimes when I go with friends, I tend to have long stretches where I sort of forget about them anyway. Not the most social person to hang with, but I do buy a round of beers now and then.

Just don't pass one to me when I'm trying to work on my score card.
Just in case you're in the market for new friends, I'll gladly be your best one if you're buying the rounds. I can even keep an accurate scorecard if needed.

RedlegJake
06-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I go to Royals games by myself all the time. Really don't like to go with people because they irritate me at games . Most of my friends look at games as a social event to party and play. I am in serious fan mode watching how the players are positioning themselves, seeing the plays develop, trying to see into the dugout, onto the mound, catch signs and watch the fielders all at the same time while keeping a scorecard for my memories. I've never been to a Reds game in Cincy alone because all my family is there and I couldn't go alone without seeming like a snob since I'm visiting when I'm there and they are all Reds fans right down to the youngest cousin. I just let go and enjoy the social aspect of baseball then and relax. Both experiences are fun for me. Both are different. And possibly both are a true reflection of how I feel about the teams involved too, the Reds are family - my true love, while the Royals are more analytical, a geographical allegiance without deep roots.