PDA

View Full Version : Facebook pet peeves

MWM
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Im going on almost no sleep due to a bad hotel bed, so I'm in the mood to be petty. Facebook has created an entirely new genre of pet peeves and I'm curious what y'alls are.

Top of my list is when people pronounce to the world how much they love their significant other or their kids I just don't see why everyone else needs to know that. Those are private things that should be said in person, which I'm sure they are, but announcing to the FB universe just seems like showboating to me.

I also have several friends who are always sharing all the things their brilliant and adorable kids say. Sure, sometimes it's funny enough that others would get a kick out of it, but enough already. We get it. Your kids are wonderful, smart, and witty.

:D

PedroBourbon
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not on FB but my wife complains about people who post pictures of material things they've bought, or posting that they are enjoying their pool on a hot day, getting a massage at the swanky Maui hotel, etc. She calls it "Brag Book."

texasdave
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
foursquare. The app that lets everyone know where you are. So and so is eating at such and such. If anyone WANTED to know where you were they would just call and/or text and ask. Such a silly app IMO.

MWM
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm not on FB but my wife complains about people who post pictures of material things they've bought, or posting that they are enjoying their pool on a hot day, getting a massage at the swanky Maui hotel, etc. She calls it "Brag Book."

Yeah, posting pics of expensive cars is a good one.

pedro
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I hate that if a friend comments on a status or likes a photo of one of their friends that I don't know it shows up in my news feed unless I explicitly go and change my settings for that "friendship".

I don't want to see things that have nothing to do with me and frankly it keeps me from commenting or "liking" things because I don't want to clutter up the feed for everyone else

FB has gotten to the point of overkill on what information it shows you and I think it's made it much less enjoyable.

MWM
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with that, pedro. It seems like there's always something new that changes what shows up on my feed that clutters it up and forced me to go change my settings. Then another change comes later and I have to change the settings all over again.

I do think FB was a better overall experience a couple of years ago. I'm not a rejecter of changes just because they're different. I've always kept an open mind about them. But most of the significant changes that have been made have made it a worse experience for me. The bar to the right showing who's online is a great example. They use to have a smaller one y could easily see your different groups and quickly change you status for the groups. I can't for the life of me figure out why they changed to what's the now. Why was that an improvement?

I think when the history books are written, Mark Zuckerberg will be seen as a guy with a few ideas, but mostly just lucky and was in way over his head after FB became huge. He so wants to be seen in the same light as a Steve Jobs or the founders of google, but he's really not a very good businessperson. Going public will wind up being the biggest mistake he made as its most likely to end up getting him pushed out as CEO.

pedro
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
I killed that floating bar the day it came out. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but if you search google there are solutions.

I also adblock everything.

MWM
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I killed that floating bar the day it came out. I can't remember exactly how I did it now but if you search google there are solutions.

I also adblock everything.

I looked into that and was able to get rid of it, but it just gets rid of it altogether. I do occasionally chat with old friends so I like to use it every once in a while.

RichRed
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Top of my list is when people pronounce to the world how much they love their significant other or their kids I just don't see why everyone else needs to know that. Those are private things that should be said in person, which I'm sure they are, but announcing to the FB universe just seems like showboating to me.

This one gets me too, and I suspect most of the people who do this are the ones who have the most tension in their marriages but want to project an image of marital bliss. Or that by posting how deliriously happy they are, they will somehow will it to be true. I can think of a couple of examples within my own circle of friends where this applies.

I also can't stand the updates on the minutiae of someone's daily life. "Leaving work, off to the gym, then dinner!"

MWM
06-13-2012, 12:48 PM
This one gets me too, and I suspect most of the people who do this are the ones who have the most tension in their marriages but want to project an image of marital bliss. Or that by posting how deliriously happy they are, they will somehow will it to be true. I can think of a couple of examples within my own circle of friends where this applies.

I also can't stand the updates on the minutiae of someone's daily life. "Leaving work, off to the gym, then dinner!"

Both good ones. Your first one reminded me of another, people who are always posting positive and inspirational quotes as if that makes them full of wisdom and inspiration. At one point I actuall started posting negative and demotivating quotes just to balance things out. :devil:

pedro
06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Both good ones. Your first one reminded me of another, people who are always posting positive and inspirational quotes as if that makes them full of wisdom and inspiration. At one point I actuall started posting negative and demotivating quotes just to balance things out. :devil:

I have a good friend that bickers in public with his wife constantly to the point that sometimes I want to strangle him but then on FB he posts all these dali lama quotes that make him come off like he's some sort of zen master. Cracks me up.

Oh and to the people who pretend like they invented love or are the first people ever to love their kids. Blech.

lidspinner
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I refuse to use facebook for those exact reasons you all are posting above...FB is nothing more than a drama driven website...so many kids get in fights because of what is said on FB, so many adults lose relationships over FB, so many teens get embarrassed over what is said about them on FB. We, as a human race are slowly forgetting how to communicate with each other....I though email was going to kill human interaction, I was wrong, FB is..

People need to re-learn how to communicate with their kids and their extended familiies, you dont need to FB someone and say hi, you need to pick up the phone or knock on the door to say hi. People act as if their lives are so busy that FB is the only way to stay in touch, that is pure and total BS, there is not one person outside of the President of the USA that is to busy to stop by a friends house and spend 30 minutes on their front porch drinking a cold one talking about the Reds, or using your smartphone to call your cousin in the next state to say hi....

I could go on and on about FB and its demise of society and how we interact with each other....

My daughter was in her bedroom the other day and texted me to ask if she could have a friend spend the night...I feel sorry for all these kids who wont know how to talk to people unless its via a smartphone or FB or both...

and mind you, I am a little older than most FB generation people, but I am still young enough to remember having no cell phone and driving to a Reds game in a car with no A/C, no power windows and a stick shift.

Rant over, go Reds

pedro
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
TMBS, I do like FB for being able to keep up with friends in other cities. I've moved around a lot in my life and it's nice to have a single place to communicate with friends.

Spazzrico
06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess I'm the worst person in the world then. I don't usually post the minutiae of my family's day or what my kids says, but I did the other day because I had experience a poignant moment when my daughter told me she loved me for the first time ever and was uberjoyful, so I shared it. I am wicked and horrible.

pedro
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I guess I'm the worst person in the world then. I don't usually post the minutiae of my family's day or what my kids says, but I did the other day because I had experience a poignant moment when my daughter told me she loved me for the first time ever and was uberjoyful, so I shared it. I am wicked and horrible.

Probably not. You already said you don't do it often. I was really talking about those who CONSTANTLY club you over the head with it, as in every single day.

Caveat Emperor
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm to the point where I block anyone an FB who is pregnant. Pregnant women on FB are a huge pet peeve of mine -- so many of them overshare every detail of the pregnancy (cravings, kicks, etc.) and subject my timeline to barrages of ultrasound pictures and (worse) pictures of them in "artful" poses exposing their stomachs as they go along.

Each of these posts always floats to the top of my timeline because, inevitably, all of their girlfriends post comment after comment all following the same general structure:

1. "Lookin' / Looking good mama!"
2. "I can't wait to meet him/her." (really -- you "meet" an infant?)
3. "I remember when I went through (insert aspect of pregnancy here) and how much I hated/liked it!"
4. "It's all worthwhile once you can hold him/her"

It's nonsense and attention-seeking drivel.

Razor Shines
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM

:D
That is a huge one for me too.

Like this:

I am choosing not to play basketball in order to spend time with my girlfriend. But please don't tell her...

My other big one vague posts and especially when vague posts are merely an attempt to get people to ask "oh what's wrong?"

Here are some actual examples from my news feed in the last month:

So... I heard something today that I never ever even imagined I would hear. The question now is... what do I do with it? Crushed is not even close to how I feel.

Punch yourself

Is this really how it goes?

Yes, please die.

Its finally time to cut down my friends list.

I hope I'm first.

It never ceases to amaze me what my so-called friends will do or say... I want to say thanks to those who are my real friends.

I hope one of your so called friends just gave you cancer of the AIDs of the eyes.

On my way to the ER... I sure hope they can fix me

Oh that's not gonna get 100 "what happened???!!!!!" comments.

You're on my mind, and you.probably already knew it..

It's probably wrong to pray for a plane crash.

its sad but things like this happen all the time. People just never keep their word anymore.

You're right I've got to actually start planning your death.

Some of those were from the same person and some of them were from people that I'm friends with because they are friends with my wife and sent a friend request. I used to ignore them but then when you see that person you have to have the "why haven't you accepted my friend request conversation" and I don't have the balls to just say "because I don't give damn about your life".

I enjoy Facebook, so I don't think not using it at all is the answer. I have used the "unsubscribe" feature on occasion but some of the people that make these ridiculous vague posts are friends and family who are seemingly normal well adjusted people in real life and I don't want to miss everything they post.

I've posted on my Facebook before: Context people! If you're going to post things about your life give me context, don't make vague posts in which I have to try to decipher what or who the hell you're talking about.

I can't be alone in this thinking.

MWM
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Probably not. You already said you don't do it often. I was really talking about those who CONSTANTLY club you over the head with it, as in every single day.

This is my thought. It's usually from people who I know well enough to know that's probably not really who they are. It's the ones who go so over the top with it that, like Pedro said, act like are the only ones who love their family.

RichRed
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
TMBS, I do like FB for being able to keep up with friends in other cities. I've moved around a lot in my life and it's nice to have a single place to communicate with friends.

FB has been great for reconnecting with old high school and college friends. As annoying as it can be, I still enjoy it for the most part.

MWM
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
My other big one vague posts and especially when vague posts are merely an attempt to get people to ask "oh what's wrong?"

Ooooo, that's a good one. The cryptic messages where people think they're being clever but are just begging for attention. My 15 year old has a habit of this one.

sonny
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Constant memes. I like goofy crap as much as the next guy but 10 posts in a row about cats or zombies or Lebron. Stop.

Also YouTube music videos over and over and over.

MWM
06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
FB has been great for reconnecting with old high school and college friends. As annoying as it can be, I still enjoy it for the most part.

Same here. I've reconnected with people I hadn't seen since graduation who were an important part of my teen years. That's been awesome. Before Facebook, it's likely I never would have heard from them again unless both of us went to our class reunions.

cumberlandreds
06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
I dropped out of Facebook mainly because it was just a place to brag about kids and grandkids. Also for much of the silly inane things that some of you pointed out. I figured that if any of these friends really wanted to contact me after I dropped out of the FB world they would. It's been about a year now and I haven't heard a thing from any of these so called friends.

BuckeyeRed27
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm to the point where I block anyone an FB who is pregnant. Pregnant women on FB are a huge pet peeve of mine -- so many of them overshare every detail of the pregnancy (cravings, kicks, etc.) and subject my timeline to barrages of ultrasound pictures and (worse) pictures of them in "artful" poses exposing their stomachs as they go along.

Each of these posts always floats to the top of my timeline because, inevitably, all of their girlfriends post comment after comment all following the same general structure:

3. "I remember when I went through (insert aspect of pregnancy here) and how much I hated/liked it!"

I was going to post this exact same thing. I'm 29 now and it seems like every woman that I know has had or is having a baby. Some stuff that gets posted is just crazy. I have one person that posts incredible details about breast feeding and her thoughts on organic diapers.

NJReds
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
My wife and I use it mostly to share information and photos with family members and very close friends. If I see too many status updates or things that I don't like from an individual, I just block their posts from appearing on my feed. Just like I'd expect people that don't want to see pictures of my daughter to block my posts.

You can customize Facebook pretty much however you want.

BuckeyeRed27
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Same here. I've reconnected with people I hadn't seen since graduation who were an important part of my teen years. That's been awesome. Before Facebook, it's likely I never would have heard from them again unless both of us went to our class reunions.

I was talking to some friends a while back about how Facebook is probably killing high school reunions. I wasn't able to go to my 10 year last year, but out of class of almost 300 I believe only 25 or 30 people went. I have to believe that would not have been the case 5 or 10 years ago.

reds1869
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Constant political commentary. I have friends of all political persuasions and some of them feel the need to lead their own internet crusade. I'm all for the occasional political post/discussion, but when my entire feed is spammed up with your rants I tend to make you disappear. One of my friends created his own political persona where he keeps most of his controversial posts; I wish more people would do the same.

MWM
06-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I was talking to some friends a while back about how Facebook is probably killing high school reunions. I wasn't able to go to my 10 year last year, but out of class of almost 300 I believe only 25 or 30 people went. I have to believe that would not have been the case 5 or 10 years ago.

Same here. My 20 year is later this month, or next month, I don't remember. But I had little desire to go and am gonna sit this one out. Were it not for FB I'd probably not have missed it. Everyone I have any interest in seeing I've caught up with on FB.

Caveat Emperor
06-13-2012, 02:23 PM
I'll bet private high schools love that trend -- I'm pretty sure "reunion" to them is just a code word for "get people nostalgic enough to open up their wallets."

MWM
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I think another obvious one is people who are always preaching religion and quoting scripture. I have no problem at all with their beliefs and passion for those beliefs. But to preach to everyone is generally very condescending and self righteous. It just comes across as "hey everyone, look how righteous and spiritual I am."

RichRed
06-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I think another obvious one is people who are always preaching religion and quoting scripture. I have no problem at all with their beliefs and passion for those beliefs. But to preach to everyone is generally very condescending and self righteous. It just comes across as "hey everyone, look how righteous and spiritual I am."

Along those lines: the prayer requests. "Dear friends, my beloved hamster Murray is going in for surgery on his impacted tooth today. Please send prayers."

PedroBourbon
06-13-2012, 03:01 PM

My wife complains about that one too. She also has a friend who constantly posts pics/stories about shelter and rescue dogs. It's like seeing that animal commercial over and over, the one that makes you change the channel everytime you see it. (I think it's the one with the Sarah McLachlan song)

Her sister is the queen of trying to elicit the "what's wrong?" comments. She will post short vague things like "This is the worst thing that coulda happened" or "I'm just devastated" without any additional storyline. When you ask her, it's something trivial like her 13 year old daughter got dumped by her boyfriend of 1 week.

MWM
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
My wife complains about that one too. She also has a friend who constantly posts pics/stories about shelter and rescue dogs. It's like seeing that animal commercial over and over, the one that makes you change the channel everytime you see it. (I think it's the one with the Sarah McLachlan song)

Her sister is the queen of trying to elicit the "what's wrong?" comments. She will post short vague things like "This is the worst thing that coulda happened" or "I'm just devastated" without any additional storyline. When you ask her, it's something trivial like her 13 year old daughter got dumped by her boyfriend of 1 week.

:laugh:

foxfire123
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Constant political commentary. I have friends of all political persuasions and some of them feel the need to lead their own internet crusade. I'm all for the occasional political post/discussion, but when my entire feed is spammed up with your rants I tend to make you disappear. One of my friends created his own political persona where he keeps most of his controversial posts; I wish more people would do the same.

THIS! And I have one friend who is uber religious and posts hymn lyrics nearly every day. She's a good friend, and she doesn't preach at me in real life, so I tolerate it on FB. I do kind of get revenge sharing some my atheist friends posts that I find amusing, I know that gets her goat a bit. :thumbup:

jojo
06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
My biggest pet peeve with FB? It postures as a social experience but it's woefully shallow as a social experience. Basically, IMHO, FB is a way to vaguely keep track of second tier people in your life. As a means of serious, quality interaction, it's basically making small talk. And for the pleasure, FB gets to track all kinds of stuff about you that frankly is scary.

I guess, I see it as trading FB a ten dollar bill for a shiny, crisp $1 bill. They get more out of me being on FB than I do.

Homer Bailey
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
"(blank) days until I marry my best friend!"

MWM
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
"(blank) days until I marry my best friend!"

That's actually how most of the posts about how much they love their spouse. It's usually something like "X years ago today I married my best friend. They've been the happiest years of my life. I love you sweetie."

nmculbreth
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Word. The absolute nadir of this phenomenon is the picture of the used pregnancy test.

06-13-2012, 11:10 PM
My biggest pet peeve with FB? It postures as a social experience but it's woefully shallow as a social experience. Basically, IMHO, FB is a way to vaguely keep track of second tier people in your life.

I don't have any good friends as Facebook friends, I figure I see and talk to them regularly enough that there's nothing I can learn from their facebook posts. I use it to keep track of acquaintances who I rarely see or talk to, espeically those somehow connected to my work. It is a great way to keep track of old classmates without having to actually talk to them, a really big plus for me :)

oneupper
06-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Lots of things annoy me about facebook. Right now, its that EVERY single website in the world wants me to "log in with FACEBOOK".

NO I DONT WANT TO LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK. EVER. Stop asking me and get my profile picture off your stupid site.

(note to REDSZONE admins...please don't start doing this).

Tom Servo
06-13-2012, 11:43 PM
The majority of my FB friends are my high school friends from back in Jersey, and the amount of people I see coming out of the woodworks to support the newest 'hot' team like the Giants or Devils tends to annoy me (especially if I can remember when they rooted for another team).

dougdirt
06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
I created a facebook page for both of my dogs. It rules.

TeamCasey
06-14-2012, 05:34 AM
One that tops my list:

My friend's teenage daughters who post their picture from the bathroom mirror with that kissy, duckface. Everytime you see that duckface, post "quack" under the pic. ;)

SunDeck
06-14-2012, 07:29 AM
I have a real problem with Facebook. The company's business model is based on monetizing the connections between people, and by extension the information that makes up their online life. Thus, there is this incentive for them to find ever more creative ways to encourage users to "share" information. Obviously, there is a value swap; users populate the site with the details of their lives at no cost in exchange for creating an online network of "friends". However, to me that tradeoff is little understood by most users; for instance people who post crap loads of sensitive information about their kids, or worse, their kids problems- "Please pray for my daughter as she gets an MRI this week to see if her epilepsy is subsiding...". To me, there is far too little understanding of the personal online footprint and the potential downstream effects of loading a site like Facebook with the details of one's life.

Dom Heffner
06-14-2012, 08:25 AM
The folks who post things like" Wow, disappointed'" or "This sucks" and then no explanation follows. The drama stuff.

I had to block a girl who kept posting pictures of her three year old with captions of how she was going to be a dancer in New York City. Five a day, at least. I wanted to comment that nobody would pay a dime to see her daughter dance if nobody can stand it for free.

The prayer requests are dreadful....as well as the political comments from either side. Just not the time or place.

Dom Heffner
06-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Or- the dude who is everywhere and thinks he's cool. "Standing in line at LAX, about to board plane for Bangkok then off to Hawaii for the month!"

Tommyjohn25
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Can't believe I'm the first one to mention this one.

Posting pictures every night of the dinner you made, usually captioned with a "YES PLEASE!" Or "Look how vegan I am!"

Tommyjohn25
06-14-2012, 08:38 AM
I think I'm going to take all the pet peeves from this thread and create a "Facebook Super Status" that embodies everyones listed pet peeves soon, just to get back at everyone. :)

Dom Heffner
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Do any of you have the friend who complains about their job and they're really the one who's wrong?

I have a friend who sells cars and all he does is complain on facebook about people saying they are just coming in to look, as if the only way you should be on a car lot is if you're ready to buy right then. Buying a car might be the worst process known to man, and it isn't the customer that makes it that way. "Oh let me check with my manager..." as if the guy whose job it is to sell can't make any decisions without leaving you there while he goes and has a private conversation with some dude wearing a tie from the Clinton era.

Like, sure, customers are a pain, but you're the one that stuck a $17500 sticker on the car and when I ask about it you say, yes you get that price with a $3500 down payment on top of the $17500...unreal a car salesman complaining about the customer....

sonny
06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Farm Mob Fish Pet Zoo Ville

dougdirt
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
The prayer requests are dreadful..... Just not the time or place.

Really, prayer requests aren't the place? Please explain that one.

TeamCasey
06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Farm Mob Fish Pet Zoo Ville

You can block those. Go to your settings.

marcshoe
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Overactive users. I can truat that any time I go to FB I will see a page full of posrs from 3 people who will crowd the others out. It was 4 intil two days ago.

LoganBuck
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM
On the prayer requests-- If someone is ill, going for surgery, going through a traumatic time in their life I don't find anything wrong with this. Prayer requests for job interviews, dogs, court appearances for a DUI that you committed, etc Not OK

The parents with one kid under the age of 1 year old, who constantly post pictures of their kid doing things like eating the remote control, with the caption "How can I possibly love someone more" in an album that is titled "I love you more than anything"

Dog advocates, that are looking for homes for pitbulls. I have two friends involved in these rescue operations, and I just want to express my extreme dislike of pitbulls, no matter how well they were raised.

The person trying to win something, who must post updates to his status 10 times daily that show pictures from something or somewhere that I don't give a flip about.

The person that thinks all those photoshopped pictures of soldiers, their widows, their widowed kids, widowed dogs, or their graves are real, and must constantly post them.

Chick getting married who constantly writes "In x days I will marry my best friend." Stab me please.

Gay guy who shares his crazy dream fantasies. Zombies and Dudes making out. Nuff said.

Roy Tucker
06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Overactive users. I can truat that any time I go to FB I will see a page full of posrs from 3 people who will crowd the others out. It was 4 intil two days ago.

This.

I got FB-friended from nieces and nephews which is all well and fine. But I finally turned off their news feed because they post incessantly.

On a related note, don't post photos of you tongue-kissing and getting fondled by boy or girl friend. Or partying heavily. Uncle Roy doesn't want to see these things. I knew you as a little kid.

Dom Heffner
06-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Really, prayer requests aren't the place? Please explain that one.

For me religion isn't something that should be bandied about on a social network where you have people of differing faiths, believers/non-believers...

I don't find it offensive, but it gets tiring seeing all the prayer requests for very trivial things- track meets, job interviews, etc.

As the prior poster said if it's cancer or something I can see it, but what I'm talking about is the stuff that is everyday stuff.

We should have a thread on prayer- we can talk about how it's changed nothing.

KronoRed
06-14-2012, 08:02 PM
I think some of you guys just hate people :D

LoganBuck
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM

People are the worst.

vaticanplum
06-14-2012, 08:19 PM

This should be posted in Facebook's Terms of Service.

Raisor
06-15-2012, 06:32 AM
What am I allowed to post about?

dougdirt
06-15-2012, 07:30 AM

Hot girls. Baseball.

The only posts that bother me are the overly political ones. From either side. I just don't like politics. It brings out the worst in people.

MWM
06-15-2012, 07:34 AM

I read all your posts, dude. You use Facebook like its supposed to be. You'd be a really good example for others. :)

SeeinRed
06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
There are so many pet peeves that I have when it comes to Facebook that it would take too long to list them all. They include:

-People who use jokes or sayings from a comedian and try to pass them off as their own
-People who try to be witty all the time
-People who think you want to know what they think about current news events and how awful they think they are
-Pretty much anything people try to pass off as inspiring
-People who tell you all about what their kids are doing
-Hipsters and thier stupid quotes and instagram photos
-People who think they are photographers because of instagram or because they have a nice camera
-"I'm so ugly" posts
-Hipsters again
-Teenagers and college kids who think they can give meaningful life advice

Thats enough for now I believe. I really don't like Facebook. Probably don't really like people either. Except you people, you're cool.

Raisor
06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
I read all your posts, dude. You use Facebook like its supposed to be. You'd be a really good example for others. :)

Ok so song lyrics, beard experiments,and updating the constant battle between Votto the cat and Joey Votto are acceptable? Score!

dougdirt
06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
updating the constant battle between Votto the cat and Joey Votto are acceptable? Score!
This sounds like a youtube channel that could make tons of money! :laugh:

Raisor
06-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Votto Huckleberry Raisor goes on the kitten disabled list today. He's having surgery that he isn't going to be happy about, but should be back at then od the 15 days. Joey needs this time to get back in the race as he is far behind in the win column.

Johnny Footstool
06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Along those lines: the prayer requests. "Dear friends, my beloved hamster Murray is going in for surgery on his impacted tooth today. Please send prayers."

OOOH! Here's a real one I saw a couple of years ago.

"Hoping for a reasonable estimate on the chimney repairs. Please send prayers."

medford
06-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I'll admit, I don't use facebook, but can't you just unfollow someone if all they post are pictures about their kids that you don't care about? Does Facebook automatically show you the pictures that others post on their page? Can you just turn that off? In my world, I'd only see the pictures you post on your page if I go to your page, perhaps that's not how FB works.

vaticanplum
06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll admit, I don't use facebook, but can't you just unfollow someone if all they post are pictures about their kids that you don't care about? Does Facebook automatically show you the pictures that others post on their page? Can you just turn that off? In my world, I'd only see the pictures you post on your page if I go to your page, perhaps that's not how FB works.

Yes, you can hide people from your news feed without defriending them and they never know about it. You can also do the reverse and have your own profile on limited view (e.g., no status updates, no pictures) to certain people you're friends with.

I have so many people hidden from my news feed, including almost everyone I went to high school with, that I wonder why I even keep them on as friends. The people who can't see much of what I post are current/former work colleagues and, bizarrely, some family members, because I don't want to get into it with them politically. And I don't even say much politically on Facebook. Facebook is a weird world. I hate the interface so much now that I'd drop it completely if it weren't such a simple way to keep updated on the people I do care about.

RichRed
06-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Votto Huckleberry Raisor goes on the kitten disabled list today. He's having surgery that he isn't going to be happy about, but should be back at then od the 15 days. Joey needs this time to get back in the race as he is far behind in the win column.

Prayers sent.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
-40-year old women posing for pics of themselves on a daily basis. At dinner. New dress. At the pool. In the mirror. FB has killed the next reunion for me. I had no desire to see 50% of the self-indulgent people I grew up with. Now, it's pretty much 90% of them.

-The multiple teeny-bopper and 20-something cousins that take pics of themselves in the mirror and stick out their lips in the pouty Olson twin look. Daily. And someone always takes the bait and posts, "you are soooo pretty....." or "U shld be a model...OMG!!11!1".

-The multiple teeny-bopper and 20-something cousins that drop f-bombs (or worse) for the world to see and whine about everything. Drama.

-The vague posts screaming for "what's wrong?" responses. Drama.

-"I'm going to the gym." Good for you.

-"Cruisin' in the 'vette tonight." We get it, you have a Corvette. Kewl.

-"I think I'm going to get a new tat today". Great, you're 19 and can barely feed the newborn that you have, you should definitely go out and get a new tat.

-"Look how cute my kid is." (self-pic taken in the mirror holding child and showing off new tat). Sample of responses: "Ur such a great Mom." "She's sooo cute." "Nice tat." "Ur hot!!11!!

-Amway friend. "Sign up for this." Nope. Blockage.

-FB was really pretty great in the beginning, but now it's been ruined by people like this. In a way, it's kind of useful though. It's helped separate people I wouldn't mind keeping in touch with or running into and those that I will run the other way if I happen to see them walking in my direction. I would say that it's created an entire generation of monsters, but it's not limited to one age group and I'm pretty sure these people were like this to begin with. It's just highlights the sad situation of our culture today. A bunch of whiney, insecure, megalomaniacs fishing for compliments on a daily basis. It's like crack for monsters.

Thank you Facebook. I hate you Facebook. Why can't I quit you?

Redsfaithful
06-15-2012, 02:17 PM
OOOH! Here's a real one I saw a couple of years ago.

"Hoping for a reasonable estimate on the chimney repairs. Please send prayers."

Can we just turn this thread into status updates we read like this one?

I'm not sure why but Facebook has gotten a lot less usable lately. It seems like everything is people liking pictures from pages like "BIG FUNNY ALL THE TIME" and "SUPER SAD SOLDIERS" that have millions of followers.

After watching what's happened to Reddit I'm starting to think any community will turn into an image board, given enough growth.

RichRed
06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
After watching what's happened to Reddit I'm starting to think any community will turn into an image board, given enough growth.

That could explain the popularity of Pinterest, which I have no interest in but my wife loves.

I do admit that I'm sometimes guilty of "liking" a funny card or photo on FB though, in lieu of having anything worthwhile to say.

redsfanmia
06-15-2012, 04:28 PM
One of my friends constantly posts about how either she is sick or her kids are sick or how horrible her kids are, pretty sure she has Munchhausen syndrome.

Todd Gack
06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
People who complain about Facebook and still check it everyday

LoganBuck
06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
One of my friends constantly posts about how either she is sick or her kids are sick or how horrible her kids are, pretty sure she has Munchhausen syndrome.

My wife is always talking about how sick people in our family are. Drives me crazy.

Typical post "Another day, another sinus headache"

Another one in general is people that post about where projectile vomit from their children ended up, and what time they had to clean it.

vaticanplum
06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Another one in general is people that post about where projectile vomit from their children ended up, and what time they had to clean it.

A girl I went to college with once posted about her baby's "poopsplosion". That warranted an immediate defriending.

I realize this may be limited to my sphere of social interaction, but actresses (it's always actresses) who post albums full of gorgeous, highly retouched headshots under the guise of "Help me pick, I can't choose!!" also get an immediate defriending. Not only is this annoying and attention-seeking, it's unprofessional.

MilotheMayor
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
7 minutes ago

In exactly one year, I will marry my best friend :) Let the countdown begin!

Can't wait! :beerme:

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Some people confuse the difference between Facebook and Twitter, I think. IMO, a Facebook status should be posted infrequently and it should carry some weight. Keep your whimsical thoughts on Twitter where I can simply not follow you... :)

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
I hate that if a friend comments on a status or likes a photo of one of their friends that I don't know it shows up in my news feed unless I explicitly go and change my settings for that "friendship".

I agree if we are specifically talking about a friend of a friend, but I do enjoy seeing what my friends "like" on pages, such as those for a movie, band, etc. I think that's a great way to be exposed to something new.

That said, I'm one of those people who checks Facebook at least ten times a day, so I like to have a constantly fresh news feed...

15fan
06-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Guilty as charged.

Razor Shines
06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Can we just turn this thread into status updates we read like this one?

I like this idea, but I think we should throw in some examples of good posts.

My cousin posted this today:

"I just spent 20 minutes explaining 'light years' to someone on YouTube...might not have been the best use of my time."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bengalsown
06-15-2012, 10:04 PM
People who post "Happy birthday to my beautiful, amazing wife! I'm so excited to see the next 70 birthdays!!!" while their wife is sitting on the other side of the couch.

George Anderson
06-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Whenever I feel like my life sucks I go to FB and look at the miserable dregs on there posting about their pathetic lives and suddenly I feel better about myself.

"I gotta go to bed now, I got a busy day tomorrow, I hope everyone has a good weekend" :bash:

dougdirt
06-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Whenever I feel like my life sucks I go to FB and look at the miserable dregs on there posting about their pathetic lives and suddenly I feel better about myself.

"I gotta go to bed now, I got a busy day tomorrow, I hope everyone has a good weekend" :bash:

They work at a hammer factory? Strange job.

George Anderson
06-16-2012, 12:00 AM
They work at a hammer factory? Strange job.

No that is just the reaction I feel towards people that post things like they were going to bed and they have a busy day tomorrow. Thanks for wasting 10 seconds of my life telling me something I could care less about.

sonny
06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Posting a massive amount of old pictures you found in your mothers basement. I don't really care to see current pictures of you, what will my reaction be to the ones during sophomore flag corp camp?

jojo
06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Posting a massive amount of old pictures you found in your mothers basement. I don't really care to see current pictures of you, what will my reaction be to the ones during sophomore flag corp camp?

I guess the last few pages sum up my feelings about facebook. If a lot of the peeves mentioned are bothersome, it's likely the person really isn't a true friend. Facebook is more mirage than miracle of technology. A lot of the peeves can basically be summed up as too much info about someone that really isn't important in my life. You'd be giddy to see news about your daughter's ultrasound. The niece of a highschool acquaintance you haven't actually talked to in 20 years? Not so much. While the privacy settings are a pain especially since they always seem to get tweaked without warning it was kind of empowering to know that you could manage who sees what. Then it dawns on you that others are also selectively sharing so even the mirage of interacting is even further from true interaction in reality. Some people might even be on a friend list but essentially not sharing anything. Facebook even decides what you "should" see based upon what "you" find most interesting. What's the point? We're mostly just an avatar on someone's friends list while facebook greedily stores data it can sell or worse share with the government. Frankly it's kind of uninteresting and for the pleasure, it's way too costly.

Now someone needs to start another thread where we complain about how search engines are no longer honest either.... Now get off of my cyberlawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raisor
06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
My 23 year old cousin who has five DWI convictions posting pictures of herself at the bar

reds1869
06-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Similar to one of my pet peeves: when my mother posts a bunch of old pictures of me that she found in the basement. I want everyone to forget about that stage of my development, mom.

improbus
06-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Has anyone switched to Google+? I like the circles of friends and the way it is organized. But, Facebook is so ubiquitous that it probably won't be going away anytime soon.

fearofpopvol1
06-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Facebook is a catch-22. I enjoy reading/watching the articles/videos posted by people I know, but there is also a lot of noise that I could do without.

These days, I much prefer twitter. It's a lot more suited toward information, which is better for me.

reds1869
06-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Has anyone switched to Google+? I like the circles of friends and the way it is organized. But, Facebook is so ubiquitous that it probably won't be going away anytime soon.

I prefer google+ and would switch completely if more of my friends did the same. Unfortunately only a few of them are there, and of those very few actually post anything.

TeamCasey
06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
-

-The multiple teeny-bopper and 20-something cousins that take pics of themselves in the mirror and stick out their lips in the pouty Olson twin look. Daily. And someone always takes the bait and posts, "you are soooo pretty....." or "U shld be a model...OMG!!11!1".

That's Kissy Ducky face! Just type "quack" under those photos. :)

Todd Gack
06-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Facebook is a catch-22. I enjoy reading/watching the articles/videos posted by people I know, but there is also a lot of noise that I could do without.

These days, I much prefer twitter. It's a lot more suited toward information, which is better for me.

Twitter is where I'm at. I love politics so I get ALL of my information from Twitter. I have friends on there that occasionally clog up the feed with useless info (I do it at times), but twitter is something I'm surprised hasn't caught on as much as much as Facebook.

(PS I deleted my Facebook account when my mother AND grandma opened an account. They weren't the sole reason, but it was the final straw.)

fearofpopvol1
06-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Twitter is where I'm at. I love politics so I get ALL of my information from Twitter. I have friends on there that occasionally clog up the feed with useless info (I do it at times), but twitter is something I'm surprised hasn't caught on as much as much as Facebook.

(PS I deleted my Facebook account when my mother AND grandma opened an account. They weren't the sole reason, but it was the final straw.)

I completely agree. Twitter is MUCH better these days. I think it will continue to challenge Facebook. I think they've stole some of facebook's thunder already.

GAC
06-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Same here. I've reconnected with people I hadn't seen since graduation who were an important part of my teen years.

That was the only reason I joined FB about 3 years ago. There's a special section for my graduating class of 73, and I was able to catch up with a lot of schoolmates I haven't seen in ages. Other then that, I'm no a FB person at all.

My biggest pet peeves? Gee, where do I start?....

The constant friend invites. If I accept an invite with someone I actually know, like a relative, co-worker, etc., I'm all of a sudden flooded with invites from their friends, family, everyone in their little world, people I don't even know. Does FB do this automatically? Make it stop for cryin' out loud!

My Friend's Secret, or getting this "Someone Knows Something About You" (click here)

The game invites. I don't want to play friggin' Farmville!

Razor Shines
06-17-2012, 01:34 PM
How many times has something similar to this been on your news feed today?

"Any fool can make a baby but it takes a man to be a dad."

06-17-2012, 01:41 PM
When people see that it's someone's birthday, since Facebook tells them it's their birthday, and then post a "Happy Birthday" message on the birthday person's Facebook wall.

On my birthday, my page gets cluttered with Birthday messages from people I never see and don't talk to all year. i know they didn't remember my birthday, and are just trying to get bonus points by making it seem like they did. My real friends call, text or email me, and by best friends actually see me.

*BaseClogger*
06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
When people see that it's someone's birthday, since Facebook tells them it's their birthday, and then post a "Happy Birthday" message on the birthday person's Facebook wall.

On my birthday, my page gets cluttered with Birthday messages from people I never see and don't talk to all year. i know they didn't remember my birthday, and are just trying to get bonus points by making it seem like they did. My real friends call, text or email me, and by best friends actually see me.

Yeah, what horrible people! :censored:

06-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, what horrible people! :censored:

They are all well beyond horrible people. If I had the time to find them all, pummel them to a bloody pulp, break their legs, then shoot them in the head, I would ;)

jojo
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
They are all well beyond horrible people. If I had the time to find them all, pummel them to a bloody pulp, break their legs, then shoot them in the head, I would ;)

Just don't post about it on your FB page because FB posts can be used as evidence in court.

Caseyfan21
06-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Some people confuse the difference between Facebook and Twitter, I think. IMO, a Facebook status should be posted infrequently and it should carry some weight. Keep your whimsical thoughts on Twitter where I can simply not follow you... :)

This.

I hate they have the feature where your Tweets can be automatically posted as Facebook statuses too. And I have a lot of Facebook friends who don't have Twitter accounts that really need them to post all the crap they bomb my timeline with.

Oh, and also the people that post a tweet and a facebook status that are identical. I understand doing that for something big events but for everyday crap just share on Twitter and save from reading it twice.

Caseyfan21
06-17-2012, 04:04 PM
One I really find annoying is the "over commenters." I have some friends who literally think they need to post a comment on every status/picture I post. There are 2-3 people who I know will ALWAYS comment. And the best part is they aren't even that great of friends so I barely know them. If they post this much on my updates I can't imagine actually being their friend seeing how many comments I would get. I'll give everyone a chance but if someone starts commenting too much I block all my updates from them.

Another annoying one is the people posting daily (or more) pictures of their baby. I get it, you had a baby and love it. But I don't see why there needs to be daily pictures. And this is even amplified by the people who don't have very cute babies and still post tons of pictures. :laugh:

The people that post 5 Youtube videos a day also annoy me. They get blocked.

The people that send me any request for whatever app also get blocked.

SunDeck
06-17-2012, 04:15 PM

There are points in Facebook?

I hate the points system and want my old Facebook back! Copy and paste this into your status if you agree!

OldRightHander
06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Ok, I'm a Christian, and a pretty outspoken one, but I don't think I need to prove it by sharing every picture that tells me that if I really love the Lord I'm going to share it with 10 people.

Razor Shines
06-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ok, I'm a Christian, and a pretty outspoken one, but I don't think I need to prove it by sharing every picture that tells me that if I really love the Lord I'm going to share it with 10 people.

I'm also a Christian and I cannot stand those meme style pictures.

Captain13
06-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Whiners. Whiners bother me the most. In real life, and on FB.

I know you have a bad back, I understand it hurts. I also know you will probably end up an addict of pain pills, but I don't need to hear about it every day...three times a day.

I know you hate your job. I know your boss/customers are evil. I also know if you worked for me, I would have fired you for communicating those feelings.

I know you hate your ex. That is why he/she is an ex. Most of us have one, most of them are insufferable. I don't care about yours.

Most of the things people complain about are true for everyone; I could write volumes about hardships and trouble in my life, but really if my biggest problem now is reading whiners on FB my life is pretty darn good.

redsfan1980
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

yeah twitter is as good as the people who you follow IMO