PDA

View Full Version : Derek Lowe vs. Dusty

Big Klu
06-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Lowe claims that Baker has ordered Reds pitchers to throw at him on purpose.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2012/06/derek-lowe-has-no-love-for-dusty-baker/

BCubb2003
06-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Derek Lowe went into a tirade tonight about how much he hates Dusty, according to Mark Sheldon and Jordan Bastian, the MLB Cleveland writer:

I have zero respect for the guy not that it matters. I imagine hed say the same about me."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/06/13/lowe-furious-with-baker/

Have we heard about this before?

BCubb2003
06-14-2012, 12:44 AM
You can combine my post with this one. Have we heard about this before?

WVPacman
06-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Derek Lowe went into a tirade tonight about how much he hates Dusty, according to Mark Sheldon and Jordan Bastian, the MLB Cleveland writer:

I have zero respect for the guy not that it matters. I imagine hed say the same about me."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/06/13/lowe-furious-with-baker/

Have we heard about this before?

They have to be video of this somewhere!!

Big Klu
06-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I've never heard anything about it before. I turned the TV to STO after the Reds postgame was over, and it was a hot topic on Chuck's Last Call.

OesterPoster
06-14-2012, 12:47 AM
What is awesome...Latos and Lowe rematch Monday in Cleveland. But with a DH this time.

Tom Servo
06-14-2012, 12:48 AM
For the life of me I have no idea what Lowe is talking about. What happened in 2008? He didn't even pitch against the Reds that year...

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:49 AM
I found Votto's approach (not moving an inch in the box) to Lowe interesting. Related? Definitely some animosity going on.

06-14-2012, 12:51 AM
I had no idea Derek Lowe pitched for the Cardinals :cool:

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Regardless, sounds like Dusty is in Lowe's head.

Kc61
06-14-2012, 12:53 AM
I found Votto's approach (not moving an inch in the box) to Lowe interesting. Related? Definitely some animosity going on.

The Votto thing was wild. I've never seen anything like it before. Basically didn't move an inch while in that box while Lowe was pitching.

I thought Votto was suggesting that Lowe quick pitches guys so Votto stayed in his batting stance throughout the whole at bat.

Something definitely going on there.

WVPacman
06-14-2012, 12:56 AM

What inning did that happen in Kal?

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:58 AM
What inning did that happen in Kal?

I believe at least in his 2nd AB if not the others. FSOH was all
over it as they played the 6/7 pitch AB in fast forward and Votto was like a statue.

hebroncougar
06-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Lowe says Baker had Latos pitch him in, on purpose. Said it goes back to his last year with LA.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

dougdirt
06-14-2012, 01:05 AM
For the life of me I have no idea what Lowe is talking about. What happened in 2008? He didn't even pitch against the Reds that year...

Yes he did (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200806180.shtml).

Chip R
06-14-2012, 01:07 AM
He'd fit right in here.

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I remember wanting Lowe as a FA before the 2009 season. I guess that never had a chance.

corkedbat
06-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Sounds like Mr. Lowe's hat could use a nice coating of tin foil.

Tony Cloninger
06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Maybe his hat was made with mercury.....just like them olden days.

Tom Servo
06-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Yes he did (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200806180.shtml).
:doh:

gilpdawg
06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Didn't Lowe have a very high profile adultery issue around then? Probably shouldn't speculate but it was in the news and is public record. Don't know what the Dusty connection would be.

dougdirt
06-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Didn't Lowe have a very high profile adultery issue around then? Probably shouldn't speculate but it was in the news and is public record. Don't know what the Dusty connection would be.

Ballplayers have been known to date Dusty's daughter, right? :laugh:

Larkin Fan
06-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Has Lowe been drinking again?

BearcatShane
06-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Interesting. Outside of Tony Larussa Dusty seems to be generally really well liked around the game. Maybe Lowe is really good friends with Mark Prior and thinks Dusty ruined him. Dusty makes some head scratching moves sometimes but IDK who anyone wouldn't have respect for him.

GAC
06-14-2012, 05:50 AM
I guess Dusty was such a distraction to Lowe last night, that's why he had 6 BBs in 6 innings.

Maybe Lowe's whining can get him traded to the Cards, and he can get a locker next to Carpenter. And in his spare time he can join in on the fun over on the "Fire Dust Baker Now" thread. LOL

GoReds
06-14-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess Dusty was such a distraction to Lowe last night, that's why he had 6 BBs in 6 innings.

Maybe Lowe's whining can get him traded to the Cards, and he can get a locker next to Carpenter. And in his spare time he can join in on the fun over on the "Fire Dust Baker Now" thread. LOL

Yes, but how will Derrick Lowe explain this to Chris Carpenter's son?

cumberlandreds
06-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Yea that was interesting. I loved it though. It was like Votto was saying "Bring it on big boy. I can handle anything you got." And he did.:)

edabbs44
06-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Maybe Lowe has Hoover on his rotisserie team.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 09:15 AM
They have to be video of this somewhere!!

I did see this during the game. It was an inside pitch, sure. It didn't LOOK to have any intent behind it. But Lowe did single in his first AB and he was crowding the plate. I saw him point to the dugout, but that was it. I'd be surprised if it had any intent to it besides Latos commanding the inside part of the plate.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Okay, I went back and looked at that '08 game. He never got hit by a pitch and the only pitcher he faced in that entire game was Arroyo. Is he saying he got brushed back by BRONSON?!? LOL.

brad1176
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Lowe struck out swinging twice in that game against Arroyo, and as Charles said was not HBP. Aren't Lowe and Bronson friends?

marcshoe
06-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Dusty ruined his arm. No idea how, since he was never his manager, but it must have happened.

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I imagine the Dodgers are going to be thrilled with reporters popping by to ask about what Lowe's alleging. Of course, reading up on Derek Lowe, the person, he sounds like a real louse. Hopefully he'll be seething still when we play them again.

RichRed
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
It's pretty obvious: Derek Lowe hates toothpicks. I hear he couldn't stand this guy either.

http://cnt.toppsmillion.com/img/cards/1981-BB-TS1-26-NA_F_285x412.jpg

Patrick Bateman
06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Maybe Lowe has Hoover on his rotisserie team.

:lol:

traderumor
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a paranoia issue to me. Maybe he should see someone about that.

Lowe must have consulted the Super Genius "How to and How NOT to pitch inside" textbook that is the accepted standard according to the narcissistic Super Genius himself.

P. 125 "Thou shalt not pitch above 95 MPH AND throw a pitch inside to an opposing pitcher, even if the hitter/pitcher is crowding the plate and got a hit the first time to the plate. If it does occur, whine to the press, build a case on innuendo, or just make stuff up. Remember, if Aaron Harang can be considered dangerous, any opposing pitcher can be considered armed and dangerous."

CySeymour
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Was the pitch from Latos really that close to him?

WildcatFan
06-14-2012, 11:47 AM
The Votto thing was wild. I've never seen anything like it before. Basically didn't move an inch while in that box while Lowe was pitching.

I thought Votto was suggesting that Lowe quick pitches guys so Votto stayed in his batting stance throughout the whole at bat.

Something definitely going on there.

I missed the game but just went back and watched that at-bat. What a weird sequence. Votto only saw one pitch the previous at-bat, so either he was taking up for his teammates, or he was just trying to get into Lowe's head. You could see Lowe turn around and cuss a couple times, clearly shaken by what Votto was doing. Joey is just the best.

So many people are going to get hit next week. I can't wait.

dabvu2498
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
This took a turn for the weird...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/06/14/baker-fires-back-at-lowe-with-explosive-accusations/

Does Dusty get suspended for ordering up a brushback and admitting to it in the press?

WildcatFan
06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh my. From Jon Fay, here's Dusty's response. He may have gone a little too far here:

“He had some words for me. I really didn’t want to make a public thing or a public spectacle. He’s the one who brought it up. He had some choice words for me. I really don’t care if he respects me. It doesn’t matter.

“No. 1, you’ve got to ask him why he hit Joey Votto in the back two years ago. Yesterday, he took exception to a ball inside that didn’t hit him, then hit Brandon Phillips after that.

“I’m not denying nothing. I didn’t order anyone to hit him. I told (Mat Latos) to buzz him and make him uncomfortable. That’s what happened. Nobody hit him. Then he hit our guy.

“What he was talking about was something that he said and did a few years. You got to ask him what that was. You got a lot people involved in the situation that didn’t need to be involved in the situation. It didn’t come from there.

“Go ask him since he made it public. Understand what I’m saying. I’ll let it rest at that since he’s such a big man running his mouth talking about himself.”

It really got ugly when a reporter asked Baker if it bothered him when a player says he doesn’t respect you.

“Man, I don’t care,” Baker said. “A lot of people don’t respect me. He don’t respect himself. The word was whatever he did and said probably there was a good chance he was drinking at the ballpark and he don’t remember what he said or what he did. OK.

“When he said I shook my finger at him to say I didn’t have nothing to do with it. It wasn’t to say I didn’t have anything to do with it. It was to say: Don’t mess with me or my team. That’s what that means. He better learn sign language. OK.

“I’m done with it.”

HeatherC1212
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a feeling that Derek Lowe is going to wish he had kept his mouth shut at least until the Reds/Indians home & away series were done for this year. He opened up a big can of worms! :eek:

CySeymour
06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Oh my. From Jon Fay, here's Dusty's response. He may have gone a little too far here:

Yep, over the top. This is a great way to get one of your players drilled and hurt. Not good, Dusty.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Was the pitch from Latos really that close to him?

He definitely had to move. I think it would've hit him in the bicep area if he's held his ground.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, I guess I was flat out wrong when I said I didn't think it was intentional. It was a brushback, not at attempt to plunk him though. Big difference.

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Yep, over the top. This is a great way to get one of your players drilled and hurt. Not good, Dusty.

Seriously? I'm reading it and thinking "how do people not love this guy?" after reading his remarks. Saying to "buzz" someone isn't telling someone to hit a guy. It's saying make him uncomfortable. Pitch him inside and see how tough he is. And "don't mess with my team." I think folks are so anti-Dusty (not saying that's your intent here at all) because he does give due reverence to "modern" ways of approaching the game, that when he goes all old school like this, we don't appreciate it. Don Drysdale must be rolling over in his grave at the qualms over this.

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/06/14/baker-fires-back-at-lowe-with-explosive-accusations/

Does Dusty get suspended for ordering up a brushback and admitting to it in the press?

No way he gets suspended for that to answer your question.

CySeymour
06-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Seriously? I'm reading it and thinking "how do people not love this guy?" after reading his remarks. Saying to "buzz" someone isn't telling someone to hit a guy. It's saying make him uncomfortable. Pitch him inside and see how tough he is. And "don't mess with my team." I think folks are so anti-Dusty (not saying that's your intent here at all) because he does give due reverence to "modern" ways of approaching the game, that when he goes all old school like this, we don't appreciate it. Don Drysdale must be rolling over in his grave at the qualms over this.

I was talking about the comments, not the brushback.

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:15 PM
If both teams aren't warned before the game today, Leake may want to "harmlessly" plunk a guy to draw out the warning just to protect our guys. Also it would probably bring out pre-game warnings for the next series, and you know Lowe is just gonna be chomping at the bit.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Spot on. I've got ZERO problems with this move or with anything Dusty said.

redsfan30
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Damn!

cumberlandreds
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM

I'd say if anything the players respect Dusty much more now. He's taking up for them. That can go a long way towards team unity.

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
I was talking about the comments, not the brushback.

Didn't see that, but thanks for clarifying. I still like Baker's tenaciousness with this. Lowe chooses to run his mouth, he has to expect Baker to have a response, particularly when he says Baker will deny whatever he's ranting about. Personally, it's this no nonsense approach to the game that I appreciate in Dusty. Not saying you or others don't share. I suspect it was this sort of thing that drove LaRussa and the Cardinals nuts, that Baker's not going to step back from someone pushing him or his team.

Brutus
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Why would he get suspended for having someone throw inside? That's perfectly legal.

WildcatFan
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM

My "a little too far" was in reference to the quote about drinking at the ballpark. Lowe was arrested for a DUI last year. Seems imprudent to bring that up in the press regarding a personal beef and a brushback.

That said, my favorite thing about Dusty Baker is his beefs.

CySeymour
06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Didn't see that, but thanks for clarifying. I still like Baker's tenaciousness with this. Lowe chooses to run his mouth, he has to expect Baker to have a response, particularly when he says Baker will deny whatever he's ranting about. Personally, it's this no nonsense approach to the game that I appreciate in Dusty. Not saying you or others don't share. I suspect it was this sort of thing that drove LaRussa and the Cardinals nuts, that Baker's not going to step back from someone pushing him or his team.

Fair enough, and yeah, I do love that Dusty sticks up for his team. And I do expect Leake to dust someone in the first inning to get it out of the way.

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
I liked this quote from Latos:

Latos on Lowe: I'd he wants to whine about it, he can whine about it. If I wanted to hit him, I would have hit him. Flat out. #reds

https://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman

paulrichjr
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Where do you watch this? I know someone else mentioned watching the entire at-bat. Is it on a highlight somewhere?

mdccclxix
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Lowe is looking really really stupid right about now.

dabvu2498
06-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Why would he get suspended for having someone throw inside? That's perfectly legal.

There is a fine line between "throwing inside" and making someone "uncomfortable."

WildcatFan
06-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Where do you watch this? I know someone else mentioned watching the entire at-bat. Is it on a highlight somewhere?

I watched the replay of the game with my MLB.tv subscription.

medford
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
I think this shows why so many of his players like Dusty. I know a lot or redszoners grumble about his lineups, I know he gets unfairly blamed for Mark Prior & Kerry Wood's arm issues, but I don't think many people understand or appreciate how Dusty makes all 25 players on the roster feel like they're important, that they all have a role.

Bob Borkowski
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Dusty mentioned that 2 years ago Lowe hit Votto in the back with a pitch.

Can someone point me toward the date that happened? Anyone remember?

Brutus
06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
There is a fine line between "throwing inside" and making someone "uncomfortable."

I don't really think so, personally. The point of throwing inside is to make someone uncomfortable, hence they (ideally) move off the plate a little. That may or may not have been Dusty's intention, but if he wasn't trying to have Latos hit the guy, I don't think it matters what his intention was.

Either he was trying to hit him or he wasn't and if he wasn't, then I honestly don't see a big deal as long as they weren't headhunting (which is extremely dangerous but that doesn't appear to be the case here in this situation).

Brutus
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Wow, Mat Latos fans the flame...

“I never thought a veteran player like him would whine so much about something. Seriously."

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Dusty mentioned that 2 years ago Lowe hit Votto in the back with a pitch.

Can someone point me toward the date that happened? Anyone remember?

It was actually in 2009

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200904250.shtml

mbgrayson
06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok, doing some research on when Lowe hit Votto. It was in the Reds- Braves game on April 25, 2009. I found this note in a blog (http://www.majorleagueblogging.com/three-words-take-that-reds/):

Now, here comes the tension from the game. D. Lowe took care of Yunel yesterday, hitting Joey Votto with a pitch in the first inning as revenge for Volquez hitting Yunel Friday night. Lowe was given a warning and was solid the rest of the day, despite Arroyo hitting Yunel again (though I’m not sure if that was on purpose or not. You never know)! Reds manager Dusty Baker and CF Joey Hairston jr. were ejected for arguing with HP umpire Mike Estabrook about Hairston being called out on strikes. There was a two or three minuet period where Baker wouldn’t leave the Dugout but eventually left. Would I be suprised if there was a fight today? Absoloutley not.

Brutus
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
More from Latos...

"If I wanted to hit him, I would have hit him...Lowe doesn’t throw hard enough for it to hurt, so I wasn’t too worried about it."

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
This just brings to light the fact that there's a lot of "inside baseball" that we don't get to see on a day-to-day basis. This one particular matter just made it to see the light of day.

Crumbley
06-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Loving all of this, Joey and Dusty are my dudes. Latos too.

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
What's funny for me is that I don't generally buy into the whole "machismo" thing. I think it's overrated and usually a lot of baloney. But I don't mind a manager who's going to stand up to a blowhard opponent and stand firmly with his players. That's what I like about this situation.

cumberlandreds
06-14-2012, 01:10 PM

I never thought a veteran player like him would whine so much about something. Seriously."

Need to introduce him to Chris Carpenter. The king of whining. Todays game may be a lot of fun. :lol:

Bob Borkowski
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
This whole episode could really fire-up and solidify the team, it seems to me. Good for team morale.

PickOff
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
More from Latos...

"If I wanted to hit him, I would have hit him...Lowe doesnt throw hard enough for it to hurt, so I wasnt too worried about it."

He sure is fanning the flames, and he also knows they are slated to face one another on Monday and that there will be a DH. You hope noone gets hurt here, but I like the gamemanship, it ups the interest of the announcers, fans, players. It brings an edge.

Is it legal in the American league to let your pitcher hit as the DH? Now that would be something to see...

OnBaseMachine
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't like Dusty Baker as a manager, but I admire the way he protects his players. I respect that. And I love those quotes from Mat Latos.

Tom Servo
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Dusty's the man.

Brutus
06-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Need to introduce him to Chris Carpenter. The king of whining. Todays game may be a lot of fun. :lol:

Indeed. I'll forgive Latos that he hasn't been formally introduced to the King.

jojo
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Regardless, sounds like Dusty is in Lowe's head.

That is a scary proprosition...

Although the next installment of the Abraham Lincoln franchise should be entertaining.... Abraham Lincoln, Dusty Baker Killer.

Hoosier Red
06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
This whole episode could really fire-up and solidify the team, it seems to me. Good for team morale.

Cue a 3-0 victory by the Indians in which the Reds grab a total of 3 hits and the game lasts just over 2 hours.
;)

kaldaniels
06-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Although the next installment of the Abraham Lincoln franchise should be entertaining.... Abraham Lincoln, Dusty Baker Killer.

I was thinking Being Derek Lowe.

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Cue a 3-0 victory by the Indians in which the Reds grab a total of 3 hits and the game lasts just over 2 hours.
;)

Don't be buying any lottery tickets today. That said, it could be a wild & wooly one today.

hebroncougar
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a couple guys need to grow up.

Crumbley
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a couple guys need to grow up.
They play a game for a living.

reds44
06-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Latos is fantastic. I have to admit I always thought he was a bit of a ****** when he was in San Diego, but I absolutely love him here. Also, I dislike Dusty as much as anybody who his comments were fantastic too. Don't back down when somebody calls you out. Good for him.

Big Klu
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Is it legal in the American league to let your pitcher hit as the DH? Now that would be something to see...

No, but use of a DH is optional, so an AL club can let its pitcher hit for himself (like a National League lineup). But they can't list the pitcher as the designated hitter so that he remains as the DH even after he leaves the mound.

Nah. The sequel will be "Andrew Jackson, Alien Chaser", and then "Theodore Roosevelt, Werewolf Killer".

The Operator
06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow, just wow. I noticed the Latos inside pitch on TV last night but never thought twice about it. I do remember the announcers talking about Votto's odd no-move plate appearance but again, I didn't think much of it. Now it all makes sense.

I have to say that for all their faults, I love this team's attitude. They aren't going to lay down and let anybody treat them like a doormat and if that upsets a team or two, oh well. Join Chris Carpenter and Derek Lowe in the complaints department.

westofyou
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
No, but use of a DH is optional, so an AL club can let its pitcher hit for himself (like a National League lineup). But they can't list the pitcher as the designated hitter so that he remains as the DH even after he leaves the mound.

They changed that because Earl Weaver would list Steve Stone as DH and PH for him based on the situation

Big Klu
06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
They changed that because Earl Weaver would list Steve Stone as DH and PH for him based on the situation

Yes. The starting DH must make one plate appearance unless the opposing team makes a pitching change (or he is injured in some freak occurance before he can make his first PA).

jojo
06-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Earl Weaver is awesome.

DGullett35
06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Im going to the game monday. Lowe vs. Latos. It should be exciting. Asdrubal Cabrera bobblehead night to boot.:)

redsmetz
06-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Cue a 12-5 victory by the Reds in which the Reds grab a total of 17 hits and the game lasts 3 hours and 16 minutes.
;)

What's that we say around here? Fixed that for you!

Hoosier Red
06-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Good man!

Caveat Emperor
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM

I never thought a veteran player like him would whine so much about something. Seriously."

That's a great line.

Caveat Emperor
06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Double post, but did anyone ever find out what the heck out Votto was doing during his AB against Lowe where he didn't move in the batters box for an entire AB?

westofyou
06-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Double post, but did anyone ever find out what the heck out Votto was doing during his AB against Lowe where he didn't move in the batters box for an entire AB?

Lowe is known for quick pitch ( ie not allowing the batter to get set) considering his approach is to upset timing Votto was simply returning the favor

The game revolves around the battle between batter and pitcher with fear being the catalyst of action... Batter afraid of the ball, batter afraid of failure

Ultimately the game is mental, and from what I see the Reds wiped the floor with Lowe last night

Roy Tucker
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I was at the game last night out in the moondeck.

I had no idea what deal was when BP got plunked. The ump did the point thing to Lowe and both benches, I asked my son "what the hell was that all about?".

And Votto's motionless AB was odd too. I thoght to myself WTH is with that?

Chip R
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Matt Latos must not be familiar with the collective works of one Chris Carpenter.

Dom Heffner
06-14-2012, 06:22 PM

They've already been drilled.

Yes, good, Dusty.

hebroncougar
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
They've already been drilled.

Yes, good, Dusty.

Wait, did we get drilled first last night? If so, I take back my comment. Only Lowe needs to grow up. Whoever started the shenanigans last night.......good grief, wasn't this 2-3 years ago?

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
;)

LOL. Ummm...not so much. :thumbup:

paulrichjr
06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I was at the game last night out in the moondeck.

I had no idea what deal was when BP got plunked. The ump did the point thing to Lowe and both benches, I asked my son "what the hell was that all about?".

And Votto's motionless AB was odd too. I thoght to myself WTH is with that?

This kind of stuff would really make games more interesting if you knew about it in advance. What if you would have known the history between Dusty and Lowe ahead of time. Maybe baseball should allow teams to advertise about a grudge match. "Watch as the Reds and Dusty Baker get even with Derek Lowe" :D

paulrichjr
06-14-2012, 07:15 PM
DP

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Wait, did we get drilled first last night? If so, I take back my comment. Only Lowe needs to grow up. Whoever started the shenanigans last night.......good grief, wasn't this 2-3 years ago?

Yes we did. Latos brushed back Lowe in the 5th after Lowe had singled in his first AB. The following half inning, Lowe plunked Phillips.

I personally think Lowe just thought we were trying to hit him in the 5th. From what I saw, Lowe had gotten a hit in his first AB and in his second AB he was crowding the plate...so Dusty signaled for the brushback because the last thing you want is the freaking pitcher getting comfortable at the plate. Good move by Dusty...poor reaction from Lowe.

The thing with Votto...I feel that was ALL Joey. Lowe works quickly so Votto was just saying "BRING IT!"

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Im going to the game monday. Lowe vs. Latos. It should be exciting. Asdrubal Cabrera bobblehead night to boot.:)

Keep in mind that since it's in Cleveland, neither Latos or Lowe will be batting. Of course that doesn't mean they can't hit the other guys though!

Dom Heffner
06-15-2012, 12:30 AM

Yes we did get drilled first last night. Lowe wasn't hit.

GAC
06-15-2012, 06:02 AM
I've always loved the brushed back pitch. It's a great way to send a message, get your point across, and - as Dusty stated - get in the head of the batter and possibly make them "uncomfortable". Especially if the hitter is the pitcher. And it obviously worked in Lowe's case.

But I've never liked intentionally hitting the batter. Yeah, I know, people are going to say that if your guy gets hit you have to retaliate and stand up for your teammate. I was listening to Tracy Jones on WLW yesterday giving Baker a hard time because he let his team down and missed an opportunity in Thursday's game to answer back. Give it a rest Tracy. If Baker ordered one of his pitchers to hit an Indian yesterday then all it's going to do is cause one huge melee, which may be "entertaining" to the fans, but could result in someone getting injured and lots of suspensions handed down, which means not only missed games but possible losses. Is it really worth it in the long run? Bottom line: Nothing good really comes out of it all, unless someone wants to inject that it may "emotionally" be the spark your team needs. Still ain't worth the risk IMO.

Lowe and Baker had their say (publicly). OK. Enough. It's not about you guys. This isn't Hatfield-McCoys. Let it go and move on. But if Baker, whom I respect, had Latos throw inside to Lowe simply because of something that happened a few years ago.... whether it was plunking Votto or some incident he won't discuss.... then I do find that kind of silly. And that is offered as no defense of Lowe's actions either. He's a whiner.

For Dusty and Lowe, time to cool off.... http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120614&content_id=33297866&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

What better way to "answer" then to beat their butts in the 3 game series, while outscoring them 24-9.

And I simply loved watching ex-Indian Phillips stick it to a team that basically discarded him.

dougdirt
06-15-2012, 08:22 AM
And I simply loved watching ex-Indian Phillips stick it to a team that basically discarded him.

To be fair, Phillips didn't give them much of a reason not to. With Cleveland in his career in the Majors: .206/.246/.310 in 462 PA's. Though to be fair 90% of that came as a 22 year old when he was simply not ready. But, as a 23 and 24 year old in AAA he had a .281/.345/.420 line. While that is ok, it isn't anything that should get anyone excited either. While I didn't watch him when he was with Cleveland, I could look at the stats between ages 22-24 between the Majors and Minors and think that maybe he is one of those guys where AAA was the level that 'figured him out'. His career AAA OPS was .740 and his line in the Majors was just for a .556 OPS.

lollipopcurve
06-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I could look at the stats between ages 22-24 between the Majors and Minors and think that maybe he is one of those guys where AAA was the level that 'figured him out'. His career AAA OPS was .740 and his line in the Majors was just for a .556 OPS.

Which would tell you that it's a mistake to give up on a highly talented 24-year-old middle infielder based on his stats at the highest levels, most notably the majors.

dougdirt
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Which would tell you that it's a mistake to give up on a highly talented 24-year-old middle infielder based on his stats at the highest levels, most notably the majors.

I agree. That is why you can't just look at stats.

kaldaniels
06-15-2012, 09:12 AM
My favorite takeaway here is that Dusty clarified that he was giving the Mutumbo finger wave.

http://deadspin.com/5918516/derek-lowe-and-dusty-baker-are-having-the-greatest-feud-ever