PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs to the DL, Willie Harris is back

Reds Fanatic
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
From Tom Groeschen's twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/TomGroeschen

Dusty says Stubbs is going to the DL retoractive to 9 days ago. Might be back by next weekend.

Willie Harris is back to take his spot.

Reds Fanatic
06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
The first game Stubbs would be eligible to come back would be Friday the 22nd against the Twins

PuffyPig
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm assuming with Heisey also banged up, the Reds couldn't afford the luxury of having both out.

Strikes Out Looking
06-15-2012, 05:31 PM
They should have dl'd Stubbs 9 days ago as I am still waiting for Jrs knee to get better...

RedEye
06-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Is it just me or does this club have a startling lack of offensive depth? Maybe I just grew complacent over the past few years with all of the prospects waiting in line to come up, but a lineup with both Wilson Valdez and Willie Harris in it doesn't strike fear in anyone.

Sea Ray
06-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Is it just me or does this club have a startling lack of offensive depth? Maybe I just grew complacent over the past few years with all of the prospects waiting in line to come up, but a lineup with both Wilson Valdez and Willie Harris in it doesn't strike fear in anyone.

It's startling all right. I touched on it here a few weeks ago:

Getting this back to the subject at hand: injuries, I think we as Reds fans ought not feel too smug at this point. Luckily we've been incredibly healthy this year and it shows in the standings but this is our Achilles Heel. I can think of very few starters we could afford to lose given our lack of depth. It goes without saying that Votto and Bruce are not replaceable but when you look at the whole team, there's a huge dropoff most everywhere.

At catcher we'd be looking at Corky Miller as a replacement. As for 3B and LF, we don't have major league avg guys to begin with. Stubbs could be replaced by Heisey but then our void in LF becomes even more glaring. Behind Cozart we have Valdez who is arguably not even a major leaguer let alone a starter.

Here's the thing, can we stay healthy and can most of our starters play 150+ games and not wear out? The Latos deal sent out a great deal of our depth and it may end up biting us in the end.

I like how we stand vs the rest of the NL Central now but I see trouble ahead

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2615990&postcount=34

I'm amazed there's been so much written about Dusty and his lineups and so little about the players he has to work with. This lack of depth is pretty much as bad as I've ever seen in this town and that includes some horrible teams

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Paul Janish was activated of the DL in Louisville. If he continues to hit down there I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him up here relatively soon.

redsmetz
06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
They should have dl'd Stubbs 9 days ago as I am still waiting for Jrs knee to get better...

This was a fluke situation. They weren't sure how long he would be unavailable and then, just as he's making progress, he (and a ton of other folks) come down with this flu. Now with Heisey iffy, they made the move and brought in a sub. Lots of clubs do this sort of thing, this one just bit us due to the circumstances.

mace
06-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Harris was no longer on the 40-man. To make room, they moved Masset to the 60-day DL.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cin#month=6&year=2012&team_id=113

redsmetz
06-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Harris was no longer on the 40-man. To make room, they moved Masset to the 60-day DL.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cin#month=6&year=2012&team_id=113

I figured that was the move they could make. Even if he's close, it buys them a bit of time to make a move without having to release someone from the 40 man.

kaldaniels
06-15-2012, 06:40 PM
As long as Costanzo is on the 40 man there is only one right choice to make.

DGullett35
06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Man I was hoping Stubbs would be back sat. or sun. Valdez hasn't been hitting the ball that bad his last couple opportunities. Id rather see him get the starts in CF until Heisey is ok.

redsmetz
06-15-2012, 07:29 PM

That being?

mth123
06-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Jordan Smith, Chris Valaika, Andrew Brackman ....

I'd keep Costanzo ahead of any of them.

redsmetz
06-15-2012, 08:23 PM

My point would be, why DFA anyone when you have a simple 60 DL option. We've invested in these players already on the 40 man roster, why lose that investment when it's completely unnecessary at the moment, no matter whether others there will help or not.

mth123
06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
My point would be, why DFA anyone when you have a simple 60 DL option. We've invested in these players already on the 40 man roster, why lose that investment when it's completely unnecessary at the moment, no matter whether others there will help or not.

Agreed. Another option would be to call up Valaika and put him on the 60 day. But if the Reds need to start cutting guys, Costanzo shouldn't be the first to go IMO. Jordan Smith would be my choice.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Agree.

Chip R
06-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

CrackerJack
06-15-2012, 11:33 PM
The Horror.AVI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ&feature=player_embedded)
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

mth123
06-16-2012, 03:25 AM
This season, IMO, is the first year where Stubbs actual performance on defense in CF actually matched all the hype we've heard about him. Stubbs has always been awe inspiring going gap to gap, but seemed to miss a lot of plays that should have been made going back and especially coming in on the ball. He seems to be making those plays now (but still pulls up and plays catchable balls on the bounce on occassion).

Offensively, Stubbs is purely a lefty killer on a team filled with them. Harris isn't really my cup of tea but, from a team need standpoint, may actually be an upgrade to Stubbs. I'd rather have David Dejesus, Will Venable or some other OF who can hit against RHP, but hopefully Harris can add some on base ability against RHP while keeping the seat warm.

kaldaniels
06-16-2012, 08:19 AM

My remark was made in jest. Of course I'd just slide someone over to the 60 Day if possible.

camisadelgolf
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
According to a tweet from Tom Groeschen, Stubbs signed a consent form to rehab in Dayton, and it's likely that the Reds will follow through on that.

DGullett35
06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Isn't Stubby supposed to be back this weekend vs. the Twins?

Reds Fanatic
06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Isn't Stubby supposed to be back this weekend vs. the Twins?

He is eligible to come off the DL on Friday but I think they are going to handle him the same way they handled Rolen coming off the DL. I think they will have him rehab for a few games and then probably return early next week I would think for the Brewers series.