PDA

View Full Version : RA reminds me of Bob Purkey

WVRedsFan
06-19-2012, 02:10 AM
For you old folks, just watched the replay of Dickey's second one-hitter. He reminds me of 1960's Reds star Bob Purkey. Power knuckleballer. Purkey won 23 in 1962. Dickey. Is similar.

RedlegJake
06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes he is. And since he is so different from most other pitchers he gets the same mixed bag of raves and disses all at the same time just like Purkey used to. When he's going good everyone will be on his bandwagon but when he hits a rough patch they'll all start saying how they knew his stuff wouldn't last....

WVRedsFan
06-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes he is. And since he is so different from most other pitchers he gets the same mixed bag of raves and disses all at the same time just like Purkey used to. When he's going good everyone will be on his bandwagon but when he hits a rough patch they'll all start saying how they knew his stuff wouldn't last....
Remember it well. In 1961, my father used to say Purkey was never going to contribute anything for the Reds and help them win the pennant. He won 16 games and pitched a wonderful game in the Series, but Dad wanted him traded. In 1962, he won 23 games and all of a sudden he was the best pitcher on the staff according to my father. Knuckleballers can't win.