PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/19

chicoruiz
06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Reds:

Devin Mesoraco (24) -His high school team was called the Punxsatawney Chucks.

Bruce Chen (35) -A Red in 2002...I forgot he was actually Panamanian.

Jerry Reuss (63) -1987 was his Reds year...Another player who appeared in four decades...Second pitcher (after Milt Pappas) to win 200 without having a 20-win season...In 1980 he pitched a no-hitter, losing a perfect game only due to a Bill Russell throwing error...In '82, pitching against the Reds, he gave up a single to the first batter, Eddie Milner, then retired the next 27 in order.

Others:

Bob Aspromonte (74) -Made his big league debut at age 18 for his hometown Brooklyn Dodgers...Eventually became the last active player to have been a Brooklyn Dodger, as well as the last active player to have been a Houston Colt '45...

Lou Gehrig -Everybody knows about Lou, so instead of a comment I thought I'd reprint the poem by John Kiernan that was inscribed on the trophy given to him on Lou Gehrig Day. It's one of my favorites:

To LOU GEHRIG

We've been to the wars together;
We took our foes as they came;
And always you were the leader,
And ever you played the game.
Idol of cheering millions,
Records are yours by sheaves;
Iron of frame they hailed you
Decked you with laurel leaves.
But higher than that we hold you,
We who have known you best;
Knowing the way you came through
Every human test.
Let this be a silent token
Of lasting Friendship's gleam,
And all that we've left unspoken;
--Your Pals of the Yankees Team.

Eddie Cicotte -After the Black Sox scandal broke, Eddie was forced to live under an assumed name to avoid harassment. He worked for Ford for a while then had a strawberry farm...He always said that he'd done a bad thing, but that he'd tried to live his life since then in a way that would make up for it.

oneupper
06-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Unless it was someone else, I remember reading that Reuss was a multi-millionaire from his family BEFORE becoming a ballplayer.
Salaries weren't that high back then of course, so you knew he wasn't in it for the money.

cumberlandreds
06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Unless it was someone else, I remember reading that Reuss was a multi-millionaire from his family BEFORE becoming a ballplayer.
Salaries weren't that high back then of course, so you knew he wasn't in it for the money.

I just recently read Leo Durochers book Nice Guys Finish Last and IIRC he said Reuss was from a rich family. Durcoher couldn't stand him either or most any of the "modern" players he managed in the early 1970's.

Bob Borkowski
06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Devin Mesoraco (24) -His high school team was called the Punxsatawney Chucks.

Excellent. :)

marcshoe
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I thought everyone from Punxsatawney was born on February 2.