PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday 6/20/2012 Minor-League Updates

mace
06-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Those wacky, rampaging Bats win again, 5-3, in spite of their 1-2-4 hitters going 0-15 and Scranton WB home runs from Russell Branyan and Jack Cust. Felix Perez was 3-3 with a couple doubles. Jordan Smith seems to be getting on a little roll as the closer.

JaxRed
06-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Tough open for the Az Reds. First minor league game ever, and they have to put up with that long bus ride to Cleveland's stadium. :D

mace
06-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Opening night lineup for AZL Reds:

Ty Washington 2B (bit of a surprise there)
Brent Peterson SS
Tanner Rahier 3B (that didn't take long)
Brayan Arias LF
Avain Rachal DH
Jonathan Reynoso RF
Argenis Aldazoro 1B
Julio Morillo C
Elliott Hargreaves CF

Pedro Diaz P

mace
06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Diaz, 19 and a righthander, pitched strictly in relief last year for the DSL Reds: 34.1 IP, 25 H, 18 BBm, 29 K, 2.36 ERA.

mace
06-20-2012, 10:17 PM
O'Rear went 3 innings for Billings: 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 0 K.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I had thought Rachal was signed as a pitcher, but he's DHing tonight for the AZ Reds. They and the Mustangs are starting out offensively like they'll fit perfectly with the rest of the system. :D

mace
06-20-2012, 10:48 PM
You're right, he was listed as a RH pitcher (out of a Texas high school). Interesting.

Yeah, the two rookie league teams both trail 2-0, and neither has a hit (although it's only been two innings for the AZL Reds).

mace
06-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Well now. Billings breaks through with 4 in the fifth; no matter that only two were earned. Big hit was a double by Sammy Diaz.

Guillon has followed O'Rear with (so far) two innings of one-run relief. Has struck out three and, most important (for him), not walked anyone.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Ha! Musta pissed the Billing boys off. They put up a four spot in the bottom of the 5th.

Billings Bottom of the 5th
Pitcher Change: Patrick Smith replaces Andrew Barbosa.
Spencer Dickinson singleson a line drive to right fielder Justin Bianco.
Taylor Wrenn walks Spencer Dickinson to 2nd.
Fray Sosa out on a sacrifice bunt to first baseman Tyler Bream. Spencer Dickinson to 3rd. Taylor Wrenn to 2nd.
Brandon Dailey reaches on fielding error by shortstop Pedro Ruiz. Spencer Dickinson scores. Taylor Wrenn to 3rd.
Jon Matthews walks. Brandon Dailey to 2nd.
Sammy Diaz doubles (1) on a ground ball to right fielder Justin Bianco. Taylor Wrenn scores. Brandon Dailey scores. Jon Matthews to 3rd.
Jesse Winker out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Breland Almadova. Jon Matthews scores.
Carlos Sanchez strikes out swinging.

texasdave
06-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Billings was no-hit through for by Andrew Barbosa - a 36th round draft choice. He walked three and struck out six. Not bad for a 36th-rounder.

mace
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
It's contagious! The AZL boys put up 6 in the third.

Edit: And before I can add to that, and note Tanner Rahier's first professional HR--not bad for a kid playing his first game just out of high school--corked gets on the board with the inning summary (below).

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
and the AZ boys answer with a six-run 3rd. Big blow - Rahier's first dinger. Maybe I should talk trash more often.

AZL Reds Top of the 3rd
Julio Morillo singles on a ground ball to shortstop Dorssys Paulino.
Elliott Hargreaves grounds into a force out, shortstop Dorssys Paulino to second baseman Yhoxian Medina. Julio Morillo out at 2nd. Elliott Hargreaves to 1st.
With Ty Washington batting, Elliott Hargreaves steals (1) 2nd base.
Ty Washington singles on a line drive to center fielder Andrew Campbell. Elliott Hargreaves scores. Ty Washington to 2nd on the throw.
With Brent Peterson batting, wild pitch by Dillon Howard, Ty Washington to 3rd.
Brent Peterson singles on a line drive to center fielder Andrew Campbell. Ty Washington scores.
With Tanner Rahier batting, throwing error by Dillon Howard on the pickoff attempt, Brent Peterson to 2nd.
Tanner Rahier homers (1) on a fly ball to center field. Brent Peterson scores.
Brayan Arias flies out to right fielder Victor De Jesus.
Avain Rachal walks.
Jonathan Reynoso hit by pitch. Avain Rachal to 2nd.
Argenis Aldazoro reaches on fielding error by shortstop Dorssys Paulino. Avain Rachal scores. Jonathan Reynoso scores. Argenis Aldazoro to 2nd.
Julio Morillo flies out to center fielder Andrew Campbell.

texasdave
06-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Billings got their four runs on two hits.
AZL Reds got their six runs on four hits.

Anything can happen in rookie ball.

mace
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Guillon gave up two more in his third inning, and Billings is tied 4-4 in the sixth.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Not to make too much of it, but I love seeing a kid like Rahier get off to a good start early

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Not to make too much of it, but I love seeing a kid like Rahier get off to a good start early

mace
06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Wandy Peralta is now pitching for the AZL Reds. I don't believe he was on the roster when it was published earlier today.

texasdave
06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Wandy Peralta is the first man out of the pen for the AZL Reds. One perfect inning so far. Reds still lead 6-2.

mace
06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Guillon went 4 innings for Billings. Five strikeouts and one walk. It's still 4-4.

texasdave
06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Alejandro Chacin on the mound now for the Mustangs. Through seven Billings still has only those two hits.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:37 PM
AZ Reds with two more on the board. Both cam off a HR by Argentis Aldazora (listed as a 6-2/160 OF). 8-2 Reds

AZL Reds Top of the 6th

Pitcher Change: Juan Santana replaces Breily Puerta.
Jonathan Reynoso doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Anthony Santander.
Argenis Aldazoro homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Jonathan Reynoso scores.
Julio Morillo grounds out, third baseman Jorge Martinez to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Elliott Hargreaves grounds out, third baseman Jorge Martinez to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Ty Washington called out on strikes.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM
AZ Reds with two more on the board. Both cam off a HR by Argentis Aldazora. 8-2 Reds

AZL Reds Top of the 6th

Pitcher Change: Juan Santana replaces Breily Puerta.
Jonathan Reynoso doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Anthony Santander.
Argenis Aldazoro homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Jonathan Reynoso scores.
Julio Morillo grounds out, third baseman Jorge Martinez to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Elliott Hargreaves grounds out, third baseman Jorge Martinez to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Ty Washington called out on strikes.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Chacin gives up a 2-run dinger in the top of the 8th. Mizzoula now leads 6-4.

corkedbat
06-20-2012, 11:48 PM
The AZ Indians strike back with a 3-run HR off Wandy Pralta in the bottom of the 6th. Now 8-4 AZ Reds.

texasdave
06-21-2012, 12:06 AM
AZL Reds get one back in the top of the 7th. Peterson walks and steals second. Tanner Rahier brings him home with a line drive single. That makes it a 9-4 game in the home half of the 7th.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Rahier singles in Brent Peterson as the Reds play add-onin the 7th. 9-4 Reds.

Peterson and Rahier each had steals in the 7th (the 2nd of the game for Peterson).

AZL Reds Top of the 7th
Brent Peterson walks.
With Tanner Rahier batting, Brent Peterson steals (2) 2nd base.
Tanner Rahier singles on a line drive to right fielder Victor De Jesus. Brent Peterson scores.
Brayan Arias pops out to second baseman Yhoxian Medina.
With Avain Rachal batting, Tanner Rahier steals (1) 2nd base.
Avain Rachal grounds out, shortstop Dorssys Paulino to first baseman Ryan Battaglia. Tanner Rahier to 3rd.
Jonathan Reynoso flies out to center fielder Andrew Campbell.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Billings comes up huge in the bottom of the 7th and pushes across 4-runs for an 8-6 lead. The big blow was a 3-run HR by Carlos Sanchez. Sean Lucas is on for the ninth to try to nail down the win.

Billings Bottom of the 8th
Pitcher Change: Cody Geyer replaces Justin Thompson.
Sammy Diaz walks.
Jesse Winker reaches on fielding error by second baseman Daniel Pulfer. Sammy Diaz to 3rd.
Carlos Sanchez homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Sammy Diaz scores. Jesse Winker scores.
Gabriel Rosa grounds out, shortstop Pedro Ruiz to first baseman Tyler Bream.
Spencer Dickinson walks.
Taylor Wrenn singles on a fly ball to center fielder Breland Almadova. Spencer Dickinson to 3rd.
Pitcher Change: Chase Stevens replaces Cody Geyer.
Fray Sosa grounds into a force out, shortstop Pedro Ruiz to second baseman Daniel Pulfer. Spencer Dickinson scores. Taylor Wrenn out at 2nd. Fray Sosa to 1st.
Brandon Dailey walks. Fray Sosa to 2nd.
Jon Matthews reaches on fielding error by first baseman Tyler Bream. Fray Sosa to 3rd. Brandon Dailey to 2nd.
Sammy Diaz grounds out, catcher Michael Perez to first baseman Tyler Bream.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Peralta gives up two more runs in the bottom of the 7th and leaves runners on 2nd & 3rd for reliever Michael Salter. Salter K's the first two batters he faces and then gets the 3rd out on a GO.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Lucas K's two batters after a guy reached on an error. Matt Wiley then relieves him and walks a batter before sealing the win with a K.

Chacin with the win and Wiley the save.

After dropping the season opener to Mizzoula, the Stans come back with two-straight wins to take the series. Both wins came in their final ABs.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
Meanwhile, back in Goodyear, Argenis Aldazoro (who homered his last AB) triples to leadoff the top of the 9th. He later scores and they add another. AZ Reds lead 11-6.

AZL Reds Top of the 8th
Pitcher Change: Jeffry Cleto replaces Juan Santana.
Argenis Aldazoro triples (1) on a ground ball to right fielder Victor De Jesus.
Julio Morillo grounds out, shortstop Dorssys Paulino to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Elliott Hargreaves hits a sacrifice fly. Fielding error by center fielder Andrew Campbell. Argenis Aldazoro scores. Elliott Hargreaves to 3rd.
With Ty Washington batting, wild pitch by Jeffry Cleto, Elliott Hargreaves scores.
Ty Washington walks.
With Brent Peterson batting, Ty Washington steals (1) 2nd base.
Brent Peterson grounds out, third baseman Jorge Martinez to first baseman Ryan Battaglia.
Tanner Rahier called out on strikes.

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:50 AM
AZ Indians go down without much noise in the bottom of the eighth as do the Reds in the top of the ninth. On to the bottom of the 9th - Reds 11-6

corkedbat
06-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Richard McCaffrey comes in to pitch a 1-2-3 ninth with a K to end it. AZ Reds opens with an 11-6 win.

1B Argenis Aldazoro - 2-4, 3B, HR, 2 R's 2 RBI's
3B Tanner Rahier - 2-5, HR, R, 3 RBI's, SB
SS Brian Peterson - 1-3, 2 R's, 2 BB's, 2 SB's
RF Jonathan Reynoso - 1-4, 2B, 2 R's
2B Ty Washington - 1-4, R, BB, RBI, SB
CF Elliott Hargreaves - 0-3, 2 R's, RBI, SB

Edd Roush
06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the updates, guys. It is appreciated!

lollipopcurve
06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Redsof72 had mentioned that Pedro Diaz was the best arm in this year's batch of pitchers coming in from the 2011 DSL/VSL teams. Nice to see that he had a solid debut. It says something that he was the opening game starter.

Blitz Dorsey
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm glad they didn't mess around with Rahier at SS if they don't think he'll really be a SS at the MLB level. We have a good SS in Cozart who's going to be around for 8-10 years IMO. Also, our top prospect and one of the top prospects in baseball is a SS. What we don't have is a sure-fire 3B of the future. (I think Frazier can be that guy though.) Not saying Rahier is definitely the 3B of the future, but I loved pick. What a steal in the second round. Many thought he would be a first-rounder at best or a supplemental-rounder at worst.

Benihana
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm glad they didn't mess around with Rahier at SS if they don't think he'll really be a SS at the MLB level. We have a good SS in Cozart who's going to be around for 8-10 years IMO. Also, our top prospect and one of the top prospects in baseball is a SS. What we don't have is a sure-fire 3B of the future. (I think Frazier can be that guy though.) Not saying Rahier is definitely the 3B of the future, but I loved pick. What a steal in the second round. Many thought he would be a first-rounder at best or a supplemental-rounder at worst.

While I don't necessarily agree with your entire post (3B is one of the deepest positions in the organization with Frazier, Rodriguez, Vidal, and Rosa all ahead of Rahier at this point) I do like the idea of picking a future position for a top prospect and sticking to it. That is exactly the opposite of the treatment they gave to Frazier when he was a minor leaguer.

I also think Hamilton's eventual landing place will be CF and not SS, so I don't think we have a true SS prospect in the lower minors. However I also don't believe that SS is Rahier's future either. Maybe we can sign a young stud SS once the international signing period begins next weekend.