PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/21

chicoruiz
06-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Reds:

Jackie Collum -Starter/long reliever in the early 1950s.

Others:

Rick Sutcliffe (56) - Went 16-1, 2.47 in 1984...The first of four consecutive Rookies of the Year for the Dodgers...Faced Barry Bonds 51 times without giving up a homer, the most of any pitcher...Credited with a steal of home (a botched pickoff play was involved).

Charlie Moore (59) -Longtime Milwaukee catcher and occasional outfielder...Wonder how many catchers have more career triples than homers; Charlie does.

Eddie Lopat -Junkballing lefty...One of this listed nicknames is "Eddie The Adequate" which seems a little lukewarm...Once pitched for a team called the Longview Cannibals- I don't want to know how they got that name...Pitched in five consecutive World Series.

Russ Van Atta -Had one of the great debuts in major league history in 1933- pitched a complete game shutout and went 4 for 4 at the plate. It was all downhill from there, though...

Matt Kilroy -If you count pre-1900 seasons, which most don't, the record holder for most strikouts in a season is Matt Kilroy, with 513. He pitched 66 complete games that year.

RedFanAlways1966
06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Charlie Moore (59) -Longtime Milwaukee catcher and occasional outfielder...Wonder how many catchers have more career triples than homers; Charlie does.

Pretty cool stat for Charlie. Makes me wonder how many players (all positions) have this strange stat.

oneupper
06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Pretty cool stat for Charlie. Makes me wonder how many players (all positions) have this strange stat.

I'm sure lots of early 20th century guys. The name the immediately came to my mind was Willie Wilson of the Royals.
And sure enough 147 career triples, 41 HRs. I'll bet a few of those HRs were of the inside-the-park variety also.
(actually 13 were...the internet is a wonderful place).

cumberlandreds
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm sure lots of early 20th century guys. The name the immediately came to my mind was Willie Wilson of the Royals.
And sure enough 147 career triples, 41 HRs. I'll bet a few of those HRs were of the inside-the-park variety also.
(actually 13 were...the internet is a wonderful place).

Rod Carew came to my mind. Looked him up and sure enough he had 112 triples to 92 HR's. Probably quite a few from that era of astro turf and speed.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/C/Pcarer001.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/C/Pcarer001.htm)

RichRed
06-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Vince Coleman: 89 triples, 28 homers.

As an aside, I have no memory whatsoever of Coleman's 33-game stint with the Reds in 1996. His .463 OPS during that stretch might have something to do with that.

RichRed
06-21-2012, 10:27 AM
A couple more from the Whitey Herzog Cardinals era:

Willie McGee: 94 triples, 79 HR

Tom Herr: 41 triples, 28 HR

chicoruiz
06-21-2012, 10:42 AM
As far as catchers go, I found another one: John Wathan. 25/21...not really all that many of either for a guy who had a long career.

brad1176
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's a funny story about Sutcliffe told by Mark Grace, I cleaned it up a bit concerning the language:

One day Rick Sutcliffe gave up back-to-back home runs in Cincinnati. And in Cincinnati, they shoot off fireworks after a Red hits a home run. And Sutcliffe was pretty intense on the day he pitched. So Eric Davis takes him deep and Paul O'Neill takes him deep right after that. So Sutcliffe is all ticked off, and Billy Connors comes out to the mound and Sutcliffe yells at him, "I know I gave up ------- back-to-back home runs and get your ------- butt back in the dugout and tell Zimmer to ------- settle down there, too."

Billy looks at him and says, "I know you have everything under control, Rick. I just wanted to give that guy running the fireworks a little time to reload." I blew a snot bubble on the mound I was laughing so hard.

CarolinaRedleg
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
The Ozzies (Smith and Guillen) both finished with 69 triples and 28 HRs. Only one loves Fidel Castro, though.

Big Klu
06-21-2012, 01:45 PM
The Ozzies (Smith and Guillen) both finished with 69 triples and 28 HRs. Only one loves Fidel Castro, though.

And neither loved Harriet.

RichRed
06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
The late Reds second baseman, Johnny Temple, had 36 triples and 22 HR over a 13-year career.

Another former Red, Don Blasingame, had 62 triples and 21 HR over a 12-year career.

Big Klu
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
As far as catchers go, I found another one: John Wathan. 25/21...not really all that many of either for a guy who had a long career.

Twice he had more stolen bases than that in a season. In 1982, Wathan was sixth in the AL with 36 SB's. In 1983 he followed that up with 28 steals. (80% success rate both seasons.) Forget the "runs well for a catcher" rhetoric--this guy had legitimate base-stealing speed!

Bob Borkowski
06-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Rick Sutcliffe (56) - The first of four consecutive Rookies of the Year for the Dodgers.

That was in 1979. The others were: Steve Howe, Fernando Valenzuela and Steve Sax.