PDA

View Full Version : Bray activated, Hoover optioned to Louisville

Danny Serafini
06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Just posted by Fay

Redsfan320
06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Would rather have seen LeCure sent down, but thrilled that Bray's back regardless.

chicoruiz
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I hope this means that Hoover is going to be stretched out to starter's innings...We're a little thin on the ground in case of an injury in the rotation.

Vottomatic
06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
I hope this means that Hoover is going to be stretched out to starter's innings...We're a little thin on the ground in case of an injury in the rotation.

Exactly what I was going to post. I think they need to work Hoover as a starter for various reasons. Injury. Or if we have to trade Leake or Bailey at the trade deadline for offensive help.

reds1869
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
I also hope Hoover is stretched out to start. Glad to see Bray back, hopefully he can be sharp right away.

oregonred
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Can you change the title to Hoover swept away to Louisville?

oneupper
06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Zero lefties in the rotation and now three in the pen. Weird.

hebroncougar
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
With Bray's history, I have no doubt he'll be on the DL again by the end of the month. I don't know if it's bad luck or what.

WVRedsFan
06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
With Bray's history, I have no doubt he'll be on the DL again by the end of the month. I don't know if it's bad luck or what.The jinx of "The Trade?"

Tony Cloninger
06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Would rather have seen LeCure sent down, but thrilled that Bray's back regardless.

Wait...what?

camisadelgolf
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I think Ondrusek was more deserving. And I hate to be a jerk about it, but if you keep him down there long enough, you don't have to worry about an arbitration raise. He's the only person in the bullpen with mediocre peripherals. This is coming from someone whose favorite player is Ondrusek, too.

Kc61
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
I think Ondrusek was more deserving. And I hate to be a jerk about it, but if you keep him down there long enough, you don't have to worry about an arbitration raise. He's the only person in the bullpen with mediocre peripherals. This is coming from someone whose favorite player is Ondrusek, too.

Ondrusek has now had a long rest. I think the Reds will watch him, but as a veteran they'll give him more of a chance.

Hoover has to learn to avoid all the fly balls if he's going to stay a Red. He has a good K rate, but he is an extreme fly ball pitcher. Not a good fit for GABP. I'm sure they will work with him to neutralize that tendency if possible.

klw
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Well with a tight game tonight I doubt we see Bray. We'll see Dusty save him for a low leverage time to use him for the first time in a while.

Tom Servo
06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Does anybody have the statistics on Bray's effectiveness with inherited runners? I feel like he always let's them score but it could just be perception.

klw
06-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Does anybody have the statistics on Bray's effectiveness with inherited runners? I feel like he always let's them score but it could just be perception.

His career percentage is 27%

Scroll down to reliever stats.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/braybi01-pitch.shtml

CrackerJack
06-23-2012, 01:23 AM
Well with a tight game tonight I doubt we see Bray. We'll see Dusty save him for a low leverage time to use him for the first time in a while.

And of course the complete opposite happened.

And they lost their 4th in a row to a terrible team at home.

klw
06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
And of course the complete opposite happened.

And they lost their 4th in a row to a terrible team at home.

I was being snarky, I posted about using him a low leverage situation about 5 minutes after the walk.

mth123
06-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I think now is the time to flip Hoover for what this team needs. He's young, cheap and some team may view him as a future closer. I think his fly ball act may be an issue in GABP. I'd deal him while he's coming off of making a good impression. This team doesn't have many young, desireable major league ready guys that they can spare, but that is usually what the trade market requires in mid-season buyer/seller deals. I'd rather deal Ondrusek, but if the team can address a weakness by dealing Hoover, by all means do it. Hoover for Dejesus? I'd do it right now.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm worried about our starting pitching getting worn down. I think they should start stretching Hoover out as a starter in Louisville. He spent most of his time starting in the Braves organization. I think they might need to give Cueto, Leake, and Bailey a break pretty soon. Not permanently, but simply to refresh themselves heading down the stretch.

They might even mix in Redmond and see if he can give a quality start or not.

Again, not permanently. Just a few times to refresh the arms.

dougdirt
08-02-2012, 07:52 PM
The Reds have other options if they just want to rest some guys. Villarreal, Corcino or Redmond could all fill that role.

Vottomatic
08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
The Reds have other options if they just want to rest some guys. Villarreal, Corcino or Redmond could all fill that role.

Meh. Hoover would be their best option if they'd just get him back to starting.

Hoover arrived in the minors in 2008. In 5 seasons in the minors, his e.r.a. has never topped more than 3.48 in any season. He has 61 starts and 59 relief appearances (21 of them this year at Louisville). He has been to the majors, and wouldn't be as nervous as the 3 you mentioned. Corcino is not on the 40-man according to the Reds website. Villarreal's numbers don't impress me at all.

I said on another thread I wouldn't mind Redmond coming up to do a spot start or two, to give Cueto, Leake, and Bailey a chance to rest their arms for a brief stint. But I'd like to have 2 real options. Not Corcino or Villarreal.

Redmond and they should get Hoover ready too. If he had to go back to the bullpen, it's easier going back to it then going back to starting.

Francis is gone. Brackman is gone. Tomko is gone. I think they'd be better off prepared to have some experience ready. The rotation has been fortunate not to have anyone go down yet.