PDA

View Full Version : Chris Perez: Older Cardinal pitchers doctored the baseball

dougdirt
06-22-2012, 07:50 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/11069882?widget=true

In an interview with SiriusXM Sports, Perez mentioned that during his time with the Cardinals, older pitchers on the club would use pine tar, sunscreen, and their own concoctions to doctor the baseball.

westofyou
06-22-2012, 07:54 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/11069882?widget=true

In an interview with SiriusXM Sports, Perez mentioned that during his time with the Cardinals, older pitchers on the club would use pine tar, sunscreen, and their own concoctions to doctor the baseball.

Oldest trick in the game, every team does it. Every team has their expert/pitching sage. Every Reds team that made it had a guy that did this stuff

I love it myself, gives the game character

kaldaniels
06-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Personally I suspect Arroyo and Leake do it for starters.

No big deal just my hunch.

dsmith421
06-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Personally I suspect Arroyo and Leake do it for starters.

No big deal just my hunch.

I suspect the same. Please teach Latos posthaste.

06-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Duncan teaches his pitchers to throw ground balls. Guys with minimal success come over to St.L and suddenly throw groundball after groundball.

That Dave Duncan sure is a genius pitching coach. I wonder what his secret is? :evil:

marcshoe
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I've heard Marty say a Reds player has a little pop in his bat. That has to be illegal, too.

dougdirt
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I've heard Marty say a Reds player has a little pop in his bat. That has to be illegal, too.

I scoured the rule book. There is nothing about pop, cola or soda listed in the rule book.

AtomicDumpling
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I scoured the rule book. There is nothing about pop, cola or soda listed in the rule book.

Even Cork-a-cola?

dougdirt
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Even Cork-a-cola?

I was able to find a rule on viewing the Snorks during a game, but nothing on cork-a-cola :laugh:

corkedbat
06-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Duncan teaches his pitchers to throw ground balls. Guys with minimal success come over to St.L and suddenly throw groundball after groundball.

That Dave Duncan sure is a genius pitching coach. I wonder what his secret is? :evil:

Brylcream - a little dab'll do ya

Phhhl
06-23-2012, 03:11 AM
It always seems to be portrayed as "old school" when the Cardinal organization is involved in cheating. But, when does it start to become part of their "culture"?

mth123
06-23-2012, 04:24 AM
It always seems to be portrayed as "old school" when the Cardinal organization is involved in cheating. But, when does it start to become part of their "culture"?

It's part of everybody's culture. Some teams are just better at it.

traderumor
06-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Chris Perez seems to like drawing attention to himself. My guess is if he were a fan, he'd be a traveling Detroit fan in a Tigger suit.

Caseyfan21
06-23-2012, 09:25 AM
I have no doubt this is probably true. I went to a game in September 2006 when St. Louis was playing Arizona in Phoenix. We were sitting above the Cardinals bullpen and after the game was over one of the Cardinals relief pitchers threw up one of the bullpen balls to me. It was a game ball (was rubbed up - not a BP ball) and the thing was just coated in pine tar. All over. I was pretty surprised they were using a doctored baseball to warm up before going into the game. Seeing a ball covered in pine tar guys are screwing around with in BP is one thing but it was surprising/strange to see that was the ball they were using to warm up before going in the game.

Big Klu
06-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Crisco...Bardahl...Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball. 'Course if the umps are watching me real close I just rub a little jalapeņo juice up my nose, get it runnin', and if I need to load the ball up I just...wipe my nose.

http://www.clevescene.com/binary/3e5a/1248794884-harris.jpg

LoganBuck
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Once again Steve Kline