PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/24

chicoruiz
06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Reds:

Juan Francisco (25) -The Braves discovered what we already knew: he's not an everyday player. Still has the second-longest home run in GABP history.

Jason Romano (33) -Utility IF who played briefly for the Reds in 2004-05. Now a player agent.

Rollie Hemsley -Catcher of the 1930s who had a few all-star years and another few years as backup to some really good catchers: Hartnett, Dickey, and with the Reds, Lombardi...Served as Bob Feller's personal catcher for a while with the Indians; when Feller threw his opening day no-hitter, Rollie caught it and drove in the only run... Known as "Rollicking Rollie" in his younger days for his love of the party scene, he reformed in his later years and became the first nationally known individual to go public as a member of AA.

Others:

Doug Jones (55) -A fun guy to watch; despite a "fastball" that topped out in the low 80s he had a long successful career by changing speeds, hitting his spots and being smarter than the batters he was facing.

Ken Reitz (61) -Slick-fielding 3B with the Cards. One of the slowest runners in the league; he always hit well in April but by mid-season he was hitting into a ton of DPs.

Billy Nash -Apparently he was a terrific 3B in the 19th century, but he's pretty much forgotten now. He did cement a minor place in baseball history by being the guy who signed Nap Lajoie to a Cleveland contract.

oneupper
06-24-2012, 11:11 AM
I remember watching when Romano blew out his hammy, while with Cincy. Painful.

Bob Borkowski
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Rollie Hemsley -Catcher of the 1930s who had a few all-star years and another few years as backup to some really good catchers: Hartnett, Dickey, and with the Reds, Lombardi...Served as Bob Feller's personal catcher for a while with the Indians; when Feller threw his opening day no-hitter, Rollie caught it and drove in the only run... Known as "Rollicking Rollie" in his younger days for his love of the party scene, he reformed in his later years and became the first nationally known individual to go public as a member of AA.

My dad bought a 'Rollie Hemsley' catcher's mitt (on sale because it was shopworn') for my brother and me when I was about 10. Hey, I had never heard of the guy. Good catcher's mitt though. :)

I've been away for a few days, guys. Miss me? :wave: