PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik?

Dru4u73
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
He is mentioned on MLB trade rumors as beings a possible trade target for the Reds. Not to say the Reds are even going after him, but would you like to see him at lead off. I think he would help out alot.

5TimeWSChamps
06-24-2012, 08:17 PM
I wanted to sign him before last year

mroby85
06-24-2012, 08:25 PM
I wanted to sign him before last year

Today made me wish they would've gone after Willingham lol.

Ironman92
06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Not sure why....but in limited play he's having a very good season at age 36.....stole 70 bases several years back....but Hamilton could steal 70 in 4 months up here....and you'll see I'm right when he's brought up in 2016.

EMAW
06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Currently on 15 Day DL

strasserki
06-25-2012, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him. We definitely could use some left handed at-bat talent. However, despite Hamilton's age, the Reds are desperate enough to bring him up this year. I can easily see the Reds bringing up Hamilton early August.

Wonderful Monds
06-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Not sure why....but in limited play he's having a very good season at age 36.....stole 70 bases several years back....but Hamilton could steal 70 in 4 months up here....and you'll see I'm right when he's brought up in 2016.
.400+ BABIP. He's getting really lucky. He's actually probably closer to being completely done than he is ready to help us in any way. No thanks.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
.400+ BABIP. He's getting really lucky. He's actually probably closer to being completely done than he is ready to help us in any way. No thanks.

BABIP.....what's Stubbs?

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us get him. We definitely could use some left handed at-bat talent. However, despite Hamilton's age, the Reds are desperate enough to bring him up this year. I can easily see the Reds bringing up Hamilton early August.

Strongly, strongly, strongly disagree.

He's not even in AA yet.

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
BABIP.....what's Stubbs?

.297 on the year, which is a little below average in general and well below average for a guy with Stubbs' wheels. I'd normally expect him around .330 - .340, even in a tough year otherwise. Posdenik I would expect in the .320 - .330 BABIP range.

So Stubbs may improve some. Posednik likely will regress some.

strasserki
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Strongly, strongly, strongly disagree.

He's not even in AA yet.

I can easily see the Reds wanting to give him a chance this season. We have been continuously struggling for a leadoff hitter and the way Billy Hamilton is playing, can easily be promoted to AAA sooner than you think. Hamilton is also a switch hitter, which could make Hamilton an easy replacement for Negron on the bench late this season.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
I think Stubbs BABIP is low also due to he's hitting a lot not to whiff....ND hitting early count 1 and 2 hoppers to SS and 3B....fortunately for him he's beat about 10 or so of them out.

I'd like to see a BALD (batting average on line drives)....to me that would even out far more predictably than just making contact.

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
I can easily see the Reds wanting to give him a chance this season. We have been continuously struggling for a leadoff hitter and the way Billy Hamilton is playing, can easily be promoted to AAA sooner than you think. Hamilton is also a switch hitter, which could make Hamilton an easy replacement for Negron on the bench late this season.

You might be right, but I hope you are wrong. His numbers are staggering, no doubt, but after watching him in Dayton last year and Spring Training this year, I think he would benefit from another year or two of growth, even physically.

Can't wait til he arrives, but I really don't want to rush it. Especially someone with a delicate tool set like Hamilton's. It's gonna be fun to watch whenever it happens, though! :beerme:

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I think Stubbs BABIP is low also due to he's hitting a lot not to whiff....ND hitting early count 1 and 2 hoppers to SS and 3B....fortunately for him he's beat about 10 or so of them out.

I'd like to see a BALD (batting average on line drives)....to me that would even out far more predictably than just making contact.

Hey man - Wanted to react to your first statement there, but could you clarify that for me? Are you saying his BABIP is low because he's trying to pitch to contact and not to strikeout?

Regarding his line drive numbers, I don't have a BALD metric, but he's at 16.5 LD% where his career average is about 18%. Where the biggest difference is is in his ground ball percentage, which is about 55% where it's usually about 47%. League average is about 45% most years, so he's grounding out a lot which certainly would be an anchor on his BABIP. At the same time, he's hitting fewer fly balls, even though more of them (as a percentage of the number he hits) are turning into homeruns.

P.E.R#14
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
You might be right, but I hope you are wrong. His numbers are staggering, no doubt, but after watching him in Dayton last year and Spring Training this year, I think he would benefit from another year or two of growth, even physically.

Can't wait til he arrives, but I really don't want to rush it. Especially someone with a delicate tool set like Hamilton's. It's gonna be fun to watch whenever it happens, though! :beerme:

Took the words out of my mouth. Or words out of my fingers??? Whatever. :thumbup:

strasserki
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM

Honestly, I also hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't like to see such a great talent go to waste. If we were to bring him up now, he would feel overwhelmed because he wasn't formally prepared.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Hey man - Wanted to react to your first statement there, but could you clarify that for me? Are you saying his BABIP is low because he's trying to pitch to contact and not to strikeout?

Regarding his line drive numbers, I don't have a BALD metric, but he's at 16.5 LD% where his career average is about 18%. Where the biggest difference is is in his ground ball percentage, which is about 55% where it's usually about 47%. League average is about 45% most years, so he's grounding out a lot which certainly would be an anchor on his BABIP. At the same time, he's hitting fewer fly balls, even though more of them (as a percentage of the number he hits) are turning into homeruns.

Lol....I think

To me it seems last year he was either striking out or hitting the ball pretty hard somewhere.....the more often the balls in play are hit hard....the higher that average will likely be.

This year it seems as if he's swinging shorter for contact to avoid whiffing and many of those balls are weakly hit to the left side....but he's saved himself some by being so fast...beating out 10-12 of those....or he might be under .200

Larkin88
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Lol....I think

To me it seems last year he was either striking out or hitting the ball pretty hard somewhere.....the more often the balls in play are hit hard....the higher that average will likely be.

This year it seems as if he's swinging shorter for contact to avoid whiffing and many of those balls are weakly hit to the left side....but he's saved himself some by being so fast...beating out 10-12 of those....or he might be under .200

Well then I'd say I think the numbers support your position there. :)

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Whew! Lol

Tuff Nut
06-25-2012, 06:08 PM
When the rosters get expanded, and hopefully the Reds are still in the race, I could see a scenario where Hamilton could be quite useful, if not much more than a pinch-runner. Talk about getting into scoring postion..sheesh..2 pitches he could be a WP away from scoring. Sounds to logical for it to happen though.
This way the kid gets his feet wet, at the MLB level,and possibly get in some garbage time, in the field.

Wonderful Monds
06-25-2012, 06:10 PM

That's sort of what xBABIP is, at least, it's what your BABIP should be based on your LD%.

Wonderful Monds
06-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Honestly, I also hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't like to see such a great talent go to waste. If we were to bring him up now, he would feel overwhelmed because he wasn't formally prepared.
The Reds have long taken a conservative approach to calling up prospects for awhile now. They probably won't call him up until they're fully convinced he's ready

brm7675
06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I would bring up Hamilton, tell he is only going to be used as a Pinch runner and see what happens..

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I would bring up Hamilton, tell he is only going to be used as a Pinch runner and see what happens..

Dusty would pinch run him for Stubbs.

5TimeWSChamps
06-25-2012, 08:39 PM

So you stunt his growth?

Not sure if I agree with that. He still needs to find a position he's going to play at, and needs to build his strength if he's going to consistently hit ML pitching.

Look at Dee Gordon

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 09:09 PM
So you stunt his growth?

Not sure if I agree with that. He still needs to find a position he's going to play at, and needs to build his strength if he's going to consistently hit ML pitching.

Look at Dee Gordon

It's organization first.....Gordon has struggled defensively but has also made some of the rangiest plays ever seen....his OPS is in the .500's....but he's also blazing the base paths and leading off every day for the 1st place Dodgers.

The Reds have done well to stunt Stubbs and Bruce's growth while in the majors.

5TimeWSChamps
06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
It's organization first.....Gordon has struggled defensively but has also made some of the rangiest plays ever seen....his OPS is in the .500's....but he's also blazing the base paths and leading off every day for the 1st place Dodgers.

The Reds have done well to stunt Stubbs and Bruce's growth while in the majors.

And Gordon even has a position. No one actually knows where BHam is going to play for the Reds. And if his future is CF, then he needs to be playing there every day.

Ironman92
06-25-2012, 10:52 PM
To me Cozart is more of a long term lock at SS than Stubbs is in CF....maybe not

5TimeWSChamps
06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
To me Cozart is more of a long term lock at SS than Stubbs is in CF....maybe not

Oh absolutely.

Larkin88
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Agreed. I don't think Cozart's going anywhere.