PDA

View Full Version : Random Statistical inklings

Hoosier Red
06-25-2012, 09:48 PM
My random thoughts are nowhere near as interesting as BCubb's but I had to inklings I was hoping to get some direction on.

1) Brandon Phillips "sacrifice" bunt reminded me of something I've been wondering about. In situations where the batter is hoping to "get the ball to the right side" what's the average of the hitter who actually achieves that? In other words how many hits on average is a hitter giving up by actively trying to put the ball in play on the right side of the field? Could a similar success rate work for a batter deciding to "sacrifice" bunt with a drag bunt? In other words just make sure you get the bunt down, but don't truly sacrifice yourself but try to bunt for a base hit?

2) Listening to a friend describe his frustration with Pedro Alvarez I was reminded of so many of the Reds' .250 hitters who just seem to be so streaky. I was wondering if in fact .250 hitters are in fact more prone to streakiness one way or another than .333 hitters. Obviously a .333 hitter is more consistent on average, but do .333 hitters have the same variation above and below the .333 average as .250 hitters do?

Anyway, if anyone can give me some guidance that would help me find the complicated answers to unnecessary questions I'd appreciate it.

jojo
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
A .333 hitter gets more hits on average than a .250 hitter. That doesn't mean he is less streaky.

Btw, I think some good antibiotics can take care of random statistical inklings....

Hoosier Red
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
A .333 hitter gets more hits on average than a .250 hitter. That doesn't mean he is less streaky.

Btw, I think some good antibiotics can take care of random statistical inklings....

I agree, as I said it may be more perception than reality. But I'd love to figure out if the "average" .333 hitters are less streaky than the average .250 hitters or if it's just completely in my head.

klw
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Joey Votto is 2 for his last 16. Slumps hit even the .350 hitters and I think he was on some sort of hot streak before that but I would need to go check to make sure.;)