PDA

View Full Version : Price gouging in MLB

WildcatFan
06-26-2012, 11:05 AM
This is a fascinating piece (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/price-gouging-in-2012/) from the Hardball Times about fees added onto ticket prices. The Cubs are the worst offenders, with an average of $28.56 in fees per four tickets purchased. Couple that with the fact that they are one of the most expensive teams to see in person. I know when I went up for a game last month, I spent over $60 on one of the worst tickets in the stadium.

The team with the lowest fees? Your Cincinnati Reds, with an average of $8.12 in fees per four tickets.

HeatherC1212
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Wow, if we have the lowest fees, which I don't think are all that low, that scares me to think what the other teams are charging for their fees! :eek:

NJReds
06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Cincinnati has very affordable ticket prices in general. I'm coming for the Brewers series in July and I got very good seats all three days for only slightly more than one Yankees game in average seats (not include the $20 parking cost for the Yankees game, either.)

MikeThierry
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
The Reds have had, for the past couple of years, the best value in baseball.

Chip R
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Cincinnati has very affordable ticket prices in general. I'm coming for the Brewers series in July and I got very good seats all three days for only slightly more than one Yankees game in average seats. That doesn't include the $20 parking cost, either.

Good God! $20 for parking? Parking in left field or something?

HeatherC1212
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Um, you can find decent parking spots near the ballpark for $10-12 max....please don't pay $20 for parking anywhere!! :eek:

Agree that the ticket prices are awesome but sometimes those fees really do make it much higher than you originally thought it would be. You can always find a good deal on tickets though and that continues to make me very happy. :)

westofyou
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Good God! $20 for parking? Parking in left field or something?

Park uptown and walk down for F R E E

traderumor
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
$5 to park in Newport and a cool walk across the bridge. Good exercise and view going over, get to walk off the game, good or bad, heading back across. Oh, and getting going up 71 is much more enjoyable than hitting it out of downtown.

Caveat Emperor
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
The government stepped in with the airlines and required all online price advertising for tickets be actual price to the consumer (with various taxes & fees included in the advertised or displayed price) to avoid issues like this.

I'd be very OK with the same thing happening in the sporting / concert ticket industry: Make teams / venues include taxes and fees as part of the face-value of the ticket and display that price to the consumer when they advertise.

You'd see some of this nonsense end, if for no other reason than to avoid sticker-shock up front.

NJReds
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Um, you can find decent parking spots near the ballpark for $10-12 max....please don't pay $20 for parking anywhere!! :eek:

Agree that the ticket prices are awesome but sometimes those fees really do make it much higher than you originally thought it would be. You can always find a good deal on tickets though and that continues to make me very happy. :)

The $20 parking was in the Bronx for the Yankees game. That was a lot that was a few blocks away. It's more expensive near the stadium.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

westofyou
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
The $20 parking was in the Bronx for the Yankees game. That was a lot that was a few blocks away. It's more expensive near the stadium.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

Used to pay guys to "watch" our car in Detroit... Wink, wink

OesterPoster
06-26-2012, 02:37 PM

According to my Dad, you had to do that at Crosley sometimes too.

dabvu2498
06-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Did that at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore too.

RedFanAlways1966
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I was "somewhat happier" with MLB and their ridiculous concession stand prices when I saw $8.19 for a SINGLE hot dog at Kings Island this past weekend in the pool area. Oh wait, it was a jumbo hot dog (and the only hot dog they offered). Perhaps that justifies the price, lol.

westofyou
06-26-2012, 03:14 PM
According to my Dad, you had to do that at Crosley sometimes too.

Yes, my FiL told me the same

MikeThierry
06-26-2012, 03:16 PM
I was "somewhat happier" with MLB and their ridiculous concession stand prices when I saw $8.19 for a SINGLE hot dog at Kings Island this past weekend in the pool area. Oh wait, it was a jumbo hot dog (and the only hot dog they offered). Perhaps that justifies the price, lol.

I bought a fully loaded bacon wrapped hot dog at Busch Stadium for $9. While expensive.... it was amazingly epic. One of those things where you don't mind paying $9 for, sort of like the $5 shake in Pulp Fiction.

MikeThierry
06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
By the way, here is a picture of the bacon wrapped hot dog:

http://3u3d.mlblogs.com/tag/busch-stadium/

Big Klu
06-26-2012, 03:41 PM

My cousin told me that she and her family had to do that at Old Comiskey.