PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/27

chicoruiz
06-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Almost an all-Reds day...

Andy Larkin (38) -Not one of he famous Larkins; this one made 3 appearances on the mound in 2000.

Jim Edmonds (42) -Holds the Cardinal single-season record for HR by an outfielder...His brief tenure in Cincy produced some weird stats: a .281 OBP but a .586 slugging percentage.

Jeff Conine (46) -Was it really only five years since he was a Red? It seems like forever...Only player to play on both Marlins world championship teams...He's competed in Ironman triathlons, and he and his wife are both world class racquetball players.

Danny Breeden (70) 1 for 11 as a Reds third-string catcher in 1969...Later played with his brother Hal for the Cubs.

Eddie Kasko (80) -Bespectacled, unexciting IF for the '61 pennant winners. Led the Reds with seven base hits in the World Series...Later managed Boston, where he did some good work, laying the groundwork for the '75 pennant winners.

Other notes:

There were two major leaguers named "Terwilliger": Wayne and Dick. As far as I can tell, they were not related, but oddly they share a birthday today.

And I had to mention the birthday of 1950s outfielder Gus Zernial, because it gives me a chance to post the most surreal baseball card ever:

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/e516e9ecca090e591ecf4e72f80d548b/l.jpg

Bob Borkowski
06-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Jim Edmonds (42) -Holds the Cardinal single-season record for HR by an outfielder...His brief tenure in Cincy produced some weird stats: a .281 OBP but a .586 slugging percentage.

Sheesh...I had completely blotted the fact that he actually played for the Reds from my memory bank. Now you remind me and so I'll have to start all over and get that done again. Just knowing that he wore a Reds uniform at one time is so darned, well, unsettling.

Big Klu
06-28-2013, 01:08 AM
The only foul ball I've ever gotten in a game was hit by Jeff Conine in 2007, his only season as a Red. It was against the Phillies in the game in which David Ross grounded into a 5-4-3 triple play.

If I ever get another foul ball, I might give it away (the whole "give it to a kid" thing), but this one I kept. It took me 25 years to get it!

gilpdawg
06-28-2013, 04:09 AM
The only foul ball I've ever gotten in a game was hit by Jeff Conine in 2007, his only season as a Red. It was against the Phillies in the game in which David Ross grounded into a 5-4-3 triple play.

If I ever get another foul ball, I might give it away (the whole "give it to a kid" thing), but this one I kept. It took me 25 years to get it!

I was at that game.