PDA

View Full Version : ......And here come the Cardinals!

Vottomatic
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Yikes.

Reds had a chance to bust this open and put away that ailing Cardinal team.

Frustrating.

Brutus
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94611

hebroncougar
06-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Yikes.

Frustrating.

You do know there are about 90 games left right? Kind of hard to put a team away this early.

westofyou
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
You do know there are about 90 games left right? Kind of hard to put a team away this early.

Pesky Angels, Pesky Giants

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about the standings until about August unless teams are more than 7 or more games out. It's such a long season.

oregonred
06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes they should have won a couple more games in the last week, but you have an unrealistic expectation level.

This is an 87-90 win team in its current construct with more good than bad but some obvious flaws that are well documented on the board. This is simply not a team that is going to blow away the league with a 100-win season and continue to play at a .600+ win percentage.

Actually no one in the NL may get to more than 92 or 93 wins the way things look at this point. And I expect each division to be a dog fight and the wild cards to be a complete free-for-all.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
The _ardinals will have a rough patch again this season. They'll get swept by someone again. They won't get endless feasts against the Royals and Marlins for long.

Tom Servo
06-27-2012, 07:40 PM
When exactly was our chance to put them away?

RedlegJake
06-27-2012, 08:20 PM
We're in late June - would you consider a 5,6 or even 7 or 8 game lead at this pint "putting them away"? The Reds aren't putting anyone away in June. Now, some teams might put themselves away playing .300 baseball up until now but that's not what we're talking about here. This is going to be nip and tuck all the way I suspect.

VR
06-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Gotta win 9 out of 10 or I just will not be satisfied.

On a serious note, with so many individual playing WAY over their head in StL.....I think it would be fair that they should be making the comment about not putting the Reds away.

Cueto and Votto are the only guys playing out of their mind....Cards have had ridiculous performance from 7 hitters and 4 starters.....so far.

westofyou
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Stupid 1976 Reds... 6-27 and they haven't put away the Dodgers or the Padres

CIN 44 28 .611 -- 412 276 .675
LAD 40 33 .548 4.5 294 290 .506
SDP 38 34 .528 6.0 296 295 .502
ATL 33 39 .458 11.0 309 309 .500
HOU 32 40 .444 12.0 282 329 .430
SFG 30 45 .400 15.5 281 348 .403

George Anderson
06-27-2012, 08:26 PM

It has to be Sparky and his lineups.

BCubb2003
06-27-2012, 08:32 PM

"Hello, they're the Big Red Machine! Can't you get them into the lineup at the same time?"

kaldaniels
06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Yikes.

Frustrating.

Serious question. What record could the Reds have right now, that would make you feel they have "put away" a team that is 40-35. Bear in mind the best team in baseball currently has 46 wins.

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Oh cynics of RedsZone... I believe he was referring to the point that the Cardinals were dealing with injuries and the Reds didn't open up a larger gap... Not to mention that one has to expect Wainwright to get stronger down the stretch...

But whatever...

kaldaniels
06-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh cynics of RedsZone... I believe he was referring to the point that the Cardinals were dealing with injuries and the Reds didn't open up a larger gap... Not to mention that one has to expect Wainwright to get stronger down the stretch...

But whatever...

Respectfully, do the words that he types not count? "Put away" has a pretty clear meaning.

oregonred
06-27-2012, 09:43 PM

talk about seriously underperforming the pythag of .675... I bet they make up for it in the second half and sweep through the playoffs. I'm calling the Padres a fraud, the 1976 version of the 2012 Pirates :D

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Respectfully, do the words that he types not count? "Put away" has a pretty clear meaning.

I mean, it's a fair assessment and all...

I guess that's the issue with posting on the internet... If I hear that comment in a bar, I can gauge intent and reply accordingly. In text, tone is the first thing that gets lost...

As I'm interpreting with free thought instead of using the dictionary to assess the true meaning of every word written, I took it to mean that the Reds may have missed a golden opportunity to widen the gap versus their most realistic challenge in the Central. However, you're free to deduce his intent on your own volition...

kaldaniels
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
I mean, it's a fair assessment and all...

I guess that's the issue with posting on the internet... If I hear that comment in a bar, I can gauge intent and reply accordingly. In text, tone is the first thing that gets lost...

As I'm interpreting with free thought instead of using the dictionary to assess the true meaning of every word written, I took it to mean that the Reds may have missed a golden opportunity to widen the gap versus their most realistic challenge in the Central. However, you're free to deduce his intent on your own volition...

Feel free to come to my defense anytime. :D

I hear you on the "tone" thing though.

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Feel free to come to my defense anytime. :D

I hear you on the "tone" thing though.

;) not bad for being 7 beers deep... Pretty sure that's how I do my best work...

PuffyPig
06-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Yikes.

Frustrating.

Well, in the middle of April they went up by 5 games on us. Instead of putting us away, they faltered and let us back in.

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, in the middle of April they went up by 5 games on us. Instead of putting us away, they faltered and let us back in.

Or the expected happened...

To anybody gauging the Cardinals before the season, the team looked great on paper. If healthy...

However, anybody banking on a full season of good health from Berkman and Beltran, along with their pitching staff (Carpenter had to be due for a breakdown soon and Wainwright would struggle with control early) staying strong, was in for a rude awakening... The Cardinals just weathered one such storm of injuries and only find themselves a couple of games back...

It's a legit concern.

PuffyPig
06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I find it sad that supposedly Red fans want to complain and find fault that we are only in first place by 2 games.

Enjoy what we have.

You'll like it much better.

BTW, the Cards pigpen blows another one, as the Cards remain 2 games back.

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I find it sad that supposedly Red fans want to complain and find fault that we are only in first place by 2 games.

Enjoy what we have.

You'll like it much better.

BTW, the Cards pigpen blows another one, as the Cards remain 2 games back.

It's a fair assessment... If the Reds had Votto or Phillips on the DL at some point this season along with one of their top 2 pitchers, I'd be pretty happy to see them only 2 games back right now...

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 11:03 PM

I think it's a legit point though. Before the Cards went on this mini run, they had the 4th worst record dating back to May. The Reds remind me of the Cards of the first month. They had a good record but wasted some chances to pull ahead of the Reds even more that month. I think the same thing could be said for the Reds. The Cards were playing about as bad as any team could play including several sweeps against them in that time frame.

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
It's a fair assessment... If the Reds had Votto or Phillips on the DL at some point this season along with one of their top 2 pitchers, I'd be pretty happy to see them only 2 games back right now...

That's how a lot of Cards fans are feeling right now. They had massive injuries yet only 2 games back? We'll take it.

PuffyPig
06-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I think it's a legit point though. Before the Cards went on this mini run, they had the 4th worst record dating back to May. The Reds remind me of the Cards of the first month. They had a good record but wasted some chances to pull ahead of the Reds even more that month. I think the same thing could be said for the Reds. The Cards were playing about as bad as any team could play including several sweeps against them in that time frame.

We have gained 7 games on the Cards during that period. That's not to bad.

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

It's not great either considering how bad the Cards have been playing. Like I said, they had the 4th worst record since May. That would put them in company with the Cubs and Padres.

This thing is going to go back and fourth. I still believe that a team from the Central will also get a WC berth because nobody in the NL is running away with anything.

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 11:24 PM

"too"... since this site is all literal and stuff..

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 11:25 PM
It's not great either considering how bad the Cards have been playing. Like I said, they had the 4th worst record since May. That would put them in company with the Cubs and Padres.

This thing is going to go back and fourth. I still believe that a team from the Central will also get a WC berth because nobody in the NL is running away with anything.

Gonna be tough... East could go 3 deep... And don't count the DBacks out in the 2nd half... Getting Drew back will be big...

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Gonna be tough... East could go 3 deep... And don't count the DBacks out in the 2nd half... Getting Drew back will be big...

The Doyers have fallen back to earth and are now tied with the Giants in the west.

And the Cubs... are well... still the Cubs :beerme:

DGullett35
06-27-2012, 11:28 PM
The Cards have played good lately after suffering so many injuries, and I fully expect them and the Reds to battle till the end. Its going to come down to who has the best record between the 2 against the Cubs, Stros, and Brewers. However if it were not for Yadier Molina they would have lost 2 out of 3 to the Marlins who have been horrible. I think our pitching trumps theirs, and providing a good leadoff hitter I think our offense hangs with theirs. Today on FSO they were saying how Votto has had only 76 plate appearances with RISP.(Unless I heard wrong) Theres only 4 players with fewer plate appearances, Jose Bautista, Albert Pujols, and I forget the other one:) but it was also a decent player on a decent team If I remember correctly. I feel that is an area this Reds team HAS to adress before the deadline. With the way hes hitting this year and the infinite doubles hes producing he could have had 130 RBI this year instead of struggling to maybe reach 100. Still have more than half a season to go and its going to be a blast! The good teams always make a run. I think this roadtrip we are about to embark on is the most important 11 games so far this year. We have Cueto 3 times so thats good. I would love to be in the position we are in now come the all-star break.

GO REDS!!

REDblooded
06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Not so sure our pitching trumps their's... Obviously (as no Reds fan possibly could be) I'm not expecting Lohse to maintain his current pace... I also don't expect Latos to move any further from the back of his baseball card...

However, one has to expect Wainwright to get stronger as he gets further from his surgery...

And for once, they have the stronger farm if they want to go after Garza...

DGullett35
06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Not so sure our pitching trumps their's... Obviously (as no Reds fan possibly could be) I'm not expecting Lohse to maintain his current pace... I also don't expect Latos to move any further from the back of his baseball card...

However, one has to expect Wainwright to get stronger as he gets further from his surgery...

And for once, they have the stronger farm if they want to go after Garza...

Our bullpen is far better than theirs tho. Starters may be close. Also even with Chapmans struggles I still take him over Motte. Also do you see the Cubs trading Garza within the division? I just don't see why teams would do that.

MikeThierry
06-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Our bullpen is far better than theirs tho. Starters may be close. Also even with Chapmans struggles I still take him over Motte. Also do you see the Cubs trading Garza within the division? I just don't see why teams would do that.

That is the the rub right there. The Cardinals bullpen is an absolute joke. It's to the point now where the Cards need to be up by at least 3 runs in the 7th because I know with almost certainty that they're going to give up 2 runs. The absence of Lance Lynn in the pen has had a drastic impact on what they can roll out there in the late innings.

As far as the Reds offense compared to the Cards offense, I just don't see it. The Cards have a situation where when all their players are in the lineup, Freese (whose batting .281, .823 OPS, 13 HR, 46 RBI's) hit's 7th in their lineup. It's about as stacked of a lineup as you're going to get in the NL and the Reds lineup outside of Votto can't even compare. That's one area where I can say the Cards team is superior to pretty much everyone in the NL.

I think the Reds and Cards starting pitching is a push, though the Cards are slightly better in that department. For those who are still waiting for Kyle "league average" Lohse to somehow regress to some level, he's legit. When he's healthy, he's a very good pitcher. Last year he led the Cards in wins and ERA. I wouldn't be shocked this year if he did the same thing in a contract year.

All of this said, if the Cards do not fix the Gas Can Gang they bring out in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings; the Reds are going to eventually win this thing.

REDblooded
06-28-2012, 12:10 AM

At the present state of the Cubs, I don't really see why they would care... Do you?

I'd also point to Marshall for Wood and a lawn jockey showing that's not one of their current inherent values...

REDblooded
06-28-2012, 12:12 AM
That is the the rub right there. The Cardinals bullpen is an absolute joke. It's to the point now where the Cards need to be up by at least 3 runs in the 7th because I know with almost certainty that they're going to give up 2 runs. The absence of Lance Lynn in the pen has had a drastic impact on what they can roll out there in the late innings.

As far as the Reds offense compared to the Cards offense, I just don't see it. The Cards have a situation where when all their players are in the lineup, Freese (whose batting .281, .823 OPS, 13 HR, 46 RBI's) hit's 7th in their lineup. It's about as stacked of a lineup as you're going to get in the NL and the Reds lineup outside of Votto can't even compare. That's one area where I can say the Cards team is superior to pretty much everyone in the NL.

I think the Reds and Cards starting pitching is a push, though the Cards are slightly better in that department. For those who are still waiting for Kyle "league average" Lohse to somehow regress to some level, he's legit. When he's healthy, he's a very good pitcher. Last year he led the Cards in wins and ERA. I wouldn't be shocked this year if he did the same thing in a contract year.

All of this said, if the Cards do not fix the Gas Can Gang they bring out in the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings; the Reds are going to eventually win this thing.

Before the break last season, what was the Cardinals biggest issue?

Bullpen?

Didn't that prove to be a strength down the stretch? Yeah... Color me skeptical in hoping that's the area that the Reds make up the difference...

For me, it's the Cardinals health... You're fooling yourself if you believe Beltran and Berkan stay on the field at 100% going forward...

MikeThierry
06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
At the present state of the Cubs, I don't really see why they would care... Do you?

I'd also point to Marshall for Wood and a lawn jockey showing that's not one of their current inherent values...

They're going to want elite prospects in return for Garza. As bad as the Cubs are, I don't see them giving up prospects like Shelby Miller or Oscar Tavaras for Garza. That could certainly hurt the Cardinals down the road.

MikeThierry
06-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Before the break last season, what was the Cardinals biggest issue?

Bullpen?

Didn't that prove to be a strength down the stretch? Yeah... Color me skeptical in hoping that's the area that the Reds make up the difference...

For me, it's the Cardinals health... You're fooling yourself if you believe Beltran and Berkan stay on the field at 100% going forward...

Beltran played 142 games last season so I don't see the issue with it. He looks healthy now and is moving fine out there in right field. You're right about Berkman considering they've missed him for the year. Still, Allen Craig (batting .311, .974 OPS, 9 HR, 34 RBI's) has certainly given them adequate production in his absence. Berkman is starting to get into rehab assignments and I they estimate he will be back by the end of July.

REDblooded
06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
They're going to want elite prospects in return for Garza. As bad as the Cubs are, I don't see them giving up prospects like Shelby Miller or Oscar Tavaras for Garza. That could certainly hurt the Cardinals down the road.

I'm sure the Cardinals would gladly trade Miller for Garza if it meant a legitimate shot at going back to back...

MikeThierry
06-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm sure the Cardinals would gladly trade Miller for Garza if it meant a legitimate shot at going back to back...

Interesting situation. If the Cards are certain to go back to the WS with Garza, I would make that trade. However, nothing is certain so I wouldn't pull it off. I don't want the equivalent of Brock for Broglio happening to the Cards.

REDblooded
06-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Interesting situation. If the Cards are certain to go back to the WS with Garza, I would make that trade. However, nothing is certain so I wouldn't pull it off. I don't want the equivalent of Brock for Broglio happening to the Cards.

It wasn't too long ago that Bailey was a more highly regarded prospect than Miller... Give me the sure thing...

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Pfft. Only a 3 page topic? I thought for sure I'd stir the pot better than that. :D

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Reds get the following pitchers in San Fran. Here are their stats pitching at home:

Bumgarner (5-1, 2.27 ERA, 39 K/3 BB at home)
Cain (4-1, 1.45 ERA, 56 K/6 BB, .150 BAA)
Vogelsong (4-2, 1.29 ERA, .199 BAA)

Dusty will probably sit a bunch of regulars, play the bench, conceding 3 losses. :laugh:

Cards will be in first after this West Coast trip for the Reds. Reds historically suck going out west. Then factor in the pitching of the Giants and Dodgers, and it may get ugly around this board next week.

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Priceless.

redsmetz
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Reds get the following pitchers in San Fran. Here are their stats pitching at home:

Dusty will probably sit a bunch of regulars, play the bench, conceding 3 losses. :laugh:

Cards will be in first after this West Coast trip for the Reds. Reds historically suck going out west. Then factor in the pitching of the Giants and Dodgers, and it may get ugly around this board next week.

Apparently you've overlooked our recent history out west. According to this morning's paper, in 2010 we were 5-5 and last year we were 7-3. I can't say how well we'll do or not, but if we're going with history, I'll take the more recent vintage since much of this club consists of the same players.

Of course, your intent seems to just stir things up, so have at it. That always makes for a great fan experience.

HeatherC1212
06-28-2012, 10:26 AM

From Fay:

The Reds have played better on the West Coast the last two years under Baker. They went 7-3 last year and 5-5 in 2010.

Link: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I don't worry as much about the Reds going west as I used to since they have played much better out there the last few years. Let's let the games happen before we start panicking over every single little thing. If we're still in first place by the time we get to the All Star break, I'll be thrilled and ready to party for a while (well, at least until the season starts up again after the break, LOL). :beerme: :thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Reds historically suck going out west. Then factor in the pitching of the Giants and Dodgers, and it may get ugly around this board next week.

IIRC that hasn't been the case in recent years. During the Dunn era and before, yeah I'd agree with you. But these younger kids don't seem to be phased by it as much.

Yep, I just checked. 2010 we had 2 west coast swings. 3-3 on one, 6-3 on the second. 2011 we had 2 as well. 3-3 on the first, 5-2 on the second.

~edit~ I didn't see these last 2 posts. But regardless....Fay was wrong. I checked the schedules myself. There was one extra 3 game series against the Pads that was tacked on to the end of a midwest trip. I didn't count that one.

REDREAD
06-28-2012, 10:47 AM

I don't think the Cubs are worried about trading within the division.. They're probably at least 3 years away from being relevant again.
They traded Marshall to us and didn't worry about it.

westofyou
06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Of course, your intent seems to just stir things up, so have at it. That always makes for a great fan experience.
That obviously is the intent, as for a "great fan experience" I'll say not even close, I find it to be rabble rousing at its best and IIRC one if the reasons FCB lingers elsewhere

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
IIRC that hasn't been the case in recent years. During the Dunn era and before, yeah I'd agree with you. But these younger kids don't seem to be phased by it as much.

Yep, I just checked. 2010 we had 2 west coast swings. 3-3 on one, 6-3 on the second. 2011 we had 2 as well. 3-3 on the first, 5-2 on the second.

~edit~ I didn't see these last 2 posts. But regardless....Fay was wrong. I checked the schedules myself. There was one extra 3 game series against the Pads that was tacked on to the end of a midwest trip. I didn't count that one.

This team is in a bit of a funk. I'm guessing it will end up more like 70's and 80's teams where they didn't play well out there.

But you young'uns don't remember those teams like us veteran fans do.

redsmetz
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
That obviously is the intent, as for a "great fan experience" I'll say not even close, I find it to be rabble rousing at its best and IIRC one if the reasons FCB lingers elsewhere

Sorry, I left off my sarcasm indicator. I agree completely.

redsmetz
06-28-2012, 01:12 PM
This team is in a bit of a funk. I'm guessing it will end up more like 70's and 80's teams where they didn't play well out there.

Well thanks for suggesting that I'm a "young'un" but I have ten and a half years on you. What the team did out west in the 70's and 80's is irrelevant to the present day team. That team has performed well in recent years on West Coast trips, even if Fay misreported the numbers.

Seriously, what happened 25-40 years ago means nothing as a predictor of today's events.

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2012, 01:21 PM

I'll assume you're not referring to me as a "young'uns". I remember the BRM quite vividly. I'm 44.

And for a team in a "bit of a funk" we just won our last series and we're in first place. I'll take that kind of funk any day of the week thankyouverymuch.

westofyou
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM

I remember the 1968 season, but thanks for calling me young

PuffyPig
06-28-2012, 01:52 PM

I think the Reds are actually playing quite well, most of our loses have been very close games that could have gone either way.

The randomness of baseball ensures teams will go through good and bad streaks all the time.

The Dodgers are in a much bigger funk, and are missing their only two offensive guns right now.

traderumor
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM

But you young'uns don't remember those teams like us veteran fans do.I used to go to bed on school nights listening to the Reds on the West Coast. Based on the maturity level of your posts, I figured you for a 20 something. Go figure.

But, memories of what the Reds have done on the West Coast in the 70s and 80s are nice sentiments for a fan to get oneself worked up with, but they mean nothing to the current team. The dreaded West Coast trip is turning into about as big a boogeyman as the title of this thread.

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Well thanks for suggesting that I'm a "young'un" but I have ten and a half years on you. What the team did out west in the 70's and 80's is irrelevant to the present day team. That team has performed well in recent years on West Coast trips, even if Fay misreported the numbers.

Seriously, what happened 25-40 years ago means nothing as a predictor of today's events.

So you're 63?

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I used to go to bed on school nights listening to the Reds on the West Coast. Based on the maturity level of your posts, I figured you for a 20 something. Go figure.

But, memories of what the Reds have done on the West Coast in the 70s and 80s are nice sentiments for a fan to get oneself worked up with, but they mean nothing to the current team. The dreaded West Coast trip is turning into about as big a boogeyman as the title of this thread.

Nothing wrong with the maturity level of my posts. You just take this stuff way too serious.

The gist of my stance is that the construction of this team is not quite ready to win it all and there are serious holes in it still.

I'm still a fan. Still want to see them do well.

We're just the best of the worst division, fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it.

PuffyPig
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Boom.

redsmetz
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
So you're 63?

No, based on your info here on RZ, I'm 10 1/2 years older than you (BTW, belated Happy Birthday). I didn't even have to take my shoes off to do the math. :laugh:

Vottomatic
06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
No, based on your info here on RZ, I'm 10 1/2 years older than you (BTW, belated Happy Birthday). I didn't even have to take my shoes off to do the math. :laugh:

I misread your original post. Thought you said something that added up to 15 years. Oh well.

Trying to work and read this board don't mix.

PuffyPig
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Nothing wrong with the maturity level of my posts. You just take this stuff way too serious.

The gist of my stance is that the construction of this team is not quite ready to win it all and there are serious holes in it still.

I'm still a fan. Still want to see them do well.

We're just the best of the worst division, fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it.

I think the mature poster would point out that we have the 7th best record in the major leagues, and only 2.5 games behind the best team in the NL.

MikeThierry
06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
It wasn't too long ago that Bailey was a more highly regarded prospect than Miller... Give me the sure thing...

I'm sorry, I'm still not trading to the Cubs. That thing has bad mojo written all over it. I know that will bite us in the butt later down the road. The baseball gods frown on trades between classic rivals.

EDIT: I think about it more and more. I'm solidly against it. I can't stand Cubs players. They would come to the Cardinals with a losing mentality and I don't want that "filth" hitting our club house. Keep them in that horrible excuse for a stadium with fans that care nothing about the game except getting drunk.

PuffyPig
06-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still not trading to the Cubs. That thing has bad mojo written all over it. I know that will bite us in the butt later down the road. The baseball gods frown on trades between classic rivals.

EDIT: I think about it more and more. I'm solidly against it. I can't stand Cubs players. They would come to the Cardinals with a losing mentality and I don't want that "filth" hitting our club house. Keep them in that horrible excuse for a stadium with fans that care nothing about the game except getting drunk.

That's painting quite the picture with one sweeping remark. Having watched games in Wrigley Field....oh yeah,never mind......

MikeThierry
06-28-2012, 07:46 PM
That's painting quite the picture with one sweeping remark. Having watched games in Wrigley Field....oh yeah,never mind......

:lol: :laugh:

Vottomatic
07-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Wrong team. Here come the Pirates. 1/2 game out.

RedlegJake
07-04-2012, 02:34 AM

LOL I love it!! I'd take the right player if he hadn't been there too long. But a guy like Soriano? No freakin' way. And I hate the teams fans - a curious twist as I really have no animosity toward the team itself. I just don't want those obnoxious stupid people to experience a single shred of joy from their Cubbies.

PuffyPig
07-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Are the Cards there yet?

Where exactly are they trying to get to?

Vottomatic
08-26-2012, 08:34 PM
6 games out and doing their usual September song and dance routine.

cincrazy
08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
They're playing very well. Have been for quite some time. And they're still six back. I have little question about how good they are. But you need to realize that we are every bit as good, and probably better. They are a good team. But they're not going to catch us.

traderumor
08-26-2012, 09:00 PM
It still says August on my calendar. It is likely they lose the ground they gained this week next week. Our turn to beat up on Houston while they scuffle with a tough NL East opponent.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
These next 7 games will be very important for the Cards. 3 at Pittsburgh and 4 at Washington. If they do well here, they easily could be in it the month of August, especially if the Reds struggle.

klw
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Reds still have the largest divisional lead in baseball and the Cards have only cut 1 game into the lead in the past 10 games. Cards are in the thick of the wild card however.

Tom Servo
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Since you originally posted this thread the Reds have beaten the Cards 4 times and they've beaten the Reds 2 times. Not a lot more the Reds can do.

fisch11
08-26-2012, 10:58 PM
One game was all we really needed this series to keep course. We will get a couple games back while we are in Houston and they are in Washington.

SirFelixCat
08-26-2012, 11:49 PM
One game was all we really needed this series to keep course. We will get a couple games back while we are in Houston and they are in Washington.

Yup. Mission accomplished by splitting w/ Philly and winning at least one vs St. Louis. I'm content.

vic715
08-27-2012, 01:54 AM
I remember the 1968 season, but thanks for calling me young

I remember the 1961 season like it was yesterday but I feel young,until I look in the mirror of course.

kaldaniels
08-27-2012, 02:09 AM
The last 7 games the Reds have faced Halladay, Lee, Wainwright, Hamels, and Garcia. The Reds went 3-4. I think that says they came be competitive in the playoffs. No need to get anxious....that is one tough run of pitchers.

VR
08-27-2012, 03:14 AM
The Cards are the last team I'd want to face in the playoffs.

redsfandan
08-27-2012, 07:39 AM
These next 7 games will be very important for the Cards. 3 at Pittsburgh and 4 at Washington. If they do well here, they easily could be in it the month of September, especially if the Reds struggle.

Fixed that for ya.

I don't like the idea of giving fodder to Chicken Little but the Cards have won 5 of their last 6 games. The Reds have Votto getting closer to being back. The Reds also have alot of off days in the next few weeks with the DBacks, Astros (twice), Bucs (also twice), Miami, Cubbies, and the Brew Crew lined up. If the Reds really want to be in the playoffs now is the time to prove it.

redsfandan
08-27-2012, 07:47 AM
The last 7 games the Reds have faced Halladay, Lee, Wainwright, Hamels, and Garcia. The Reds went 3-4. I think that says they came be competitive in the playoffs. No need to get anxious....that is one tough run of pitchers.

Halladay and Lee have had off years, Wainwright is coming back from TJ, and Garcia??

Sure, the Reds did pretty well against that group but they need to put this division away.

Hoosier Red
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't think anyone puts a division away in August. The six game lead is the largest of any division leader.

The only chance not eliminated yet is the chance of a huge collapse. Aside from that, even playing .500 or a little better than .500 ball and there's very little chance that St.Louis comes all the way back.

If the Reds went 15-18 the rest of the way, St. Louis would need to win at a higher percentage than any team's record to this point.

traderumor
08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Fixed that for ya.

I don't like the idea of giving fodder to Chicken Little but the Cards have won 5 of their last 6 games. The Reds have Votto getting closer to being back. The Reds also have alot of off days in the next few weeks with the DBacks, Astros (twice), Bucs (also twice), Miami, Cubbies, and the Brew Crew lined up. If the Reds really want to be in the playoffs now is the time to prove it.Yea, they're probably still debating if they want to do that or not :confused:

REDREAD
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Reds still have the largest divisional lead in baseball and the Cards have only cut 1 game into the lead in the past 10 games. Cards are in the thick of the wild card however.

Yes, I am satisfied how this 3 game series went. It wasn't the funnest series to watch, but beforehand, I figured we really only HAD to win one game.
A Cards sweep would've been rough (although not insurmountable)

We could've won 2 of 3 had the pitching not collapsed on Friday (which is ok, overall...pitching has been very solid all year).

I still hope we don't have to match up with the Cards in the playoffs though.

Vottomatic
08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
“Six games is a substantial amount of games right now, but we still do have over a month to go,” Reds first baseman Todd Frazier said. “I’m just glad we’re up six games. We have nothing to worry about.”

I hope that quote doesn't come back to haunt.

kaldaniels
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I hope that quote doesn't come back to haunt.

I would hope the team isn't worried. Just keep doing what they have been doing. He acknowledged there is still a month to go so it's not like he said the division has been won.

Kc61
08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I would hope the team isn't worried. Just keep doing what they have been doing. He acknowledged there is still a month to go so it's not like he said the division has been won.

The current stretch of Phil/Cards/Ariz is one of the tougher ones on the schedule for the Reds this late season. Not only are the opposing teams good, they've faced top starters, and they have now played 31 games in 31 days.

After Arizona the Reds get an off day Thursday and have several off days scattered throughout September. Also they play Houston two series (and Philly at home) and should get Votto back.

Hopefully the Arizona series will go well and the team can re-charge its battery with off days and Votto returning.

traderumor
08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I predicted 3-4 last week, although giving up 8 runs to the Cards twice was tough to watch, the Reds have two winnable series coming up. The Dbacks have been scuffling and the Astros are awful. They do that, and 6 more games are in the books with likely no worse than a 6+ game lead.

The math just keeps on working in the Reds favor, and with the Cards highly unlikely to do much more than tread water this week, if not lose ground, we are down to only 27 games left and probably a 6-8 game lead---and Votto back.

Kc61
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I predicted 3-4 last week, although giving up 8 runs to the Cards twice was tough to watch, the Reds have two winnable series coming up. The Dbacks have been scuffling and the Astros are awful. They do that, and 6 more games are in the books with likely no worse than a 6+ game lead.

The math just keeps on working in the Reds favor, and with the Cards highly unlikely to do much more than tread water this week, if not lose ground, we are down to only 27 games left and probably a 6-8 game lead---and Votto back.

And don't underestimate the off days coming up. Reds have off days for three consecutive Thursdays starting August 30. They also have an off day on Monday September 24.

Folks should also keep in mind that when Votto returns, Frazier will be available to give other players a rest and starting 9/1 some minor leaguers will supplement the roster. So the players can look forward to more days off which is great this time of year.

Boss-Hog
08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
And don't underestimate the off days coming up. Reds have off days for three consecutive Thursdays starting August 30. They also have an off day on Monday September 24.

Folks should also keep in mind that when Votto returns, Frazier will be available to give other players a rest and starting 9/1 some minor leaguers will supplement the roster. So the players can look forward to more days off which is great this time of year.

They're also off 9/17.

Kc61
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
They're also off 9/17.

Thanks for the addition.

After tonight, the Reds will be the only contender in either league with 130 games played. After tonight, the only other team with 130 games played will be the Padres.

So the Reds have had a tough grind.

MikeThierry
08-27-2012, 12:25 PM
It's going to be difficult for the Cardinals to catch up to the Reds but they do have a solid footing in the Wild Card race. Atlanta seems very beatable and I have a feeling it's going to be the Giants vs. the Cardinals in the play-in game.

Vottomatic
08-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Good point.

And I have to go look, but I think the Cards don't have hardly any off days in September.

Those off days and Frazier's ability to spell guys at so many positions SHOULD be a bonus.

Hoosier Red
08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
It's going to be difficult for the Cardinals to catch up to the Reds but they do have a solid footing in the Wild Card race. Atlanta seems very beatable and I have a feeling it's going to be the Giants vs. the Cardinals in the play-in game.

Agreed. I though LA's big trade was going to have more of an impact on the Cards than the Reds as it basically assures one of SFG/LAD will grab a wild card which means ATL and StL are playing for one spot.

Kc61
08-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Agreed. I though LA's big trade was going to have more of an impact on the Cards than the Reds as it basically assures one of SFG/LAD will grab a wild card which means ATL and StL are playing for one spot.

Also, Cards play four in LA. Reds play three at GABP with LA. Don't think Pirates play LA anymore.

reds44
08-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Reds have the largest division lead in baseball.

Hollcat
08-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Just like all summer long we have been assured that Detroit will win their division. Putting three new players into your starting 8 along with a pitcher that isn't very good into the rotation does not assure the Dodgers of being able to beat out the teams they are battling with for a playoff spot.

Vottomatic
08-29-2012, 09:13 AM
DOWN! Goes Molina

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM
For all the talk about how great the Cards are and how flukish the Pirates are, with the win tonight the Pirates take the season series over the Cardinals.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 10:53 PM
For all the talk about how great the Cards are and how flukish the Pirates are, with the win tonight the Pirates take the season series over the Cardinals.

Who would you rather the Reds face in a 7-game series?

edabbs44
08-29-2012, 10:55 PM

I'd rather face Pitt on the road in all 7 games than the Cards. No fear of Pitt.

SirFelixCat
...and there go the Cardinals. Buh-bye.

Like Frazier said, don't look at who's behind, only who is in front. Well, no one is in front, but I'd like to stay in front :)

cincrazy

I'm not into all of that. In 2007 I jumped up and down when the Buckeyes drew Florida in the national title game. I learned my lesson :). I don't care who the Reds face. Any team we face is going to be formidable. With that pen, and McDonald and Burnett at the top of the rotation, the Pirates would give us hell. Maybe the Cards would be the tougher series. I don't know. But neither of them are a cakewalk.

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I'd rather face Pitt on the road in all 7 games than the Cards. No fear of Pitt.

Be careful what you wish for my friend. We haven't exactly steamrolled Pitt in our meetings this year.

Brutus
08-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm not into all of that. In 2007 I jumped up and down when the Buckeyes drew Florida in the national title game. I learned my lesson :). I don't care who the Reds face. Any team we face is going to be formidable. With that pen, and McDonald and Burnett at the top of the rotation, the Pirates would give us hell. Maybe the Cards would be the tougher series. I don't know. But neither of them are a cakewalk.

Superstition aside, I imagine you have a preference deep down. And I sense that you don't want to admit who it is because it coincides with why most people have been pulling for the Pirates the last few weeks.

cincrazy
08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Superstition aside, I imagine you have a preference deep down. And I sense that you don't want to admit who it is because it coincides with why most people have been pulling for the Pirates the last few weeks.

I honestly am not afraid to play the Cardinals. I respect them, yes. But I don't want to avoid them, per se. I wanted to avoid the Phillies in 2010. Bet your bottom dollar on that one. I don't feel the need to avoid the Cards, because I think we're better than the Cards. They peaked in April. If we had to play them in a 5 game series then, yeah, I'd be worried. But in October? Bring it on.

Phhhl
08-29-2012, 11:46 PM

I just don't agree that the Dodgers are in position to win anything this year. The lineup is good and they'll be able to add on this winter. But they still have major pitching problems. Aside from Kershaw, the rest of their staff is a bunch of 3's, 4's and 5's. Billingsley and Lilly are hurt, and now Jansen is dealing with his heart problems again. They might sorely miss moving De La Rosa in "the deal" before this is done. If not a spot start or two, he could have made a big difference in their pen down the stretch.

I think one of Pittsburgh or St. Louis is going to take the second wild card. The Pirates have to be pretty stoked about the Cardinals going to Washington for the next four days in a htting funk. I actually think Pitt has put themselves back in decent shape with this series vs. St. Louis. Ironically, how the Reds play against Pittsburgh in the 6 remaining game with the Pirates should go a long way towards deciding who gets in.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd prefer to play the Diamondbacks, Astros or Cubs. Since we can't play those guys in October, I'' refrain from saying who'd I'd rather face. I will say I don't want to play the Cards. I'd rather play a new team than one we've been seeing all year.

redsfandan
08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Now that the lead is 8 I'm not nearly as worried about the division. But, ...

I think one of Pittsburgh or St. Louis is going to take the second wild card. The Pirates have to be pretty stoked about the Cardinals going to Washington for the next four days in a htting funk. I actually think Pitt has put themselves back in decent shape with this series vs. St. Louis. Ironically, how the Reds play against Pittsburgh in the 6 remaining game with the Pirates should go a long way towards deciding who gets in.

I'll be rooting for anyone but the Cards to get the 2nd spot.

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Now that the lead is 8 I'm not nearly as worried about the division. But, ...

I'll be rooting for anyone but the Cards to get the 2nd spot.

:beerme:

traderumor
08-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I've referred to the Cards as the Boogeyman, and the continued "I want to face anyone but the Cards" only proves my point. Any team good enough to makes the playoffs will be a fitting opponent for the Reds and will be a formidable foe. We outpitched the Cards right after the AS Break in a 3 game sweep, we were one big inning away from taking 2 of 3 this weekend, and their offense is often feast or famine, most off bottom of the rotation guys.

The Reds will be a tough team to face in the playoffs, and the mystique of the Cards is not going to change that. Meanwhile, the Nats beat us like a drum in head to head, and I don't recall facing Strasburg, so why so little concern for them is as mysterious as Cards Fear Fever.

_Sir_Charles_
08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
......And there go the Cardinals!

:O)

Tadasimha
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I've referred to the Cards as the Boogeyman, and the continued "I want to face anyone but the Cards" only proves my point. Any team good enough to makes the playoffs will be a fitting opponent for the Reds and will be a formidable foe. We outpitched the Cards right after the AS Break in a 3 game sweep, we were one big inning away from taking 2 of 3 this weekend, and their offense is often feast or famine, most off bottom of the rotation guys.

The Reds will be a tough team to face in the playoffs, and the mystique of the Cards is not going to change that. Meanwhile, the Nats beat us like a drum in head to head, and I don't recall facing Strasburg, so why so little concern for them is as mysterious as Cards Fear Fever.

The games against the Nats were all so early in the season, before the Reds starting pitching started to click and before anyone other than Joey Votto was producing at the plate. It's hard to say how well (or not) the Reds would have done during the regular season against them if the games had been later in the year.

If they meet in the playoffs, should be some very good baseball to watch!

PuffyPig
09-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I think this thread was started by the Brewers and the Phillies, who are now only 4 games behind the Cards.

None of the Cards, LA or Pirates seem to want to win the odd game, allowing the Brewers and the Phillies to get back into the race.

mdccclxix
09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
The would suck if the Phillies stormed into the playoffs.

SirFelixCat
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
...and there go the Cardinals. Buh-bye.

Like Frazier said, don't look at who's behind, only who is in front. Well, no one is in front, but I'd like to stay in front :)

:)

Matt700wlw
09-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Phillies are only 4.5 games out of the wildcard...

Strikes Out Looking
09-12-2012, 10:22 AM

They worry me more than any other NL team at this point.

PuffyPig
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM

It's actually 4.

klw
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Here are the current wild card standings courtesy of mlb.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/wildcard.jsp?ymd=20120911

Wild Card Teams W L PCT WCGB WCE # L10 STRK LAST GAME NEXT GAME
Atlanta 81 62 .566 - - 7-3 L2 9/11 @ MIL, L 0-5 9/12 @ MIL, 8:10 PM
St. Louis 75 67 .528 - - 4-6 L2 9/11 @ SD, L 4-6 9/12 @ SD, 6:35 PM
LA Dodgers 74 68 .521 1.0 20 4-6 L2 9/11 @ ARI, L 0-1 9/12 @ ARI, 9:40 PM
Pittsburgh 72 69 .511 2.5 19 2-8 L5 9/11 @ CIN, L 3-5 9/12 @ CIN, 7:10 PM
Milwaukee 71 71 .500 4.0 17 7-3 W2 9/11 vs ATL, W 5-0 9/12 vs ATL, 8:10 PM
Philadelphia 71 71 .500 4.0 17 8-2 W6 9/11 vs MIA, W 9-7 9/12 vs MIA, 4:05 PM
Arizona 70 72 .493 5.0 16 5-5 W1 9/11 vs LAD, W 1-0 9/12 vs LAD, 9:40 PM
San Diego 68 75 .476 7.5 13 6-4 W3 9/11 vs STL, W 6-4 9/12 vs STL, 6:35 PM

The top two Wild Card teams from each league make the postseason. The Braves lead the Cardinals by 5 1/2 games and would host the one-game playoff.

medford
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Hard to believe Philly & Milly are now just 4 games out of the last WC spot.

Its also hard to believe that the Pirates are now w/n realistic range of finishing below .500 again. Seemed like a sure bet that they'd remain over .500 and break the streak. I know some predicted it on the pirates thread, but I never got the impression those predictions were anything more than jest.

PuffyPig
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Its also hard to believe that the Pirates are now w/n realistic range of finishing below .500 again. Seemed like a sure bet that they'd remain over .500 and break the streak. I know some predicted it on the pirates thread, but I never got the impression those predictions were anything more than jest.

The prediction of being below .500 may have been in gest, but the thought they would not be serious contenders certainly wasn't.

bucksfan2
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Nothing like rewarding mediocre teams.

DGullett35
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Brew Crew are playing some of the best baseball in the entire league right now. Wouldnt surprise me one bit for them to grab a WC spot. What if 3 teams from the central make the playoffs? Cin(has to be a given now with a 10.5 game lead with 19 to go), Stl, and Mil can do it if the dodgers and Braves finish out bad.

Degenerate39
09-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Which teams do you guys want to see make the wild card?

Sea Ray
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Brew Crew are playing some of the best baseball in the entire league right now. Wouldnt surprise me one bit for them to grab a WC spot. What if 3 teams from the central make the playoffs? Cin(has to be a given now with a 10.5 game lead with 19 to go), Stl, and Mil can do it if the dodgers and Braves finish out bad.

Milwaukee's currently 14.5 games behind our beloved Reds who have enjoyed a wonderful season. Isn't there a problem somewhere if a team you pummeled by 14.5 games in the regular season can knock you out of the playoffs in a short series? Something about that seriously rubs me the wrong way

Sea Ray
09-12-2012, 12:34 PM
In 1975 the Big Red Machine potentially could have lost in the playoffs to the 2nd place LA Dodgers who they beat by 20 games if the WC were in place:

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1975finaldiv.htm

Believe me, the Dodgers would have lined up their very good pitching staff and given the Reds fits in a short series

HeatherC1212
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
I personally don't really care for this whole thing where teams can suck for most of the season and then sneak into the post season just because they hit a hot streak at the same time other teams ahead of them hit a bad one. That first team still isn't all that good....they're just getting lucky at the right time. The Phillies and Brewers shouldn't be anywhere near the post season right now. It's crazy how this game can be so annoying at times.

I am happy the Reds aren't in the middle of this wild card nightmare though. Yikes! :eek:

vic715
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
In 1975 the Big Red Machine potentially could have lost in the playoffs to the 2nd place LA Dodgers who they beat by 20 games if the WC were in place:

http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1975finaldiv.htm

Believe me, the Dodgers would have lined up their very good pitching staff and given the Reds fits in a short series

In 1973 The Mets won 82 games and the Reds won 99.Mets had home field advantage and ended up winning the NL.

OldXOhio
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Which teams do you guys want to see make the wild card?

Any two of ATL, LA or MIL

medford
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
I personally don't really care for this whole thing where teams can suck for most of the season and then sneak into the post season just because they hit a hot streak at the same time other teams ahead of them hit a bad one. That first team still isn't all that good....they're just getting lucky at the right time. The Phillies and Brewers shouldn't be anywhere near the post season right now. It's crazy how this game can be so annoying at times.

I am happy the Reds aren't in the middle of this wild card nightmare though. Yikes! :eek:

Is getting hot at the end of the year specifically worse than starting out hot and playing mediocre the 2nd half of the season and still getting in. 162 games is 162 games; each win is as valuable as another, no matter what point of the season it occured.

Vottomatic
09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I hope the Brewers and/or Phillies don't grab a wildcard.

Kc61
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
These late rising teams have their schedule challenges.

Brewers have a ten game road trip at Cincy, Pitt, and four in DC.

Phils have six remaining with the Nats, three with Braves.

Pirates have a lot of easy teams to play, but mostly on the road and finish with Reds and Braves.

Cards have current west coast series, including four in LA, finish with Nats and Reds.

When Dodgers finish with Arizona they have Cards, Nats, Reds, then at San Diego, finish v. SF.

Overall, I still think the Pirates may have the easiest schedule but the team has imploded and a lot of their "easy" games are on the road. Getting swept at home by the Cubs did not help them.

Bottom line, though, somebody is going to have to earn that last spot. Most of the teams have some tough games ahead.

Sea Ray
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
In 1973 The Mets won 82 games and the Reds won 99.Mets had home field advantage and ended up winning the NL.

That can happen if you win a weak division but I see that's different because the Reds were not fighting the Mets for a playoff spot that year.

mdccclxix
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't mind the knockout threat from an inferior team because I also don't like the no knockout threat in the NBA first round. That you could be knocked out tells me you're not that much better and therefore not deserving of a no challenge type of opponent. I think this complaining would definitely not be taking place if the Reds were trying to storm into the conversation right now. And actually, the Phillies might still be the best team in the NL now that they're healthy. That they have a chance to show it is pretty cool. If you're going to say any team can win over the best team in baseball, that doesn't do a whole lot for the mystique of teams like the BRM or Ruth's Yankees, etc.

mdccclxix
09-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Baseball's postseason parity is probably the best of all the major sports. You can buy the postseason, but definitely not a championship. Let's keep it that way.