PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 6/28

chicoruiz
06-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Reds:

Brandon Phillips (31) -The funnest guy to watch in the majors, in my book...On August 1, 2007 he stole second and third on the same pitch (the infield was in a weird shift for Adam Dunn)...Someday there'll be a highlight DVD of all his defensive gems, and I'm buying it.

Chris Speier (61) -Chris was raised in the Bay Area, so when he was starting at shortstop for the Giants at age 21 he still lived at home with his parents and older brother. When asked if his older brother still picked on him he said, "Not really- I mean what can he say?"...

Ken Williams -Often cited as an unappreciated star, he broke in with the Reds but played most of his career with the Browns...He was 30 before he became a regular...The first 30/30 man in baseball history...In 1925 he drove in 105 runs in only 102 games.

Others:

Mark Grace (48) -Had the most hits and doubles in the decade of the 1990s without ever having a 200-hit season...Was once romantically linked with actress Janine Turner of "Northern Exposure".

Don Baylor (63) -Coming out of high school he was offered a football scholarship to play for Darrell Royal at Texas. He would have been the first African-American player at UT...Umpire Ken Kaiser swears that Baylor once hit a ball so hard that it ticked off the glove of a leaping 3b and continued on over the left field fence...Accomplished an odd 30/30 in 1986: 31 homers, 35 HBP.

Al Downing (71) -Remembered now mostly for surrendering Aaron's 715th home run, but he deserves better- he had some really good years with the Yankees, and later with the Dodgers.

UKFlounder
06-28-2012, 08:12 AM
I've been to 2 Reds games this year and in each one, there has been a bouncing ball hit up the middle that Phillips barehanded and threw to first (almost in the same motion). It's stunning to see such a play made in person. Instant replay is nice, but seeing it live just seems different.

Bob Borkowski
06-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Ken Williams -Often cited as an unappreciated star, he broke in with the Reds but played most of his career with the Browns...He was 30 before he became a regular...The first 30/30 man in baseball history...In 1925 he drove in 105 runs in only 102 games.

In November 1924, it was rumored that the Yankees were trying to trade for Williams, which would have teamed him with Ruth to make one of the most powerful home run combinations in baseball. However, St. Louis manager George Sisler's insistence on the Yankees trading Waite Hoyt for Williams was too high a price for Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert.