PDA

View Full Version : A Confederacy of Dunces

WMR
06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

I cannot believe that I only finally stumbled upon this book a couple months ago. Perhaps the funniest book I have ever read. The story of the author is truly a tragedy.

Any other Ignatius Reilly fans out there? :D

Redsfaithful
06-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I think my favorite book is always changing, but this one is always on the short list. I'm really overdue for a reread.

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 02:24 PM
it's an old friend that i revisit from time to time...

westofyou
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I hate the main character with a passion

RichRed
06-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I hate the main character with a passion

Yeah, I like the book but it's hard for me to give it a full endorsement, just because the main guy's so despicable. (I get that he's supposed to be.)

Roy Tucker
06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I like the book but it's hard for me to give it a full endorsement, just because the main guy's so despicable. (I get that he's supposed to be.)

That's where I fall in too. Quite the idiosyncratic and picturesque book, but I eventually tired of Ignatius.

westofyou
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
That's where I fall in too. Quite the idiosyncratic and picturesque book, but I eventually tired of Ignatius.

Live in Berkeley and you'll know enough of the real thing, way less charming

WMR
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Ignatius would have loved the internet. Can you imagine the trolling he would have gotten into? :laugh:

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
come on guys. he's a fictional character, for goodness sake.

:)

WMR
06-28-2012, 05:41 PM
come on guys. he's a fictional character, for goodness sake.

:)

I agree, the Ignatius hate is a little odd to me. I found him endlessly entertaining and interesting. The back and forth with Myrna, eating dozens of hot dogs, trying to bring down Levy Pants, it's endless for me, really.

westofyou
06-28-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree, the Ignatius hate is a little odd to me. I found him endlessly entertaining and interesting. The back and forth with Myrna, eating dozens of hot dogs, trying to bring down Levy Pants, it's endless for me, really.

Owen Meany wouldn't have enjoyed him at all!!

Sweetstop
06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
i will say owen meany wins in the battle for my heart...:)

Rojo
06-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree, the Ignatius hate is a little odd to me.

Me too. He's too powerless to hate.

Redsfaithful
06-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Too ridiculous to hate for me.

WMR
06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Is there any doubt that Toole would have lived and kept on writing if his work had been properly appreciated before his downward slide into depression and paranoia? It makes me sad to think of all the literature we lost when he took his life.

Johnny Footstool
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Fellow Redszoner Wheels gave me this book when I came to the Redszone Gathering back in 2007. Unfortunately, I still haven't read it -- I'm not a big reader. But it will be the next novel I read.

BillDoran
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm with those would couldn't handle Ignatius. I've got to be able to identify with the protagonist at some level, even an anti-hero. That smug bastard still bothers me. I suppose I can understand the appeal, just not my cup o' tea.

bigredmechanism
06-30-2012, 08:14 PM
I had realized that it was one of my favorite books by the time I had finished about 10 pages. Brilliant on many levels.

Ignatius is awesome.

kpresidente
07-01-2012, 11:48 AM
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Of course, almost by definition, anybody initially opposed to a true genius becomes the "dunce" after the genius is realized and accepted as such. Just sayin'.

Still a good quote for convincing everybody with a minority opinion that they're really just an unrecognized "true genius".

AtomicDumpling
07-03-2012, 02:52 AM

I cannot believe that I only finally stumbled upon this book a couple months ago. Perhaps the funniest book I have ever read. The story of the author is truly a tragedy.

Any other Ignatius Reilly fans out there? :D

That quote was my signature here on Redszone for a couple of years. :thumbup:

Rojo
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Of course, almost by definition, anybody initially opposed to a true genius becomes the "dunce" after the genius is realized and accepted as such. Just sayin'.

Still a good quote for convincing everybody with a minority opinion that they're really just an unrecognized "true genius".

Stanley Moon: You're a nutcase! You're a bleedin' nutcase!

George Spiggott: They said the same of Jesus Christ, Freud, and Galileo.

Stanley Moon: They said it of a lot of nutcases too.