PDA

View Full Version : July 2 International Signing Period

Benihana
06-29-2012, 02:57 PM
New rules this year somewhat level the playing field. I'd love to see the Reds pick up one of these top 20 guys- particularly if they happen to play SS. It seems as though the international field is the best place to mine for SS in the last few years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613623.html

1. Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela
2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela (video)
3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela (video)
4. Alexander Palma, of, Venezuela (video)
5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic (video)
6. Jose Castillo, lhp, Venezuela (video)
7. Luiz Gohara, lhp, Brazil
8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
9. Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela
10. Wendell Rijo, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
13. Richard Urena, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
14. David Rodriguez, c, Venezuela (video)
15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic (video)
16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic (video)
17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic
18. Sergio Alcantara, ss, Dominican Republic
19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
20. Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic (video)

Wendell Rijo just sounds like a Red.

lollipopcurve
06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
The only guy I've seen the Reds mentioned with so far is Urena.

corkedbat
06-29-2012, 06:56 PM
A ton of Venezuelan and Dominican kifs grow up dreaming of being the nex5 great SS and a lot of youth teams will put their best athletes at SS. Once they get into professsional organizations and start to fill out though, they often move to other positions (although more than a few stay at short too).

Benihana
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Not much activity from the Reds so far. Most of the top names coming off the board this morning. Toronto and Pittsburgh are most notably active.

texasdave
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
1. Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela BLUE JAYS
2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela (video) YANKEES
3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela (video) RAYS
5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic (video) GIANTS
8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic (video) PADRES
9. Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela BLUE JAYS
11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic (video) METS
12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic (video) TWINS
15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic (video) PHILLIES
16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic (video) PIRATES
17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic RED SOX
19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic (video) CUBS
20. Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic (video) PHILLIES

Superdude
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Not much activity from the Reds so far. Most of the top names coming off the board this morning. Toronto and Pittsburgh are most notably active.

Between Rodriguez, Duran, Arias, Guillon, etc., we've had a pretty dry run with international signings recently. Maybe Bob's a little gun shy at this point.

dougdirt
07-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Let's note that some of those guys aren't yet eligible to sign. You can't sign until you are 16 and not everyone is 16 yet (if you turn 16 before September, you are eligible to sign in this years signing period).

Benihana
07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Would love to get one of the Dominican SS or Venezuelan pitchers.

texasdave
07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Not many Brazilian ballplayers.

lollipopcurve
07-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Cueto was not a big name, not was Corcino or HRod or Torreyes. A lot of mega-dollar guys disappoint, and much cheaper guys surprise.

texasdave
07-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Cueto was not a big name, not was Corcino or HRod or Torreyes. A lot of mega-dollar guys disappoint, and much cheaper guys surprise.

Speaking of Torreyes, it looks as if he is finally remembering how to hit.

April - .630
May - .382
June - .923

OPSes they are.

dougdirt
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Speaking of Torreyes, it looks as if he is finally remembering how to hit.

April - .630
May - .382
June - .923

OPSes they are.

More like his BABIP is finally starting to normalize.

He has as many walks as strikeouts, he has all season long. He didn't forget how to hit, the baseball luck Gods decided sticking him in the FSL wasn't enough, they also took luck from him.

Benihana
07-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Yes, but it would be nice to see the Reds fork out a little dough for this (certainly can't complain about them spending elsewhere).

Outside of Chapman, they really haven't done much since the big spending summer of 2008, when they signed Rodriguez, Duran, Arias, Guillon and Corcino.

It would be great to pull in another haul like that.

Benihana
07-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Update: it looks like it will have to be LHP Jose Castillo or one of the Dominican SS...

1. Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela – Blue Jays

2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela – Yankees, $1.3 million

3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela – Rays

4. Alexander Palma, of, Venezuela – Yankees, $800,000

5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic – Giants, $1.3 million

6. Jose Castillo, lhp, Venezuela

8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic – Padres

9. Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela – Blue Jays

10. Wendell Rijo, ss, Dominican Republic

11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic – Mets, $1.75 million

12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic – Twins, $1.4 million

13. Richard Urena, ss, Dominican Republic

14. David Rodriguez, c, Venezuela - Rays

15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic – Phillies, $575,000

16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic

17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic – Red Sox, $610,000

19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic – Cubs, $700,000

20. Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic – Phillies, $540,000

texasdave
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Did I read correctly that starting next year a team can sell its international signing allotted money to another team?

texasdave
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM

He has as many walks as strikeouts, he has all season long. He didn't forget how to hit, the baseball luck Gods decided sticking him in the FSL wasn't enough, they also took luck from him.

Only 1 strikeout in May so, yeah, he wasn't getting very hit lucky. But he seems to be hitting the ball harder.

If you use SLG-BA for ISO (I saw three different ISO formulas :eek:)

April - .094
May - .055
June - .193

In any case, I am glad to see him rolling along again. Viva El Raton!

Benihana
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
So 10 days have passed and I guess we didn't have any notable signings?

Scrap Irony
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
None anounced. They usually do that all at once, IIRC.

lollipopcurve
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
If you're looking for an interesting 16-year-old to come into the organization, check out Alberti Chavez, currently playing for the DSL Reds/Dbacks team. The kid has been on fire for a terrible team. Born in 1995!

mace
07-12-2012, 10:49 AM
If you're looking for an interesting 16-year-old to come into the organization, check out Alberti Chavez, currently playing for the DSL Reds/Dbacks team. The kid has been on fire for a terrible team. Born in 1995!

Twenty hits in his last eight games. That'll work. And he's a SS. (Of course, everybody's a SS at that age.)

Meanwhile, Yonatan Suero has slowed down considerably.

lollipopcurve
07-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Pretty much coincided with the change in spelling of his first name. If you're looking for some inside scouting.

Vottomatic
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
1. Franklin Barreto, ss/cf, Venezuela BLUE JAYS
2. Luis Torrens, c, Venezuela (video) YANKEES
3. Jose Mujica, rhp, Venezuela (video) RAYS
5. Gustavo Cabrera, of, Dominican Republic (video) GIANTS
8. Carlos Belen, 3b, Dominican Republic (video) PADRES
9. Luis Castro, ss, Venezuela BLUE JAYS
11. Amed Rosario, ss, Dominican Republic (video) METS
12. Amaurys Minier, ss, Dominican Republic (video) TWINS
15. Deivi Grullon, c, Dominican Republic (video) PHILLIES
16. Julio de la Cruz, 3b, Dominican Republic (video) PIRATES
17. Jose Almonte, rhp, Dominican Republic RED SOX
19. Frandy de la Rosa, ss, Dominican Republic (video) CUBS
20. Jose Pujols, of, Dominican Republic (video) PHILLIES

I'd take my chances with Jose Pujols. He's got the name. :laugh:

Just kidding.

Oh, and I see Danny Almonte's brother is available too. ;)

redsmetz
07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Twenty hits in his last eight games. That'll work. And he's a SS. (Of course, everybody's a SS at that age.)

It's a wonder they can actually field teams with everyone playing shortstop!

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2012, 11:50 AM

If a guy is 100% reliant on his BAPIP to the point that he OPS's .500 for two months on A ball, then that really is not a valid excuse.

It's a sign that the guy has zero power, and zero ability to find first base without getting a hit.

His BAPIP will get better, but I think the signs are on the wall that he doesn't have a significant number of skills at the plate that he is going to be a major asste at the plate as he moves up. It more than likely shows that last year was the fluke, not this year.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
If a guy is 100% reliant on his BAPIP to the point that he OPS's .500 for two months on A ball, then that really is not a valid excuse.

It's a sign that the guy has zero power, and zero ability to find first base without getting a hit.

His BAPIP will get better, but I think the signs are on the wall that he doesn't have a significant number of skills at the plate that he is going to be a major asste at the plate as he moves up. It more than likely shows that last year was the fluke, not this year.

Well, he isn't a guy with zero power. He is a teenager playing the Florida State League who has 14 doubles and 4 home runs. He isn't Juan Pierre.

And doesn't just about every player rely on BABIP? If everyone posted a .200 BABIP for months at a time, everyone would look like they couldn't hit. The kid simply makes contact when he swings. He isn't going to draw walks because when he is thrown strikes, he hits them. If he turns into Juan Pierre with a little bit more power, that has some value. I think that is right up his alley.

PuffyPig
07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, he isn't a guy with zero power. He is a teenager playing the Florida State League who has 14 doubles and 4 home runs. He isn't Juan Pierre.

No, Juan Pierre is a major league player.

This guy is miles away from that.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
No, Juan Pierre is a major league player.

This guy is miles away from that.

Of course he is miles away from that. That is why he is in the Florida State League and not the Majors.

That is why I continued my thought with the paragraph that you didn't quote.

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2012, 01:45 PM

And doesn't just about every player rely on BABIP? If everyone posted a .200 BABIP for months at a time, everyone would look like they couldn't hit. The kid simply makes contact when he swings. He isn't going to draw walks because when he is thrown strikes, he hits them. If he turns into Juan Pierre with a little bit more power, that has some value. I think that is right up his alley.

We also know that players can control their BAPIP to some extent (agreed, not to the extend of RT over 2 months).

But when was the last time a great BAPIP guy like Votto or Holiday did that for 2 consecutive months (I hoesntly don't know). Because RT is going to need a near elite BAPIP in his career to sustain starter level offensive value due to his overall limited patience/power. I'm saying, it likely wasn't 100% luck that he was doing as poorly as he was.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 01:52 PM
He doesn't need to be a great BABIP guy to sustain starter level offensive value. Let's just assume his walk and strikeout rates remain exactly the same as they are right now, 7.5%. Lets just take his current rate of power numbers in the FSL and push them forward to the Majors on a rate basis. Here is the line he would put up with a 'normal' BABIP

PA AB H 2B 3B HR BB K HBP SH SF AVG OBP SLG BABIP
650 586 170 30 6 9 49 49 5 5 5 .290 .347 .408 .302

From a second baseman, that is above average offensive output.

A whole bunch of guys go through the Florida State League who mashed before they got there and mashed after they left, but didn't mash while they were there. It happens all the time.

Ryan Braun and Joey Votto jump immediately to mind.

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2012, 01:58 PM
A guy whom alreayd walks pretty sparingly, and has low power is not likely to see those rates stay constant as the progress through the minor leagues and major leagues....

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
A guy whom alreayd walks pretty sparingly, and has low power is not likely to see those rates stay constant as the progress through the minor leagues and major leagues....

Maybe not. But maybe so. Juan Pierre has considerably less power and has walked 40+ times in the Majors on more than a few occasions. A guy like Michael Bourn had no power and has walked over 50 times in the last few seasons.

Now Bourn walked more in the minors too. But despite his lack of power, pitchers in the Majors are still throwing him plenty of non strikes. Just saying that I can certainly see a way that he can be a quality hitter in the Majors without doing much walking because the guy, like a Juan Pierre, simply never strikes out. To top it off, he also has a little bit of pop in his bat.

Scrap Irony
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Over three minor league seasons, Torreyes has a 1:1 BB:K ratio.

He has some pop in his bat and has a solid Iso obp (obp-BA) of 0.60. (This year's is better than that.) 84 of his 291 hits have been for extra bases. All but 89 ABs of this has been done in parks that range from nuetral to those that sap serious power.

Looks like he was in the mother of all BaBIP-related slumps, but has come out the other side.

Unfortunately, he's a guy that's already got two strikes against him, in that he's very short/ small and has little pedigree. He'll have to mash in order to get recognized. Too bad, too, as he's got a solid defensive reputation (reports range from Gold Glove to above average).

Jose Altuve was mentioned as a comparable player when he was a Red. I'd certainly take that as a major leaguer and run.

(I'd deal Drew Stubbs for he and a C prospect right now and not look back.*)

Caveat: Ronald Torreyes is probably my favorite prospect in all of baseball, so I'm biased.

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I just personally see him progressing as more of a Dave Sappelt than a Jose Altuve. Altuve is certainly proving to be more of an exception than a standard. Sappelt was a similar type of hitter that was considered to have sufficient power and contact abilities to hit in the upper minors.

Yet this season, he has posted a .650 OPS in the PCL league with his BAPIP mostly normalized at .280. He's a similar guy IMO that just doesn't have the projection to improve at the same rate as the average minor league prospect.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I just personally see him progressing as more of a Dave Sappelt than a Jose Altuve. Altuve is certainly proving to be more of an exception than a standard. Sappelt was a similar type of hitter that was considered to have sufficient power and contact abilities to hit in the upper minors.

Yet this season, he has posted a .650 OPS in the PCL league with his BAPIP mostly normalized at .280. He's a similar guy IMO that just doesn't have the projection to improve at the same rate as the average minor league prospect.

Sappelt went back to his old swing that he was using in Dayton. Not the one he was using in AA/AAA before he was traded and was hitting well. Sappelt has enough power and contact to work with as a center fielder, when he is using the right swing. But right now he isn't and it is likely causing timing issues like it was in the past.

There is a night and day difference. He went back to the bat wiggle.
http://redsminorleagues.com/images/davesappeltcomp5seconds.gif

Sappelt on the left struggles to hit for power because his timing is off because of that silly bat wiggle that delays his hands from being in the right spot when he begins his swing. Sappelt on the right was able to have his hands in the correct spot when he begins his swing, thus allowing him to have better timing.

Patrick Bateman
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Sappelt went back to his old swing that he was using in Dayton. Not the one he was using in AA/AAA before he was traded and was hitting well. Sappelt has enough power and contact to work with as a center fielder, when he is using the right swing. But right now he isn't and it is likely causing timing issues like it was in the past.

There is a night and day difference. He went back to the bat wiggle.
http://redsminorleagues.com/images/davesappeltcomp5seconds.gif

Sappelt on the left struggles to hit for power because his timing is off because of that silly bat wiggle that delays his hands from being in the right spot when he begins his swing. Sappelt on the right was able to have his hands in the correct spot when he begins his swing, thus allowing him to have better timing.

I do see the obvious difference, but why hasn't anyone in the Cubs organization figured this out considering it is a pretty basic swing difference.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I do see the obvious difference, but why hasn't anyone in the Cubs organization figured this out considering it is a pretty basic swing difference.

Why didn't Sappelt or the Reds figure it out for a few seasons? Or Sappelts college coach while he was actually in college. What changed Sappelt's mind on it, since he was the guy who initially decided to make the change after watching the games better hitters who for the most part were all very quiet at the plate?