PDA

View Full Version : Uggla beats out DatDudeBP for All-Star Game Start

trush44
07-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Uggla beats out DatDudeBP for All-Star Game Start.

Uggla:
Average: .235
Homeruns: 11
RBIs: 43
OBP: .363
Fielding %: .978
Errors: 8

Phillips:
Average: .288
Homeruns: 10
RBIs: 46
OBP: .330
Fielding %: .994
Errors: 2

Phillips leads (dominates) everything except for OBP and homeruns (by one). How did he get the shaft from fans?

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Maybe retweeting for votes isn't as important as having a fan base thar cares to vote.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Fan base that cares to vote I guess.

Stray
07-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Lol Phillips and Cueto left off of the roster, how surprising.

MBZags
07-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Cueto didn't make the team. I'm sure TLR will try to say that Cueto couldn't have pitched anyway, but we all know that's a bunch of BS. He still could've been selected and then replaced.

texasdave
07-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Lol Phillips and Cueto left off of the roster, how surprising.

You call someone a b*tch and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow. You kick someone's player in the face with spikes on and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow.

I know that automatically makes me a hater or something. Who cares. They both got what they deserved if you ask me.

Stray
07-01-2012, 01:30 PM
You call someone a b*tch and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow. You kick someone's player and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow.

I know that automatically makes me a hater or something. Who cares. They both got what they deserved if you ask me.

Just stating the obvious, man. I think we all knew Cueto and Phillips stood no chance unless they got voted in.

David Wright not starting was the craziest thing I noticed...and did Michael Bourn not make it as a reserve? Oh and Bruce was surprising for me.

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Uggla beats out DatDudeBP for All-Star Game Start.

Uggla:
Average: .235
Homeruns: 11
RBIs: 43
OBP: .363
Fielding %: .978
Errors: 8

Phillips:
Average: .288
Homeruns: 10
RBIs: 46
OBP: .330
Fielding %: .994
Errors: 2

Phillips leads (dominates) everything except for OBP and homeruns (by one). How did he get the shaft from fans?

Uggla got off to a hot start and Phillips didn't. Plus with the markets each team plays for,I'm not surprised. I'm glad, maybe they can take some much needed time off.

sigep529
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Would love to see this team make it to the WS...

Let's see what Dusty's ASG team would look like.

RedsFanInBama
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
You call someone a b*tch and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow. You kick someone's player in the face with spikes on and he doesn't pick you. You reap what you sow.

It should be about what happens on the field, not about petty grudges. I'll say I expected nothing less from that drunk LaRussa.

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't get the big fuss of our players not in the ASG. It gives our players a chance to take a mental break and step away from the game for a few days. With our team trying to make a strong playoff run I'm glad we don't have everyone that deserves to be on the team on it. If we had a team like a years past who sucked, then yeah i would be disappointed, not this year for me. Just my opinion tho.

brm7675
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Explain to me why a retired manager gets to manage the all star game that has ramifications...

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Explain to me why a retired manager gets to manage the all star game that has ramifications...

Because it's the rules....and Tony LaRussa will try to win. Regardless what you think of the guy, he will honor the game.

Maker_84
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Cueto should have been in over Chapman, cant blame Larussa for not wanting Cueto or Phillips if anyone on this board were managing the Cards during that brawl probably wouldn't like any of them either.

Maker_84
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Because it's the rules....and Tony LaRussa will try to win. Regardless what you think of the guy, he will honor the game.

And Larussa is one of the best baseball managers of all time

texasdave
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
It should be about what happens on the field, not about petty grudges. I'll say I expected nothing less from that drunk LaRussa.

In a perfect world you are right. I agree.

Red Raindog
07-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Have I missed something?

I didn't think the pitchers & reserves had been picked yet.

Stray
07-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Dusty said it's because of the St. Louis fight, he's upset about the snubs.

Stray
07-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Have I missed something?

I didn't think the pitchers & reserves had been picked yet.

They just announced everything on TBS

Red Raindog
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
They just announced everything on TBS

OK -- thx -- nothing on ESPN yet

Falcon7
07-01-2012, 02:04 PM

And he's so good, he doesn't need the best possible players... right?
Always have hated the A Hole

The Cards/La Russa are far from innocent in that brawl!! I can't believe people on here think they (JC & BP) "Got what they deserve". :confused:

5TimeWSChamps
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Tony LaRussa is a petulant child who holds petty grudges.

He needs to stay retired. What a effing joke

texasdave
07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I can't believe people on here think they (JC & BP) "Got what they deserve".

I can't believe there are people on here that think they didn't.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah, Pablo over Wright is the worst and kills the market size theory.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 02:15 PM

And if anything is debatable that Cueto and Phillips won't make it....Chapman and Bruce selection was the counter....but LaRussa with zero doubt is continuing the grudge.....as Dusty would the same as he has proved.

Old NDN
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
I expected nothing less from TLR. Cueto, Votto should have been in. Phillips added. No Chapman or Bruce, imo.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Two things here...

1. LaRussa did not a pick a single Cards player. Lynn got in by player vote and that vote took place 10 days ago before he started to stink.

2. If Baker wants to see Phillips and Cueto get in as a reserve, he needs to get to a World Series so he has that right to chose. LaRussa earned the right and made his picks.

There will ALWAYS be deserving players left off. No one will ever be 100% happy. Deal with it. Posey starting over Ruiz or Molina is what the joke here, but the SF fans came through for him.

realistic
07-01-2012, 02:28 PM
phillips i can understand because you had to have an astro on the team and i doubt they have ever carried three 2b in one season. but lynn instead of cueto ? thats ridiculous. lynn is 10-4 with a 3.62, cueto 9-3 with a 2.26 ace of a division leader. straight robbery. lynn a 5.67 era in june, will be around 4.50 at seasons end a total fluke of a start, cueto has dominated teams for 2 years now. is disgraceful.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Giants fans won.

Posey over Ruiz and Molina is hard to understand but Pablo over David Wright....Jesus no way.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
phillips i can understand because you had to have an astro on the team and i doubt they have ever carried three 2b in one season. but lynn instead of cueto ? thats ridiculous. lynn is 10-4 with a 3.62, cueto 9-3 with a 2.26 ace of a division leader. straight robbery. lynn a 5.67 era in june, will be around 4.50 at seasons end a total fluke of a start, cueto has dominated teams for 2 years now. is disgraceful.

Did you not read my post directly ahead of yours??? Lynn made it in by the PLAYERS vote which took place 10 days ago before he started his big struggles.

Red Buckeye
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
OK -- thx -- nothing on ESPN yet

ESPN sucks and has sucked for a long time. Complete bias coverage on their part in any sport. They seem to create news when often times they should just be covering it.

I honestly haven't watched ESPN for 5 years unless there is a game on I care about. Sensationalism at is worst. That's E$piN for ya.

I'm so happy Fox Sports is going to make a serious attempt to dig into ESPN's revenue and start getting serious with college football.

Here I go again, getting off topic. Sorry for that.

texasdave
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Did you not read my post directly ahead of yours??? Lynn made it in by the PLAYERS vote which took place 10 days ago before he started his big struggles.

Can you provide a link?

This is the only thing I could find on how the players were selected and it is a bit ambiguous.

The American League All-Star Team has nine elected starters via the fan balloting program, while the National League All-Star Team has eight fan-elected starters. The pitchers and reserves for both squads – totaling 25 for the N.L. and 24 for the A.L. – were determined through a combination of “Player Ballot” choices and selections made by the two All-Star managers – A.L. skipper Ron Washington of the Texas Rangers and N.L. manager Tony La Russa – in conjunction with Major League Baseball.

Old NDN
07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
The Reds better send a babysitter for Chapman. There's no telling what he can find to get into given a few days of no supervision.

realistic
07-01-2012, 02:43 PM

nope i didnt since it was posted 1 minute before mine. "???"

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Can you provide a link?

This is the only thing I could find on how the players were selected and it is a bit ambiguous.

This via the Cards MLB.com writer on twitter...

Jenifer Langosch ‏@LangoschMLB

Let it be noted that La Russa did not choose any #STLCards players for ASG. All four Cardinal All-Stars selected through fan, player voting.

realistic
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Can you provide a link?

i guess he's saying the players voted june 9th, because lynn has sucked his last 3 starts going back to june 19 on a team in 3rd place.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
i guess he's saying the players voted june 9th, because lynn has sucked his last 3 starts going back to june 19 on a team in 3rd place.

a. I'm not a "he"
b. According to Cards writer on twitter, the vote WAS in fact done 10 days ago.
c. You don't think the players could look past ONE bad Lynn outing when they made their votes? Lynn was the 4th player the players voted in. At the time of their vote, he'd had one bad start. It happens.

brm7675
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM

He retired...he is no longer in the game option B should be the manager.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
He retired...he is no longer in the game option B should be the manager.

LaRussa's team go to the World Series. That means he gets to manage the All-Star game. Just because he's retired, that doesn't change the fact that he managed the Cardinals to that World Series. He earned the right to manage.

I get that you're upset that Phillips and Cueto didn't get in, but blame your own team who didn't get to the WS last year. Had they gotten there, then Baker could have put anyone he wanted in.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Can you provide a link?

Another twitter post which has more info on the other player voted in players...

Brian Stull ‏@StullySTL

NL Player vote: Molina, Votto, Altuve, Wright, Castro, Beltran led position spots w RA Dickey and Aroldis Chapman (reliever) also tops

brm7675
07-01-2012, 02:53 PM
LaRussa's team go to the World Series. That means he gets to manage the All-Star game. Just because he's retired, that doesn't change the fact that he managed the Cardinals to that World Series. He earned the right to manage.

I get that you're upset that Phillips and Cueto didn't get in, but blame your own team who didn't get to the WS last year. Had they gotten there, then Baker could have put anyone he wanted in.

The cars went..so the Cards manager NOW should be the manager. If Tony wanted to manage the ASG then don't retire.

texasdave
N.L. players picked Altuve over Phillips? They picked a guy in his first season as a regular, a guy who is the inferior player, over a veteran who is actually the better player, to be in the ASG? Was there a glue-sniffing session ahead of the vote?

realistic
a. I'm not a "he"
b. According to Cards writer on twitter, the vote WAS in fact done 10 days ago.
c. You don't think the players could look past ONE bad Lynn outing when they made their votes? Lynn was the 4th player the players voted in. At the time of their vote, he'd had one bad start. It happens.

Ma'am, that is not quite what you said before. Its all good though, Lance Lynn is a mediocre pitcher who will never sniff another all-star game while Cueto will be a fixture these next 5-10 years as the Reds run the league

Red Raindog
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
ESPN sucks and has sucked for a long time. Complete bias coverage on their part in any sport. They seem to create news when often times they should just be covering it.

I honestly haven't watched ESPN for 5 years unless there is a game on I care about. Sensationalism at is worst. That's E$piN for ya.

I rarely watch a game I don't care about in some way.

:D

I'm so happy Fox Sports is going to make a serious attempt to dig into ESPN's revenue and start getting serious with college football.

Here I go again, getting off topic. Sorry for that.

realistic
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
N.L. players picked Altuve over Phillips? Was there a glue-sniffing session ahead of the vote?

i dont believe that at all. thats all about being the only astro on the team. brian stull is either uninformed or a liar

Stray
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/01/reds-angered-by-snub-of-cueto-phillips/

Not a happy bunch today.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:56 PM
The cars went..so the Cards manager NOW should be the manager. If Tony wanted to manage the ASG then don't retire.

Mike Matheny, a guy who had nothing to do with last years team that got to the WS and has managed about 80 games in his career...and you think he's more deserving than LaRussa??? Yeah, ok

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Ma'am, that is not quite what you said before. Its all good though, Lance Lynn is a mediocre pitcher who will never sniff another all-star game while Cueto will be a fixture these next 5-10 years as the Reds run the league

Can I borrow your crystal ball, please?

realistic
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Can I borrow your crystal ball, please?

sure, if it will prevent you from backpedaling on statements 5 minutes later. you may even kiss it.

Cant Touch This
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
a. I'm not a "he"

How you doin'?

redram
07-01-2012, 03:05 PM

IF he honored the game he would have picked Phillips and Cueto because they are the better players. Instead he holds grudges, and by doing so hurts the team. How is this honoring anything????

Falcon7
07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
IF he honored the game he would have picked Phillips and Cueto because they are the better players. Instead he holds grudges, and by doing so hurts the team. How is this honoring anything????

^^ EXACTLY RIGHT!!

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 03:32 PM
sure, if it will prevent you from backpedaling on statements 5 minutes later. you may even kiss it.

What exactly did I backpedal on?

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
[edited]

What have I said that would lead me to deserve being banned? Can't you handle a bit of a debate or opinions from a fan of another team? I've been registered at the forum since 2000 and have never been one to trash the Reds. Don't see why you need to start the name calling here.

texasdave
07-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Brandon Phillips must not be very popular around the league if all the above is true. His fellow players pick a player, who is both in his first year and not as good as Brandon, to the team over him. And then, after probably being snubbed, he is not selected by the baseball-powers-that-be as one of the five candidates to be voted on by the fans as the final addition to the team. Hope he uses that as motivation to hit about .350 in the second half of the season.

Bob Sheed
07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
lame.

PumpFak3First
07-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I have a problem with it but then I don't. BP is the kind of guy who will benefit from this. He'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder from here on out. Same goes for Cueto. Lets take it as a blessing in disguise folks.

Old NDN
07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Brandon Phillips must not be very popular around the league if all the above is true. His fellow players pick a player, who is both in his first year and not as good as Brandon, to the team over him. And then, after probably being snubbed, he is not selected by the baseball-powers-that-be as one of the five candidates to be voted on by the fans as the final addition to the team. Hope he uses that as motivation to hit about .350 in the second half of the season.

I was about to post something similar. His cocky, cool, hotdoggish, look-at-me demeanor apparently has rubbed more than a few people the wrong way. Most of us Reds fans (as most fans do) tend to overlook the obvious sometimes. Maybe BP needs to re-examine his DatDude personna if it's doing him some harm in the PR area. TLR is probably somewhere smirking: Payback B**ch!!

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
I was about to post something similar. His cocky, cool, hotdoggish, look-at-me demeanor apparently has rubbed more than a few people the wrong way. Most of us Reds fans (as most fans do) tend to overlook the obvious sometimes. Maybe BP needs to re-examine his DatDude personna if it's doing him some harm in the PR area. TLR is probably somewhere smirking: Payback B**ch!!

LaRussa has a big ol $**** grin on his face you can bet.

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Outside of the unfortunate "*****es" comment, I've never seen BP do anything to show up an opponent. He was wrong for that statement, and if this is part of the price he pays, so be it. But I don't buy the "cocky, hotdoggish" stuff. He has fun when he plays, and he's damn good with the glove. He's always the first to give credit to the opponent, even the bitter rivals, when the Reds lose.

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 04:40 PM
And he's so good, he doesn't need the best possible players... right?
Always have hated the A Hole

The Cards/La Russa are far from innocent in that brawl!! I can't believe people on here think they (JC & BP) "Got what they deserve". :confused:

Don't get me wrong man, BP and JC should be on the team. Also, I don't think they got what they deserve either.

redlegs2370
07-01-2012, 04:45 PM

Yes it does make you a hater. Reap what you sow? Are you kidding me?

Brandon is the most fan friendly Red & would imagine would be the same to the fans in Kansas City. The guy makes one statement & that is going to erase all the good he brings tk the game. So TLR is only hurting the fans.

As for Johnny is he the only guy who was in a fight. I would rather be used his feet & not his pitching hand. What else has Johnny done to "reap what he sows".

McGuire took steroids TLR hired him as hitting coach, talk about reaping what you sow.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes it does make you a hater. Reap what you sow? Are you kidding me?

Brandon is the most fan friendly Red & would imagine would be the same to the fans in Kansas City. The guy makes one statement & that is going to erase all the good he brings tk the game. So TLR is only hurting the fans.

As for Johnny is he the only guy who was in a fight. I would rather be used his feet & not his pitching hand. What else has Johnny done to "reap what he sows".

McGuire took steroids TLR hired him as hitting coach, talk about reaping what you sow.

Who?

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Have you not read any of the other post. Altuve got picked because he is the only Astro, yeah sure Cueto coulda got picked, but he wasn't. Who would you have him replace?

FloridaBuckeye
07-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Have you not read any of the other post. Altuve got picked because he is the only Astro, yeah sure Cueto coulda got picked, but he wasn't. Who would you have him replace?

Exactly... i respect/understand the honor of the ASG ... but I am not the least bit upset that the Reds ace doesnt have to go throw in KC during the break

realistic
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Hamels, Papelborn

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Hamels, Papelborn

I would rather have Cueto at home resting than at the ASG. Both those guys have had good years also. Every year there are snubs, this year is no different.

Pony Boy
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I am so not outraged about the snub. This kind of disrespect is good for a team like the Reds that haven't been to the mountain top yet. It's best not to get too many kudos before they actually win something meaningful.

Also, I think that TLR picked Bruce,who probably doesnt deserve it, as a way to make up for his clearly intentional snub.

Krawhitham
07-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Outside of the unfortunate "*****es" comment, I've never seen BP do anything to show up an opponent.

Don't watch many games do you

Krawhitham
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Maybe the Reds should not have put it out there that if selected they did not want Cueto pitching in the all star game.

But it's highly unlikely that Cueto could pitch in the game at Kansas City, held July 10 (8 ET on FOX). His turn to pitch for the Reds will come up at San Diego on the final Sunday before the All-Star break.

"We'd like him to pitch that first game coming back after the All-Star Game against the Cardinals [on July 13]," Reds manager Dusty Baker said

That is why he was not selected, because it would have wasted a slot

As for BP, I'm sure Tony got a kick out of snubbing him, but both the AL & NL are carrying 2 second basemen. Uggla got voted in so he is a lock, each team needs at lease one player and Houston only had one player that was good enough to be an all star and he just happens to play Second Base. So tough luck BP

foxfire123
07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Cueto I'm not so irritated about--he's slated to pitch either right before the ASB or first game back, so he wouldn't be able to go anyway. But BP earned that spot, and should have been named. Fans screwed up by sending Uggla, I'd have been happy with Bruce staying home and BP going in his place.

And I'm just *loving* the flippin' fact the Freese is on the vote list and the %^%#@$# Cardinals are going to get another player at the ASG.

Swampturkey
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
And I'm just *loving* the flippin' fact the Freese is on the vote list and the %^%#@$# Cardinals are going to get another player at the ASG.

Do you really think fans will vote Freese in over Chipper Jones, a future hall of famer who is retiring at the end of this season? I myself am not voting for Freese to get the final vote because I think Chipper should go. Course, I can't stand Chipper so I'm just not going to vote at all.

LaRussa's reasoning for not picking Cueto. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/la-russa-baker-spar-over-all-star-team/article_bc36436e-c3a0-11e1-9f6f-001a4bcf6878.html

redram
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Yea I read the other post what's your point, just to trash me. I posted how I felt if you don't like it or agree big deal. Or are you just here to trash people's opinions??????

texasdave
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
nm

redram
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I would rather have Cueto at home resting than at the ASG. Both those guys have had good years also. Every year there are snubs, this year is no different.

Close the thread the THREAD king has spoken

dubc47834
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Close the thread the THREAD king has spoken

Uuhhhhh who are you dude.....i was stating an opinion. I have never stated or acted like i am the thread king. Ur funny man

improbus
07-02-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't want the guys going to the All Star Game. It is a long season and getting three days off is really nice.

But, I'm the same guy who wouldn't be sad if the just ended the all star game completely. Now that we have Sportscenter, the Internet, and the MLB Network, we don't need the game to showcase players we wouldn't ordinarily see. The concept of the game has run its course. The NFL is close to ending the Pro Bowl, maybe baseball should do the same.

dubc47834
07-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Yea I read the other post what's your point, just to trash me. I posted how I felt if you don't like it or agree big deal. Or are you just here to trash people's opinions??????

No one is trying to trash you...you posted how you felt...cool, I just posted what probably happened. ALTUVE GOT PICKED AS AN ASTRO REPRESENTITVE WAS NEEDED!!! I don't trash people's opinions, and before you make a comment like that, maybe you should go back and read ALL my previous post in my message history.

P.E.R#14
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
A few things real quick,

1. I was at the "brawl" game vs. the Cards sitting about 10 rows behind home. Cueto was being pushed into the netting behind home so much so that fans were holding him up. The only thing he had to fight back with were his feet. MOLINA started the whole thing and the Reds should not be punished for that incident.

2. I can't believe no one in two days has mentioned what this seemingly has done to the Reds. This seems to have lit a fire under their rear ends and who do we play immediately after the All-Star break, the CARDINALS!!!! I like hearing that guys are a little pissed off. Do some damage on the field!

3. Cueto is set to pitch the Sunday before the All-Star break and the Friday after the All-Star break. Not saying he shouldn't be an All-Star, but if he were he'd travel Monday, be at the game Tuesday, travel Wednesday and have Thursday off. This way, he has four days off. I'm not terribly upset.

4. BP is a snub for sure. Not as much as David Wright, but a snub nonetheless. What can we as fans do about that? VOTE! The real reason BP isn't an All-Star is because the fans voted for Uggla and the Astros best player and lone (mandatory) representative is a 2B.

5. Go Reds!!

The_Mudshark
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I have a problem with it but then I don't. BP is the kind of guy who will benefit from this. He'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder from here on out. Same goes for Cueto. Lets take it as a blessing in disguise folks.

This is the best way to look at it.

Kingspoint
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Would love to see this team make it to the WS...

Let's see what Dusty's ASG team would look like.Agree. Nobody serves up revenge like Dusty Baker.

These two snubs are just going to motivate the team into winning the Division. Wouldn't be surprised if the REDS run away with it from this point and win the Division by 10 games along with the best record in the National League. (Thankfully, this is in conjunction with Scott Rolen going back onto the DL).

Kingspoint
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
A few things real quick,

1. I was at the "brawl" game vs. the Cards sitting about 10 rows behind home. Cueto was being pushed into the netting behind home so much so that fans were holding him up. The only thing he had to fight back with were his feet. MOLINA started the whole thing and the Reds should not be punished for that incident.

2. I can't believe no one in two days has mentioned what this seemingly has done to the Reds. This seems to have lit a fire under their rear ends and who do we play immediately after the All-Star break, the CARDINALS!!!! I like hearing that guys are a little pissed off. Do some damage on the field!

3. Cueto is set to pitch the Sunday before the All-Star break and the Friday after the All-Star break. Not saying he shouldn't be an All-Star, but if he were he'd travel Monday, be at the game Tuesday, travel Wednesday and have Thursday off. This way, he has four days off. I'm not terribly upset.

4. BP is a snub for sure. Not as much as David Wright, but a snub nonetheless. What can we as fans do about that? VOTE! The real reason BP isn't an All-Star is because the fans voted for Uggla and the Astros best player and lone (mandatory) representative is a 2B.

5. Go Reds!!Couldn't agree more. Couldn't agree more.

Ironman92
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't think Molina started it....I think Phillips' words started it.

cw0802
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
A few things real quick,

5. Go Reds!!

1. Completely objective. You say Molina started it, I could easily say BP started it by opening his mouth or when he tapped Molina on the shin guards as if nothing was wrong. Idiotic for BP to not expect Molina to take issue with his words. Sure Cueto was pressed up against the netting, but did he need to kick? Nope.

2.. Should be a good series, though the Cards pitching can't seem to figure it out. Been horrible as of late and there's nobody to blame but themselves.

3. Nothing really to comment on this one.

4. If BP and Cueto are angry at the "snubs" are they going to call out the fans or players too? Or will they keep their focus on La Russa being the soul reason they're not on the team? Your comment on the real reason neither are on the team is very true. The fans didn't vote for them. Plain and simple. The players thought others were more deserving and if La Russa left them off cause of their actions. So be it. Cueto kicked a guy in the face and ended his career and BP runs his mouth. Both things that La Russa take issue with. Of course he's going to give good explantions, and if you set aside the fight and look at the logic of the game. Why would you carry 3 second basemen or a starting pitcher who isn't available to pitch?

The good question, if La Russa wasn't the manager of the NL and they weren't selected. Who would you blame then?

P.E.R#14
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
1. Completely objective. You say Molina started it, I could easily say BP started it by opening his mouth or when he tapped Molina on the shin guards as if nothing was wrong. Idiotic for BP to not expect Molina to take issue with his words. Sure Cueto was pressed up against the netting, but did he need to kick? Nope.

2.. Should be a good series, though the Cards pitching can't seem to figure it out. Been horrible as of late and there's nobody to blame but themselves.

3. Nothing really to comment on this one.

4. If BP and Cueto are angry at the "snubs" are they going to call out the fans or players too? Or will they keep their focus on La Russa being the soul reason they're not on the team? Your comment on the real reason neither are on the team is very true. The fans didn't vote for them. Plain and simple. The players thought others were more deserving and if La Russa left them off cause of their actions. So be it. Cueto kicked a guy in the face and ended his career and BP runs his mouth. Both things that La Russa take issue with. Of course he's going to give good explantions, and if you set aside the fight and look at the logic of the game. Why would you carry 3 second basemen or a starting pitcher who isn't available to pitch?

The good question, if La Russa wasn't the manager of the NL and they weren't selected. Who would you blame then?

1. I agree. We'll never know what was said at the plate between BP and Molina.

If LaRussa wasn't the manager I would blame Bud Selig or whoever dropped the Reserve roster from 15-12 for BPs absence. There have only been 2 second basemen named to each league since the reserves were dropped to 12. Cuetos absence is clearly different.

Whose career did Cueto end? Hadn't heard that.

Ironman92
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
"Jason LaRue"

Swampturkey
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
The brawl was 2 years ago. Time to let it go, people!

Do have to say...I don't hear Matheny whining about Jay Bruce being picked by LaRussa over Matt Holliday...Just sayin!

Swampturkey
07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I won't sit here an claim to have ever liked Cueto, but I gotta say, he's REALLY being immature about this...

The National League players didn’t vote for Cincinnati righthander Johnny Cueto as one of their top five starting pitchers for next Tuesday’s All-Star Game. Reportedly, he was closer to 10th than fifth in their voting. And National League manager Tony La Russa didn’t take Cueto, in part, because he was scheduled to start Sunday, just two days ahead of the game.

But the high-kicking Cueto isn’t taking this lying down. His agent, Bryce Dixon, e-mailed Michael Weiner, the executive director of the players’ association, voicing his objection over Cueto being left off the team, indicating a grievance might be filed.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that Dixon wrote: "I’m not one to complain about All-Star snubs, but what Tony said was the last straw. Basically, (La Russa) messed up."

La Russa, in an interview with the Post-Dispatch on Sunday, never said that Cueto’s pitching on Sunday was the sole reason Cueto wasn’t selected. And he was emphatic both Sunday and today that Cueto’s part — and that of Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips — in a brawl two years ago had nothing to do with them not being chosen.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/mlb-backs-tony-as-cueto-s-agent-threatens-grievance/article_497d3e7a-c488-11e1-a6d1-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1zVIsw1wD

cw0802
07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
The brawl was 2 years ago. Time to let it go, people!

Do have to say...I don't hear Matheny whining about Jay Bruce being picked by LaRussa over Matt Holliday...Just sayin!

Couldn't agree more. Let's all let the "brawl" go. We all have our opinions and they're not going to change. We all see it differently.

Jason LaRue was out the rest of the season that year due to complications from the concussions he received after being kicked in the head by Cueto. I just re-read the article on ESPN about it and he said this was the tipping point on deciding to retire. He said he had multiple concussions throughout his sports career dating back to high school football. Here's the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5592023

Ironman92
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
LaRussa never let it go.

Cueto and Greinke were left off the team for 1 reason....they upset Tony.

Ironman92
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Swampturkey
07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
LaRussa never let it go.

Cueto and Greinke were left off the team for 1 reason....they upset Tony.

Final comment from me...you all like to say that the Cardinals and their fans whine alot, but honestly, the ONLY players and fans whining now are Reds fans. I get that you're ticked, but other teams in both leagues had snubs as well.

Again, if you want all your reds in, then A. vote them in or B. get to the WS so Baker can decide who the reserves are...then when he snubs players for whatever reason, he can be in LaRussa's shoes.

Ironman92
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I've never ever said Cardinals' fans are whiny...ever. The only whiny part of St Louis history is turbo hag Chris Carpenter.

Phillips was borderline deserving....Cueto and Greinke got LaRussa'd.

Falcon7
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
"Jason LaRue"

Tracy Jones and McAlaster are saying that the fight ended his career, yea that mild concussion (if it was even that) and those scratches surely took a huge toll on Jason, who was likely headed to the HOF. Just a shame...

MBZags
07-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I won't sit here an claim to have ever liked Cueto, but I gotta say, he's REALLY being immature about this...

I have to disagree. TLR basically came out and said he violated the CBA, which ultimately may cost Cueto $25,000 and an accolade. If I were Cueto, I'd be much more upset about the latter than the former, as it's a pride thing, but I don't think filing a grievance is out of line here. I knew TLR would use this excuse when someone called him on it, but the fact that it's in direct violation of the CBA is disconcerting.

Stray
07-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Cueto pitching Sunday is a lame excuse. He could have made the team and been replaced, it's the honor of making the team that is the big deal. And he's obviously deserving. It is what it is though, it's to be expected with LaRussa...and we all should have seen it coming.

All that said, Cueto and the Reds need to let it go, complaining about it makes us look silly.

Can Of Corn
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
La Russa is crazy and Dusty's a crabass. Didn't we come to this conclusion a decade ago?

texasdave
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I have to disagree. TLR basically came out and said he violated the CBA, which ultimately may cost Cueto $25,000 and an accolade. If I were Cueto, I'd be much more upset about the latter than the former, as it's a pride thing, but I don't think filing a grievance is out of line here. I knew TLR would use this excuse when someone called him on it, but the fact that it's in direct violation of the CBA is disconcerting.

If you are talking about that Fay article and the Sunday Rule, Fay got it wrong. As usual.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/02/la-russa-gets-support-from-mlb-over-cueto-snub/

MBZags
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Sigh, nevermind then. That's what I get for relying on a man who can't be bothered to type that Votto's batting average is .350, not .250.

New York Red
07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Just stating the obvious, man. I think we all knew Cueto and Phillips stood no chance unless they got voted in.

David Wright not starting was the craziest thing I noticed...and did Michael Bourn not make it as a reserve? Oh and Bruce was surprising for me.

Bruce is top five in the NL in both HR and RBI, and also the best RF arm in baseball. His selection shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Ironman92
07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Bruce is top five in the NL in both HR and RBI, and also the best RF arm in baseball. His selection shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

"Best RF arm in baseball"

Lol....he has a very good arm. Jeff Francoeur has a better arm and arguing that would be silly. Little known Gerardo Parra of the DBacks has a better arm. Bautista, Harper, Heyward, Ichiro.....all in the same boat as Bruce. I would say Nelson Cruz has him as well.

Jamz
07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
"Best RF arm in baseball"

Lol....he has a very good arm. Jeff Francoeur has a better arm and arguing that would be silly. Little known Gerardo Parra of the DBacks has a better arm. Bautista, Harper, Heyward, Ichiro.....all in the same boat as Bruce. I would say Nelson Cruz has him as well.

Bautista is a horrible fielder though.

bounty37h
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think Molina started it....I think Phillips' words started it.

In that case, the Cards actions/comments over the years prompted the words, which prompted the actions.

The_Mudshark
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Final comment from me...you all like to say that the Cardinals and their fans whine alot, but honestly, the ONLY players and fans whining now are Reds fans. I get that you're ticked, but other teams in both leagues had snubs as well.

Again, if you want all your reds in, then A. vote them in or B. get to the WS so Baker can decide who the reserves are...then when he snubs players for whatever reason, he can be in LaRussa's shoes.

....nobody took a run at this yet?

I think people in Brewer country are 'whining' too...

This is a forum for Red's fans. If you really think that you aren't going to see 'whining' in these threads when two of the best players of a 1st place team get snubbed, you are nuts. You are also nuts if you don't think that there is significant evidence of previous issues between these players and the 2012 NL manager that might have kept them out of the game. There is enough to speculate - more than enough, really. Certainly enough to instigate 'whining' - and the reaction shouldn't be that suprising. If you want to keep bringing an outsider's opinion in, more power to you, but I can't believe you would pick this thread to shed some "St. Louis wisdom" on. :confused:

Ironman92
07-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Bautista is a horrible fielder though.

Didn't say he wasn't. Bruce is better than Bautista in RF...but his arm is not stronger.

27 HR 65 RBI helps you look outside his defense.

Ironman92
07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
....nobody took a run at this yet?

I think people in Brewer country are 'whining' too...

This is a forum for Red's fans. If you really think that you aren't going to see 'whining' in these threads when two of the best players of a 1st place team get snubbed, you are nuts. You are also nuts if you don't think that there is significant evidence of previous issues between these players and the 2012 NL manager that might have kept them out of the game. There is enough to speculate - more than enough, really. Certainly enough to instigate 'whining' - and the reaction shouldn't be that suprising. If you want to keep bringing an outsider's opinion in, more power to you, but I can't believe you would pick this thread to shed some "St. Louis wisdom" on. :confused:

Post #93....I did.

The_Mudshark
07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Post #93....I did.

I saw that post, I was just suprised nobody pointed out that this 'whining' is justified, and the laughable comment about how the Red's players and fans are the only ones doing it right now. It didn't make sense, especially in the manner that she used it.

We say Cardinals are whiners - but we are the only ones whining right now?

What? You are in a Cincinnati Red's themed Forum. Red's fans are the only ones in here... If you want to hear other teams whine go check forums for other teams who had deserving players get snubbed.

foxfire123
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
It would be nice if Joey, Bruce and Chapman would put Phillips and Cueto's numbers on their wristbands or something as a show of support. And for Milwaukee's representatives to put Greinke's.

LaRussa's head would probably explode with a hissy fit about that tho! lol!