PDA

View Full Version : Did Eric Davis ruin anyne else's swing as a kid?

improbus
07-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I saw dubc's avatar with Davis dropping his hands and remembered seeing a ton of kids in my age group doing the same thing. Did anyone else fall prey to his unique hitting style (or someone else's, Morgan's flap, Casey OCD, Juniors wiggle)?

I certainly hit my share of infield popups swinging like ED.

Ironman92
07-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Everyone tried it!

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I used to have all kinds back in the day. Not just Reds, either. Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, Dave Parker (rejoiced when he was traded to Cincinnati). Had 'em all down pat, to various levels of success. :D

redsfanmia
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
We used to imatate batting stances playing wiffle ball, never in a real game.

improbus
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
We used to imatate batting stances playing wiffle ball, never in a real game.

I didn't try to imitate Davis, but he was the best hitter on the team, so you do what he did.

TheBigLebowski
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Almost, until I realized my wrists weren't nearly as strong nor as quick as ED's. But I played center field most of my little league days....and I dutifully tapped my glove on my left thigh twice before catching each fly ball.

improbus
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Almost, until I realized my wrists weren't nearly as strong nor as quick as ED's. But I played center field most of my little league days....and I dutifully tapped my glove on my left thigh twice before catching each fly ball.

That was the problem. Davis had lightning quick hands and I sure didn't.

P.E.R#14
07-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't forget when mocking Davis' swing you have to include the cheek-full-of-chew look!

dubc47834
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
The guy I imitated until my High School coach got on me was Will Clark. To see him swing a bat was soooo smooth. Guess I didn't do it as good, once I got to high school my coach changed that pretty quickly.....LOL