PDA

View Full Version : Make Your Case: Juan Silva

camisadelgolf
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=silva-002jua
Is Juan Silva a prospect in your eyes? He was an 8th round pick in 2009 draft out of the Puerto Rican Baseball Academy. This is his 4th year in the organization and 1st in A-ball, where he is putting up a line of .263/.400/.385/.785. It doesn't exactly scream "superstar", but it's hard to ignore an OBP of .400 combined with a career line of .265/.376/.404/.780. When he was drafted, he was lauded for his tools, but we've also seen some people say that he just doesn't look like a future Major Leaguer. So where do you stand? How would you rate him as a prospect? And just for context, he's a day younger than Tucker Barnhart and less than a year older than Juan Duran. And in case anyone's wondering, he's not eligible for the rule 5 draft until after the 2013 season.

powersackers
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
He plays a nice left field. Seen some highlight reel type of catches this season in person.

Scrap Irony
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
He's a prospect if he can play CF or add 100 slugging percentage points.

He's not all that fast nor is he all that big. He has no pop in his bat.

At this point, he's not much of a prospect, but he has time. I certainly wouldn't release him, but I'd also not hesitate to move someone in front of him either.

corkedbat
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
He's about like 20 other OF prospects scattered throughout the Reds system. All profile as a fourth OF prospect at best right now, but you keep hoping one catches fire and becomes something greater. The two exceptions might be Donald Lutz (because of his power) and Billy Hamilton (because of his speed, apparent ON ability and the iuzz he creates). That is, they seem to be different if they eventually end up in the OF.

Otherwise, this system shows the results of Buckley's fetish for fourth OFer types. I'm hoping at least one or two of this year's draftees can start to reverse that.

Mario-Rijo
07-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Still like him. Though admittedly I'm surprised he hasn't broken out yet.

mdccclxix
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
He certainly has time to develop into something more. That plate discipline is a good place to start. He's got some funky reverse splits, though. Right now he's OPS'd .885 vs LHP since last year.

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player.php?pid=572136&split=3000

mth123
09-01-2012, 06:54 AM
As the season winds down, Silva with a .272/.384/.418/.801 line at Dayton, He's still only 21. He's my early favorite for a break-out in 2013. High A/AA. Not sure where the Reds High A team is going to be in 2013 (are they back with the Blaze?), but he may go nuts in a hitter's league. I like that he's a lefty bat. His line Vs. RHP .277/.394/.442/.836. Lefty hitters who can hit against RHP always have a chance to be pretty useful players.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I like him as fringe prospect. He's had an excellent season, and if he continues to improve he could become something a little better. He plays good defense and has some speed, so that should keep him in the extra OF discussion unless his offense hits a wall -- but with that plate discipline and balanced splits, I'd be surprised if that happens. To me, 2012 has been a breakout season for him.

Hypnotoad
09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
His game winning hit (a nice slasher to RF) was off a lefty pitcher, batting from the left side. So that was nice.

camisadelgolf
09-01-2012, 02:22 PM
As a 21-year-old in a pitchers league, Silva has struck out in 23.2% of his plate appearances. Plenty of successful players have struck out around that rate as minor leaguers. If he can maintain that rate with his career OBP of .373 (granted, that's a huge "if"), he'll be in great shape.

corkedbat
09-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Felix Perez
Cody Puckett
Denis Phipps
Bryson Smith
Ryan LaMarre
Josh Feldhauer
Yordanys Perez
Donald Lutz
Andrew Means
Stephen Hunt
Theo Bowe
Steve Selsky
Juan Duran
Yorman Rodriguez
Juan Silva
Kyle Waldrop

None of these OFs between Louisville and Dayton has much more than a ceiling of reserve OFer or organizational filler.

Lutz, YRod and Duran are the only ones that even conceivable project as major league corner OFers. Waldrop might join them if he develops as he ages. None of them is anywhere near aa sure-thing or top prospect as of now.

LaMarre, Phipps, Smith, Feldhauer, Silva or even one of the Perez 'twins' could develop into serviceable platoon or reserve options but none are anything extrodinary. Bowe and Selsky have both had solid seasons, but will need to show next yeat that they weren't the result of the infamous "Bakersfield Bump."

For all their success elsewhere in the draft, the Reds system is now showing the effects of a prolonged four or five-year neglect of dynamic OF prospect in the draft. Thank goodness for Ryan Ludwick's bargain FA resurgence this year or things might really look fugly.