PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics Thread

5TimeWSChamps
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Not sure how posting about the Olympics goes here, whether it's multiple threads per sport or just one major thread. But I guess I'll start it.

Been watching the US olympic trials, sucked to see Nastia Liukin crash and burn tonight in her attempted comeback. She didn't make the US Womens Gymnastics team

texasdave
07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Adam Eaton set a world record in the decathlon. Usain Bolt got beat in the 100M and the 200M at the Jamaican trials. What a group of sprinters they have.
In their 100M finals it was:
Blake 9.75
Bolt 9.86
Powell 9.88
Frater 9.94

There was a photo-finish tie between Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. They may or may not have a runoff to decide who makes the team.

medford
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
There was a photo-finish tie between Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. They may or may not have a runoff to decide who makes the team.

On TV last night, they seemed to indicate that both would make the team as members of the relay team, regardless of who run the race, which may or may not happen (I'm not sure why)

texasdave
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
On TV last night, they seemed to indicate that both would make the team as members of the relay team, regardless of who run the race, which may or may not happen (I'm not sure why)

Jeneba Tarmoh has announced that she is conceding her spot to Allyson Felix. I can't even imagine that. She is now the alternate if one of the three qualifiers gets hurt or drops out. She will, most likely, run on the relay event.

All that hard work put in and you just concede the spot?

texasdave
07-04-2012, 11:25 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120704/D9VQ3KUO1.html

South African double amputee makes Olympic Games. That seems threadworthy.

15fan
07-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Starting to put my packing list together. 4 nights in Ireland, followed by 5 nights in London during the Olympics. :)

Chip R
07-07-2012, 08:23 PM
USA Basketball has set their 12 man team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--usa-basketball-announces-12-man-olympic-roster-for-london.html

HeatherC1212
07-08-2012, 06:51 PM
USA Men's & Women's Olympic Gymnastics Teams

Men: Jake Dalton (won AA at NCAAs this past year), Danell Leyva (current world champion on parallel bars, US champ from last year), John Orozco (won US title this year), Jon Horton (only holdover from 2008 bronze medal winning team), Sam Mikulik (came back from TWO broken ankles last year to make this year's team :eek: )

Women: Jordyn Weiber (current AA world champion and also won bronze on beam last year), Gabrielle Douglas (won US trials), MyKayla Maroney (fave for vault gold medal, reigning world champ on that event), Aly Raisman (world bronze on FX last year), Kyla Ross (US junior champion from last year)
NOTE: There are NO holdovers from the 2008 team after Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone both missed out on making this year's team.

The women's team is the favorite for the gold medal (they're the reigning world champs) though Russia and Romania should be in the mix too (who knows what's going on with China...they seem out of sorts right now). The men's team has an excellent shot at a medal and could even battle for gold if they're on their game. The podium could easily be China, Japan, USA in some sort of order if they're all hitting routines in the team final. It should be an exciting competition! :jump:

M2
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Jeneba Tarmoh has announced that she is conceding her spot to Allyson Felix. I can't even imagine that. She is now the alternate if one of the three qualifiers gets hurt or drops out. She will, most likely, run on the relay event.

All that hard work put in and you just concede the spot?

Sad to say, but I suspect someone leaned on her to step aside for the bigger name. They have the same coach.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Team USA's big-man problem just got bigger.

Clippers power forward Blake Griffin suffered a left-knee injury during practice in Las Vegas on Wednesday and was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on Thursday for an examination. Hornets power forward and Team USA alternate Anthony Davis has been summoned to replace Griffin, who signed a five-year extension worth up to $95 million with the Clippers on Tuesday.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/07/12/blake-griffin-team-usa/index.html#ixzz20SrsBU6j

15fan
07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Track & Field tickets arrived today. Friend in London has our futbol and mens volleyball tickets in hand.

#gettingstoked

texasdave
07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
150,000 condoms to be issued to Olympic Village. An average of 15 per Olympian. Faster, stronger, higher indeed.

http://www.manolith.com/2012/07/20/150000-olympic-condoms-thats-15-per-athlete-to-be-handed-out-at-london-2012/

texasdave
07-25-2012, 01:35 PM
This is much closer to Jeneba Tarmoh's truth: "I'm always going to remember my first Olympics as the year when my 100-meter spot was taken away from me.''

No, Jeneba, you GAVE your spot away by refusing to participate in a runoff. No one TOOK anything away from you.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/tim_layden/07/25/jeneba-tarmoh-100-meter-dead-heat-2012-olympics/index.html#ixzz21emU48cN

SunDeck
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't have cable and took it for granted that a lot would be streamed on NBC. Unfortunately, I looked yesterday and found that it streams as long as you have a cable, dish or some other account. Very disappointed in the way things have gone with sports viewing, where you can only see something if you have a subscription to it.
I'm going out tomorrow to get a set of rabbit ears for my TV. Darned if I'll subscribe to 100 channels of junk to see what I would have seen for free as a kid.

texasdave
07-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Amazing story.

Legally blind South Korean archer Im Dong-hyun set the first world records of the London Olympics, breaking his own record in the 72-arrow mark and participating in the team shoot record during Friday's ranking round. Im broke the 72-arrow record he had set in Turkey in May by three points with a score of 699, hours before the 2012 Games official opening ceremony.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/07/27/im-dong-hyun-world-record.ap/index.html#ixzz21qIGY1GF

Orenda
07-27-2012, 05:04 PM
a man on the land

http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/26/no-country-no-problem-how-to-make-the-games-without-a-nation/

improbus
07-27-2012, 07:42 PM
NBCs coverage just started. Bob Costas is finally showing signs of age.

Ohayou
07-28-2012, 01:42 AM
German official 2012 Olympics Nazi Salute [HD 1080p] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK4cMtQn-Us)

:dunno:

RBA
07-28-2012, 02:22 AM
There was a lot of awkward dance movements with the arms in the production, maybe he was just trying to imitate the dancers?

KronoRed
07-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Looks like a half wave more then a salute.

Yachtzee
07-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I believe that's the Olympic salute. The Nazi salute is straight forward with the right arm. It amazes me how some go into hysterics every time a German raises an arm.

Yachtzee
07-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Having watched the Olympics in other countries, I get so irritated by people like Bob Costas, Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira. Their lame jokes and overall smarmy banter is annoying and some of their comments during the parade of nations is often con descending.

NJReds
07-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Having watched the Olympics in other countries, I get so irritated by people like Bob Costas, Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira. Their lame jokes and overall smarmy banter is annoying and some of their comments during the parade of nations is often con descending.

Agreed. Where's Vin Scully when you need him.

Hoosier Red
07-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Often? Always? I get that there are a lot of nations, but they have teams of researchers. Perhaps asking for a little bit more in-depth stuff than you find on Wikipedia is a bit much.

Also, "This parade of nations is going so fast" was a very effective way of covering up for how bored they were and how much they wanted to just get to the United States.

Yachtzee
07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Often? Always? I get that there are a lot of nations, but they have teams of researchers. Perhaps asking for a little bit more in-depth stuff than you find on Wikipedia is a bit much.

Also, "This parade of nations is going so fast" was a very effective way of covering up for how bored they were and how much they wanted to just get to the United States.

I think it was Gabon or Gambia where Bob felt he had to repeat the name of their former leader because he thought the name was funny. And I'm sure Ugandans are tired of Idi Amin cracks every time they show up at the Olympics.

sonny
07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Hmm, I thought the parade of nations and the accompanying commentary were great. It had a good pace and Bob and Matt were entertaining.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I think that's among the most difficult assignments in all of sports. Maybe in all of communications. You literally have to know something about everywhere. Costas is incredibly underrated.

Redsfaithful
07-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Costas and Lauer were the lowlight of the evening. NBC as a network in general is just terrible.

dougdirt
07-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I believe that's the Olympic salute. The Nazi salute is straight forward with the right arm. It amazes me how some go into hysterics every time a German raises an arm.

Well, they did start two world wars..... I would be suspicious.

Scrap Irony
07-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Two things I've learned so far while watching the Olympics:

1) The Nazis began the torch across the country. It's stuck ever since. I just assumed it began with Greece in the modern Olympics.

2) Were Brittany Hooker and Anthony Davis to make babies, they may be the next evolution of mankind. She's ten, maybe ten and a half feet in the air, literally elbow up over South Korea's best, most athletic volleyballers.

improbus
07-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I was watching a random volleyball game on the Live Extra App. I forgot how pleasant it can be to watch a sporting event without an announcer.

improbus
07-28-2012, 06:45 PM
I was watching a random volleyball game on the Live Extra App. I forgot how pleasant it can be to watch a sporting event without an announcer.

Also, I approve any sporting event that involves Brazilian women.

improbus
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
I wish Espn.com and other sports websites had a No Olympic Spoiler button. If its on, you don't see any Olympic headlines on the front page. If not, you see them.

Yachtzee
07-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I think that's among the most difficult assignments in all of sports. Maybe in all of communications. You literally have to know something about everywhere. Costas is incredibly underrated.

I think the opposite. Plenty of other countries have people covering the games who don't rely on lame jokes and clueless comments to pass the time. Yet they're still entertaining and informative. There's a stereotype that Americans have only a superficial knowledge of the world and are generally ignorant of people and cultures beyond our borders. The CBC crew did nothing to dispel that.

improbus
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I think the opposite. Plenty of other countries have people covering the games who don't rely on lame jokes and clueless comments to pass the time. Yet they're still entertaining and informative. There's a stereotype that Americans have only a superficial knowledge of the world and are generally ignorant of people and cultures beyond our borders. The CBC crew did nothing to dispel that.

Our commentators treat it like the Macy's parade. I couldn't stand the talking during the opening ceremony itself.

"And now we're seeing how England went from a pastoral country to an Industrial country."

Im pretty sure that was obvious. It was like someone stopping and pointing out the significance of ROSEBUD. Just awful.

improbus
07-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I just bought a case of Old Milwaukee to play the Michael Phelps drinking game. Every time someone says his name, take a drink. It's going to be a long night.

Redsfaithful
07-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Our commentators treat it like the Macy's parade. I couldn't stand the talking during the opening ceremony itself.

"And now we're seeing how England went from a pastoral country to an Industrial country."

Im pretty sure that was obvious. It was like someone stopping and pointing out the significance of ROSEBUD. Just awful.

They helpfully pointed out at one point that the rest of the world calls soccer football.

texasdave
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
The New Olympic Ideal. Lose on purpose.

Eight female badminton doubles players were disqualified Wednesday from the London Olympics after trying to lose matches to receive a more favorable place in the tournament.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/08/01/badminton-doubles-throwing-matches.ap/index.html#ixzz22J9LhpwL

HeatherC1212
08-01-2012, 11:37 AM
US WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS TEAM WON THE GOLD MEDAL!!!!! :jump:

I'm happy for Phelps breaking the medals record and all (dude is a beast :eek:) but this is the moment last night that made me bawl happy tears for like twenty minutes. :) I am SO proud of those girls for being such tough and classy competitors last night and they've done this for the last few years really so it wasn't even a total surprise to me. They're rock solid! They're probably the most complete team we've sent to the Olympics since the Mag 7 and it's only fitting that they join them as the only two women's Olys teams to ever grab the Olympic team gold medal. Congrats girls!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

BTW-I think they're on Twitter overload today and it's so freaking hilarious! :laugh: They got tweeted by Justin Beiber this morning (they're all big fans) in addition to Lady Gaga, they've done every single interview you can imagine, and then Obama called all of them to congratulate them just a little while ago. Girls...this is it, your life has changed forever! So happy for them! :thumbup:

BuckeyeRed27
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
The gymnastics last night was awesome. I'm terrible with names, but when the girl that only did the vault and went last did her vault, my jaw literally dropped. Just amazing.

I know a lot of people complain about the tape delay stuff, but honestly I wouldn't have stayed up that late to watch it last night had I not known they were going to win.

Joseph
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
China is spanking us in this medal count thing.

KronoRed
08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
China is spanking us in this medal count thing.

30 to 29?

US has the advantage going into next week with all the track and field events.

I've been watching the live stuff, I can't believe how much badminton the games have.

Brutus
08-02-2012, 02:27 AM
The badminton scandal is so riveting. I never knew badminton could be so cut-throat.

MWM
08-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I don't especially enjoy watching gymnastics, but I am in awe when I do. The things they can do, and flawlessly, are incredible to me. There are a lot of great athletes in the major sports we all watch, but when I watch gymnasts I always think I'm watching the best athletes in the world, and by a large margin.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
My two cents here. If there is the word "Synchronized" in the name of your event, it is not a sport.

KronoRed
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
My two cents here. If there is the word "Synchronized" in the name of your event, it is not a sport.

I watched those events for an hour yesterday and I could not tell the difference between the people doing well and those doing badly, I did eventually figure out that making any sort of splash is a nono :D

texasdave
08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
And what is an Olympiad without a truly disgraceful boxing decision?

http://deadspin.com/5931226/was-this-disgraceful-olympic-boxing-match-fixed

BuckeyeRed27
08-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not watching, but unless the internet is playing a joke on me the men's basketball team just set the Olympic record for points in a game with about 5minutes go and lead Nigeria 139-68. Ouch.

texasdave
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I believe they broke the century mark in the third quarter. I thought the graphic must have been wrong. I guess not.

Hoosier Red
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I've heard rumblings that FIBA is going to make Olympic basketball like Olympic soccer where the teams competing are U-23 and not necessarily true senior national teams. I think I'd really like that.

In hindsight, I almost wish after the Dream Team in '92, the US went back to using a college all-star team to make that anomoly stand out even more.

5TimeWSChamps
08-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Federer serving to beat Del Potro in a classic.

3-6, 7-6, 18-17 so far

IslandRed
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I've heard rumblings that FIBA is going to make Olympic basketball like Olympic soccer where the teams competing are U-23 and not necessarily true senior national teams. I think I'd really like that.

In hindsight, I almost wish after the Dream Team in '92, the US went back to using a college all-star team to make that anomoly stand out even more.

I could go for the U23 proposal. But until then, as long as other countries are sending their best, I want the U.S. to send its best.

texasdave
08-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Amazing play plus Brazilian women. Sounds postable to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/brazil-volleyball-kick-save_n_1735325.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D187789

MWM
08-03-2012, 01:52 PM
wow, had no idea that was legal. But pretty spectacular play.

NJReds
08-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Serena Williams dominates her way to Olympic gold. Beat Sharapova 6-0, 6-1 in the final.

UPSET ALERT: USA hoops leading Lithuania 69-67 w/3 minutes left in the third.

NJReds
08-04-2012, 11:11 AM
US leads Lithuania 95-88 w. 2:30 min left.

Good soccer game, too. Senegal and Mexico tied 2-2.

NJReds
08-04-2012, 11:20 AM
US hoops wins with a late run ... 99-94. I think they can stop comparing themselves to the Dream Team, now.

texasdave
08-04-2012, 11:36 AM
What has happened to American amateur boxing? Last gold medal was 2004. One bronze in 2008. Only one boxer left standing in 2012.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_BOX_US_MEN_ELIMINATED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-03-18-10-09

Mutaman
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=texasdave;2692031]What has happened to American amateur boxing? Last gold medal was 2004. One bronze in 2008. Only one boxer left standing in 2012.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_BOX_US_MEN_ELIMINATED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-03-18-10-09[/QUOTE

Kids who used to become boxers are now becoming football players.

RBA
08-04-2012, 12:24 PM
What has happened to American amateur boxing? Last gold medal was 2004. One bronze in 2008. Only one boxer left standing in 2012.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OLY_BOX_US_MEN_ELIMINATED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-03-18-10-09

It's all the meds getting in our water supply.

dougdirt
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
US hoops wins with a late run ... 99-94. I think they can stop comparing themselves to the Dream Team, now.

World Basketball in 2012 is insanely better than World Basketball in 1992. Comparing the two by 'won by' isn't a fair comparison at all.

texasdave
08-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Hats off to Galen Rupp, who finished second in the 10,000 meters. :beerme:

http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf/2012/08/london_olympics_mo_farah_galen.html

texasdave
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Women's tennis domination!!

Williams wore a smile herself after she became only the second woman to achieve a Golden Slam, winning the most lopsided women's final in Olympic history Saturday by beating Maria Sharapova 6-0, 6-1.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/08/04/serena-williams-wins-gold/index.html#ixzz22cCgmJHx

RBA
08-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Wow, these women are vicious in water polo. USA vs. Italy.

dougdirt
08-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Justin Gatlin just ran a 9.82 100M and he was looking to both sides over the last 15M. He won his semi and onto the finals. Bolt is about to run.

dougdirt
08-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Wow. Bolt runs a 9.87 and he was going easy over the last 30M after grabbing a huge lead.

Ohayou
08-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, Bolt looks the goods.

dougdirt
08-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Blake and Gay ran 9.85 and 9.90 as they were cruising after separating themselves from their heat. Should be an awesome final.

paintmered
08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Blake and Gay ran 9.85 and 9.90 as they were cruising after separating themselves from their heat. Should be an awesome final.

And like the fool that I am, I went to ESPN to see what time they'd run the final. Of course, the event has already happened and the result spoiled for me.

So if you want to watch the final on NBC tonight (I'm guessing they don't show it until around 11:00 tonight), stay the heck away from the internet.

paintmered
08-05-2012, 11:10 PM
10 minutes after 11:00 and here we go. Thanks, NBC.

improbus
08-05-2012, 11:16 PM
And like the fool that I am, I went to ESPN to see what time they'd run the final. Of course, the event has already happened and the result spoiled for me.

So if you want to watch the final on NBC tonight (I'm guessing they don't show it until around 11:00 tonight), stay the heck away from the internet.

I did the same thing you did. It is sad, because this is the only event I care about (well, and the 200). If the Derby is the most exciting 2 minutes in sports, the 100 is the most exciting 9.?? in sports.

paintmered
08-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, that was anti-climatic for anyone not choosing to live like it's 1989. It's a shame. The 100 is far and away my favorite event of the games, and I couldn't care less this year because of it.

It's sucked out most of the emotion from the games for me.

15fan
08-06-2012, 02:23 AM
A few thoughts from London.

1). I'm coming back in 4 years just to watch their coverage. It's great. They show the events all day every day. No fluff. No commercials. Just events.

2) We were at track & field 2 nights ago when GB won gold in the heptathlon, M long jump, and M 10k. It was nuts. Search for the video of the BBC crew cheering for Mo Farrah at the end of the 10,000 meters. Multiply that by everyone in the stadium.

3) We sat in row 1 for a quarterfinal soccer match in Wembley Stadium. I could have spit on the corner flag, that's how close we were. I'm not a big soccer fan, but after sitting that close to the field, I can sure appreciate the game a lot more.

Men's volleyball today, preceded by a tour at Buckingham Palace.

Life is good.

Yachtzee
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM

1). I'm coming back in 4 years just to watch their coverage. It's great. They show the events all day every day. No fluff. No commercials. Just events.

2) We were at track & field 2 nights ago when GB won gold in the heptathlon, M long jump, and M 10k. It was nuts. Search for the video of the BBC crew cheering for Mo Farrah at the end of the 10,000 meters. Multiply that by everyone in the stadium.

3) We sat in row 1 for a quarterfinal soccer match in Wembley Stadium. I could have spit on the corner flag, that's how close we were. I'm not a big soccer fan, but after sitting that close to the field, I can sure appreciate the game a lot more.

Men's volleyball today, preceded by a tour at Buckingham Palace.

Life is good.

Of course it's not a trip to London until you've gone through a roundabout saying, "Hey kids! Big Ben, Parliament!"

paintmered
08-06-2012, 05:31 PM

The BBC is commercial-free all the time. But the flip-side of that is that UK citizens have to pay an annual licensing fee of over $200 per color television.

dougdirt
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
For those of you who didn't see the US/Canada womens soccer match..... you missed a great one.

texasdave
08-06-2012, 06:46 PM
The US men did not have a single runner in the 400-meter finals. Amazing. Staggering even.

paintmered
08-06-2012, 07:31 PM
The US men did not have a single runner in the 400-meter finals. Amazing. Staggering even.

Wow. And to think it wasn't long ago the US had the top seven ranked runners in the world in this event and swept the medals.

texasdave
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Wow. And to think it wasn't long ago the US had the top seven ranked runners in the world in this event and swept the medals.

Here is an article on how dominant the US has been at this event.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/seven-straight-golds-400-meters-u-fails-produce-153815495--oly.html

KronoRed
08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
The BBC is commercial-free all the time. But the flip-side of that is that UK citizens have to pay an annual licensing fee of over $200 per color television.

Eh, $16.60 a month is about what HBO costs, I'd pay it :D

knuckleballah22
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
For those of you who didn't see the US/Canada womens soccer match..... you missed a great one.

Yeah that was an awesome game.

texasdave
08-08-2012, 07:43 PM
More of that Olympic Spirit on display during the France-Spain basketball game. Nicholas Batum. OUCH!!

The greatest generation of French basketball had fallen short yet again as Nicolas Batum ran across the court to foul Juan-Carlos Navarro, the captain of Spain, with 23 seconds remaining Wednesday. Batum's right hand formed a fist. Instead of reaching in to foul, he threw a punch that missed the ball but found Navarro's groin, promptly knocking him to the floor.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/08/08/spain-france-quarterfinals/index.html#ixzz2308hGA4w

improbus
08-08-2012, 07:58 PM
More of that Olympic Spirit on display during the France-Spain basketball game. Nicholas Batum. OUCH!!

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/08/08/spain-france-quarterfinals/index.html#ixzz2308hGA4w

I feel like cheap shots and dirty play are way more prevalent in International Hoops than the NBA.

texasdave
08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I feel like cheap shots and dirty play are way more prevalent in International Hoops than the NBA.

No doubt. But with the whole world watching can't they give it a rest during the Olympics?

Danny Serafini
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Anyone watching the BMX racing right now? It's like a demolition derby.

HeatherC1212
08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
So happy Allyson Felix finally got an individual gold in the 200M last night! :D

texasdave
08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Manteo Mitchell told The Associated Press he had about half a lap to go when he felt a popping in his left leg.He finished the lap in 46.1 seconds and helped the Americans to a tie for first with the Bahamas in 2 minutes, 58.87 seconds. A few hours later, doctors told him he had a broken left fibula.

"I got out pretty slow, but I picked it up and when I got to the 100-meter mark it felt weird," he said. "I was thinking I just didn't feel right. As soon as I took the first step past the 200-meter mark, I felt it break. I heard it. I even put out a little war cry, but the crowd was so loud you couldn't hear it. I wanted to just lie down. It felt like somebody literally just snapped my leg in half."

Manteo Mitchell is the man. Bringing it on home with a broken leg. :beerme:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcsHbaNWBs1XiQaagouqyCDgeU0A5oO dob9HqEgu8tUfZZgX6wLA

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/08/09/us-relay-broken-leg.ap/index.html#ixzz234r3cjGO

RBA
08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
The "MODERN" Pentathlon includes fencing?

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/raiders-sword_l.jpg

Joseph
08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
England should be proud of the show it put on.

15fan
08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
When the Chinese government edits the closing ceremony for broadcast, it's going to be about 10 minutes long.

Wonderful Monds
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Always hate to see the games end.

redsfan30
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM

As do I. I didn't get to watch as much of this year's games as I had hoped to but I am still feeling a bit sad that they are over and gone for another four years.

KronoRed
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Same here, I wish they went a month, with the events spread out a little more.

BungleBengals
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I didn't watch much of the Olympics this year, but I heard NBC butchered the broadcasts of some of the more popular events.