PDA

View Full Version : Bunting

Vottomatic
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
The Reds major league hitters aren't very good at bunting.

Is this an organizational problem that needs to be addressed in the farm system? I think so.

They went so far as to institute taking the first pitch years ago. Why not make these guys bunt quite a bit in the farm system so they are prepared when they get up here?

Raisor
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I was an awesome bunter in little league.

bellhead
07-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The Reds major league hitters aren't very good at bunting.

Is this an organizational problem that needs to be addressed in the farm system? I think so.

They went so far as to institute taking the first pitch years ago. Why not make these guys bunt quite a bit in the farm system so they are prepared when they get up here?

They need to skip the minors ala Mike Leake our best bunter...:laugh:

DGullett35
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
This Reds team struggles with more than just bunting. All the little things an offense should do this team struggles at. Moving runners over, hitting sac. flys ect. ect. ect. All these little things are the difference in our record in one run losses. I feel that this is something that needs to be taught in the minor leagues. Heck when I played in high school our manager preached these things. This offense needs a couple guys at the top of the order who can do these things. Juan Pierre and David DeJesus strike me as 2 guys that can get the job done.

AtomicDumpling
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
The team would score more runs if they quit trying to bunt, quit trying to advance runners by hitting to the opposite side, quit trying to hit sacrifice flies, quit trying to execute the hit and run, and quit trying to steal bases. It is quite obvious that these situational small ball tactics do not work very well. They need to go to the plate trying to get on base every time. That is how the teams that score the most runs over the years do things. Small ball tactics are for teams that have poor hitting skills. Small ball is a poor substitute for OBP skills and slugging skills. If you don't have good hitters you are tempted to use stunts. Any time you make outs on the basepaths or intentionally make an out with a sacrifice you are making the opposing pitcher's job so much easier. The Reds waste a tremendous number of outs doing foolish things. If they made a better effort to conserve their outs they would score more runs and be involved in fewer one run games.

Far East
07-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Dusty's position in the dugout does not give him the best view of the failed bunts.

The center field camera gives a better perspective, particularly when the bunter is attempting to move the runner from 2nd to 3rd. The bunter needs to almost point the tip of his bat towards first base in order to angle the bunt towards third.

So many opposing pitchers keep the pitch so far outside that the bat doesn't reach the ball or can only push it towards 1B or the pitcher.

I wonder if the team employs the high school tactic of practicing bunting with a large hole drilled in the bat's sweet spot to allow the pitched ball to "pass through?"

Or the small fielder's glove glued to the sweet spot to develop the bunter's ability to "catch" the pitched ball, not to poke at it.

If Dusty were serious about it, he could cancel batting practice for a day or two and do nothing but bunting practice.

Not just "practice makes perfect," but "perfect practice makes perfect."

I think that I just invented an old saying.;)

Tony Cloninger
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
The team would score more runs if they quit trying to bunt, quit trying to advance runners by hitting to the opposite side, quit trying to hit sacrifice flies, quit trying to execute the hit and run, and quit trying to steal bases. It is quite obvious that these situational small ball tactics do not work very well. They need to go to the plate trying to get on base every time. That is how the teams that score the most runs over the years do things. Small ball tactics are for teams that have poor hitting skills. Small ball is a poor substitute for OBP skills and slugging skills. If you don't have good hitters you are tempted to use stunts. Any time you make outs on the basepaths or intentionally make an out with a sacrifice you are making the opposing pitcher's job so much easier. The Reds waste a tremendous number of outs doing foolish things. If they made a better effort to conserve their outs they would score more runs and be involved in fewer one run games.

Would you not say that this team is for the most part.....filled with poor skilled hitters? I would..... but i still hate small ball unless it's late in the game and it is your best chance of winning a game with non-power hitters coming to the plate.

RedlegJake
07-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Myth about small ball its for poor hitters. No its not. The original concept is for highly skilled high OBP type hitters. That's why modern small ball tactics usually fail. In the 60s and earlier when a position player bunted he had a darn good chance of beating it out because he was a darn good bunter. Managers did not call on their 3-4-5 hitters to bunt. That was for guys with some speed and not much power in order to move guys around. But it was always done with an eye on a chance at getting a hit out of it too - like pulling back the bat and slapping the ball past the infielders at the last moment, something you rarely see anymore because players don't practice it. You have to hit to play good small ball. Pick your moments and also pick the percentages when they are in your favor to pull things. Is the infield back and they don't expect a bunt? Well can you lay one halfway down the line and can you run halfway well? Sure hit if you can. But that's actually looked down on today. Gimmicky. It'll take a Rose like personality that is popular enough to do it well and often and not give a damn what players or press think as long as it works to bring it back. Not sure it'll ever happen. But yes - small ball as they play it today is a poor substitute for what it is actually is.

Redhook
07-08-2012, 07:59 AM
The team would score more runs if they quit trying to bunt

I agree. It's one thing to bunt a guy over with the game tied in the bottom of the 9th, but wasting outs in the early innings is complete insansity.

And, to top it off, the team is horrendous at bunting which makes Dusty's poor strategy look even worse.

I wish we could go to bizarro world and see how much better their record would be this year if they didn't bunt at all. It might not be much better, but it certainly wouldn't be worse.