PDA

View Full Version : Soda vs. pop

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Where do you live and which one do you say?

I live in Cincinnati and say "soda" exclusively. Spending a few years out west and having friends from mostly California, Colorado and New York rid me of saying "pop" altogether. In Cincy, I'd say it's about 65/35 "pop" over "soda." I've not once heard someone say "coke" in a generic way referring to all soft drinks. That seems weird to me.

Amazingly, someone took the time to study, county by county, what everyone in the U.S. says:

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html

Incidentally, my favorite soda is Diet Pepsi, though strangely enough at restaurants I'll order Diet Coke because that's just what most have. At the store, I'll always buy Diet Pepsi.

UKFlounder
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I live in Northern Kentucky and say "Coke." If the restaurant serves Pepsi and say "Sorry we only have Pepsi products" I'll say Pepsi and just think "same difference" though I know they are not.

I know many people who do the same thing

If not "coke" I hear "soft drink" but I rarely hear "soda" or, especially "pop."

And on that survey, 21 of the 53 in Campbell County also said Coke, the most of any of the choices. I fit right in :)

UKFlounder
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM
double post

Captain13
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I live in Louisville, and I say Coke or soft drink. And yes "what kind of Coke do you want?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

westofyou
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Grew up in Michigan where it was always "pop" that changed when I moved west, then it was soda

Texas is a big coke place

dougdirt
07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I live in Cincinnati and the only people I have ever known to say Soda were relatives from Minnesota. I say pop, but only when it is something like 'we need pop from the store' because everyone knows what I drink.

RichRed
07-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I live in Va. Beach and say "soda," which seems to be the prevalent choice in these parts (VB, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Hampton, Suffolk, Newport News, Williamsburg). I am a little surprised to see that "coke" runs a fairly close second.

redsmetz
07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I always say Pop and still equate "soda" with ice cream sodas. My wife grew up in mid-Missouri and they say soda, but she now says pop too. When I'm at a restaurant, I always just ask for a diet cola since I know they have to correct it to the brand.

When we were at U.S. Bank Arena last Saturday, I was surprised that they only had Diet Rite. I hadn't had one of those in years after they changed the formula and it was dreadful. The guy was good enough to give me a sample and they seemed to have learned from their error of their ways.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I always say Pop and still equate "soda" with ice cream sodas. My wife grew up in mid-Missouri and they say soda, but she now says pop too. When I'm at a restaurant, I always just ask for a diet cola since I know they have to correct it to the brand.

When we were at U.S. Bank Arena last Saturday, I was surprised that they only had Diet Rite. I hadn't had one of those in years after they changed the formula and it was dreadful. The guy was good enough to give me a sample and they seemed to have learned from their error of their ways.

That's bad, but seems to fit the lackluster profile of US Bank Arena.

IslandRed
07-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I live in Louisville, and I say Coke or soft drink. And yes "what kind of Coke do you want?" is a perfectly reasonable question.

Same here, at least when I was growing up. Once I got a little older and my soft drink preference changed to something that wasn't regular Coke, I learned to be specific. And now that we have a family of four, each of whom has different preferences, we just call it a drink, with the meaning determined by who's asking for it. (Since the two kids are pretty young still, "drink" is understood to be a non-alcoholic term -- adult beverages are asked for by name.)

westofyou
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Most distributors offer a Coke or Pepsi line, the third line in PDX is the AMC of soft drink packages, Diet Rite, RC Cola, A&W, an orange drink that escapes me and Ginger Ale

15fan
07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
In my neck of the woods, the Pepsi delivery trucks travel under armed guard. The drivers wear kevlar vests and make deliveries in the dark of night.

I once saw a guy try to order a Pepsi in a restaurant. He got decked by an 85 year old lady who just came from her Sunday church service. She stood over him like a triumphant Muhammad Ali in his prime, spit in the guy's face, then returned to her plate of biscuits, gravy and sweet tea.

And I must say that it's all for good reason. That Pepsi stuff is vile. More vile than Jim Edmonds, Tony LaRussa and Bud Selig combined.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather drink warm asparagus urine than a Pepsi.

Proper etiquette demands that if you are going to offer someone a soft drink, you offer them a Coke. Period.

If you have a problem with that, then "Delta's ready when you are."

Raisor
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I say "coke" or "pop"

marcshoe
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I pretty muchsay pop exclusively. I'vebeen hearing v soda a surprising amount the last couple of years.

sonny
07-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I was in a rock band in the early 2000s called Soda vs Pop. We got signed to a small label and even put on a movie soundtrack for a film called "Orphans and Angels". It's a terrible movie, but the band thing was a blast.

redsmetz
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Most distributors offer a Coke or Pepsi line, the third line in PDX is the AMC of soft drink packages, Diet Rite, RC Cola, A&W, an orange drink that escapes me and Ginger Ale

Orange Crush?

Ohayou
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/popvssodamap.gif

07-11-2012, 02:11 AM
I am from about 80 minutes northwest of Cincinnati, north of Greensburg. I mostly heard Coke growing up, as in if asked what kind of Coke I wanted, I asked for Mountain Dew or Dr Pepper. Pop was used alot to though.

marcshoe
07-11-2012, 02:29 AM
First people I ever heard use coke for everything were Texans, who seemed a lot like space aliens to us WVians.

I'll bet those people who mostly use other (according to the map) are really confusing. I'll have a hamburger, fries, and an other, please?

Chip R
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/popvssodamap.gif

I think it's hilarious that Iowa is all pop except for one county that says soda. From just eyeballing it it looks like it could be Johnson County - where the University of Iowa is. Or, as one person called it, "The People's Republic of Johnson County." :laugh: From what I can figure, the University of Iowa gets a lot more people from out of state than the other universities.

reds1869
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I live in Cincinnati and say "pop" exclusively. I've experienced the same in West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina and Wisconsin. My sister lives in Boston and has converted to "soda."

WildcatFan
07-11-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm in Lexington, and it's all Coke to me. Most servers around here don't even correct you if they only serve Pepsi products. The beauty of it is, if they serve both, you're always going to get Coca-Cola, which is the right one anyway.

medford
07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I've heard (or perhaps read at some point, can't recall) that Dayton is a big test market for Pepsi as its one of the few areas in the mid west that had a preference towards Pepsi products. It was why Dayton was choosen as one of the test markets for Pepsi clear. Don't know how true that is/was at the time, but its always stuck with me.

Personally, I prefer Pepsi over Coke, but Diet Coke (which I lean towards choosing amongst all sodas anyways) over Diet Pepsi.

Spazzrico
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I use this map in my introductory geography classes. It's very accurate based on their responses.

SunDeck
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I use this map in my introductory geography classes. It's very accurate based on their responses.

So, from the geographer's perspective, what does this tell us? I've always wondered.

TeamCasey
07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Upstate New York and it's soda!

Spazzrico
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
So, from the geographer's perspective, what does this tell us? I've always wondered.

I don't use it to analyze too much really, but just to get my students to think through linguistic (dialect) differences. Although I do have them think why North Carolina is such a jumble (presence of other dominant drinks like Pepsi) and Coke is such a force in the South due to Coke's presence in Atlanta.....I don't know too much about the history of the terms per se, but I can say it helps when I have them think about historical migration patterns (See how southern Florida is the same as North East). I find the line running through Appalachia is interesting, but I can't explain it much other than that the region as a physical barrier had some sort of impact as a cultural one. Also it is fun to use when I ask them how they define where the South is located....many use "Coke" and sweet tea as a means of defining their own vernacular geography.

SunDeck
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
While you're at it, please figure out why they "mash" buttons and "cut on" the lights in North Carolina. .

redsmetz
07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I've heard (or perhaps read at some point, can't recall) that Dayton is a big test market for Pepsi as its one of the few areas in the mid west that had a preference towards Pepsi products. It was why Dayton was choosen as one of the test markets for Pepsi clear. Don't know how true that is/was at the time, but its always stuck with me.

Personally, I prefer Pepsi over Coke, but Diet Coke (which I lean towards choosing amongst all sodas anyways) over Diet Pepsi.

Dayton was often used as the test market for products being viewed by manufacturers as the most average city in the country. I don't know if this is still the case, but it was back in the 60's and 70's, as I recall.

wolfboy
07-11-2012, 05:17 PM
It's always been soda to me. I was raised in Cincinnati, but my mother grew up outside of Boston.

Red in Chicago
07-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Until I switched to diet about 15 years ago, it was always "Coke" for me. Now I say Diet Coke for everything even when I know they have Pepsi.

Everyone here in Chicago says pop. I work with several New Yorkers and travel there often, so I do find myself saying soda more often.

Cant Touch This
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Really, people should just say "cola" but I suppose that's a bit hoity toity. "Pop" and "soda" can mean anything from cola, orange, lemon-lime and root beer to ice cream sodas and Canada Dry - but "cola" truly defines the type of drink you want.

Given that, I never say "cola."

I grew up in Cincy but have lived in Michigan for the past ten years. It's always been "Coke" when I order a cola, and "pop" when I refer to soft drinks in generic language. I never say soda.

On a somewhat related note, I have never said "sofa" unless I'm reading it in a book (it's always "couch", and never a davenport) and I also never say "supper" (it's "dinner.")

Tom Servo
07-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Born and raised in northern New Jersey and it was always, 100% soda. It wasn't until I started to see these conversations on the internet that I learned many didn't use the word soda.

KronoRed
07-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I grew up in Florida and it was always Soda or Coke, I didn't encounter the bizarre 'pop' phrase until I got to Cincy, in North Carolina it's Soda.

OldRightHander
07-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I've always said pop, have a lot of relatives who say soda, and always was disturbed by the use of a brand name in a generic sense, so I would never say Coke unless I actually want Coke. I don't call all tissues Kleenex either.

blumj
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I was born in NY, we called it soda, but when we moved to Massachusetts, they called it tonic, which was pretty confusing in the beginning. That weird tasting unsweetened stuff grownups make cocktails with? No, thanks. Then, the other kids are all drinking cokes, and you're wondering why they only offered you the icky stuff. Now, I honestly can't remember the last time I heard someone use anything that wasn't a specific brand or flavor.

Raisor
07-12-2012, 06:16 PM
my all time favorite soft drink is Fanta Red Cream Soda that in Indiana was called "Red Pop", which is how I think of it.

I demand the return of it to the market place.

Now!

RichRed
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
my all time favorite soft drink is Fanta Red Cream Soda that in Indiana was called "Red Pop", which is how I think of it.

Now!

Cherry Lemon Sundrop for me, though I rarely drink pop soda soft drinks any more. That stuff was delicious.

foxfire123
07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Pop. And even after 18 years in hell... errr Missouri, I stubbornly refuse to call it "soda".

TeamSelig
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
SE Indiana and I say pop

westofyou
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Now!

It's called Red Pop because Michigan's Faygo drink company actually has a red cream soda called Red Pop

I didn't know there was a red cream soda until I was 15, I thought it was always called Red Pop

George Anderson
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
We call it coke.

I remember going to visit my cousins in Iowa as a kid and them calling it a pop. I had no clue what he was saying.

cumberlandreds
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I grew up in SE Ky calling it pop. Since moving to the DC area over 20 years ago I have transitioned to the yankee way of calling it soda most of the time. One reason I have gone over to calling is soda is that when I go into a fast food place and order a Coke I would invariably be handed a cone of ice cream instead.
Used to be in SW Va soda was called dope. My brother-in-law who is from Bristol, Va would call it that every now and then. But that term, for obvious reasons, has all but died away.

PickOff
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I grew up outside of Dayton and said pop until I moved to Chicago. There I only ordered beer, liquor, or wine and I didn't start referring to carbonated beverages again until I moved to DC, where I now say soda. ;)

What I really want to know is what is with all the "other"? Is that where people are just ultra specific and never generically refer to anything? Or do they just say, "I'll have an other, please"?

WVPacman
07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Well me being born and raised in West Virginia me and my whole family say pop.

Spitball
07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I grew up in Massachusetts and in the 1950s and early 1960s the term we used was tonic. I think it is fading from use now, but I have relatives in Maine who still use the term.

BPhil4
07-21-2012, 11:35 PM
My wife just got back today from a tdy at Beale AFB and she said she went to a restaurant and asked what kind of pop they had and he handed her the beer menu. She said sorry what kind of soda. Lol

Scrap Irony
07-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I had a roommate in college who called any type of cola "erl". He also called beer "erl". He was from the mountains. If he wanted a ride to the store to get "erl," he'd ask you to "curry" him to the store.

He was weird.

BPhil4
07-22-2012, 12:31 AM
I had a roommate in college who called any type of cola "erl". He also called beer "erl". He was from the mountains. If he wanted a ride to the store to get "erl," he'd ask you to "curry" him to the store.

He was weird.

Lol wow

BCubb2003
07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I grew up outside of Dayton and said pop until I moved to Chicago. There I only ordered beer, liquor, or wine and I didn't start referring to carbonated beverages again until I moved to DC, where I now say soda. ;)

What I really want to know is what is with all the "other"? Is that where people are just ultra specific and never generically refer to anything? Or do they just say, "I'll have an other, please"?

Those are the people who say "Ale 8" ...

Yachtzee
07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Always pop growing up. In Summit Co., Oh., our linguistic peculiarity is referring to the strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk as the "devil strip." Supposedly it's unique to our area.

Hollcat
07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
In se Ky we always called it pop. I always assumed that was a southern thing. While in the Navy in Norfolk/ va beach it was referred to as soda but that came from other military people who were from everywhere. Now I again refer to it as pop though I would guess around here Mt. Dew outsells any other "pop" 2/1.

Larry Schuler
07-28-2012, 07:00 AM
I call it "slappy pappy fizz".