PDA

View Full Version : Really Good Votto Article from Toronto

reds44
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
http://thestar.blogs.com/baseball/2012/07/griffin-spotlight-still-not-shining-on-joey-votto-and-he-loves-it.html

kaldaniels
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
He outs himself as a Baseball Reference reader...nice.

Sabo Fan
07-10-2012, 08:39 PM
$250 million is still a little scary to invest in one guy, but I'm glad it's him. Love the comment about not giving away at-bats.

mattfeet
07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
$250 million is still a little scary to invest in one guy, but I'm glad it's him. Love the comment about not giving away at-bats.

I agree. There's MAYBE 2-3 other players Id be comfortable investing that money into, and Votto is at the top of the list. Hands down.

-Matt

MikeS21
07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
lol! Think he admires Albert Pujols?

HeatherC1212
07-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Great article! :)

WildcatFan
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Here's another article from that interview. Votto got jokes. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/09/spotlight-hits-votto-at-all-star-game

• A Pittsburgh TV station asked how Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutcheon has grown in stature. “A statue? They built a statue for him? Andrew and Willie Stargell?”

• A Washington radio asked about Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond. “I’m happy he’s doing so well, he’s a good friend, we live 20 minutes from each other near Sarasota. I hope he earns some money so he can finally pick up a dinner. Like I told our neighbour Josh Roenicke (pitching in the Colorado Rockies bullpen) you’re going to get out of triple-A and buy a second car. I’m tired of picking you up all the time.”

• A Japanese TV crew asked Votto which current all-star he’d like to go for dinner with. “Some guys here I know, but I’d rather go to eat with someone I’ve never met before, like George Brett or Barry Bonds.”

• FUSE radio asked Votto his favourite type of music? “I prefer it quiet,” said Votto. “Why’s that?” asked the radio guy. “I prefer it quiet.”

• An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

• Is he for or against instant replays? “I don’t mind the home run replay, but anything else ... I’m not a fan. The umps do a good job, if there are mistakes they are on both side. Besides more replays would make us all late for dinner reservations.”

HeatherC1212
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's another article from that interview. Votto got jokes. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/09/spotlight-hits-votto-at-all-star-game

Haha! Those are awesome! It was inevitable that I would steal that skating quote for my signature too, LOL :lol:

cumberlandreds
07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Both good articles. Shows the human side of him that we don't see on the playing field. I hope he stays as humble as is now for the rest of his career. I believe he will. He seems to be a very decent human being.

Mario-Rijo
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Both good articles. Shows the human side of him that we don't see on the playing field. I hope he stays as humble as is now for the rest of his career. I believe he will. He seems to be a very decent human being.

I don't think there is any question he will stay humble. What I worry more about is him becoming angry with the Reds F.O./ownership at some point for continually making poor decisions that will eventually lead to a lack of postseason opportunities. I'm still angry they signed a 30 something 2B who relies heavily on his athleticism for alot of his value to such a large deal, even if he is deserving of such a deal. That deal will haunt us and Votto forever IMO. Or at least until they get a monster TV deal, maybe that will keep it from being completely brutal.

Phhhl
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
I just don't think Phillips' deal is prohibitive. Baseball is blowing up right now, and all teams are going to benefit in short order. Congratulations to the Reds for recognizing that and taking advantage of it.

But, Joey's legend just continues to evolve. It is awesome that he he is so mindful of Ted Williams, and Baseball Reference, and what Pujols did with the Cardinals. It is wrong to think he is awestruck by any of it. He is just absorbing it all, and translating it into success. Truly a thinking man's superstar.

Degenerate39
07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
lol! Think he admires Albert Pujols?

Move over George Grande