PDA

View Full Version : Fort Myers job offer... thoughts?



cincrazy
07-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Ok Redszone here's the deal. I've been offered a teaching job at a charter school in Fort Myers, Florida. It pays 34,000 a year. Here's the kicker: they want me there by July 23rd for training, and students come on August 6th. They're willing to hire me over the phone, without meeting me in person first. They're not providing any relocation costs. I currently live in Ohio, and make substantially less than 34,000 a year. I don't have any money saved up for this, nor will I have any time to find a place in Fort Myers before going out there.

I don't have any experience as a teacher, only as a substitute. I've never done a lesson plan, don't have any experience with curriculum... should I take the job? Should I turn it down? Right now I'm leaning towards declining. But haven't decided for sure. Any opinions? Anyone familiar with the cost of living in Fort Myers?

Redsfan08
07-11-2012, 12:29 AM
This very possibly could be the best deal you ever get.

WMR
07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Take it. Rent the cheapest furnished apartment you can find and bank every dollar you can. Try it for a year and if it absolutely sucks, you should at least have a bunch more $$$ in the bank account.

camisadelgolf
07-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Yup. Go for it. Life's short, and you only live once.
http://www.remezcla.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbs/38313-wppt_main_1458738115.jpg

Roy Tucker
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
If teching is what you want to do, don't wait, take the job NOW.

Yeah, it seems a little odd they'd hire off the phone and you don't have any experience (do you have a degree?), but what the hell. Step up to the plate and take your cuts. You'll never get a better opportunity.

I have a former colleague that lives in Ft Myers and he loves it. I've only driven through it but it looks nice. Just rent a cheap place and give it a try. What are you waiting for?

hebroncougar
07-11-2012, 10:20 AM
I have taught for 17 years. If they are offering you that salary for a first job, I'd jump on it. Not many schools are hiring. And there is no state income tax. That's a major plus.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

medford
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I think it comes down to a few things.

1) what are your other job prospects
2) do you actually want to teach
3) do you actually want to live in Florida
4) how stable is this charter school? Hiring an unexperienced teacher over the phone sounds a little off to me (non meaning to offend, perhaps you're just that good in a phone interview), you'd think they'd want to at least meet you face to face, make sure you want to live in the area and are willing to relocate.

pedro
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
The worst thing that'll happen is you'll quit and never want mention it again.

OTOH, maybe you'll love it.

I think you should take it.

cincrazy
07-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm still on the fence. There are a few issues I'm dealing with presently:

One, is my health. They need a decision quickly, but I've been battling a severe double ear infection as well as vertigo, and I have no idea when this is going to let up. Under my present condition, there's probably no way I'd be able to successfully teach. Yes, it should be gone by then. But the doctors aren't really giving me any answers.

Secondly, my best friend's girlfriend has several contacts in Columbus, and is trying to get me on there. My heart is absolutely torn between home, and the beach. I want to make sure if I take the Fort Myers position, it's for the right reasons. Not just because it's fun and the weather is great.

And medford I took no offense to what you said. I also wonder what the turnover rate is at the school. I actually asked if I could come down and check things out, and she more or less told me they were too busy to do any hosting, which sent off a warning flair for me.

I appreciate all of the input. I can't really say which way I'm leaning right now. I need to decide by tomorrow.

medford
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
The worst thing that'll happen is you'll quit and never want mention it again.

OTOH, maybe you'll love it.

I think you should take it.

Not even close to being true.

Worst thing that could happen is they get him to move down there, rent an appartment with a 12 month obligation (or penalty for early move out), start slow paying him after a couple of months and put him in a bind financially in an area I'll assume he knows few people.

If this was in his backyard, and he could maintain his current residence, or live with someone he knows until he's satisfied that the job is stable, that is one thing, but he's moving a long way for someone he's never meet face to face. I'll assume he's never seen the facilities, talked to any potential co workers, etc... There is a lot more risk than just not liking the job.

medford
07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm still on the fence. There are a few issues I'm dealing with presently:

One, is my health. They need a decision quickly, but I've been battling a severe double ear infection as well as vertigo, and I have no idea when this is going to let up. Under my present condition, there's probably no way I'd be able to successfully teach. Yes, it should be gone by then. But the doctors aren't really giving me any answers.

Secondly, my best friend's girlfriend has several contacts in Columbus, and is trying to get me on there. My heart is absolutely torn between home, and the beach. I want to make sure if I take the Fort Myers position, it's for the right reasons. Not just because it's fun and the weather is great.

And medford I took no offense to what you said. I also wonder what the turnover rate is at the school. I actually asked if I could come down and check things out, and she more or less told me they were too busy to do any hosting, which sent off a warning flair for me.

I appreciate all of the input. I can't really say which way I'm leaning right now. I need to decide by tomorrow.

I don't know your personal situation, and I know the job market is tough right now, but that is a huge warning flair to me. No company should be too busy to do any hosting of someone they're willing to hire. Honestly, I'd recommend against it based simply on that plus the distance you'd have to move and other obstacles you're facing.

Redsfaithful
07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
From what I understand it's a tough market for teachers in Ohio right now. I know someone with contacts who is still having a really rough time. Your mileage will vary of course, just throwing it out there.

The job situation for teachers is very different from state to state, and Ohio churns out so many with all the colleges here.

If the school turns out to be sketchy you can spend one year there and then transition to something else if you like the area. If you're not married, no kids, then do it. Much tougher to do this sort of thing once you have a wife and children.

Redsfaithful
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
That being said, I'd think they should be able to give you some relocation money. That's actually the biggest red flag for me.

pedro
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Not even close to being true.

Worst thing that could happen is they get him to move down there, rent an appartment with a 12 month obligation (or penalty for early move out), start slow paying him after a couple of months and put him in a bind financially in an area I'll assume he knows few people.

If this was in his backyard, and he could maintain his current residence, or live with someone he knows until he's satisfied that the job is stable, that is one thing, but he's moving a long way for someone he's never meet face to face. I'll assume he's never seen the facilities, talked to any potential co workers, etc... There is a lot more risk than just not liking the job.

True, but life is full of risks whatever you do. TMBS, the fact that they want him to decide without even allowing him to come visit is kind of odd IMO.

medford
07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
True, but life is full of risks whatever you do. TMBS, the fact that they want him to decide without even allowing him to come visit is kind of odd IMO.

True, but one should attempt to minimize risk whenever possible. If it was local and he could live with his parent then there wouldn't be much fear of them slow ball paying him (or a corrupt owner taking off after stealing a bunch of money as happened here locally) Worst case he gets some teaching experience, without all the pay. If he had an uncle or sister or friend he could lean on in the Fort Meyers area for a couple of months as he attempts to figure out how reliable this place is.

If it was a city owned school, I'd say go for it. Since its a charter school (and I have no problems with charter schools per say, just that there is more risk for their employees unless its a well established school), not to mention they won't meet with him prior to employeement scares the beejesus out of me.

Mainly, if you do take the job, which could end up being the greatest decision you ever make (who knows), please don't committ yourself to too much financially that you don't have to. If you can rent by the month, even if you have to pay a little more, it may well be worth it for the first couple of months. If you can find a 2nd weekend job to help fill in the hours and perhaps balance out some of the uncertainity, go for it.

I'm just trying to make him aware, that there are far worst things that could happen than just "not liking the job"

Rojo
07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I want to make sure if I take the Fort Myers position, it's for the right reasons. Not just because it's fun and the weather is great.

I don't know -- fun and nice weather don't sound like bad reasons to me. At a certain age you mostly regret the things you didn't do.

RichRed
07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't know -- fun and nice weather don't sound like bad reasons to me. At a certain age you mostly regret the things you didn't do.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you take a flier on something and it doesn't work out, at least you can say, "Well, I gave it a shot." That's usually better than wondering "What if...?"

The circumstances of this particular situation do sound a little sketchy though, with the no face-to-face meeting and the no relocation assistance.

Rojo
07-11-2012, 02:21 PM
The circumstances of this particular situation do sound a little sketchy though, with the no face-to-face meeting and the no relocation assistance.

Sure. Try some google.

But I just looked at rents in Fort Myers on CL. $500 for a one-bedroom. What's the risk? You can pay that working at Starbucks. A risk is San Franciso or New York where you're out $5K within two months.

Raisor
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
If your not sure what to do, ask for relocation money and a downside guarentee. Ask for a contract to be looked at again in a year. Never hurts to ask if you aren't sure you want to do it

Roy Tucker
07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
To mitigate risk, I'd do as much research as I could on the school. Google it, call the local BBB, call the school governing boards, call the chamber of commerce, and whatever else you can think of.

it's easy to talk your way out of a lot of things in life. But I'd rather make an active mistake than a passive one. Just me though, YMMV.

jojo
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Ok Redszone here's the deal. I've been offered a teaching job at a charter school in Fort Myers, Florida. It pays 34,000 a year. Here's the kicker: they want me there by July 23rd for training, and students come on August 6th. They're willing to hire me over the phone, without meeting me in person first. They're not providing any relocation costs. I currently live in Ohio, and make substantially less than 34,000 a year. I don't have any money saved up for this, nor will I have any time to find a place in Fort Myers before going out there.

I don't have any experience as a teacher, only as a substitute. I've never done a lesson plan, don't have any experience with curriculum... should I take the job? Should I turn it down? Right now I'm leaning towards declining. But haven't decided for sure. Any opinions? Anyone familiar with the cost of living in Fort Myers?

What could go wrong? :beerme:

JaxRed
07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Google is your friend. Tell us the name of the school and I bet we can find out a lot. But you need a job and this is a job. I'd be inclined to say yes and right away. Sounds like they need a teacher ASAP (someone might have backed out at last minute). If you procrastinate they will go for someone else.

GIK
07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd do it and have done a similar move in the past. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work out and you move back, which was my experience. It actually was one of the best decisions I ever made (sold my house in 2007 "pre crash"; same house is worth $100k less and I'd be stuck there forever if I didn't leave). When we came back, we bought a new house that was listed significantly less than it had been earlier in a much better area.

Go for it.

camisadelgolf
07-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Five years from now, if there's anything for you that's not working out in Cincinnati, you might think, "Dang. I wish I gave Ft. Myers a chance." The important thing is that once you move out there, you try to embrace it for what it is instead of expecting things to be exactly like they were in South Vienna.

Sea Ray
07-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I appreciate all of the input. I can't really say which way I'm leaning right now. I need to decide by tomorrow.

So what'd you decide?

cincrazy
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Well, the decision was more or less made for me. I was going to go through with it, but upon looking at my transcripts, it was decided I needed to take classes before they'd be willing to hire me. She offered the job contingent on me passing a test, and having the necessary credits, but apparently I fell short in that regard. She told me if I completed certain classes, I could potentially get reimbursed from them, and I should contact her next year and they'd be willing to hire me. All in all, a bit disappointed, but also a bit relieved. It was a pretty big life decision to make, and even though I was going through with it, it was still pretty nerve wracking.

I plan on completing the classes, and next year revisiting the situation, while giving myself much more time to plan for this. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Rojo
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I plan on completing the classes, and next year revisiting the situation, while giving myself much more time to plan for this. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Sounds like an ok outcome. Have you been to the school? Road trip?

pedro
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, the decision was more or less made for me. I was going to go through with it, but upon looking at my transcripts, it was decided I needed to take classes before they'd be willing to hire me. She offered the job contingent on me passing a test, and having the necessary credits, but apparently I fell short in that regard. She told me if I completed certain classes, I could potentially get reimbursed from them, and I should contact her next year and they'd be willing to hire me. All in all, a bit disappointed, but also a bit relieved. It was a pretty big life decision to make, and even though I was going through with it, it was still pretty nerve wracking.

I plan on completing the classes, and next year revisiting the situation, while giving myself much more time to plan for this. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Presumably that'd give you the opportunity to visit the area and the school sometime in next year to see what you think.

Good luck!

cincrazy
07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Presumably that'd give you the opportunity to visit the area and the school sometime in next year to see what you think.

Good luck!

Hey thanks. Absolutely this gives me an opportunity to scout the area out. I plan on going down there by next spring to see the school, scout out any apartment possibilities, etc. All-in-all, best-case scenario I think. I'm still in play for a future position, and now I have more time to prepare for it.

Slyder
07-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Well, the decision was more or less made for me. I was going to go through with it, but upon looking at my transcripts, it was decided I needed to take classes before they'd be willing to hire me. She offered the job contingent on me passing a test, and having the necessary credits, but apparently I fell short in that regard. She told me if I completed certain classes, I could potentially get reimbursed from them, and I should contact her next year and they'd be willing to hire me. All in all, a bit disappointed, but also a bit relieved. It was a pretty big life decision to make, and even though I was going through with it, it was still pretty nerve wracking.

I plan on completing the classes, and next year revisiting the situation, while giving myself much more time to plan for this. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

If you don't want to move that far from Ohio, West Virginia is dieing for teachers in a number of schools. Especially math and science. They don't pay the greatest but the cost of living here is much lower.

RFS62
07-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I lived in Naples for a few years, just a few miles south of Ft. Myers.

Be careful in choosing a place to be in Ft. Myers. There are some very rough areas of town you don't want to end up in. It's a great part of the country in general, but like most places, if you don't do your research on renting a place, you could be very unhappy in the long run.