PDA

View Full Version : CityBeat: Life in the Fast Lane article on Chapman

redsmetz
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
C. Trent Rosecrans teamed up with James McNair to do a cover piece for CityBeat on Aroldis Chapman, outlining some of what has been going on with him since signing with the Reds.

Interesting read.

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-25795-life_in_the_fast_lane.html

DGullett35
07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Very nice read. There really is a mystique about Chapman that many have no idea about.

mattfeet
07-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Lamborghini didn't make the Diablo in 2008, nor have they since 2001. I hate it when writer's don't verify their facts, even on non-critical details.

-Matt

dman
07-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Very nice read. There really is a mystique about Chapman that many have no idea about.

I find no mystique in Chapman at all. Even though I have been impressed by his limited talent, I'm worried that he will ultimately become a liability both on the field and off the field. A team full of young talent with hopes of competing for a title doesn't need these kind of distractions.

wolfboy
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I find no mystique in Chapman at all. Even though I have been impressed by his limited talent, I'm worried that he will ultimately become a liability both on the field and off the field. A team full of young talent with hopes of competing for a title doesn't need these kind of distractions.

Speeding tickets?

The Voice of IH
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Speeding tickets?

+1

The Operator
07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Speeding tickets?

Not to mention "limited talent".

redsmetz
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Lamborghini didn't make the Diablo in 2008, nor have they since 2001. I hate it when writer's don't verify their facts, even on non-critical details.

-Matt

Is it possible, as it generally is with car manufacturers, that the final production of the cars in 2007 were for the 2008 model year?

dman
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Speeding tickets?

Not to mention "limited talent"

Yes and yes... It's not just the speeding tickets, but rather a pattern of events and circumstances that has/had enveloped him.

As for the talent, if you take away the fact that he throws a 100 MPH fastball that he has trouble commanding, what is left? A slider that's not the greatest of sliders????

wolfboy
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes and yes... It's not just the speeding tickets, but rather a pattern of events and circumstances that has/had enveloped him.

As for the talent, if you take away the fact that he throws a 100 MPH fastball that he has trouble commanding, what is left? A slider that's not the greatest of sliders????

1. We're not talking about Chris Henry here. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I bet that the number of baseball players with a collection of speeding tickets and strippers is longer than you think.

2. If Billy Hamilton wasn't so fast, he wouldn't be a very good base stealer. If you take away Adam Dunn's power, he wouldn't be a very good hitter. What's the point?

reds44
07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Chapman didn't know how to drive and had never drove before coming here. Imagine yourself as a 16 year old with insanely nice (and fast) cars and all the money in the world. What would you do?

He's young and immature (even more so than most people his age). He's getting speeding tickets, lets not make him out to be an awful person here.

And saying he has "limited" talent is hilarious.

dman
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
1. We're not talking about Chris Henry here. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I bet that the number of baseball players with a collection of speeding tickets and strippers is longer than you think.

2. If Billy Hamilton wasn't so fast, he wouldn't be a very good base stealer. If you take away Adam Dunn's power, he wouldn't be a very good hitter. What's the point?

Okay, touche on the speeding tickets and strippers, and all that comes with that whole deal.

On the other, you're comparing apples and oranges since Chapman is a pitcher. With any of the other position players, how many times have we seen where a player really doesn't offer much offensively, but they are dynamite on the defensive end, or the other way around?

Chapman doesn't have that going for him. He's a two-pitch pitcher that doesn't have much going for him other than his fastball. I don't dislike Chapman, I'm just not as high on him as some others on here might be. Chapman was a bit of a mystique when he showed up on the scene in 2010. But, now that the league is starting to see more of him, it's starting to show.

dman
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Chapman didn't know how to drive and had never drove before coming here. Imagine yourself as a 16 year old with insanely nice (and fast) cars and all the money in the world. What would you do?

He's young and immature (even more so than most people his age). He's getting speeding tickets, lets not make him out to be an awful person here.

And saying he has "limited" talent is hilarious.

It is limited, especially when you look at his talent in comparison with how many people on here think he could be a viable starter for this team. When Chapman showed up in 2010, he was dominant. But, the more he gets used is the more that teams are starting to get a good look at him, and it's that much more he's getting touched up by opposing hitters... And that's only with 1 inning of work each time he takes the mound. Now, imagine a pitcher with his limited arsenal trying to make his way through a whole lineup of an opposing team. His fastball and slider, when he's having an on day, might get him through the lineup once, but by the time some of the league's better hitters get a second look at him, it's going to catch up.

If he can get some work from a good pitching coach for a quality #3 and #4 pitch, yeah maybe, but like it or not, Chapman is very limited right now.

Superdude
07-13-2012, 03:12 PM
When Chapman showed up in 2010, he was dominant. But, the more he gets used is the more that teams are starting to get a good look at him, and it's that much more he's getting touched up by opposing hitters.

:confused: He's having the best statistical season of his career. If you're disappointed in his sub-2 ERA and K/9 over 16, what exactly were you expecting?

dman
07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
:confused: He's having the best statistical season of his career. If you're disappointed in his sub-2 ERA and K/9 over 16, what exactly were you expecting?

I guess I should clarify that. I'm very impressed with what he's done in the position that I believe he's cut out for.... He has dominated that role, and I think that's where he should stay.

I'm just working with two lines of thought spawning from what I see him doing in his current role as closer, which has been impressive, and what I see in text on various forums about him becoming a starter.

mattfeet
07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Is it possible, as it generally is with car manufacturers, that the final production of the cars in 2007 were for the 2008 model year?

I'd say possibly if they made the Diablo in 2007. However, there hasn't been one since 2001.

wolfboy
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Okay, touche on the speeding tickets and strippers, and all that comes with that whole deal.

On the other, you're comparing apples and oranges since Chapman is a pitcher. With any of the other position players, how many times have we seen where a player really doesn't offer much offensively, but they are dynamite on the defensive end, or the other way around?

Chapman doesn't have that going for him. He's a two-pitch pitcher that doesn't have much going for him other than his fastball. I don't dislike Chapman, I'm just not as high on him as some others on here might be. Chapman was a bit of a mystique when he showed up on the scene in 2010. But, now that the league is starting to see more of him, it's starting to show.

I think those are apt comparisons. The guys I mentioned have one exceptional skill and are just okay otherwise. Chapman has an out of this world fastball and is just okay otherwise. The thing is, when your fastball is in the 99th percentile of all MLB players ever, your other skills can be just okay. Saying Chapman isn't anything special without his fastball is like saying Superman is just some joe schmo reporter without his superpowers.

The Operator
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Saying Chapman isn't anything special without his fastball is like saying Superman is just some joe schmo reporter without his superpowers. Excellent. :lol: