PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 7/12/2012 Minor League Updates

texasdave
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Tim Gustafson is starting for Louisville and is having a rough go of things. 10 baserunners (8 hits and 3 walks) in 3+ innings of work. He has given up four runs. On the plus side, the Bats exploded for four runs of their own in the bottom of the second. Gregorius is one for one with a sac fly. Rodriguez, Soto, Janish, Puckett and Gustafson with singles. Xavier Paul is one for two, a double.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Pensacola at Chattanooga was postponed.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Dayton and Peoria just getting started. Sean Buckley with the lone hit for the Dragons. Stalin Gerson gave up two hits in the first but escaped damage by striking out two. Yorman Rodriguez is not in the lineup. He hurt his left leg last night per Dragons' broadcaster.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Sharky Rogers goes for Bakersfield later on tonight out west.

Sal Romano cranks it up for Billings versus Orem.

AZL Reds travel to the AZL Dodgers.

mace
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Didi's off to a nice start in AAA: 2-2 with a 2B. Xavier Paul is 1-2 with a 2B. Bats lead 5-4 after four.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Carlos Fisher gives up a run in the fifth and that's where things stand in the 7th, 5-5. Nick Christiani with two scoreless innings so far in relief.
Edit: Seems like I jumped the gun a little. After retiring the first two batters in the 7th, Christiani gives up a double and single. Gwinnett leads 6-5.

Henry Rodriguez singles to lead off the bottom of the 7th, his second hit of the game. Soto, Navarro and Paul fail to move Rodriguez along. 6-5 after 7, Bats trail.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Stalin Gerson with a fine outing so far. One earned run in five innings. No walks and three punchouts. Dayton fell behind 1-0 in the fourth but came back to tie things up in the fifth on singles by Kyle Waldrop and Jefry Sierra.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Sal Romano pitched a 1-2-3-4 first inning (error by Sammy Diaz). Jesse Winker draws a one-out walk but is left stranded.

Billings' broadcaster raving about Romano's curve. Back-to-back Ks to end the second. Both coming on a 'wicked' curveball.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Romano scoreless and hitless through three. Mustangs also looking for their first hit. Scoring change. A second Mustangs' error has been changed to an Orem hit.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Donnie Joseph with a scoreless frame. Bats still trail 6-5 in the bottom of the 8th. Delay in the Louisville game. Costanzo has been called on to pinch hit for Donnie Joseph. However, he seems to be back in the clubhouse, shaving for the third time in the game. Costanzo emerges and proceeds to strike out to end the inning. On to the ninth.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
A two-out single by Carlos Sanchez plates Amaral for the first run of the game. Jesse Winker draws his second walk of the game. Billings 1-0 after three.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Single and double here in the fourth and Orem has tied the game at one. A double plates two more and Orem leads 3-1. Romano wobbling here in the fourth.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Jordan Smith surrenders a pair of runs on three hits and a walk. Bottom of the ninth and the Bats need three to tie and four to walkoff. Smith had an ERA of 0.87 in his last ten appearances.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Dayton plates 5 in the top of the seventh and now lead 6-2. Gerson with a quality start. Dennhardt coming on in the 7th.

Dayton Top of the 7th

Pitcher Change: Justin Berg replaces Jose Rosario.
Ryan Wright hit by pitch.
Kyle Waldrop singles on a line drive to left fielder Pin-Chieh Chen. Ryan Wright to 2nd.
Yovan Gonzalez singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Justin Berg. Ryan Wright to 3rd. Kyle Waldrop to 2nd.
Juan Silva out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Pin-Chieh Chen. Ryan Wright scores.
Jefry Sierra reaches on fielding error by second baseman Zeke DeVoss. Kyle Waldrop to 3rd. Yovan Gonzalez to 2nd.
Junior Arias grounds into a force out, shortstop Javier Baez to second baseman Zeke DeVoss. Kyle Waldrop scores. Yovan Gonzalez to 3rd. Jefry Sierra out at 2nd. Junior Arias to 1st.
Juan Perez singles on a fly ball to right fielder Yasiel Balaguert. Yovan Gonzalez scores. Junior Arias to 2nd.
Pitcher Change: Hunter Cervenka replaces Justin Berg.
Joe Terry walks. Junior Arias to 3rd. Juan Perez to 2nd.
Sean Buckley singles on a ground ball to center fielder Taiwan Easterling. Junior Arias scores. Juan Perez scores. Joe Terry to 2nd.
Ryan Wright flies out to left fielder Pin-Chieh Chen.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Bats go down in order. Lose 8-5.

texasdave
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Romano lifted in the fourth. He retired the first Orem batter in the inning and then five straight reached. Dan Langfield on. Billings' broadcaster says Langfield has the biggest arsenal of pitches of any Mustangs' hurler and can reach the mid-90s 'with ease'.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Steve Selsky has a pair of triples, and Bakersfield leads 3-2 after four. Jamie Walczak has struck out 7.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Dayton won 8-5. Buckley was 3-5 with a triple. Waldrop, Silva and Sierra all had two hits. Michael Dennhardt continued to roll in relief.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Winker's 1-2 with a double and two walks. He wants to be Joey Votto when he grows up.

Billings trails 8-3 after seven.

dougdirt
07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Winker's 1-2 with a double and two walks. He wants to be Joey Votto when he grows up.

Billings trails 8-3 after seven.

You could certainly be much worse things.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Josh Kennelly is the first Australian catcher ever to homer in the Reds organization. He's 2-2 tonight for the AZL lads, who lead 3-2 in the sixth.

Argenis Aldazoro is 3-3 with two doubles. I've refrained from mentioning him because his name is so dang hard to get right, but 3-3 with two doubles cannot be overlooked.

Pedro Diaz fanned 6 in 3.1 IP. Both runs against him were unearned.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Theo Bowe misses Billy. He's 0-3. Devin Lohman, taking over at SS, does not. He's 2-2.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Seth Mejias-Brean hit his first professional HR tonight for Billings.

mace
07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Selsky has added a HR to go with his two triples. I wonder if he could trade in one of the triples for a single and a double--same total bases--and call it a cycle.

Scrap Irony
07-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Bats go down in order. Lose 8-5.

Weird night at the ballpark in Louisville. Neither team hit the ball all that hard in the first few innings, yet both had 9 hits and 5 runs by the fourth inning. Gregorius had two plays that were Little League, but blew them both.

In the first, Gustafson caught the Brave runner off first, threw it to second, but Gregorius, not in position, dropped the ball while "sprinting" to the bag. Then, in the third, with a Brave runner attempting to steal and Gregorius covering the bag, the ball was hit slightly to his right. He stopped, turned, tried to backhand the ball, and had it squirt out of his hand.

Neither play was considered an error.

(He apparently made a good play later in the game, but I was in the can and didn't see it.)

The left side ump blew two really easy calls as well.

One at 2B when he called the Bravo out on the way to a double play. (Nice play by Janish to get the ball and toss it to Gregorius.) The kid sticks on second as the Bats are leaving the field. Bell comes out to ask why his players are called back. The ump (and Bell) have a heart to heart. The Brave player stays and they run it back again with two outs. (The only thing I can figure is perhaps Gregorius didn't get near the bag, though he looked like he was there.)

The second blown call was worse. Bravo attempted steal. Navarro throws a seed to Rodriguez. He's out by three feet. Bats players are jogging off the field and the runner took off his helmet to give to the third base coach before the ump called him safe. Bell came out again to have a heart to heart. Ump was behind the runner in the baseline-- no way he saw that play.

Too, Smith got absolutely rocked. His were the only balls hit all that hard all night.

I've been to Louisville about 100 times over the past few years. This was the smallest crowd I've ever seen. Totally disinterested, too. Being bad really sucks the life out of a team, I'd imagine.

lollipopcurve
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
While they don't have the best prospects in the system, I like the Dayton team right now, especially the position player group. A lot of second tier prospects putting solid seasons together. Competitive lineup top to bottom.

On the other hand, the two short season teams still feel amorphous to me. Big rosters, inconsistent lineups. Just a few flashes of top performance (Winker, Stephenson among them), but otherwise pretty pedestrian so far. Looking forward to Travieso's debut.

batsfan
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
I was at the Bats game last night - Gregorius looked good, he had a couple of nice hits, good baserunner, and looked excellent defensively - he made a very nice play almost behind second to throw a runner out. I'm not sure if Paul Janish has ever played second before - if so just a couple of times - but he played like a gold-glover there last night. Phipps is hacking at everything - what happened to him???

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I was at the Bats game last night - Gregorius looked good, he had a couple of nice hits, good baserunner, and looked excellent defensively - he made a very nice play almost behind second to throw a runner out. I'm not sure if Paul Janish has ever played second before - if so just a couple of times - but he played like a gold-glover there last night. Phipps is hacking at everything - what happened to him???

Phipps hacked at everything last year too. He just had an incredibly lucky streak going on that hid it because the ball was finding the outfield grass instead of a fielders glove.

Scrap Irony
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't realize how good Selsky's numbers are both at Bakersfield and overall.

He's old for the league and will need to mash, as he's a corner OF, but, so far in his career, Selsky's done very well. Most of his numbers come from great hitting leagues, so you may take what he's done with a grain of salt, but he's been outstanding in High A.

Next season, he'll likely move to Pensacola next season. That's the proving ground, obviously. He's got an outside shot at moving up late this year.

Someone to keep an eye on.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I didn't realize how good Selsky's numbers are both at Bakersfield and overall.

He's old for the league and will need to mash, as he's a corner OF, but, so far in his career, Selsky's done very well. Most of his numbers come from great hitting leagues, so you may take what he's done with a grain of salt, but he's been outstanding in High A.

Next season, he'll likely move to Pensacola next season. That's the proving ground, obviously. He's got an outside shot at moving up late this year.

Someone to keep an eye on.

Kind of like Bryson Smith, who has done nothing but hit since being drafted, but has also spent 95% of him time playing in launching pad type environments. Both are guys to watch for to see how they perform outside of the 'everyone hits here' leagues.

Scrap Irony
07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah, good call on Bryson Smith.

No matter what they do from here on out, IMO, both have been very good draft picks by Jocketty and company. Cheap production for farm teams is an underrated and underdiscussed need from the draft. Hitting on guys like Selsky and Smith allows the Reds to ultimately save money (not signing free agents) and provide interest in their minor league product.

Smith has the hit tool, no doubt. He's also got a good obp rate-- the 20 hbp really help. Decent power (maybe. Again, launching pad questions there.) What gives me a bit of hope about Smith is that he plays CF. You can afford to drop a bit offensively as you move forward if you can play up the middle. (How well he plays there, I'm not sure.)