PDA

View Full Version : Jose Ortiz

fearofpopvol1
07-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Now that he's signed, anyone have any info on him? I've tried searching some, and because there is seemingly 100 other Jose Ortiz', I can't find much. Anyone else?

Scrap Irony
07-13-2012, 06:09 PM
He's a catcher with plus defensive tools and projects to have power and a little hit tool. Played for Puerto Rico Academy, IIRC, and wasn't expected to sign in the hopes of improving his draft status.

Was discussed (again, IIRC) as a possible high-round pick in later drafts. "One to watch" was the phrase, I think.

Blitz Dorsey
07-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Great to hear he signed. Our catching depth is pretty solid, but never hurts to add more.

dougdirt
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Great to hear he signed. Our catching depth is pretty solid, but never hurts to add more.

Especially with how these guys go through injuries.

corkedbat
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Especially with how these guys go through injuries.

There was some batting practice video of him on draft day, but went back and couldn't find it. Liked his swing.

TOBTTReds
07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Our catching depth is pretty solid

I know what you mean, but I've come to the conclusion there is no such thing as good catching depth or excess catching.

Scrap Irony
07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Navarro and Barnhart look solid. Beyond that, I see nothing.

And Navarro is likely gone after this season, while Barnhart isn't a sure thing.

Catching is among the poorest positions, IMO, in the Red talent pipeline.

Ortiz won't hit full-season ball for a year, perhaps two.

It all depends on Barnhart, really.

redsmetz
07-14-2012, 02:50 PM
What puzzled me is how little info was out there om Ortiz, I think just some tournament info. Nothing about having college plans or anything. Must have had some options or he would have signed sooner, don't you think?,

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Navarro and Barnhart look solid. Beyond that, I see nothing.

And Navarro is likely gone after this season, while Barnhart isn't a sure thing.

Catching is among the poorest positions, IMO, in the Red talent pipeline.

Ortiz won't hit full-season ball for a year, perhaps two.

It all depends on Barnhart, really.

Yovan Gonzalez my friend. Having a very good year at Dayton. Read up on him!

mth123
07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Bumping this thread because Ortiz has been good in small samples over two Rookie league seasons. The posts above call him a plus defensive catcher, if so, he may be something down he road. Here are his limited stats.http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ortiz-014jos

Based on the reports from last draft day and those stats, I'm getting a little enthused about this kid. Anybody know if this is expected or a mirage?

Is this kid a potential top 10 prospect?

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Bumping this thread because Ortiz has been good in small samples over two Rookie league seasons. The posts above call him a plus defensive catcher, if so, he may be something down he road. Here are his limited stats.http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ortiz-014jos

Based on the reports from last draft day and those stats, I'm getting a little enthused about this kid. Anybody know if this is expected or a mirage?

Is this kid a potential top 10 prospect?

I'm with you. I know it's an extremely-small sample size, but I'm very excited about Ortiz. And I remember there was some debate whether he would sign last year (when he was a 17th round pick). Thank goodness he did. We have some solid catching depth in the minors with Barnhart, Y.Gonzalez, Hudson and especially Ortiz. The other guy at Billings -- Daniel Paula -- is having a good year as well. I have no idea how good/bad Paula is defensively though. Good to know Ortiz is a "plus" defensive catcher.

BTW: Anyone notice that our 12th-round pick this year -- catcher Shedric Long -- finally got his first hit for the AZL Reds? Poor kid was 0-for-his-first-21. Now he's rocking the 1-for-22 (.045 if you're scoring at home, or even if you're alone).

corkedbat
07-15-2013, 11:12 PM
There was a video of Ortiz taking batting practice back before he was drafted (can't find it anywhere now). Something about him though made me think of Bo Diaz (loved Bo while he was a Red).

RedTeamGo!
07-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Wow, 5 HR, 2 2B in 53 plate appearances?

Get on with your bad self, Jose.

Edd Roush
07-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Wow, 5 HR, 2 2B in 53 plate appearances?

Get on with your bad self, Jose.

.364 ISO. Wow.

nemesis
07-16-2013, 01:48 PM
.364 ISO. Wow.

0 E / 1 PB / 35% CS (7 for 20) in 14 games caught this year

Small sample size but at 19 years 1 month and 6 days, that impresses me more that his bat.

Cannot wait to see him in Dayton next year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ortiz-014jos

texasdave
07-16-2013, 03:33 PM
This is the Perfect Game website scouting report on Ortiz:

Jose Ortiz is a 2012 C with a 5-11 205 lb. frame from Comerio, PR who attends Juana Colon School. Thick mature build, very good strength. Right handed hitter, very aggressive swing approach, rotational swing with lift and power, looks to pull, commits early and attacks, ball jumps hard when centered, game home run, crushes mistakes. Very good arm strength behind the plate, quick compact arm stroke, 1.86 best pop time, active feet, will have to work on hands/receiving skills. Has the tools to keep improving. Good student.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-20-2013, 10:55 AM
At this point, would it be safe to assume this kid is a top 10 prospect with the organization? I mean, I would put him ahead of Reynoso and he was a top 10 prospect by BA heading into the year. Right?

dougdirt
08-20-2013, 12:03 PM
At this point, would it be safe to assume this kid is a top 10 prospect with the organization? I mean, I would put him ahead of Reynoso and he was a top 10 prospect by BA heading into the year. Right?

While I haven't talked to anyone about him from this season yet, I wouldn't have him in the top 10 yet. Reynoso was overranked IMO. I had him in the 20's coming into the season. There are some tools there, but he is and was incredibly raw still and his tools aren't so rare that they overcome that for me (for example, a guy like Amir Garret does overcome that some because well, lefty starters that have smooth and easy deliveries that can hit 97 MPH.... they get some leeway).

With that said, I am a big fan of Ortiz. Some of those tools are loud.

*BaseClogger*
08-20-2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.showdowncards.com/images/product/1317.jpg