PDA

View Full Version : Janish dealt to Braves for AAA pitcher Todd Redmond

cinreds21
07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Shortstop Paul Janish has been traded to the Atlanta Braves for right-handed pitcher Todd Redmond.

powersackers
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Best of luck Paul.

fearofpopvol1
07-14-2012, 05:03 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/904180-atlanta-braves-top-30-prospects/page/2

These guys aren't quite in the top 30, but are worth some notice.

Todd Redmond-Acquired from the Pirates before the 2008 season, Redmond has spent the last three years in Triple-A and has improved each year.

This year he went 10-8 with a 2.92 ERA and struck out 142 batters in 169.2 innings. Redmond could be a fifth starter for a bunch of teams, but his role with the Braves appears to be an emergency starter just down the road in Gwinnett.

He's 27, 6'3. Not a great fastball, has a great changeup, and a decent curveball. Supposedly has great control.

Tom Servo
07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Best of luck to Janish, but I'm not going to miss him.

mth123
07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
I had heard the Braves were looking for stopgap SS and thought of Janish. Redmond was on the 40 man in Atlanta so he goes on the 40 man in Cincy. Decent get for the rotation's depth chart.

cinreds21
07-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Funny tidbit. Janish will go to Atlanta, but if he didn't, he would just walk to the other side of the complex as the Bats and Gwinnett Braves are playing each other.

Benihana
07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Now we know who the Reds next starter will be in case of emergency.

Kc61
07-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks to Janish who always played hard and is an excellent defender. Hope he does well with the Braves.

WildcatFan
07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
I'll miss Soft J. Always thought he was just fine and should have been the utility man instead of Cairo.

cinreds21
07-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I didn't know him until this year and it was only for a few days but he was very very nice and cool.

NC Reds
07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Good luck Paul! I hope he gets a chance to play some for the Braves.

I concur he would have been fine as the utility man over Cairo.

corkedbat
07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Never really saw the wisdom of acqriring Valdez with Janish around and I liked Paul more than many, but getting a potentially useful arm for him is a good thing. With Didi and Billy moving up the ladder, they just had no room for Janish - good luck Paul.

batsfan
07-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Really glad to see Janish get another shot at the big leagues. Redmond actually no-hit the Bats in 2010.

powersackers
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I tweeted Ken Rosenthal asking him to report the Janish trade from the field and he did. I love Rosenthal. They did a nice job tying Didi and Billy into the report.

Big Klu
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Could Gregorius stick as the backup SS next year? He would be a left-handed bat on the bench.

cinreds21
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
At this point they wouldn't want him to waste away on the bench. (Well, Todd pretty much does so maybe so after all.)

Raisor
07-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Someone find Pedro! Get his shoelaces and guitar strings away from him!

HokieRed
07-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Sorry to see Paul go. I thought he had a good chance to be on the 25 man next year. I also thought Walt's first move would not be for an outfield bat, but for some starting depth. There are a lot of innings on our starters' arms.

SirFelixCat
07-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks to Janish who always played hard and is an excellent defender. Hope he does well with the Braves.

:thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm sad to see him go. Unfortunately the writing was on the wall for Paul once Cozart got called up. Best of luck to Paul. He deserves to get a shot somewhere (even if it SHOULD'VE been here instead of signing Valdez).

pedro
07-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Someone find Pedro! Get his shoelaces and guitar strings away from him!

I'm laying in the grass under a big oak tree after after a 36 mile bike ride and a pint of good beer. And now we've traded Janish for an actual living breathing ball player? What a day! :)

pedro
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM
p.s. Valdez is a way better utility guy to have around than Janish.

westofyou
07-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Woody Woodward 2.0... now he will also play in Atlanta

marcshoe
07-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Woody Woodward 2.0... now he will also play in Atlanta

Also the team the Reds sent Darrel Chaney to. Do I sense a pattern?

Okay, so Woodward was a Brave first. Still....

Brutus
07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
At this point they wouldn't want him to waste away on the bench. (Well, Todd pretty much does so maybe so after all.)

Frazier does have 200 plate appearances. While it would be nice to see him in the lineup about every day, he's not really wasting away.

Vottomatic
07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
A good minor move.

Gregorious and Hamilton moving upwards through the system. Valdez already playing backup SS on the major league roster. Janish getting older and taking up space on the 40-man. Reds continue to upgrade pitching depth.

Good move.

I keep wondering if this is a precursor to either Leake or Bailey being traded for a big move.

CrackerJack
07-14-2012, 09:06 PM
A good minor move.

Gregorious and Hamilton moving upwards through the system. Valdez already playing backup SS on the major league roster. Janish getting older and taking up space on the 40-man. Reds continue to upgrade pitching depth.

Good move.

I keep wondering if this is a precursor to either Leake or Bailey being traded for a big move.

The Reds' would be insane to trade Leake right now.

CrackerJack
07-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I also wonder if Cueto's "blister" has anything to do with the urgency or timing of the deal.

mth123
07-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I also wonder if Cueto's "blister" has anything to do with the urgency or timing of the deal.

I think the urgency came from Atlanta. They lost their starting SS (Andrelton Simmons) and his back-up (Jack Wilson) within days of each other.

CrackerJack
07-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the urgency came from Atlanta. They lost their starting SS (Andrelton Simmons) and his back-up (Jack Wilson) within days of each other.

Ah, thanks, makes more sense certainly.

westofyou
07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
The Reds' would be insane to trade Leake right now.

I don't see any pitcher being traded... that starts, but I can see Bray or Logan being in a deal

Simon could slide up and BB is the 3rd LH and outside of this org he might have higher value within the seasons meanderings

Redlegs
07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Wish Pauly well. He was a class act for Cincinnati. Just wished he could hit.

lidspinner
07-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I like to consider myself a good talent scout at times just like most anyone here who takes the game serious....and I have watched many of good SS's come and go through Cincy, Janish was one of the best as far as the glove is concerned.....He would get to plays in the 5-6 hole that Jeter would not get to in Jeters prime....Soft J just could not throw anyone out from that deep hole with consistency......I have seen Paul glove balls hit up the middle that Larkin used to watch go by, Janish was famous in my book for stopping those ground balls that kept runners from advancing a base but didnt get anyone out....to me, that is the mark of a true SS, when you dive to stop a grounder knowing dam well you will not throw him out or get an out anywhere on that play yet you do it to stop runners from advancing bases or from going from 2nd to home.....I hardly ever see guys do that anymore and when Paul came up he starting doing it night in and night out and it made me a huge soft J fan....I used to hit the record button on tivo everytime Paul made one of those plays just so I could go back and show my kids what he done and how it changed the outcome of the inning and better yet, the outcome of the game....

Here is to wishing him well and I hope he figures out how to hit...just not against us.

Vottomatic
07-15-2012, 12:42 AM

Good info. And it makes the most sense.

fearofpopvol1
07-15-2012, 02:43 AM

I fully agree. True, Valdez doesn't have a stick either, but after he was able to successfully play CF, I was a fan. Not to mention, it seems like anytime the team needs a bunt, he always puts down a good one.

Tom Servo
07-15-2012, 03:05 AM
I fully agree. True, Valdez doesn't have a stick either, but after he was able to successfully play CF, I was a fan. Not to mention, it seems like anytime the team needs a bunt, he always puts down a good one.
I also may be putting my foot in my mouth here, but offhand I don't recall any real miscues by Valdez in the field thus far. Janish has a great glove, but I recall getting really annoyed that whenever he was put in for defensive purposes during his last Reds stint or so he seemed to bobble the ball in big spots (I recall one instance with the bases loaded) and things along that nature. I mean it's one thing when a guy like BP does it because he has a chance to make up for it with his bat, but when your sole purpose is to play D and you screw it up...I was pissed.

mth123
07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Janish is a fine defensive SS, but SS is supposed to be manned by a fine defender. He was a breath of fresh air making plays that guys like Aurilia, Keppinger and Hairston were letting go by as hits, but we were just witnessing solid SS play, not anything super special.

I've said many times that he's Gary Green. A SS with solid defensive skills that can restore order to a defense in need, but he's not a long term solution for any team and is probably destined to a career where he stays ready in AAA much of the time and gets the call when the need arises. The Reds, with Didi now in AAA, really didn't have a need for that kind of player and exchanged him for a pitcher with a similar profile. That's something the Reds needed since there really is little in the way of realistic immediate rotation options beyond the 5 the Reds are using now.

lollipopcurve
07-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Best arm at SS I can remember in a Reds uniform. That's what separated him defensively from the average guy there. Supposedly an outstanding teammate, and that matters too. Alas, the offense. Wish him well -- back when he was drafted and in his early years in the organization the vast majority gave him no chance at a major league career.

Redmond seems like a fair return. Dependable AAA depth at a critical position.

HokieRed
07-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Best arm at SS I can remember in a Reds uniform. That's what separated him defensively from the average guy there. Supposedly an outstanding teammate, and that matters too. Alas, the offense. Wish him well -- back when he was drafted and in his early years in the organization the vast majority gave him no chance at a major league career.

Redmond seems like a fair return. Dependable AAA depth at a critical position.

No diminution intended of Janish, but you're obviously not old enough to remember McMillan.

Mario-Rijo
07-15-2012, 09:36 AM
I like to consider myself a good talent scout at times just like most anyone here who takes the game serious....and I have watched many of good SS's come and go through Cincy, Janish was one of the best as far as the glove is concerned.....He would get to plays in the 5-6 hole that Jeter would not get to in Jeters prime....Soft J just could not throw anyone out from that deep hole with consistency......I have seen Paul glove balls hit up the middle that Larkin used to watch go by, Janish was famous in my book for stopping those ground balls that kept runners from advancing a base but didnt get anyone out....to me, that is the mark of a true SS, when you dive to stop a grounder knowing dam well you will not throw him out or get an out anywhere on that play yet you do it to stop runners from advancing bases or from going from 2nd to home.....I hardly ever see guys do that anymore and when Paul came up he starting doing it night in and night out and it made me a huge soft J fan....I used to hit the record button on tivo everytime Paul made one of those plays just so I could go back and show my kids what he done and how it changed the outcome of the inning and better yet, the outcome of the game....

Here is to wishing him well and I hope he figures out how to hit...just not against us.

If I were an exec I'd have to question your scouting skills with that description of Janish and the rest. His arm was his best asset, he was/is alot like Jeter as far as range goes but I'd have to give the edge to Jeter in his prime (maybe) and Janish couldn't hold a candle to anything Larkin did defensively, except throw the ball and Larkin wasn't a slouch by any means. And Larkin did it all largely on Astroturf.

Vottomatic
07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
No diminution intended of Janish, but you're obviously not old enough to remember McMillan.

Concepcion had outstanding range in his younger days. Before Ozzie, Davey was probably the standard for SS defense, IMO.

HokieRed
07-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Concepcion had outstanding range in his younger days. Before Ozzie, Davey was probably the standard for SS defense, IMO.

Lollipop's point was about Janish's arm; Davey was very good as an artificial surface SS but his arm was not comparable to McMillan's.

Sea Ray
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Good luck Paul! I hope he gets a chance to play some for the Braves.

I concur he would have been fine as the utility man over Cairo.

:confused:

Where's this coming from? The two have different roles. Janish would be a gloveman while Cairo is a very good bat off the bench. In fact he's one of the best pinch hitters in MLB. We already have a glove guy on the bench so why give up your only decent PH? This bench is weak enough offensively as is. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd give up Cairo's bat for Janish

RedlegJake
07-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Again - you didn't see McMillan - I'd take Roy straight up on defense with Davey in both their prime. Any day. Including the arms and the range. In the 50s McMillan was SPECIAL - they said the same about him they later said about Davey and then Ozzie and then Barry

RedlegJake
07-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Reds are building a nice staff in Louisville for starting depth - Redmond, Villareal and Hoover. Getting Todd for Janish was, I agree, driven by the Braves need more than the Reds. Nice to have some choices down there to go to if its necessary, though, no longer a 1 or 2 man proposition - they have some choices.

REDREAD
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM

I agree completely.. Valdez was a good move to make and a definite upgrade. We will never regret letting Janish go.
If nothing else, Valdez's ablity to fill in as an emergency CF makes him more valuable than Janish (and Valdez hits better than Janish).

Big Klu
07-16-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm guessing that the next player to wear #7 will be Billy Hamilton (once he finally makes the show). It suits him.

CySeymour
07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Kurt Stillwell had one heck of an arm, too

M2
07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I have seen Paul glove balls hit up the middle that Larkin used to watch go by

No you haven't. Larkin was exceptional on balls up the middle.

M2
07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm laying in the grass under a big oak tree after after a 36 mile bike ride and a pint of good beer. And now we've traded Janish for an actual living breathing ball player? What a day! :)

Hey, I also biked 36 miles on Saturday. Maybe if we coordinate our ride distances the Reds will make more nifty trades like this.

pedro
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey, I also biked 36 miles on Saturday. Maybe if we coordinate our ride distances the Reds will make more nifty trades like this.

Good plan. :)

savafan
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Perhaps he only saw Larkin at the end of his career after injuries took their toll.

M2
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Perhaps he only saw Larkin at the end of his career after injuries took their toll.

That's all I can figure. For most of his career Larkin was one of the best ever in making a play to his left.

OnBaseMachine
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
That's all I can figure. For most of his career Larkin was one of the best ever in making a play to his left.

Yep. I don't know how many times I saw Larkin range behind the second base bag, do that little spin, and make a perfect throw to first base. My gosh I miss watching that man play baseball. Imagine having him in his prime batting first or second ahead of Votto.

Doc. Scott
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I guess I'm out of step with the rest of you, then, because I find Janish infinitely superior to the weaksauce that Wilson Valdez stands for. But I don't necessary find the trade a bad thing, lest we get more Chad Reineke or Brett Tomko making emergency starts.

lidspinner
07-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Ok, maybe I went a bit far fetched on that quote....point is that Paul was one of the greatest defenders at SS to don a Reds uniform in the past 20 years....one of the best, not the best, but one for sure......if he could've put a offensive stat line similar to Larkins then I think we all would agree that they would be similar.

redsmetz
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Nice piece in the Atlanta paper about Janish's arrival.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/07/15/janish-to-be-everyday-shorstop-with-simmons-out/

pedro
07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Ok, maybe I went a bit far fetched on that quote....point is that Paul was one of the greatest defenders at SS to don a Reds uniform in the past 20 years....one of the best, not the best, but one for sure......if he could've put a offensive stat line similar to Larkins then I think we all would agree that they would be similar.

Janish is a pretty good defensive SS but I don't think he's all that savvy a baseball player. I just got the sense at times that despite the physical gifts that allowed him to make some spectacular defensive plays from time to time sometimes his head just didn't seem in the game. He seemed to play tentative to me.

FWIW, I don't get that sense from Cozart. I've been really pleased with his field presence so far.

westofyou
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

I can't begin to agree... you think Barry got in the HOF on his bat and glove alone?

I say his baseball acumen and his running had a large part to play as well as his leadership abilities.

Put Janish on plastic like Larkin was and he's a different SS, one who is still quite the ways behind Barry's skillset

camisadelgolf
07-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Janish: all glove and nothing else. That has value, and there's nothing wrong with it. However, there was no need for him in the organization, especially given his contract status, so I'm just glad the Reds got something useful in the trade, even if Redmond turns out to be just a AAAA player.