PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis fans on stltoday.com

Redlegs
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
What percentage of fans are represented by the attitudes and opinions expressed on team message boards? Would u say 20%?

Having read a lot of threads on stltoday.com, it makes defeating the Cardinals even sweeter. U'd never know they actually lost the division by 5 or 6 games to the Brewers last year based on the attitudes of those on the board. Why it's almost as if they've taken on the persona of their former manager.

One thing's for sure; They can't stand anything Cincy.

PuffyPig
07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Less than 1%.

Redlegs
07-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I think it's higher than that, Puffy. But the crazies are probably/hopefully more in line with your number. As is the callers to listener ratio on sports talk radio.

PuffyPig
07-14-2012, 11:48 PM
The posters who dominate a board are no way representaive of team's fan base.

We are often talking about 20 posters out of hundred's of thousands of fans.

I stand by less than 1%. And it's quite a bit less than 1%.

paulrichjr
07-15-2012, 02:17 AM
A side note but my youngest son (13) went out west with his cousin and on the way back landed in St. Louis yesterday. He said that numerous people in the airport "noticed" his Reds cap and one man told him "he shouldn't wear that cap in this city.".

This rivalry is getting bigger by the day.

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 04:31 AM
A side note but my youngest son (13) went out west with his cousin and on the way back landed in St. Louis yesterday. He said that numerous people in the airport "noticed" his Reds cap and one man told him "he shouldn't wear that cap in this city.".

Like I said, they hate anything to do with Cincy. They even hate our beloved Thom Brennaman.....

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893182&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Vottomatic
07-15-2012, 09:35 AM
There are always going to be those fans who think they're so much better than everyone else, like UK fans and Xavier fans for instance. St. Louis fans have an imaginery sense of entitlement.

Joseph
07-15-2012, 09:38 AM
As a UK fan I take offense to that. :)

BCubb2003
07-15-2012, 09:39 AM
That's probably the equivalent of the Cincinnati.com board, which was nothing like the always insightful, well-reasoned and even-tempered RedsZone.

Vottomatic
07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
As a UK fan I take offense to that. :)

Sorry. Forgot some of you were UK fans.

But honestly, you'd think by now that Big Blue would already know their fanbase is a bit overboard, wouldn't you think? Really other than horseracing, college basketball is everything in Kentucky.

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 09:44 AM
The funny thing is this; Some on their board have insisted there is no rivalry between the two clubs. They say the rivalry only exists in the heads of the Reds and their fans. Yet their board is peppered with discussions about the Redlegs, even when they're not playing each other.

Crumbley
07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
He said that numerous people in the airport "noticed" his Reds cap and one man told him "he shouldn't wear that cap in this city."
Classiest fans on the planet.

Sea Ray
07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Sorry. Forgot some of you were UK fans.

But honestly, you'd think by now that Big Blue would already know their fanbase is a bit overboard, wouldn't you think? Really other than horseracing, college basketball is everything in Kentucky.

Kentucky also makes some very good bourbon...

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 12:48 PM
The thing that gets me the most is the fact they absolutely blame 100% of the brawl on Phillips and continue to hold Cueto responsible for ending the career of Jason LaRue and his 2010 .196 batting average. They give a pass to Chris Carpenter, and LaRue, insisting they were the victims. Fact is Jason LaRue was trying his level best to get at Cueto. Hate to see anyone injured, but those were the facts.

While Phillips said some things in the media, Molina started the brawl. The Cardinals picked a fight that night and a fight is what they got. It's pretty much over with now, except when that prima donna LaRussa gets involved with anything involving the two clubs. He should just shut the hell up and get drunk and pet his dogs. Just don't drive, Tony.

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Classiest fans on the planet.

:thumbup: Just ask them and they'll tell u as much!

Joseph
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I was speaking in jest about being offended. I know there are some real arrogant folks in big blue nation. However I do agree with the sentiment that all fans shouldn't be lumped together. Even Cards fans.

Joseph
07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

We make the ONLY bourbon here in Kentucky. :)

RBA
07-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Probably thought the cap was Gang Related.

DGullett35
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM

I live in Northern Ohio where its mostly Indian fans and they ask me all the time why Im wearing a Reds cap. Anyways I was curious so I went to stltoday.com. Wow no offense but I thought the Sundeck could be bad but stltoday was 100x worse. Kind of reminded me of the Fire Dusty talk with the fire Matheny threads and boy do they hate Thom Brennamen. You would have never thought they won a World Series last year. Also I thought Stubbs was disliked around here but Tyler Greene takes the cake. There were comments about how he must be sleeping with someone in the front office because he shouldnt be on the team. Man it was actually comical reading the stuff.

traderumor
07-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I live in Northern Ohio where its mostly Indian fans and they ask me all the time why Im wearing a Reds cap. Anyways I was curious so I went to stltoday.com. Wow no offense but I thought the Sundeck could be bad but stltoday was 100x worse. Kind of reminded me of the Fire Dusty talk with the fire Matheny threads and boy do they hate Thom Brennamen. You would have never thought they won a World Series last year. Also I thought Stubbs was disliked around here but Tyler Greene takes the cake. There were comments about how he must be sleeping with someone in the front office because he shouldnt be on the team. Man it was actually comical reading the stuff.
What, no mention of Mike Matheny's daughter?

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I think it's very difficult to stay mad at Brandon Phillips. Even though he's soundly booed at Busch Stadium, I think they've moved on. Cueto and Dusty, not so much. Nonetheless, the Reds continue to occupy their minds.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893295

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893195

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893261

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893187

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893213

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow, this rivalry has actually taken traction. It's not a real rivalry until you're embedded under the skin of your opponent.

With the Cubs not being a worthy "rival" at this time (that's the Cards' "real" rival, let's not lose sight of that) and with the Reds never having a true "rival" (unless you count the LA Dodgers back in the day, which is a stretch) ... this is an honest-to-god rivalry. I love it.

Blitz Dorsey
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I was speaking in jest about being offended. I know there are some real arrogant folks in big blue nation. However I do agree with the sentiment that all fans shouldn't be lumped together. Even Cards fans.

You're a Kentucky fan, I'm an Ohio State fan, there's bunch of UC and Xavier fans on here (and fans of many other college teams) ... and you know what's cool? During baseball season, thanks to the Reds, we're all on the same team.

:beerme:

Big Klu
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Like I said, they hate anything to do with Cincy. They even hate our beloved Thom Brennaman.....

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893182&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Yet I doubt that they had a problem with Joe "Nepotism" Buck and Tim McCarver calling the World Series last year.

oregonred
07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Yet I doubt that they had a problem with Joe "Nepotism" Buck and Tim McCarver calling the World Series last year.

The home of the smug Dan Dierdorf should never carp about poor national TV annoucement.

paulrichjr
07-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Probably thought the cap was Gang Related.

Uhh...no. It was a cap that spelled out Cincinnati Reds on it. Not the wishbone C cap.

BCubb2003
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
There were comments about how he must be sleeping with someone in the front office because he shouldnt be on the team. Man it was actually comical reading the stuff.

Sounds familiar, actually.

vaticanplum
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Wait, Tom Brennaman is beloved? Someone forgot to tell me this.

Always Red
07-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Which is one of the best things about living right here in Cincitucky. :D

Always Red
07-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Now, that's funny! :beerme:

Truth be told, once Theo Epstein has the Cubs with better players, the old Cardinals-Cubs hate will FAR surpass the Reds/Cards rivalry on the past couple of years.

It's fun. Reminds me of how we all used to hate the Dodgers years ago.

I still love Hal King, for what he did on July 1, 1973.

RichRed
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Same here; I think he's pretty awful. On the other hand, if he's got Cards fans in a lather, I might have to reevaluate.

Always Red
07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Same here; I think he's pretty awful. On the other hand, if he's got Cards fans in a lather, I might have to reevaluate.

I will say this for Thom- he is a huge Reds fan (and Cincinnati fan in general), and love him or hate him, he is always very pro-Cincinnati in his national comments.

I like him just for that, if nothing else.

SirFelixCat
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Wow, that forum is...*censored*

Best fans in MLB!

RBA
07-15-2012, 06:55 PM

:thumbup:

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Thommy's a neighborhood guy. Like it's been stated; He loves Cincinnati. Wears his heart on his sleeve too much sometimes on the FSOhio broadcasts, but that's why we have the Creeper there to keep him in line. Love the fact he gets under St Louis fans' skin.

WVRedsFan
07-15-2012, 11:37 PM
We make the ONLY bourbon here in Kentucky. :)

Agreed. Totally.

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
This is all they got after being swept....

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893400

WVRedsFan
07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Now, that's funny! :beerme:

Truth be told, once Theo Epstein has the Cubs with better players, the old Cardinals-Cubs hate will FAR surpass the Reds/Cards rivalry on the past couple of years.

It's fun. Reminds me of how we all used to hate the Dodgers years ago.

I still love Hal King, for what he did on July 1, 1973.

Whataya mean? Still hate the Dodgers. Still love Vin Scully, though.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 12:57 AM

This doesn't surprise me at all. On Friday after the game there was a group of Cardinals fans at Fountain Square mocking and making fun of some World Choir Games participants from Turkey and South Africa. They were derogatorily imitating their accents and one of the Cards girls said "well, at least they don't smell."

It was pathetic and really hard to refrain from saying something to them. I just hope if anyone else - especially an international visitor - overheard these idiots that they realize they're not from Cincinnati.

St. Louis fans seem really bush league and small town to me. Honestly, telling someone who's changing planes at an airport not to wear Reds stuff there? These people really must not get out much.

I'd much rather develop a rivalry with the Pirates - they're closer, the fans are better and there's already a lot of historic sports animosity between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (Bengals/Steelers, UC/Pitt, multiple playoff matchups, etc.).

WVPacman
07-16-2012, 01:03 AM
All I have to say to the Cardinals fans is

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!:D

Caveat Emperor
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM

He has a man-crush on several dudes -- I wouldn't be surprised if Alberto Callaspo returned the affection.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
You guys are going off of what the STLtoday forum as a template for what Cardinals fans feel? That is one of the most vile, Kevin Slaten loving, stay in mom's basement, internet posting sites in St. Louis. It's awful. Some of the dumbest things I have ever heard have come from the posters on that site. I go one there every once in a while but only to debunk the idiocy of some of those people. The real laugher is this stupid hate for Matt Holliday. While every team in the majors would love to have Holliday (including the Reds), he is overpaid and not "clutch" to a good chunk of the posters on there. It's ridiculous.

That said, I do have to agree with the sentiment about Brennaman. I've never been a fan of his. I always found during his national broadcasts he seems fake and disingenuous. Furthermore, I was annoyed yesterday about the Reds love fest that seemed to be going on. It's fine for a Reds broadcast but it was annoying that about 80% of the broadcast was taken up with Reds talk instead of an equal share of the attention like in a national broadcast.

kaldaniels
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
You guys are going off of what the STLtoday forum as a template for what Cardinals fans feel? That is one of the most vile, Kevin Slaten loving, stay in mom's basement, internet posting sites in St. Louis. It's awful. Some of the dumbest things I have ever heard have come from the posters on that site. I go one there every once in a while but only to debunk the idiocy of some of those people. The real laugher is this stupid hate for Matt Holliday. While every team in the majors would love to have Holliday (including the Reds), he is overpaid and not "clutch" to a good chunk of the posters on there. It's ridiculous.

That said, I do have to agree with the sentiment about Brennaman. I've never been a fan of his. I always found during his national broadcasts he seems fake and disingenuous. Furthermore, I was annoyed yesterday about the Reds love fest that seemed to be going on. It's fine for a Reds broadcast but it was annoying that about 80% of the broadcast was taken up with Reds talk instead of an equal share of the attention like in a national broadcast.

If you thought that was bad, imagine what it was like for Reds fans to endure Grande during Cardinals games. :laugh:

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

I wouldn't go off of that as a measure about rivalry. This town is just Cardinals crazy and some will do that, unfortunately, to people here. Heck, I was wearing a St. Louis Blues tee shirt a couple of weeks ago and the idiot said "Hey, you shouldn't be wearing that, hockey season is over". I simply responded "umm... hockey season is never over for me. Please go away".

I would assume that you get those kinds of people though in every city. Try wearing a Red Sox shirt in NY, see how far you get.

Sea Ray
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM

I agree on Thom Brennaman. He was a poor choice to do a national game. He announced it like he does for the FSN games to the home crowd. He should have toned it down for a game of the week telecast. In the future Fox should have Thom do non-Reds games on Saturday afternoons

M2
07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Try wearing a Red Sox shirt in NY, see how far you get.

You'd walk around all day and no one would say boo to you. NYC is jam-packed with people wearing Sox gear.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
You'd walk around all day and no one would say boo to you. NYC is jam-packed with people wearing Sox gear.

lol doubt it.

_Sir_Charles_
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
lol doubt it.

He's right. They're everywhere up there. Sure, you'll see a ton of Yanks shirts too, but he's still right.

camisadelgolf
07-16-2012, 12:37 PM
That's probably the equivalent of the Cincinnati.com board, which was nothing like the always insightful, well-reasoned and even-tempered RedsZone.
qft

M2
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
lol doubt it.

I've lived in NYC. Go there regularly. You see Sox gear all over the place. I've worn a Sox cap all through NYC and to a Yankees game (not because I'm a Sox fan, but I'm from Boston, my Sox cap was all I had with me and it was a hot day). Didn't get so much as one cross look. You see Yankees gear all over Boston too.

In short, you're wrong on this one.

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
lol doubt it.

As someone who has lived in NYC for a long time now, I agree with the others that you probably wouldn't be bothered. As long as you're not loudly boasting about the Red Sox or as long as you're not kicking back some cold ones in a bar.

However, wearing Yankees gear in Boston, you're going to get hammered. Maybe even physically.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
As a frequent visitor to NYC, including this year for the Reds/Yankees series at the Stadium, I've seen plenty of Boston Red Sox fans in the city and never heard one word said toward them. There are even some bars in midtown with Red Sox flags flying above their doors. It's New York - you'll find flags of just about every pro and college team flying somewhere.

New York isn't some insecure, small farm town.

As for STL fans whining about Thom Brennaman on the national broadcast, frankly, they can deal with it. How often do we have to hear Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on Fox? And not a night goes by on MLB Network that Greg Amsinger doesn't remind everyone that he's a diehard Cardinals fan.

M2
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
However, wearing Yankees gear in Boston, you're going to get hammered. Maybe even physically.

Wrong. You're a little more likely to hear a random comment, but people here mostly could care less if you wear Yankees gear. Boston's got plenty of Yankees fans walking its streets. Always has.

I'm married to a Yankees fan. When we go to Sox-Yankees games at Fenway there aren't brawls breaking out all over the park, and you've thousands of Yankees fans attending those games, wearing their gear. Went to Castle Island (in Southie) recently. My wife had on a Yankees t-shirt and Yankees cap. No one cared.

The only place I've ever lived/been to on a regular basis where an out-of-town cap/shirt might touch off an altercation was Philly. But in Philly breathing can set someone off. "Look at Mr. High-and-Mighty breathing through his nose."

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
As a frequent visitor to NYC, including this year for the Reds/Yankees series at the Stadium, I've seen plenty of Boston Red Sox fans in the city and never heard one word said toward them. There are even some bars in midtown with Red Sox flags flying above their doors. It's New York - you'll find flags of just about every pro and college team flying somewhere.

New York isn't some insecure, small farm town.

As for STL fans whining about Thom Brennaman on the national broadcast, frankly, they can deal with it. How often do we have to hear Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on Fox? And not a night goes by on MLB Network that Greg Amsinger doesn't remind everyone that he's a diehard Cardinals fan.

Like Joe Buck or not, at least he's fair in his broadcasts. He gives equal time to both teams.

redsmetz
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Actually I'm not a great fan of Thom's. I think he pontificates too much and sometimes is just full of it. A couple of things rankled me on Saturday. First, about the rain, he says, a "typical midwestern" day or something like that. Thom it hasn't rained anything significant in over a month. Good heavens, this was not typical of late.

Secondly, he's generally isn't much of a homer while doing the national broadcasts, I was really bugged that he made no mention whatsoever of the World Choir Games having occurred here and which were concluding that evening. That's just added color to whatever city you're in and it was frustrating that he didn't give our city a shout out on something that was fairly big. Actually I'm surprised Fox didn't have some ready quick clips of it as one of those human interest things they drop into the broadcasts.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Wrong. You're a little more likely to hear a random comment, but people here mostly could care less if you wear Yankees gear. Boston's got plenty of Yankees fans walking its streets. Always has.

I'm married to a Yankees fan. When we go to Sox-Yankees games at Fenway there aren't brawls breaking out all over the park, and you've thousands of Yankees fans attending those games, wearing their gear. Went to Castle Island (in Southie) recently. My wife had on a Yankees t-shirt and Yankees cap. No one cared.

The only place I've ever lived/been to on a regular basis where an out-of-town cap/shirt might touch off an altercation was Philly. But in Philly breathing can set someone off. "Look at Mr. High-and-Mighty breathing through his nose."

When I lived on the East Coast during the 04 World Series, that wasn't my experience. I got a ton of flack from Boston fans for wearing a Cardinals shirt.

M2
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Like Joe Buck or not, at least he's fair in his broadcasts. He gives equal time to both teams.

I can agree with that. My problem with Buck is the free-form spew of nonsense that flows from his yap. I consider it a good game when he goes heavy on the drivel and light on the factual errors and counter-rational "insight."

M2
07-16-2012, 01:43 PM
When I lived on the East Coast during the 04 World Series, that wasn't my experience. I got a ton of flack from Boston fans for wearing a Cardinals shirt.

I've lived in Boston for 20 years. Your experience was far from typical.

Though 2004 exorcised a lot of demons for Sox fans, so maybe people were working some things out of their system. Had you been walking around in a Rockies cap in 2007, people likely would have bought you a beer and offered some sympathy.

In fact, that's exactly what Cincinnati Chili and I received after the Sox swept the Reds during a homestead a few years back.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I can agree with that. My problem with Buck is the free-form spew of nonsense that flows from his yap. I consider it a good game when he goes heavy on the drivel and light on the factual errors and counter-rational "insight."

I think if he had a different partner, he would be better. Buck is constantly having to make up for McCarver's idiocy. McCarver says some of the dumbest things I have heard on a broadcast being given to us as some sort of brilliant insight on his part.

MWM
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Joe Buck should stick to football. While he's not as bad as Thom, both guys are suited for football and nothing else.

I didn't care much for Thom when he first came over from AZ, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. He's now been in his chair in Cincy for a few years now and is getting very "comfortable". He's getting worse as he gets more cocky and arrogant. And I think Brantley is a bad influence over him as well. Brantley is the worst I've ever heard in any sport, IMO.

M2
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I think if he had a different partner, he would be better. Buck is constantly having to make up for McCarver's idiocy. McCarver says some of the dumbest things I have heard on a broadcast being given to us as some sort of brilliant insight on his part.

Of the two I prefer McCarver. He at least has the occasional amusing story to offer up.

bucksfan2
07-16-2012, 01:50 PM

I would rather listen to someone drag their finger nails across a chalk board than listen to Joe Buck do a game. He is the most self righteous, smug, announcer today. I wish Fox would dump his act and get someone fresh in there.

M2
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I didn't care much for Thom when he first came over from AZ, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. He's now been in his chair in Cincy for a few years now and is getting very "comfortable". He's getting worse as he gets more cocky and arrogant.

Apparently it's in his genes. "I learned by watching you, dad! I learned by watching you!"

BCubb2003
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd like to take this moment to say that Chris Welsh is one of the most underrated announcers in the game. Does his homework, doesn't take himself too seriously, knows some SABR. Even his radio play-by-play is getting pretty good.

pedro
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Joe Buck should stick to football. While he's not as bad as Thom, both guys are suited for football and nothing else.

I didn't care much for Thom when he first came over from AZ, but he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now. He's now been in his chair in Cincy for a few years now and is getting very "comfortable". He's getting worse as he gets more cocky and arrogant. And I think Brantley is a bad influence over him as well. Brantley is the worst I've ever heard in any sport, IMO.

As an announcer I loathe Thom. A fact that is only made worse by the fact that he was a member of the most obnoxious Fraternity on campus (the Betas) when he was at Ohio University (I was not in a Fraternity). TMBS, I have friends in Cincinnati who know Thom socially through mutual friends who say he has been nothing but nice whenever they see him at parties and they say they actually like him quite a lot.

bucksfan2
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I'd like to take this moment to say that Chris Welsh is one of the most underrated announcers in the game. Does his homework, doesn't take himself too seriously, knows some SABR. Even his radio play-by-play is getting pretty good.

I liken Chris Welsh to Jeff Brantly in that I enjoy listening to them do the color. Welsh is better overall but I have always felt Brantly is very good when it comes to pitchers. The problem I have with both of those two is they can't do the play by play by themselves. Its maddening when a game goes to extras and Brantly gets the call by himself. I really wish the Reds broadcast teams would stop doing that, just have both do the entire game.

camisadelgolf
07-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I agree 100%. If you're into sound clips, he leaves a little to be desired, but other than that, he's better than anyone else the Reds currently employ for the position.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Of the two I prefer McCarver. He at least has the occasional amusing story to offer up.

I have never heard anyone who liked McCarver until now.

pedro
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM

He's much better than Joe Buck IMO.

Although even Joe Buck makes Chip Carey palatable.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I liken Chris Welsh to Jeff Brantly in that I enjoy listening to them do the color. Welsh is better overall but I have always felt Brantly is very good when it comes to pitchers. The problem I have with both of those two is they can't do the play by play by themselves. Its maddening when a game goes to extras and Brantly gets the call by himself. I really wish the Reds broadcast teams would stop doing that, just have both do the entire game.

Welsh can't do play-by-play for radio. His call of the Ludwick walkoff HR the other day was atrocious. I was so excited to hear it thinking it would be memorable, then I hear Welsh start announcing the play and I knew it would underwhelm, which it did.

Something to the effect of: "Line drive ... gone!"

Really? Way to paint the picture Chris. :thumbdown:

Scrap Irony
07-16-2012, 02:50 PM
To be fair, that was a laser no one expected to be a game-winning homer.

I really think Welsh has become a solid announcer. Love that he's got a little Joe in his color. ("Get outta here! Get out!") I also like Brantley as a color guy.

Buck sucks eggs. McCarver's almost as poor, but, yeah, Carey's the worst.

Tom Servo
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I personally don't listen to radio broadcasts, but I'd give Welsh a mulligan on them considering his primary job is TV announcer. And I agree with the appreciation for him, he's really good at his job. I also find him to be one of the best in terms of fairness, obviously he wants the Reds to win but he doesn't come off as whining/complaining when the Reds screw something up (like another certain broadcaster), more like a stern dad who explains what they did wrong. And he doesn't ever insult the other team or their ballpark (ahem).

fearofpopvol1
07-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Not wrong in my own experiences the times I've been in Boston. I've seen it firsthand multiple times. And a Red Sox/Yankees game with Yankees gear? Or even a Red Sox game with a fan wearing Yankees gear? Fah-get about it.

M2
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Not wrong in my own experiences the times I've been in Boston. I've seen it firsthand multiple times. And a Red Sox/Yankees game with Yankees gear? Or even a Red Sox game with a fan wearing Yankees gear? Fah-get about it.

Apparently my wife exudes an aura of being a karate master when we go to Sox game and she's in Yankees gear. She's 5'4", 110 lbs of caged fury.

Seriously, I'm in the Fenway all the time. Yankees gear all over the place. No one bats an eye.

M2
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Buck sucks eggs. McCarver's almost as poor, but, yeah, Carey's the worst.

Wait, we're not counting Hawk Harrelson are we? I find White Sox broadcasts painful, a toxic coupling of no insight and bad schtick.

lollipopcurve
07-16-2012, 04:49 PM
First game at Fenway I ever took my sons to was vs. the Angels. My younger son was wearing a Yankee cap. 2 or 3 comments directed his way by adults. He was about 5 years old at the time. He never wore the Yankees cap again.

pedro
07-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I think it matters where you sit sometimes. We recently went to see the Reds play in SF and with the exception of one drunk moron yelling "The Reds Suckkkkk" on our way out after the game, nobody said a thing. However, had we sat in the LF bleachers I'm pretty sure that we might have met a few more loudmouths who had nothing better to do than make trouble.

Always Red
07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Wait, we're not counting Hawk Harrelson are we? I find White Sox broadcasts painful, a toxic coupling of no insight and bad schtick.

Yeah, but I loved it when he and Don Drysdale were working together back in the mid 80's for the White Sox (I lived in Chicago at the time). Double D was actually pretty good, and they made it seem like you were sitting there with them, having a few beers, talking baseball.

Scrap Irony
07-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Forgot about Harrelson. You can put him on the board (of modern announcers).... YES!

Speaking of YES!, John Stearns' nicknames need a place to go and die. The Gandy Man?

Ick.

Redlegs
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM

We have a winner! I think The Creeper is the best of all Reds announcers.

Sea Ray
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
We have a winner! I think The Creeper is the best of all Reds announcers.

Speaking of Reds announcers, anyone know when Marty's coming back? How many days does he get off this year anyway?

gilpdawg
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM

Is there a Cards board where people aren't total goobers? I'd like to check it out occasionally if there is one.

gilpdawg
07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
I liked McCarver in the 80s and early 90s, but I may have been too young to know better then. I cannot stand Joe Buck, and it's not anti-St.Louis bias, because I loved his dad. I was mad when CBS stopped using him for the playoffs in 92ish.

The fact that Jon Miller doesn't have a national gig right now is criminal. Love that guy. When the Reds play the Giants I try to listen to their feed if I'm listening on radio. Fox should make him the lead announcer, since Joe Buck hates baseball anyway, and admits it.

marcshoe
07-17-2012, 12:31 AM
I loved Jack Buck. When I was growing up, after Reds games I'd try to tune in either Bernie Harwell or Buck. I gave hi son a lot of chances, but finally gave up on him. He's as arrogant and smarmy as anybody out there. Strangely, I thought that McCarver was better in the postseason last year than I'd ever heard him. Not nearly as obvious as usual.

And yeah, Chris Welsh has become my all time favotite Reds Color guy.

The Operator
07-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Papa Buck was largely before my time, but I'll say this. I've watched the 1990 World Series about a billion times on VHS and he acted almost sick to the stomach when The Reds would score runs, etc. Yet when The A's did anything remotely positive, his voice got as cheerful as a kid on Christmas morning.

On Eric Davis' shot off Stewart in Game 1 his call went like this: "There's a deep fly ball and it's going to... (voice becomes frustrated)... Go."

And then when the fans went wild, he mocked them by saying "Well, you'd think they just won The World Series."

Hollcat
07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Forgot about Harrelson. You can put him on the board (of modern announcers).... YES!

Speaking of YES!, John Stearns' nicknames need a place to go and die. The Gandy Man?

Ick.

John Sterling is his name. He's really not bad to listen too as long as the yanks don't hit a hr or win the game.

Tom Servo
07-17-2012, 01:41 AM
The first time I heard Hawk Harrelson's home run call I thought it was a parody.

Sea Ray
07-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Papa Buck was largely before my time, but I'll say this. I've watched the 1990 World Series about a billion times on VHS and he acted almost sick to the stomach when The Reds would score runs, etc. Yet when The A's did anything remotely positive, his voice got as cheerful as a kid on Christmas morning.

On Eric Davis' shot off Stewart in Game 1 his call went like this: "There's a deep fly ball and it's going to... (voice becomes frustrated)... Go."

And then when the fans went wild, he mocked them by saying "Well, you'd think they just won The World Series."

I'm going to show my age but have you ever listened to the 1975 WS with Curt Gowdy? It was horrible for Reds fans. He used to be the Bosox PBP guy and it showed. Also at that time they were in the post Babe Ruth drought/curse whatever you want to call it. He clearly wanted to see the Bosox win that

George Anderson
07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm going to show my age but have you ever listened to the 1975 WS with Curt Gowdy? It was horrible for Reds fans. He used to be the Bosox PBP guy and it showed. Also at that time they were in the post Babe Ruth drought/curse whatever you want to call it. He clearly wanted to see the Bosox win that

Gowdy and his homerism towards the Reds Sox made alot of noise during the WS and after.

BCubb2003
07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
John Sterling is his name. He's really not bad to listen too as long as the yanks don't hit a hr or win the game.

Had the legendary call, "It is high, it is far ... it is caught."

The Operator
07-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm going to show my age but have you ever listened to the 1975 WS with Curt Gowdy? It was horrible for Reds fans. He used to be the Bosox PBP guy and it showed. Also at that time they were in the post Babe Ruth drought/curse whatever you want to call it. He clearly wanted to see the Bosox win thatI've only seen the "greatest hits" of the 1975 WS, unfortunately.

Although my dad, on the other hand, still talks about Curt Gowdy to this day. Any time I complain about a TV announcer I get a "You should have been there when Curt Gowdy was doing the '75 series."

My dad is generally not a big critic of TV guys, so for him to still hold a grudge over that he must have been really, really bad.

marcshoe
07-17-2012, 12:44 PM
It was. Gowdy was almost as irritating as baseball-hating Cosell. He's a beloved figure now, though, so you don't hear too much about it, but I grew up wishing he'd just retire and be done with it.

George Anderson
07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s480x480/208861_410045339031554_843304737_n.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I've only seen the "greatest hits" of the 1975 WS, unfortunately.

Although my dad, on the other hand, still talks about Curt Gowdy to this day. Any time I complain about a TV announcer I get a "You should have been there when Curt Gowdy was doing the '75 series."

My dad is generally not a big critic of TV guys, so for him to still hold a grudge over that he must have been really, really bad.

He was openly very disappointed that the Reds, not the Red Sox, won that series. On the final out, he was totally deflated.

SirFelixCat
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s480x480/208861_410045339031554_843304737_n.jpg

Awesome!

westofyou
07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
He was openly very disappointed that the Reds, not the Red Sox, won that series. On the final out, he was totally deflated.

He was the Red Sox radio announcer for 15 years, wedded to the belief that he would see them win... when they did he must have decided he could die, he was gone 14 months later

Sea Ray
07-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Just to add one more point here, his partner, Tony Kubeck could pronounce names like Yastrzemski and Petrocelli but had trouble with "Perez", referring to him as Tony Pairez

marcshoe
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Just to add one more point here, his partner, Tony Kubeck could pronounce names like Yastrzemski and Petrocelli but had trouble with "Perez", referring to him as Tony Pairez

He did it intentionally, even, and would argue with anyone who said he was mispronouncing the name.

George Anderson
07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

Actually it is Kubek.

Tony can't say Perez and you can't spell Kubek. ;)

Sea Ray
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Actually it is Kubek.

Tony can't say Perez and you can't spell Kubek. ;)

Good one...:thumbup:

Thanks for the correction

Cooper
07-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Welsh said he lost the ball when Ludwick hit the home run. I give him a pass- he's sabr, he's had to put up with George Grande for all these years, and he's smart.

Curt Gowdy--ugh...

My biggest Monday NIght Baseball memory was the opening that had a Pete Rose montage and the music with it was Bob Seger's "Still the Same". The words in the song were prophetic, in that, they talk about a gambler's life (heck, it's probably about a girl...idk). Does anyone remember this happening...the Rose montage number?

Here's the words:

You always won everytime you placed a bet
You're still damn good
No one's gotten to you yet
Everytime they were sure they had you caught
You were quicker than they thought
You'd just turn your back and walk

You always said
The cards would never do you wrong
The trick you said
Was never play the game too long
A gambler's share
The only risk that you would take
The only loss you could forsake
The only bluff you couldn't fake

And you're still the same
I caught up with you yesterday
Moving game to game
No one standing in your way
Turning on the charm
Long enough to get you by
You're still the same
You still aim high

There you stood
Everybody watched you play
I just turned and walked away
I had nothing left to say
'Cause you're still the same
You're still the same
Moving game to game
Some things never change
You're still the same

mth123
07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Welsh said he lost the ball when Ludwick hit the home run. I give him a pass- he's sabr, he's had to put up with George Grande for all these years, and he's smart.

Curt Gowdy--ugh...

My biggest Monday NIght Baseball memory was the opening that had a Pete Rose montage and the music with it was Bob Seger's "Still the Same". The words in the song were prophetic, in that, they talk about a gambler's life (heck, it's probably about a girl...idk). Does anyone remember this happening...the Rose montage number?

Here's the words:

You always won everytime you placed a bet
You're still damn good
No one's gotten to you yet
Everytime they were sure they had you caught
You were quicker than they thought
You'd just turn your back and walk

You always said
The cards would never do you wrong
The trick you said
Was never play the game too long
A gambler's share
The only risk that you would take
The only loss you could forsake
The only bluff you couldn't fake

And you're still the same
I caught up with you yesterday
Moving game to game
No one standing in your way
Turning on the charm
Long enough to get you by
You're still the same
You still aim high

There you stood
Everybody watched you play
I just turned and walked away
I had nothing left to say
'Cause you're still the same
You're still the same
Moving game to game
Some things never change
You're still the same

Remember it like it was yesterday. I always wished they'd show it again.