PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 7/15

Boss-Hog
07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm posting this for chicoruiz who is away from a computer until later today.

Reds:

Ryan Wagner (30) -Once the league figured out that his out pitch wasn't a strike, it got ugly pretty fast...

Chris Denorfia (32) -He fooled me; I never thought he'd amount to much, but as a guy who can play all three outfield spots and hit .280, he has some real value.

Jung Bong (32) -Remembered less for his pitching than for his name causing a certain amount of silliness on the part of the less mature members of RZ....hee hee...

Bruce Edwards -Played ever so briefly for the 1956 Reds; otherwise his claim to fame is being the Dodgers catcher right before Roy Campanella.

Bubbles Hargrave -.300-hitting catcher of the 1920s Reds teams..He had a brother in major league ball nicknamed "Pinky"; I guess they were in some sort of sibling worst-nickname contest. At any rate he hated the name "Bubbles" and much preferred his given name of Eugene.

Others:

Donn Clendenon -1B remembered for refusing to report to the Astros after Montreal attempted to trade him there. He eventually ended up with the Mets, where he became the MVP of the 1969 World Series...Later became a lawyer.

Edskin
07-15-2012, 12:41 PM
As a kid, got to meet and eat lunch with Clendenon--very nice man.

mth123
07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Had Clendenon not refused to go to the Astros, they may have had no interest in Lee May, which of course would leave Morgan, Billingham and Geronimo in Houston.. Clendenon'a refusal may have changed Baseball history

Bob Borkowski
07-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Had Clendenon not refused to go to the Astros, they may have had no interest in Lee May, which of course would leave Morgan, Billingham and Geronimo in Houston.. Clendenon'a refusal may have changed Baseball history

I like this kind of thinking. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone and Ray Bradbury and Somewhere in Time.