PDA

View Full Version : Metrics vs. Eyeballs

redssince75
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Where do you come down on which is more important? I'm not much of a "metrics" guy but I do think additional numbers beyond ERA and wins (for pitchers) and RBIs and avg (for hitters) are helpful. I would like to know how a guy does in situationals like runners on 2nd or 3rd, less than 2 outs, against lefties. But for stuff like park-adjusted WHIP....I can't even start to see how that minute a detail is helpful beyond what we already know. Can he hit, or not?

For fielders, I think stats beyond errors are almost worthless. The most important part of a fielder is range...how does fielding percentage help you determine range? I could stand in one spot and field 100% of the balls hit right at me, but I'd still be the worst fielder in the league. I think a trained baseball eye can tell a lot more about fielders than stats can...like, "I've never seen a guuy get to a ball like that before." Or like BP's numerous tricky ways to get the ball to Cozart (like between his legs, LOVED that one). Stats can't measure that.

Ironman92
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Prefer my eyes....but understand the importance of most metrics.

Do not like the defensive ones and not much on the pitching ones.

Kingspoint
07-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Prefer my eyes....but understand the importance of most metrics.

Do not like the defensive ones and not much on the pitching ones.Agree. I'll use metrics to find where I've missed something or been wrong about something, while metrics can fine-tune things you can't measure with your eyes.

improbus
07-16-2012, 08:13 AM
The metrics tell you when you're eyes are lying. The problem with eyeballs is that they tend to hold on to the most memorable individual moments but they really don't have the ability to accurately gauge long trends. Adam Dunn and J.D. Drew are the two ultimate examples of it. Dunn's strikeouts cloud your judgment of his offensive worth, and Drew's seemingly lackadaisical attitude belie some pretty solid seasons.

Another fun example is arguing with my dad and his brothers about who was the best player on the Big Red Machine. You'll hear Bench, Rose, and Morgan, but the clear answer (particularly in 75 and 76) was Morgan. His 1976 season is one of the greatest statistical seasons of all time.

smixsell
07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Like all data, it's very useful in the right hands and almost worhtless in the wrong hands.

.......And most baseball fans fall into the latter category IMO.