PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Cincy fans tonight.

Redlegs
07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
The fans made this weekend feel like late September. Had to get the players jacked up all weekend and especially on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, when the world was watching. Good things going on down by the river.

johngalt
07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
The fans made this weekend feel like late September. Had to get the players jacked up all weekend and especially on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, when the world was watching. Good things going on down by the river.

Very well said. Over 117,000 total attendance for the 3 games was awesome. I know the players would love to have that kind of atmosphere as much as possible. Tonight, especially at the end of the game, you could feel a real home field advantage.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
We did the #RedsTweetUp thing tonight. It was a gas. Great ballgame.

11larkin11
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
I'll be at my first game since 2009 Saturday. Cannot wait, so excited.

WVPacman
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I loved that atmasphere all weekend b/c thats how its suppose to be when your team is good and the reds are good.Now the question is will the cincy fans keep going and have 40 thousand in the seats everynight.I hope so!!!!

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I was driving back from Cleveland during the game and couldn't watch. But I listened to the entire game and wow the crowd sounded electric on the radio - especially in the later innings. Great job to any and all who were there!

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
The crowd was good, but not great. It had its moments, but I have been in more electric crowds than the one tonight by far. Also, the guy behind me had about 10 beers too many.

RedlegJake
07-16-2012, 02:20 AM
I just wanted them to quit the freakin' booing when that darn Molina came up!!!

Nathan
07-16-2012, 02:36 AM
I just wanted them to quit the freakin' booing when that darn Molina came up!!!

They did-When they were preoccupied with the wave. :rolleyes:

Redlegs
07-16-2012, 07:21 AM
I think Molina needs to continued to get booed and get dusted off the plate as well.

kbrake
07-16-2012, 07:45 AM
They did-When they were preoccupied with the wave. :rolleyes:

The wave really needs to stop. Especially in key spots. Other than that seemed like a good crowd last night.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
The wave really needs to stop. Especially in key spots. Other than that seemed like a good crowd last night.

The wave was cool when I first saw it.

Which was at an OSU game in the early 80's when Keith Byars blew out a shoe on a long run. It's time is long gone.

HeatherC1212
07-16-2012, 08:52 AM
BAN THE WAVE PLEASE! :thumbdown:

Last night's game was awesome! I had so much fun even though I'm totally exhausted today at work. :eek: I was also sitting in the Reds Tweet Up section and we had a total blast with most of the folks around us. It was an electric atmosphere and it seemed like everyone was totally into the game (ahem, aside from the random wave...kill me now). The place just erupted when Rolen got that hit to give the Reds the lead and we were all standing and screaming "SWEEP! SWEEP! SWEEP!" for the entire ninth inning. It was pretty awesome and I'm so glad I went even though I'm tired today. It was also an absolute BLAST to watch the Cardinal fans that were sitting in the section to our right leave their seats looking very dejected and bummed out, LOL :laugh: :thumbup:

BTW-Met Dallas Latos at the Tweet Up and she's a pretty awesome person! :D

NJReds
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
It seemed like a great atmosphere watching on ESPN last night. I'm really looking forward to my road trip for the Brewers series this coming weekend.

The Voice of IH
07-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't understand the hate for the wave? It shows unity throughout the crowd. It is the one way to show that everybody has everybody's back.

_Sir_Charles_
07-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Sometimes I think you guys think it's stopped everywhere but Cincy. I've not seen a single stadium where they DON'T still do it. I go to Minute Maid more than anyplace else and it happens there every game. Every game I watch on TV...same deal. Yeah, it's annoying...but it's hardly a cincy phenomenon. And it does have it's purposes....it's for the kids mainly IMO. They love it. We're adults here for the most part, when we were kids we would've liked it too I'm guessing.

KittyDuran
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm just glad that walking around the ballpark there was more Reds shirts/jerseys. I remember when it was commonplace to see Bengals/OSU/UC or just any shirt at a game (red color or not). Wish I was at the Tweetup but the game was part of my season ticket package in the club seats... I do want one of those t-shirts tho'.

The wave? I'm neutral for all the reasons mentioned above, the pros and cons cancel each other out. It does seem that it happens when there is a big crowd more often. If there is ANYTHING that bothers me is the hand clapping with two strikes (unless its for a save). It sounds like encouraging the opposing team to get a hit. :p (IIRC this is the first year GABP has used this)

Love the booing of Molina! Unfortunately, there is the danger that (like BP) he uses it as motivation and hits a HR... which he did. :(

There was a funny moment before the game around the FanZone when some young male Cards fans started chanting "let's go cardinals" "world series champs", etc. As they were leaving the area, some Reds fan chanted "sweep".

Any negatives? Well, as a somewhat vegetarian (I still eat fish and animal by-products) the fare in the club was disappointing with only cheese pizza as a main entree. I guess I should be grateful because there has been a few games were there was no option of cheese. Pasta was with turkey and the little sandwiches was chicken salad. OK, the A/C was great if you could find a a place to sit (so that was worth the $65), but the cell service is almost nil - which is why I usually don't post in my seat and have to go out (the best service is the stairwell behind the gap upper level and around the Redheads field). Also, I use a stylus for my iPhone and always get the attention of security thinking that I'm smoking! (has happened every game).

... and with this series I'm back above .500 w/some breathing room!

/end of .02 post...

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't understand the hate for the wave? It shows unity throughout the crowd. It is the one way to show that everybody has everybody's back.

Drives me nuts. I was trying to watch an important at bat and all of the idiots in front of me are standing up and throwing their hands in the air. If the Reds banned the wave and Gapper, I would be happier than a pig in mud.

KittyDuran
07-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Hey! I'm still in my sleepshirt! Took a vacation day today. There was NO way that I could be productive at work today. :beerme:

KittyDuran
07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
View from my seat... & SWEEP!61586159

TOBTTReds
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Although I don't like the wave, I couldn't care less if it happened in the 4th inning. But it alwaya seems to happen at key moments. Makes it look like the fans are bored or don't care about what happens on the field.

HeatherC1212
07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Hey! I'm still in my sleepshirt! Took a vacation day today. There was NO way that I could be productive at work today. :beerme:

Lucky! :p Being productive at work is something I am failing at spectacularly today...I'm barely conscious at this point, LOL :laugh:

Always Red
07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
The crowd was good, but not great. It had its moments, but I have been in more electric crowds than the one tonight by far. Also, the guy behind me had about 10 beers too many.

Drives me nuts. I was trying to watch an important at bat and all of the idiots in front of me are standing up and throwing their hands in the air. If the Reds banned the wave and Gapper, I would be happier than a pig in mud.

Doug, you're too grumpy for a young guy; loosen up and have some fun with the rest of us idiots!

The Reds just swept the Cards! :beerme:

KittyDuran
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Although I don't like the wave, I couldn't care less if it happened in the 4th inning. But it alwaya seems to happen at key moments. Makes it look like the fans are bored or don't care about what happens on the field.

Very true... :(

kbrake
07-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I realize the wave happens at other stadiums but that doesn't make it ok. And it doesn't happen earlier in the game because sober people don't think it is a good idea to start it. I'm with Doug, ban the wave and Gapper and I'd be thrilled.

Reds Freak
07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
A few wave rules proposed by Mo Egger on his blog today. I'd support these:

1) No waves when one team is within slam range (aka: down by four or less)
2) No waves when elite hitters are batting,
3) No attempts to restart a broken wave when fans stopping waving to cheer something on the field,
4) No waves when something of potential historical significance is happening
5) No getting angry at anti-wave holdovers like me who refuse to participate,
6) If a wave-starter is not getting the response he wants after three attempts, he must sit down immediately,
7) If someone ever asks you what the best part of attending a game was, and you respond by saying "we did the wave," you must never be allowed in again.

Unassisted
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
If the Reds banned the wave and Gapper, I would be happier than a pig in mud.You're not in the target audience for Gapper. Gapper is for the kids. Don't underestimate the power of little kids in their households' entertainment decisionmaking. The Reds want young families in the stands and Gapper might be the ONLY thing that interests those families' little kids enough to make them want to come to the Ball Park.

Think of it this way... Gapper is an ingredient in sellouts.

Oh, and the sale of Gapper merchandise doesn't hurt the bottom line either.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
When I see the wave, I think to myself "the 80's called, they want their gimick back".

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
You're not in the target audience for Gapper. Gapper is for the kids. Don't underestimate the power of little kids in their households' entertainment decisionmaking. The Reds want young families in the stands and Gapper might be the ONLY thing that interests those families' little kids enough to make them want to come to the Ball Park.

Think of it this way... Gapper is an ingredient in sellouts.

Oh, and the sale of Gapper merchandise doesn't hurt the bottom line either.

I find it hard to believe that 'those kids' love Gapper but aren't fans of Rosie or Mr Redlegs.

The Voice of IH
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM

If it's that important of an at-bat, shouldn't you be standing anyway?

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
If it's that important of an at-bat, shouldn't you be standing anyway?
I can't see over peoples arms/hands. I am 5' 10, not 7' 10.

CarolinaRedleg
07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
The ESPN crew went out of their way to talk about the electricity in the ballpark. I think it was Tito that said if it sounds like this in July, imagine what it will sound like in October.

reds1869
07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't like the wave either, but my section has an easy enough way of dealing with it. There are about ten season ticket holders in the same general vicinity and we completely ignore it. I don't get too worked up over it; the wave happens in every ballpark in America. If enough people tire of it they'll stop doing it. That said, alcohol and short attention spans are powerful things!

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Sometimes I think you guys think it's stopped everywhere but Cincy. I've not seen a single stadium where they DON'T still do it. I go to Minute Maid more than anyplace else and it happens there every game. Every game I watch on TV...same deal. Yeah, it's annoying...but it's hardly a cincy phenomenon. And it does have it's purposes....it's for the kids mainly IMO. They love it. We're adults here for the most part, when we were kids we would've liked it too I'm guessing.

I've not seen a single other MLB stadium where they DO still do it - and I've been to at least 15 in the last three years. The only other place I still see it even semi-regularly is in Ohio Stadium, and only if the Buckeyes are up big in the second half and the crowd needs something to do. Just the thought of doing it at a tied Reds game in the 8th inning when the other team is threatening is absurd.

Check out Mo Egger's thought's on the wave in Cincinnati. I agree completely:

http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html

"I propose new rules: No waves when one team is within slam range (aka: down by four or less), no waves when elite hitters are batting, no attempts to restart a broken wave when fans stopping waving to cheer something on the field, no waves when something of potential historical significance is happening (Bronson Arroyo's no-hitter against Milwaukee was broken up a few weeks ago, I believe, because fans were doing the wave in the eighth inning), no getting angry at anti-wave holdovers like me who refuse to participate, if a wave-starter is not getting the response he wants after three attempts, he must sit down immediately, and if someone ever asks you what the best part of attending a game was, and you respond by saying "we did the wave," you must never be allowed in again."

The Voice of IH
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM

People can't do the wave unless everyone is seated first. Waving up your arms usually does not have the effect that throwing your entire body up can.

If it is a major at bat everyone should be on their feet to begin with, such preventing the wave from even starting.

The Voice of IH
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I've not seen a single other MLB stadium where they DO still do it - and I've been to at least 15 in the last three years. The only other place I still see it even semi-regularly is in Ohio Stadium, and only if the Buckeyes are up big in the second half and the crowd needs something to do. Just the thought of doing it at a tied Reds game in the 8th inning when the other team is threatening is absurd.

Cleveland does it.

And I agree that the wave should only take place after good things happen to your team, not when they are in danger of giving up a lead late in the game.

reds1869
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I've not seen a single other MLB stadium where they DO still do it[/I]

Just flipping around on MLB.tv this year I've seen the wave in the following team's parks: Boston, Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Mariners, Padres, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Dodgers Bluejays, Pirates, Brewers and Twins. And those are just the ones I've seen I started keeping track the last time someone insisted that Cincinnati was some provincial backwater for doing the wave.

By the way, the crowd sounded great last night.

MikeThierry
07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Just flipping around on MLB.tv this year I've seen the wave in the following team's parks: Boston, Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Mariners, Padres, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Dodgers Bluejays, Pirates, Brewers and Twins. And those are just the ones I've seen I started keeping track the last time someone insisted that Cincinnati was some provincial backwater for doing the wave.

By the way, the crowd sounded great last night.

Last time I went to a Cardinals game a couple of weeks ago, the wave started.

Caveat Emperor
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
The wave stinks, but if it keeps the ballpark sold out with casual fans, I don't care what the crowd does while I'm there.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Cleveland does it.

And I agree that the wave should only take place after good things happen to your team, not when they are in danger of giving up a lead late in the game.

How? Hard to do a wave with only 15K in the park.

My biggest ballpark complaint is the goofy Mr. Reds Race on the video board. Gapper always interferes with the race, eliminating two of the competitors before they reach home plate. It's so lame.

Give me back the Mr. Reds Race at Riverfront Stadium any day. Those were way more fun:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mr+reds+race+riverfront+stadium&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&rlz=1G1TSND_ENUS443&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=F7imJTulLa6mlM:&imgrefurl=http://omgreds.com/category/mr-red/&docid=aJtgPQ1e6a_tVM&imgurl=http://omgreds.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/mr_red_race.jpg&w=500&h=300&ei=1FEEUMnmCKjk2wWx5J2LCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=163&vpy=158&dur=737&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=124&ty=102&sig=102973470042781514701&page=1&tbnh=105&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:75

Edit: Looks like someone recreated it and put it on Youtube:

Mr. Red Race - test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CugaZqIz3w)

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
People can't do the wave unless everyone is seated first. Waving up your arms usually does not have the effect that throwing your entire body up can.

If it is a major at bat everyone should be on their feet to begin with, such preventing the wave from even starting.

The wave began at the start of the inning. It lasted for 3+ batters. If everyone is seated, everyone can still be able to see the important at bat. Why must you stand? Does standing give you some home field advantage? Can you see better when everyone is standing? Are you louder when you are standing?

REDREAD
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Well, I'm only 5'6" and I have never had that much of a problem with the wave. It's over pretty quick.
The kids do love it (and Gapper too).

I guess I don't understand the hate of the wave.. It's part of being at the park. Unless you get the really expensive seats, you are probably going to miss some things when you see the game live (as opposed to seeing it on TV). I can accept that.

OldXOhio
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I think Molina needs to continued to get booed and get dusted off the plate as well.

If the players have reconciled and let it go, maybe we can too. Sure doesn't seem to help anything.

Roy Tucker
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I don't get mad or hate the wave. But I do think its silly and it time is waaay long gone. Makes us look like a bunch of rubes. It was kinda cool the first 20 times I saw it but that was 30 years ago.

Get off my lawn.

Redlegs
07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
If the players have reconciled and let it go, maybe we can too. Sure doesn't seem to help anything.

Maybe so, but he still needs to be dusted off the plate. Way yonder too comfortable against Cincy at the dish.

_Sir_Charles_
07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I've not seen a single other MLB stadium where they DO still do it - and I've been to at least 15 in the last three years.

Minute Maid...every game
I've also seen it just in the past 2 years at San Diego, Milwaukee, LA, Arizona, St. Louis, Chicago (white sox), Marlins and a few others. Now I can't say if it's a regular occurrence at those places, but I know I've seen it there. Maybe I'm just watching at the right time?

DGullett35
07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
When I went to Progressive Field in Cleveland when the Reds were in town they did it there both nights I attended.

oregonred
07-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Dodgers had the wave going when the Reds were out West a couple weeks ago. Guess LA is one of those backwater, midwest, rustbelt, conservative burghs too...

The Voice of IH
07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
The wave began at the start of the inning. It lasted for 3+ batters. If everyone is seated, everyone can still be able to see the important at bat. Why must you stand? Does standing give you some home field advantage? Can you see better when everyone is standing? Are you louder when you are standing?

You don't agree that 39,000 people standing and screaming in support for the home team does not offer a better advantage than sitting?

dougdirt
07-16-2012, 09:34 PM
You don't agree that 39,000 people standing and screaming in support for the home team does not offer a better advantage than sitting?

Not better than sitting and screaming, no.

blumj
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Minute Maid...every game
I've also seen it just in the past 2 years at San Diego, Milwaukee, LA, Arizona, St. Louis, Chicago (white sox), Marlins and a few others. Now I can't say if it's a regular occurrence at those places, but I know I've seen it there. Maybe I'm just watching at the right time?

Heh, it's definitely a regular occurrence in Boston, and our curmudgeons insist that nobody else does it anymore, too.

membengal
07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Happens in Baltimore at Camden on the regular.

As for blocked views Doug, really? It takes two seconds, tops to pass. As for who likes it?

Kids. My 10-year-old LOVES it. And I refuse to be grumpy with him over something that is fun to do for him at the ballpark.

westofyou
07-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Dodgers had the wave going when the Reds were out West a couple weeks ago. Guess LA is one of those backwater, midwest, rustbelt, conservative burghs too...

They were doing it in SF two weeks ago, albeit poorly, but nonetheless it was the wave. It works better on football games is my feeling

Unassisted
07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
As for who likes it?

Kids. My 10-year-old LOVES it. And I refuse to be grumpy with him over something that is fun to do for him at the ballpark.
Sounds like Dougdirt needs to go to a game with kids to fully understand the appeal of the Wave and Gapper. Anyone going to GABP with a Knothole team soon that needs an extra chaperone? :D

_Sir_Charles_
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Sounds like Dougdirt needs to go to a game with kids to fully understand the appeal of the Wave and Gapper. Anyone going to GABP with a Knothole team soon that needs an extra chaperone? :D

Can a chaperone bring his front porch, rocking chair and water hose? :p

Superdude
07-17-2012, 06:41 PM

I will ground my children if they ever says anything positive about the wave or Gapper. But seriously, why does the wave always start at the most consequential moment of the whole game? If people are so bored during a late inning rally that they have to start a wave, why are they there in the first place? Just takes the focus entirely off the game and ruins the atmosphere. Grumpiness concluded. :)