PDA

View Full Version : Todd Redmond?

OesterPoster
07-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Huh? Cueto not ready to go tonight?

JetSportsManagement ‏@JetSportsMgmt

Trade to call up in 2 days!! Congrats to Todd Redmond on both. The newest Cincinnati Reds big leaguer.
Retweeted by Joel Luckhaupt

OesterPoster
07-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Joel's follow-up Tweet:

Joel Luckhaupt ‏@jluckhaupt

Guessing that Redmond is getting the call in case they need a long man, not to start. Simon's not available tonight. #Reds

10:15 AM - 17 Jul 12 via TweetDeck Details

Homer Bailey
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Does Joel post on here?

TOBTTReds
07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Joel's follow-up Tweet:

Joel Luckhaupt ‏@jluckhaupt

Guessing that Redmond is getting the call in case they need a long man, not to start. Simon's not available tonight. #Reds

10:15 AM - 17 Jul 12 via TweetDeck Details

Wouldn't be surprised if it is a one day call up just in case Cueto can't go, or blister acts up.

mattfeet
07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if it is a one day call up just in case Cueto can't go, or blister acts up.

Agreed. More insurance than anything.

HotCorner
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Agreed. More insurance than anything.

I tend to agree but after yesterday's "it's a scheduled day off" to "out 3-4 weeks" I'm a bit concerned

lollipopcurve
07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't mind it if Bray got DLd. He looks completely lost to me.

Kc61
07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Could be one of three things as I see it.

1. Votto on DL, Redmond takes his spot (13 pitchers) for one or two days.

2. Cueto can't go tonight, Redmond will be needed to start or backup Lecure.

3. Bray being cut or DL'd after last night, Redmond filling in as long man, ultimately to be replaced by Hoover. (Reds need for long man short term, due to Simon's long stint yesterday.)

MikeS21
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Could be one of three things as I see it.

1. Votto on DL, Redmond takes his spot (13 pitchers) for one or two days.

2. Cueto can't go tonight, Redmond will be needed to start or backup Lecure.

3. Bray being cut or DL'd after last night, Redmond filling in as long man, ultimately to be replaced by Hoover. (Reds need for long man short term, due to Simon's long stint yesterday.)
Wonder why not bring up Hoover to begin with? He could start or relieve.

RedsManRick
07-17-2012, 11:51 AM

I feel like these kinds of moves often come down to who's on schedule.

Kc61
07-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Hoover has been working short relief, probably isn't stretched out for a long stint.

Redmond could be a one game backstop in case Cueto's blister is a problem. Redmond is a starter who is better able to pitch, say, 3-4 innings.

My guess is that Redmond is coming up for a short stay, to be replaced soon after by Hoover or someone else.

REDREAD
07-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I tend to agree but after yesterday's "it's a scheduled day off" to "out 3-4 weeks" I'm a bit concerned

That's my fear too. Kearns had a "blister" that required surgery.

medford
07-17-2012, 12:19 PM
That's my fear too. Kearns had a "blister" that required surgery.

I always though kearns had a hole in his hand? Well that and Ray King sat on him at home plate.

Sea Ray
07-17-2012, 12:32 PM
My thought on Sat night when I heard about Cueto's blister was "will two days be enough"? My guess is he needs about a week off

CySeymour
07-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I hope if there is any doubt they go ahead and hold Cueto back. No need to risk losing him for a month.

dougdirt
07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I hope if there is any doubt they go ahead and hold Cueto back. No need to risk losing him for a month.

Which is why I think this move makes sense. Cueto probably looks and feels fine. But at the first sign of an issue, I imagine that they will yank him and that is why they need perhaps two long guys tonight (LeCure and Redmond).

The Operator
07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe it's the former pitcher in me, but I'm a little concerned about Cueto's blister. If it's bad enough, a blister can really affect your location, movement, pitch selection, everything really.

My junior year in HS the ump basically told my coach to bring in a differnet pitcher because on one fastball the blister actually popped and well, nobody likes trying to hit or handle a bloodied up baseball.

chicoruiz
07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'd just go ahead and start Redmond tonight- I think in the long run we'd be glad we gave Cueto the extra time off.

jhu1321
07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'd just go ahead and start Redmond tonight- I think in the long run we'd be glad we gave Cueto the extra time off.

Inclined to agree. Let's not make a panic move b/c of Votto being out and endanger our ace being out during that time as well.:thumbdown:

cumberlandreds
07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
A lot of times blisters can look ike they are healed and you seem over it. But once you start using that finger again the blister will pop back open. I'm sure bringing up Redmond is just a precaution against this happening to Cueto. Redmond will probably hang around a few days depending on how much the bullpen is used for the next two or three games. If he's not needed he'll probably go back to Louisville by the weekend.

Danny Serafini
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Inclined to agree. Let's not make a panic move b/c of Votto being out and endanger our ace being out during that time as well.:thumbdown:

I don't know, it seems to me that benching Cueto because you're spooked by Votto getting hurt would be the bigger panic move. If Cueto is ready, let him pitch.

klw
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Fay on Redmond being called up.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/17/redmond-getting-call-up/

Todd Redmond’s agency Jet Sports Management tweeted that the right-hander is being called up to the Reds.

Johnny Cueto is scheduled to start tonight. Cueto’s start was pushed back two days because of a blister. I’m told Cueto will start.

Redmond will be here in case the blister cuts Cueto’s start short. The Reds bullpen had to cover six innings last night because of Bronson Arroyo’s short start. Long man Alfredo Simon went three innings.

Redmond was 6-6 with a 3.68 ERA for Gwinnett, Atlanta’s Triple-A club, before being traded to the Reds for Paul Janish on Saturday. Redmond had allowed 107 hits, walked 28 and struck 96 in 105 2/3 innings.

REDREAD
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I always though kearns had a hole in his hand? Well that and Ray King sat on him at home plate.

Maybe it was the hole that they initially said was a blister?
He had a major hand injury that was initailly reported as a blister.
That's what always bugged me about these "medical updates".. they were full of false information.. It was just an excuse for Doc to get radio time. Glad that segment was canceled and we don't have to listen to Doc Blowhard anymore.

Big Klu
07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
And now it's time for America's favorite game show, "Guess The New Guy's Number!"

The only numbers under 60 that are available are 7, 16, 26, and 56.

My guess is that Redmond will be 56. Otherwise it will be something in the 60's (most likely 64, 65, or 67).

Redsfan320
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Redmond will wear #58, as of this post (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/17/reds-announce-redmond-move/) from Fayman. Klu, 52 is also available.

OesterPoster
07-17-2012, 05:14 PM
58...Hector Carrasco? Can't think of any others right now.

vaticanplum
07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Interesting stat: just read that if Cueto starts tonight, the Reds will maintain their streak of having only five starters all season long. I'm in terror mode with the Votto injury, but jeez, I'm waiting for the hammer to drop on our pitching. Five total starters over halfway through the season is very un Reds-like.

Anybody know if/what other teams have only started five pitchers all year?

Tom Servo
07-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Interesting stat: just read that if Cueto starts tonight, the Reds will maintain their streak of having only five starters all season long. I'm in terror mode with the Votto injury, but jeez, I'm waiting for the hammer to drop on our pitching. Five total starters over halfway through the season is very un Reds-like.

Anybody know if/what other teams have only started five pitchers all year?
The Marlins are the only other team this year to do it.

Big Klu
07-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Redmond will wear #58, as of this post (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/07/17/reds-announce-redmond-move/) from Fayman. Klu, 52 is also available.

Technically you're right, but Chad Reineke wore 52 last year and in Spring Training.

I had overlooked 58, which had been assigned to Ron Mahay earlier in the season.

58...Hector Carrasco? Can't think of any others right now.

Steve Parris wore 58. I think Cesar Hernandez did too.

camisadelgolf
07-17-2012, 05:48 PM
2010 Enerio Del Rosario
2008-9 Ramon Ramirez
2007 Pedro Lopez
2005-6 Vern Ruhle
2003 Josh Hall
2002 Carlos Almanzar
2001 Frank Rodriguez
1998-2000 Steve Parris
1997 Richie Lewis
1994-7 Hector Carrasco
1993 Johnny Ruffin
1992-3 Cesar Hernandez
1987 Jeff Treadway
1978 Art DeFreites
1974 Pat Darcy
1938 Jose Cascarella

OesterPoster
07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Technically you're right, but Chad Reineke wore 52 last year and in Spring Training.

I had overlooked 58, which had been assigned to Ron Mahay earlier in the season.

Steve Parris wore 58. I think Cesar Hernandez did too.

Ah yes, from my 3rd base side seats, I recall seeing the back of his jersey every time the Mets hit one over his head in the game that shall not be mentioned.

RedlegJake
07-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing either Redmond or Villareal get a start anyway - there is a lot of games left and a long hot schedule without a lot of off days. Get all the starters an extra day.