PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Balance Draft

HotCorner
07-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Apparently it's today.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35035642&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_35035642

Now that Major League Baseball has gone through its first Draft and signing period under the new rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, it's time to move on to the next phase of the new system: the Competitive Balance Lottery.

The lottery, scheduled to take place Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. ET in New York, is a mechanism designed to help teams perceived to need the most assistance by awarding extra Draft picks to some of them. The 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams will have the chance to win one of six extra selections in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.

Those half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, following the compensation selections. Because there is obvious crossover between those two groups, there are 13 teams entered into the first-round lottery: the D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Royals, A's, Pirates, Padres, Rays, Reds, Rockies, Marlins, Brewers and Cardinals. The odds of winning a Draft pick will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season.

JaxRed
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Technically, it's the lottery today to find out the picks....

And it's Wednesday.

Mario-Rijo
07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Just FYI I read where those picks are tradeable also. Pretty cool...

HotCorner
07-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Technically, it's the lottery today to find out the picks....

And it's Wednesday.

Apparently I didn't read thoroughly. :laugh:

Gallen5862
07-17-2012, 09:34 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35035642&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&tcid=tw_article_35035642

There will be a second group of six picks, to be made after the conclusion of the second round. The teams from the first group that did not get one of the early picks will be re-entered, along with any other Major League team that receives revenue sharing. This year, only one team -- the Tigers -- will be added to the second lottery. The Competitive Balance Lottery winners and the order of their picks will be unveiled on MLB Network's "The Rundown" at 2:45 p.m. ET.

bellhead
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
From what I understand we could get an extra 1st or 2nd round pick out of this correct?

Gallen5862
07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes. If the Reds dont get a first round pick then they enter the second round lottery.

OesterPoster
07-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I didn't realize the picks could be traded until reading about the draft earlier today too. That's a nice new wrinkle.

Scrap Irony
07-18-2012, 01:15 PM
A supplimental 1st or 2nd, yeah.

It's also tradeable-- which is interesting. Especially considering next year's draft looks deep and strong at this point.

redsmetz
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
A supplimental 1st or 2nd, yeah.

It's also tradeable-- which is interesting. Especially considering next year's draft looks deep and strong at this point.

I wonder if they'll be able to be traded before this year's trade deadline. That would a nice chip to have.

Are these sandwich picks for this going to be subject to the same draft pool (or is perhaps some prorated additional amount added to allow for these signings)?

Benihana
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
And?

OesterPoster
07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
They can trade those picks this year, but not during the offseason (mlbtraderumors):

MLB teams can trade the draft picks they obtain in the Competitive Balance Lottery. The picks, which can only be traded once, cannot be sold or traded during the offseason. In theory, the draft picks could be involved in some of this summer’s deadline deals.

Benihana
07-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Wasn't the lottery 40 minutes ago? Does anyone know the results?

Gallen5862
07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
The Competitive Balance Lottery winners and the order of their picks will be unveiled on MLB Network's "The Rundown" at 2:45 p.m. ET.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
2nd rd.

1 - SD
2 - Cle.
3 - Col.
4 - A's
5 - Mil.
6 - Det.

Means we will get 1 at the end of the 1st, yay!

Benihana
07-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Reds should get a first rounder...

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
2nd rd.

1 - SD
2 - Cle.
3 - Col.
4 - A's
5 - Mil.
6 - Det.

Sounds like good news for Reds fans

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Sounds like good news for Reds fans

Absolutely, we'll know sometime after the break who gets what at the end of the 1st.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Here we go.

1 - K.C.
2 - Pitt.
3 - D-Backs
4 - O's
#5 Reds (Or pick # 36)
6 - Marlins

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Here we go.

1 - K.C.
2 - Pitt.
3 - D-Backs
4 - O's
#5 Reds (Or pick # 36)
6 - Marlins

Fine. I'll take it

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 02:55 PM
How do we know which pick it'll be? Might there be FA comp picks added before our pick?

texasdave
07-18-2012, 02:57 PM
And the dreaded Cardinals get shut out. Nice.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
How do we know which pick it'll be? Might there be FA comp picks added before our pick?

It was listed/billed on the show as the picks #32-37 and #70-75. Which would make ours pick #36. I'm guessing no on your 2nd question.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
And the dreaded Cardinals get shut out. Nice.

:thumbup:

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM
It was listed/billed on the show as the picks #32-37 and #70-75. Which would make ours pick #36. I'm guessing no on your 2nd question.

I was wondering about this line from the first post in this thread:

Those half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, following the compensation selections

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I was wondering about this line from the first post in this thread:

Could be then.

Something to add here as far as trading the picks.

Only a team that wins a pick in the lottery can trade it, meaning that selection can be traded just once. It can't be sold for cash, and it may only be dealt during the season. Trading can commence the day after the lottery is held and is allowed until the end of that regular season.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Teams most likely to deal the picks?? I gotta think Detroit and Pittsburgh will be itching to, both for competitive reasons. But also because Pitt will also have the #9 pick in the 1st as well. Cincy and Cleveland would be possibilities as well.

Gallen5862
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I would think the Reds would want to hold on to the pick. The big value of the pick is the slot amount. It adds to the Reds draft pool number. It could possably allow the Reds to go over slot somewhere in the draft.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I would think the Reds would want to hold on to the pick. The big value of the pick is the slot amount. It adds to the Reds draft pool number. It could possably allow the Reds to go over slot somewhere in the draft.

I do too, which I why I kind of put them behind Detroit and Pitt. But they are still in a situation where this would be a great year for making a big move at the deadline and teams would be drooling for that pick.

texasdave
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Major league free agent compensation will be completely revised in 2013, with a team having to offer its former players who became free agents the average of the top 125 contracts -- currently about $12.4 million -- to receive draft-pick compensation if a player signs with a new team. It eliminates the statistical formula that had been in place since the 1981 strike settlement.

I imagine this is gonna cut down a lot on free agent compensation. The Reds received comp picks for both Cordero and Hernandez in this year's draft. The Reds don't get those comp picks if they have to offer either player around 12.4 million to get them. I think I am reading that correctly.

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
I imagine this is gonna cut down a lot on free agent compensation. The Reds received comp picks for both Cordero and Hernandez in this year's draft. The Reds don't get those comp picks if they have to offer either player around 12.4 million to get them. I think I am reading that correctly.

Yeah I knew it was gonna get cut down significantly but that looks like only about the top 2-3 players an offseason will require compensation, wow. Well maybe more like 5-8 in a good year.

OesterPoster
07-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Exactly. Asked Callis a similar question, and his response:

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
High. #mlbdraft dollars are coveted. Q: Any idea what potential value of a lottery pick would be in trade proposals this year?

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Sounds like there will be significantly fewer comp picks this yr

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
I am thinking no to a trade of this pick for Juan Pierre. The rest of you with me on this?

Mario-Rijo
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I am thinking no to a trade of this pick for Juan Pierre. The rest of you with me on this?

Absolutely. I wouldn't even deal it for Quentin. Upton, Hamels, Greinke, Felix, etc sure. Personally my cut off would be maybe Span, and that's a shade iffy. Stubbs and the pick for Span and cash to make up at least some reasonable amount of the difference between the players and I do it.

No to any rentals unless it's the aforementioned Hamels or Greinke (depending on the rest of the package).

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I have a theoretical. Is it possible for a team with two or three first round-first round comp picks to "punt" one pick sort of - I mean reach for a guy who'd normally be a say third or fourth rounder and then get him to sign for a lot less than slot (still a big jump in $ for him)
to free up a bunch of money to use on other picks. Wouldn't really be throwing that pick away if you figured you could then grab a couple college bound reaches that other teams were afraid to try and draft.

oregonred
07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Great news for the Reds. Nice.

Still loving the extras for Ramon and CoCo from this year.

I'm really surprised the higher revenue/bigger markets agreed to this, but great news for the Reds to continue reloading.

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Great news for the Reds. Nice.

Still loving the extras for Ramon and CoCo from this year.

I'm really surprised the higher revenue/bigger markets agreed to this, but great news for the Reds to continue reloading.

Especially love the Cards losing out completely!

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
As for a trade I think it gives Walt a tremendously valuable weapon he didn't have before. Suddenly he has a much, much better arsenal to trade with. Now its not just prospects but a high pick and the dollars that go with it. Not a lot of teams can match that. Not saying he has to use it but it's nice to have it!

corkedbat
07-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Absolutely. I wouldn't even deal it for Quentin. Upton, Hamels, Greinke, Felix, etc sure. Personally my cut off would be maybe Span, and that's a shade iffy. Stubbs and the pick for Span and cash to make up at least some reasonable amount of the difference between the players and I do it.

No to any rentals unless it's the aforementioned Hamels or Greinke (depending on the rest of the package).

Heisey and the pick maybe. I want Stubbs around to battle for time with Span. I'm OK with Drew against lefties.

corkedbat
07-18-2012, 09:12 PM

Heisey and the pick maybe. I want Stubbs around to battle for time with Span. I'm OK with Drew against lefties. In Heisey's case, I think a change of scenery for Chris would do wonders for me.

PuffyPig
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
I have a theoretical. Is it possible for a team with two or three first round-first round comp picks to "punt" one pick sort of - I mean reach for a guy who'd normally be a say third or fourth rounder and then get him to sign for a lot less than slot (still a big jump in $ for him)
to free up a bunch of money to use on other picks. Wouldn't really be throwing that pick away if you figured you could then grab a couple college bound reaches that other teams were afraid to try and draft.

Absolutely. Blue jays punted something like picks 6-10 this year.

Astros had a pre-arranged deal for their 1st pick and saved enough $$$ to sign a late first who fell.

fearofpopvol1
08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Since it's not clear to me, how does this 1st round supplemental pick the Reds have factor into the draft budget? Is there a max cap for this pick?

Plus Plus
08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Since it's not clear to me, how does this 1st round supplemental pick the Reds have factor into the draft budget? Is there a max cap for this pick?

My understanding is that every pick is slotted at a certain amount of money (within the top 10 rounds) and that the money is then added together to form the draft budget for a team. So, if a team somehow had 5 comp round picks, they would have extra money to play with as a result rather than being effectively penalized compared to a team with only 10 picks rather than 15.

...if that makes sense.

fearofpopvol1
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
My understanding is that every pick is slotted at a certain amount of money (within the top 10 rounds) and that the money is then added together to form the draft budget for a team. So, if a team somehow had 5 comp round picks, they would have extra money to play with as a result rather than being effectively penalized compared to a team with only 10 picks rather than 15.

...if that makes sense.

Thanks, it definitely does!