PDA

View Full Version : The Trout/Harper debate

Brutus
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
OK I confess, I'm fully on the Trout bandwagon. Make no mistake, I think Harper is going to be a star. What he's doing, at least for his age, is impressive. However, right now he's an .800 OPS bat which relative to the league, is still a long way from being 'the man.'

Trout, meanwhile, just one year older is knocking on the door of a 1.000 OPS. Yes, I realize he struggled last year in minimal action. Nonetheless, he's tearing the cover off the ball.

Through tonight...

Player (BA-HR-RBI-SB-OBP-SLG-OPS)

Trout (.355-13-44-30-.408-.582-.990)
Harper (.275-8-26-11-.347-.457-.804)

I'm gonna stick to my guns on this. Given the speed and defense, I think Trout is going to be winning this comparison a lot more often than people have been assuming.

dougdirt
07-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I am still taking Harper in the long run. Both are incredibly to watch though. I love it.

RedlegJake
07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
I'll take Trout. Harper is flashy and he is good but Trout is just incredible. I love the way both of them pay the game, though. Full tilt and they act like they respect who has gone before, too.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
I'll take Trout.

I just have a feeling Harper's career won't last long. Not sure why. Just a hunch. Plus, he is kind of annoying. Incredibly special, but annoying.

Brutus
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I am still taking Harper in the long run. Both are incredibly to watch though. I love it.

We can make this like the East Coast-West Coast Rap feud lol

westofyou
07-17-2012, 11:44 PM
I've seen more Trout than Harper, I'm impressed with Trout, but Harper is a LH hitter and in the long run that will help a guy.

But man I like to watch Mike Trout play baseball.

AtomicDumpling
07-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Choosing between Trout and Harper is kind of like choosing between Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron.

Mike Trout will be more of an all-around player with better defense, more speed and more contact hitting -- more like Mickey Mantle.

Bryce Harper will be a true slugger but will still be a complete player too -- more like young Hank Aaron.

To compare them to Reds history I would expect Mike Trout to be similar to Eric Davis or Joe Morgan. Bryce Harper will be more like Tony Perez or Ted Kluszewski.

RANDY IN INDY
07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Choosing between Trout and Harper is kind of like choosing between Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron.

Mike Trout will be more of an all-around player with better defense, more speed and more contact hitting -- more like Mickey Mantle.

I agree. Just told my son the other day that Trout reminded me of "Mickey Mantle." With that said, those are some big shoes to fill.

AtomicDumpling
07-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I agree. Just told my son the other day that Trout reminded me of "Mickey Mantle." With that said, those are some big shoes to fill.

Yep, and hopefully Trout's knees last longer than Mantle's did.

RedsManRick
07-18-2012, 09:54 AM
The comparison isn't perfect at all, but I kind of feel like Harper = Griffey, Trout = ARod. Trout is the more complete player, but I doubt he'll ever get the pub of Harper.

RANDY IN INDY
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
I like Atomic Dumpling's comparison much better. Arod isn't even an outfielder.

RANDY IN INDY
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Me too!

Sea Ray
07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Trout was result of a compensation pick for the Angels losing Mark Texeira to the Yankees. That's some comp pick and great immediate return for a guy drafted only 3 yrs ago

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM

And doesn't drink as much.

Ghosts of 1990
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
One thing you're all forgetting is Harper is 19. During Trout's 19 year old season he basically flunked out and got sent back down to the minors. Edge, Harper.

Now do I think that Harper hits .340 next year and steals around 40 or 50 like Trout will? No way. But he might hit 30 and steal 20. They're different kind of players. They're both true 'generational' talents. Prospects that come along ONCE every thirty years and they've both arrived at the same time. This isn't Bruce or Heyward or Stanton level prospects. These guys are above that pedigree even.

Ghosts of 1990
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM

FWIW, Al Kaline said the same thing recently. And he played against Mantle.

RANDY IN INDY
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
FWIW, Al Kaline said the same thing recently. And he played against Mantle.

Man, Al Kaline was some kind of ballplayer and an even better man.

westofyou
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Man, Al Kaline was some kind of ballplayer and an even better man.

My first baseball hero and always my favorite.

WildcatFan
07-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm taking Harper by a hair, but if they're both at the plate at the same time while I'm at a sports bar, I'm stopping to watch Trout.

If the Nats and Angels don't play in interleague next year, I'm calling for Selig's head. Those are arguably the two most exciting teams in baseball (sorry Texas).

Dan
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
And doesn't drink as much.

I heard he drinks like a fish. :D

dougdirt
07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
We can make this like the East Coast-West Coast Rap feud lol

I would rather not talk trash about you at award shows or try to send my boys out to shoot you. I tend to like you.

bucksfan2
07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I wonder if Harper's intensity will hurt him in the long run.

edabbs44
07-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I think the true test for these guys will be when they hit the inevitable dip in production. Watching how they deal with that will be interesting.

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
I heard he drinks like a fish. :D

Ba-da-bing. :laugh:

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I wonder if he has Tim Salmon's old locker.

Ghosts of 1990
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Does either one end up wearing pinstripes?

powersackers
07-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Trout went oppo last night and it bounced nearly out of Comerica. Harper's triple last night nearly knocked the RF wall down. So much fun watching their mlb.com highlights. I choose both!

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I wonder if Harper's intensity will hurt him in the long run.

His intensity won't, but his relationship with Scott Boras probably will. Harper seems like the mercenary type who will say "I only want to win" and then chase the most money. Trout seems more like the Jay Bruce type who will sign a team-friendly deal to stick around with the Angels.

Johnny Footstool
07-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Also, this:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/32421/middle-relief-rating-the-rookie-eras

Brutus
07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
One thing you're all forgetting is Harper is 19. During Trout's 19 year old season he basically flunked out and got sent back down to the minors. Edge, Harper.

Now do I think that Harper hits .340 next year and steals around 40 or 50 like Trout will? No way. But he might hit 30 and steal 20. They're different kind of players. They're both true 'generational' talents. Prospects that come along ONCE every thirty years and they've both arrived at the same time. This isn't Bruce or Heyward or Stanton level prospects. These guys are above that pedigree even.

No one is forgetting that. In fact, it was mentioned in original post.

That said, Trout's struggles at 19 have nothing to do with what Harper will do at 20, nor does it change the fact Trout at 20 has become of the best all-around players in baseball.

They're different kind of players, sure, but Trout has a better all-around game. He's an exceptional defender and has upper level speed. If Harper reaches the full brunt of his power potential, he'll put up similar value, but if not, Trout will be much more valuable because of the entire package.

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't think that a player failing to do as well at 19 then doing really well at 22 is any indictment at all that he's worse than a guy who does do things well at 19. I don't think it means a thing about the 19 year having any more talent, especially in the career look. All it means is one guy was a bit more physically mature at an earlier age. Period. Says nothing at all about talent.

RANDY IN INDY
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Will be interesting to see how Harper fairs going forward as the league makes adjustments.

Big Klu
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Jerry Manuel is on MLB Network comparing Mike Trout to Raul Mondesi.

Yes, I'm being serious.

thatcoolguy_22
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I think Trout will take this in a landslide. He is already leading the league in WAR and has a near 1.000 OPS. This is about 7 years BEFORE his prime ages. A .994 OPS as a rookie is better than most players career year.

Both are great talents, I just prefer the styling of MT. Sidenote this is very high praise considering the source.

... But man I like to watch Mike Trout play baseball.

I'll put my money on Trout and consider it well spent.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
His intensity won't, but his relationship with Scott Boras probably will. Harper seems like the mercenary type who will say "I only want to win" and then chase the most money. Trout seems more like the Jay Bruce type who will sign a team-friendly deal to stick around with the Angels.

What makes either guy seem that way to you?

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Jerry Manuel is on MLB Network comparing Mike Trout to Raul Mondesi.

Yes, I'm being serious.

I hope the comparison was "Mike Trout has the same number of letters in his first name as Raul Mondesi".

Nathan
07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
I hope the comparison was "Mike Trout has the same number of letters in his first name as Raul Mondesi".

Even that's a stretch.

Michael: 7
Raul: 4

Trout wins, hands down.

dougdirt
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Even that's a stretch.

Michael: 7
Raul: 4

Trout wins, hands down.

Why you little.....!:laugh:

I knew someone would go there. I just knew it.

RANDY IN INDY
07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone see the Mike Trout triple in the Sunday Night Game last night? I hope this kid stays healthy!

Ghosts of 1990
07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I wish Mike Trout was in Cincinnati......

westofyou
07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
I wish Mike Trout was in Cincinnati......

So we can tear him down when he comes to earth?

Seems like a common theme around here.

Screwball
07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Anyone see the Mike Trout triple in the Sunday Night Game last night? I hope this kid stays healthy!

Yep, that was my first time getting to watch him live and my goodness, he was all kinds of impressive. He's just so good at everything that you forget how incredibly young he is. The patience and discipline he displayed on a couple of his walks reminded me of Votto -- he easily recognized and took pitches that would look like strikes, but ended up just out of the zone. He's beyond his years there.

Texas is a very, very good team, but the Angels are just scary, IMO. I'm not sure there's a National League team that could beat either in a 7 game series.

Cedric
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Yep, that was my first time getting to watch him live and my goodness, he was all kinds of impressive. He's just so good at everything that you forget how incredibly young he is. The patience and discipline he displayed on a couple of his walks reminded me of Votto -- he easily recognized and took pitches that would look like strikes, but ended up just out of the zone. He's beyond his years there.

Texas is a very, very good team, but the Angels are just scary, IMO. I'm not sure there's a National League team that could beat either in a 7 game series.

I'm not sure the Angels can win with that rotation and bullepn staff. I would like the Reds chances in a seven games series.

Ghosts of 1990
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
So we can tear him down when he comes to earth?

Seems like a common theme around here.

Cincinnati could never be as rough as Beantown or New York ;)

Johnny Footstool
07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
What makes either guy seem that way to you?

The way they conduct themselves on the field and in interviews. Trout is joyful about the game; Harper is just doing what he's good at.

My opinion is just based on intuition, not anything remotely resembling fact.

Screwball
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure the Angels can win with that rotation and bullepn staff. I would like the Reds chances in a seven games series.

I sure wouldn't.

Jared Weaver and CJ Wilson are an awfully tough 1-2 combo. Haren's shut us down several times in the past. Their offense is clearly superior, especially with Trout raking at the top of the lineup. We all know what Pujols is capable of, and he's been back in form after a horrendous start.

Of course, this isn't to knock the Reds -- they're tough to beat when everybody is playing up to their potential, especially with Cueto on the mound. But the Angels simply have us outgunned offensively and have the requisite TOR arms that are so dangerous in the playoffs.

About the only advantages I see with the Reds are the bullpen and defense. But, I don't think those negate the aforementioned strengths of LA.