PDA

View Full Version : Mark Amazon: Reds about to sign Casey (rumor)

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Not sure this is a credible source, but on the post game show, Mark Amazon concluded based on a Sean Casey tweet that the Reds were going to sign Casey.

Paraphrase of Casey's tweet was "I'm excited as you are.. Coming .. Skyline.."

sorry I can not remember the exact wording. I'm more inclined to believe Casey is coming back just to watch the game.

But it's a topic for discussion.. The point was made that Casey was only out of the game 2 years.. He's a LH bat.. Might be better PH than Harris.
At first, I thought the idea was totally absurd, but if he's coming over only to PH, maybe it's not so crazy.. The minors are that bare.

Captain Hook
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
https://twitter.com/TheMayorsOffice/status/225389507799818241

Sounds like there's some kind of rumor floating around that Casey's not even sure if it's true.I don't know how Amazon got that the Reds might sign him from that tweet.

George Anderson
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Very absurb indeed.

Then again it would give the Reds the opportunity to have like the 32nd "Sean Casey Bobblehead Night" to pack the park.

Playadlc
07-18-2012, 12:27 AM
This can't be serious.

Tom Servo
07-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Apparently it started on WLW and Fay and Sheldon have both said it's just nonsense.

pedro
07-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Not sure this is a credible source, but on the post game show, Mark Amazon concluded based on a Sean Casey tweet that the Reds were going to sign Casey.

Paraphrase of Casey's tweet was "I'm excited as you are.. Coming .. Skyline.."

sorry I can not remember the exact wording. I'm more inclined to believe Casey is coming back just to watch the game.

But it's a topic for discussion.. The point was made that Casey was only out of the game 2 years.. He's a LH bat.. Might be better PH than Harris.
At first, I thought the idea was totally absurd, but if he's coming over only to PH, maybe it's not so crazy.. The minors are that bare.

He hasn't played since 2008

Patrick Bateman
07-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Looking at his stats, he aged more gracefully than I thought. Even at the end he had some ability to get on base. He probably could have tacked on a few ugly years as a bench/DH guy in the AL if he wanted to.

At the same time, I'm pretty shocked that it was believable to someone that he could be having a comeback. :lol:

I hope everyone is easy on RR for this one.

BuckeyeRed27
07-18-2012, 12:53 AM
This is not true. However, the Reds have just signed Jeff Shaw.

07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
This is not true. However, the Reds have just signed Jeff Shaw.

Jeff Shaw probably would be more productive than Casey at this point, unless it was a 5-way eating contest.

RBA
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Maybe for the tv booth.

07-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Maybe for the tv booth.

It would be less painful for Reds fans if he was signed to play 1B.

pedro
07-18-2012, 01:27 AM
Maybe for the tv booth.

That'd be great

Playadlc
07-18-2012, 01:27 AM
Would this be the first time a player has been inducted to the teams HOF and later came back and played for that team?

powersackers
07-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Just to be safe Skyline has extra staff on duty at all stores.

icehole3
07-18-2012, 03:53 AM
cool, bring Larkin back too

corkedbat
07-18-2012, 04:17 AM
I'm still expecting the return of Pokey Reese any day now. :D

Vottomatic
07-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Dmitri Young is in shape and ready to go.

KronoRed
07-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Just get Hal Morris.

Raisor
07-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Does this mean there is a chance for another round of Juan Castro?????

Dan
07-18-2012, 06:25 AM
I heard Nick Esasky's vertigo finally cleared up.

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Joe Morgan was a lefty bat. Why not sign him too? In fact the entire great 8 is still living. Lets ge the band back together again! :)

RedFanAlways1966
07-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I'd be willing to give Eric Davis an opportunity in CF over the team's current non-productive choice(s). Perhaps even Cesar Geronimo...

medford
07-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey, it worked for Jose Rijo :)

I guess WLW's latest "rumor" stunt fooled at least 1 person.

Chip R
07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm just worried that the time away from the game would effect his speed. ;)

medford
07-18-2012, 09:09 AM
My favorite quote about Sean Casey (and I forget who said it, but I think it made its way into SI at one point)

"he's the slowest guy I've ever seen with perfect running form"

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 09:25 AM
He hasn't played since 2008

Ok, I was going by what Amazon said.. 2008 makes more sense.

Yea, this was obviously a joke topic.. but the Reds really need to start turning over rocks and try to find something more valuable than Willie Harris or a 13th pitcher for the roster.

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey, it worked for Jose Rijo :)

I guess WLW's latest "rumor" stunt fooled at least 1 person.

No, I didn't really believe that the Reds were serious about this.
Although I didn't check that Casey had retired in 2008..
I thought it was an amusing topic, that's why I posted it.

Larkin Fan
07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
I heard Chris Sabo is going to be Rolen's new backup.

CrackerJack
07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I tire of the senseless gushing over Casey here (Cincinnati), I don't get it, it's weird.

And of course when Fay asks for people to write Larkin's HOF plaque, people post nothing but hate, wonder why that is? Gee.

wolfboy
07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
We need that magic outfield trio from June 21, 1998 - Young, Frank, & Stynes.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I tire of the senseless gushing over Casey here (Cincinnati), I don't get it, it's weird.

And of course when Fay asks for people to write Larkin's HOF plaque, people post nothing but hate, wonder why that is? Gee.

I think I know what you're implying here and I don't agree. Larkin was loved here and still is.

Casey was loved as well, and I agree the love is somewhat overboard, however he was a big teddy bear that wore his heart on his sleeve. His Reds HOF speech is just an example of that. People love the big lug that acts like a regular guy and that's what Sean Casey is/was. Larkin was a cool customer that didn't show a fraction of the emotion. That's okay, but I just think the common fan can relate more to the "regular guy" that gives great quotes and wears his heart on his sleeve. And that's why there is so much love for Casey.

I'm sure if Fay asked for the fans to write about Adam Dunn, you wouldn't see a lot of nice things posted. The internet brings out the crazies and I wouldn't let a few idiots, hiding behind the anonymity of the keyboard represent what a city or fan base thinks of a player.

That's not fair and it paints with a broad brush, especially considering the implication that goes along with it.

WVRedsFan
07-18-2012, 10:13 AM
It would be less painful for Reds fans if he was signed to play 1B.

This.

WildcatFan
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Casey on Twitter:

Wish I was heading to Cincy to lace em up but just heading there for a speaking engagement! Votto will be back soon raking! Go Reds! Mayor

I imagine him breathlessly yelling everything he tweets, and I smile.

smith288
07-18-2012, 10:23 AM
"Gonna CRUSH me some skyline..."

cumberlandreds
07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Casey on Twitter:

I imagine him breathlessly yelling everything he tweets, and I smile.

I sit possible to tweet a hug or tweet a fist pump?

_Sir_Charles_
07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
We need that magic outfield trio from June 21, 1998 - Young, Frank, & Stynes.

Okay, I've never seen that before...that's freaking hilarious. Did they ever actually put those 3 on the field at the same time?

(this was during my Reds hiatus period right after moving to Texas, so I'm pretty much oblivious to stuff between 91-98)

wolfboy
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Okay, I've never seen that before...that's freaking hilarious. Did they ever actually put those 3 on the field at the same time?

(this was during my Reds hiatus period right after moving to Texas, so I'm pretty much oblivious to stuff between 91-98)

That was the starting outfield on that date.

medford
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I think I know what you're implying here and I don't agree. Larkin was loved here and still is.

Casey was loved as well, and I agree the love is somewhat overboard, however he was a big teddy bear that wore his heart on his sleeve. His Reds HOF speech is just an example of that. People love the big lug that acts like a regular guy and that's what Sean Casey is/was. Larkin was a cool customer that didn't show a fraction of the emotion. That's okay, but I just think the common fan can relate more to the "regular guy" that gives great quotes and wears his heart on his sleeve. And that's why there is so much love for Casey.

I'm sure if Fay asked for the fans to write about Adam Dunn, you wouldn't see a lot of nice things posted. The internet brings out the crazies and I wouldn't let a few idiots, hiding behind the anonymity of the keyboard represent what a city or fan base thinks of a player.

That's not fair and it paints with a broad brush, especially considering the implication that goes along with it.

This, a thousand times this.

As Reds fans, we largely saw the best of Sean Casey's career. Granted his power was sapped by the shoulder injury, but he still hit for a solid average, was always approachable, and never took himself too seriously.

With Barry, we saw his whole career, the build up towards his MVP season and the following season that many argue was his best, then we saw the slow bottoming out as age began to hit. We saw someone who refused (allegedly) to move off of SS when there were potentially better defensive options there, we saw a guy that would occasionally grumble in the media. There was the grumbling with Nuxie when Joe commented over the air that he had lost a step (and if there is anyone in the Cincy area that people universally liked more than Sean Casey, it was Nuxie), there was the albatros of a contract at the end of his career that hamstrun the finances of the team, then the alleged early departure home on a plane along w/ Junior prior to the last out of the season.

On top of all of that, there was the removal of his captain's wishbone "C" that burned more than 1 bridge with a passionate fan base.

I'll always be a fan of Larkin's. He was a great player, one of the best at his position ever, but like BuckeyeRedLeg says he came off largely as a cool cat, unapproachable by the average fan. Now, I never meet him, that may be completely untrue, he comes from a great family and I have little doubt that he's a great father and person himself. However, I can see why that perception is there. I've never heard 1 bad story about Sean Casey, no one has a bad word to say about him.

Blitz Dorsey
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
"Gonna CRUSH me some skyline..."

About four cheese coneys will be absolutely DOMINATED.

Blitz Dorsey
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Wow, at least you don't have the race card left since you already played it.

I couldn't disagree more. I know a BUNCH of people who are making the trek to Cooperstown this summer just because of Larkin. B-Lark was LOVED by Reds fans and still is.

REDREAD
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Sadly, I think Marty bashing Larkin over his last few years has a lot to do with it.. Yet, the radio guys always liked Casey.

The other thing is that Casey never got the "overpaid" label that Larkin did, for some reason..

Larkin should've been the most admired Reds player since 1980.. I'm amazed he's not.

mace
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Off-topic . . . but speaking of Casey . . . I'm fb friends with the father of Nate Kramer, the former UC swimmer who has been dealing with leukemia. Nate is getting his bone marrow transplant today, and his father posted this, with a picture of Nate holding a black bat:

On a day when we need a homerun, Nate received this baseball bat from Sean Casey. It reads, "Big Nate, Your courage inspires me everyday!! Keep that smile on your face and know that I'm thinking about you!! Your friend, Sean Casey @21 - "The Mayor"

RedlegJake
07-18-2012, 03:44 PM
In his last years Larkin was candid and outspoken and criticized the FO and ownership, deservedly so when he did. Cincinnati really doesn't like it's players to do that, though. My hometown remains a conservative burgh despite new growth, shiny suburbs and a younger generation. Players don't speak out at ownership. They don't leave before the season ends (even though that mess was explained almost as soon as it happened and never should have been such a brouhaha). They don't selfishly retain their position when better youngsters are coming up (Pete would have moved over!). The town is stuck in its ways.

I commented on a letter to the Enquirer stating that Selig had an ax to grind against the city which mentioned Pete. I wrote in the comments that Pete didn't deserve enshrinement and Selig didn't have an ax to grind the city would get an All Star game. I was stunned. I got blasted and blasted by commenters and received over 100 messages in my Facebook messagebox, every one calling me names and some threatening me because I was awful enough to challenge Pete's right to Cooperstown! That happened just a week ago! Larkin didn;t meet Pete's ideals I guess. You know, kiss the cities ass and then do whatever he wanted as long as it wasn't sassing the boss and arguing with Nuxie and wanting to stay on your position as long as possible. Ordinary fans saw him as talented and great but selfish and aloof. I think the messagebox campaign was orchestrated by one guy but I was still amazed that Pete would get that kind of support in this day and age!

BTW - I am being VERY careful what I respond to in the Enquirer comment section from now on!! Those people are NUTS!